LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Question about dealing w/ lyme and a puppy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about dealing w/ lyme and a puppy?
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I are finally getting a dog (we are picking him up tomorrow). A 9-week-old beagle puppy. We've wanted one for the longest time, so this is exciting for us.

I'm excited, but I'm also having second thoughts, as I'm the one who works at home, so I'll be at home with the dog all day while my husband is at work. That's actually a good thing for the dog -- having someone home with him all day, but I'm worried about days when I'm really knocked off my feet and feeling so extremely dizzy.

What am I supposed to do on those days? I'm going to have to take the puppy for walks, keep an eye on him from chewing anything, play with him, wear him out, etc. THIS is the only thing I'm worried about with bringing a new puppy into our home.

I know for those of you who have children/babies, it can't be much different. I can only imagine how hard that would be for a mother with lyme taking care of a baby and/or children. The screaming hurts my sensitive hearing enough as it is while in a grocery store with babies around (I know dogs whine, though, so I'm going to have to endure that for a while, as well).

My question is: What do I do on those days that I'm having an extremely terrible time of things? My worst symptom is dizzines, lightheadedness, wooziness, feeling as if I'm going to faint and/or shortness of breath. It gets so bad I feel as if I'll fall over the entire time while standing.

What do you dog owners do? Or even mothers?

I've realized that it's going to also be very hard crate training him as well, and there are going to be nights when I will have to get up and let him out to do his business very late.

I want this to work out, but I'm honestly scared. I love animals and do feel that he can be very helpful for me as well with comforting me while I'm really not feeling well. Animals are good at being comforters.

Does anyone have any suggestions or have gone through this while with lyme?

The last few days for me have been very difficult. I'm been so ill. :\

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just the fact that you are around, will make it easier for the puppy. The puppy won't feel abandoned, because you will be around. You don't always have to pay attention to puppies.

Is there a room that you can make puppy safe? Take all the furniture out out of the room that the puppy can destroy. But make it a place where you can relax. That way when you aren't feeling well, you can go relax in that room, and the puppy can play and go crazy, without you worrying about him destroying anything.

I would also recommend teaching the puppy a command early on that means "leave mommy alone." Maybe you have a puppy bed in that room, and "place" means go to the bed.

It is important that you train early on. Don't give him attention every time he begs for it. On the days you feel up to it, get at least 30 minutes of training in. The days you don't, your husband should do training.

It's a lot of work, but you get incredible love from a puppy. My neighbor has a puppy beagle and he is sooooooooooooo cute!

One other idea, can you afford a dog walker? That's an option for days you aren't feeling well.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would definitely train him to a "place" or the crate right away [as soon as he can comprehend!] and that way he can go there when you're not up to handling him.

I think once he's older he can probably make it through the night in the crate. Could hubby take him out if he needs to go?

Enjoy!! and watch out for ticks, fleas. Maybe get him on Frontline as soon as he is old enough?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
I think once he's older he can probably make it through the night in the crate. Could hubby take him out if he needs to go?

Hubby is a teacher, so he needs as much sleep as possible. Which is why I think I'll be the one to take the dog out at night. We may take turns though... I hope.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my younger dog when she was 8 weeks old and she was crate trained from day one. She never needed to go out during the night.

I just made sure we went out the last thing before bed and first thing in the morning. I also put away her water in the evening to keep her from needing to get up in the middle of the night.

During the other times of the day I kept the door closed to the room I was in to make sure I could keep an eye on her. Another trick is to keep them on a short leash inside so they can't go too far from you.

When I need to rest I always put her in her crate when she was younger. Now she is fine out of it, but I keep my door closed, just in case.

She knows my routines and can tell when I am getting ready to leave the house. I often find her already in her crate lying there, waiting for me to close the door.

My daughter's BF is great with dogs, kind of like the Dog Whisperer, if you are familiar with his show.

He has taught her former out-of-control dog to go "home"' when he needs to settle down. "Home" is his crate. He doesn't have to raise his voice, just tells him, "Go home, Max."

Regular training is important, and knowing basic commands makes it so much easier to add in others.

Enjoy your puppy, they give so much back. There's nothing like coming home from a trip and being greeted by two balls of energy with their tails wagging as fast as they can go.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymed, that was awesome!! I so want a pet....but it will have to wait.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second or third the opinion of getting a crate. If you put treats in there he will think of it as his little den. It makes puppy training much easier. In the beginning, keep him in the crate most of the time except when you're ready to deal with him.

When you let him out of the crate, keep an eye out for good behavior and reward it and discipline him for bad behavior.

I trained my dog to only walk on the tile in our house by using a crate and barricading the kitchen. The day I let down the barricades to the other areas of the house I was waiting for him and the minute he stepped on the carpet he got spritzed in the face.

You may not care if your dog goes throughout your house but the point is that with a crate your dog can be in a place he feels secure when you're too tired to deal with him and it helps you plan your training sessions.

Our puppy slept through the night too. Enjoy your puppy!

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymedad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best therapy we've found for our daughter, her new best friend.

Now our girl has something to put all her love into.

-

Great choice for your own well-being.

Posts: 681 | From California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two real cuties!!!

--------------------
When I lost my grip on Faith in the maze of illness,
Hope gently clasped my hand and led on.

RuthRuth

Posts: 478 | From California | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well as a vet tech, I will throw my opinion out there.

Definitely use a crate. Dogs actually like their crates. It is a safe place for them to go. My dog will go in on her own to sleep with the door open.

Beagles can be very active and can be vocal. Your pup will need some activity. Also get lots of toys that are safe. I like Nylabones and gumabone's for puppies. Avoid Rawhide, pigears etc.

Maybe the pup will lift your spirits and force you to go outside etc. I have 2 small kids and several dogs and if it were not for them I would be in bed all day everyday. I have to function to some degree. I have no choice. It can be hard but it keeps me going.

Do you have a yard? I have a fenced in area that is very secure and I can just open my door and the dogs do their business out there and run around. I clean it a few times a week (it is a big area.)

Get your puppy spayed or neutered at 5 months. I also reccomend a microchip and Frontline (or Advantix when pup is older)

Also watch out for puppy snatchers. Some people do steal dogs so keep an eye on her.

Feel free to PM me with any q's. Good Luck and congrats!!!!!! Melissa [Smile]

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also please consider Pet insurance,

VPI is a good company

Here is a good website

http://www.petplace.com/puppies.aspx

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chewie and Me; my best therapy. He makes sure I get out of bed every morning.

-

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Well, look at all these beautiful women!! Nice pics!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Ellie K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellie K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 10 year-old golden retriever mix, a bunny, and a guinea pig.

Yes, it can be difficult caring for them on my bad days.

But it's worth it. Animals understand. They really do.

They are the best therapy you could ask for! [Big Grin]

Posts: 390 | From Oakland, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I currently have 7 dogs so these are things I did when they were pups.

I kept a box that only had "their" toys/things in it.

Whenever they get to chewing on something they aren't supposed to,

I would redirect them to their box and get them something out of there.

I know pig ears are very bad for dogs, but I gave my puppies chewies to occupy them somtimes.

Crate training is wonderful, however, puppies are not supposed to be

Left in the crate for more than 4 hours at a time during the day.

In order to make sure that a pup gets "housebroken" you need to keep them

On somewhat of a schedule to go outside to do their business.

I used to take mine out every hour and a half.

Right after meals too.

Puppies are a lot of work. However, they are so cute and so much fun.

I love puppy breath.

Enjoy! [Smile]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1Bitten2XShy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just brought a new puppy, an English Bulldog into our home 3 weeks ago. We thought long and hard about it, as we have 3 adult "old" dogs and they know the routine. We were not sure if I could handle the stress of having a baby in the house again.

I can tell you it has been wonderful. We crate train him (Tank is his name). The first week was pure hell, with the crying, cleaning up accidents etc etc. Even getting out to take him to the Vets, as he caught a cold as well the first week was tough.

But now, he so makes me smile...., I love to see his big butt wriggle with joy when he sees me, he lightens my heart and spirits. He takes my mind off of Lyme, even for a brief period of time. Holding him while he sleeps, and petting him is soothing to my soul.

He now goes right to his crate, no issues. If I am feeling really bad and do not think I can watch him (chews and more chewing) I put him in his crate for an hr or so until I feel a little better. He naps and does not mind.

I too have a fenced in yard, so I am lucky I can just let him out to do his thing, and I have him on Frontline Plus, within 1 day of getting him.

They can be alot of work, but I think the joy they bring us as well as I think help in the aid of healing (by positive thoughts), far outweighs the initial hard work!

Enjoy your new baby!

Merrygirl - Thanks for reminding about pigs ears etc. They really are not good for many breeds of dogs, as they get gummy and can get stuck in their throat!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

1Bitten2XShy -

I also have an eglish bulldog. They are so great aren't they!!! I love them. I would strongly suggest pet insurance for your bulldog, as I am sure you know they can have a lot of problems. When my dog was a pup it only cost $20 a month!

I am going to tell you all a story about one night when I was working at the animal hospital.

A woman and her husband rushed their dog into the hospital saying that he was choking. When the dog got there he was not alive, and we were unable to save him. He had a rawhide stuck in his throat. It was VERY stuck. It was very tragic and very sad.

Also, these items such as pigs ears and rawhide are not easily digested, I suggest the Nylabone for older dogs and Gumabones for puppies.

Only my opinion though! Good Luck everyone. Melissa

1Bitten2XShy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merrygirl-

I just love him to death. My first bully. Thank goodness my Vet has 2 of her own.

He is red/white with the natural corkscrew tail. He just turned 12 weeks Tues. and is 10.5 #. He was the runt [Smile] , but has gained 5 lbs in the 3 weeks we have had him.

I am looking into the insurance, I have never had it. I also have 3 boxers, but for the most part they have been very healthy with them being 10, 9 and 7.

I am a tad nervous about neutering him, as I know Bullies can have problems under gas...but always spay and neuter my pets.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

1Bitten2XShy -

They are little clowns for sure. If your vet has 2 of her own you are in good hands. Make sure if you do get him neutered that your doctor does the surgery. Sometimes other vets will do the surgery. I would ask your vet and make sure he/she knows your concern.

Also- is your vet staffed 24 hours a day? If not don't leave him overnight. There will be no one there! A lot of places do this and do not tell the owner.

I personally Never leave my animals overnight.

lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dogs:
 -

Coco, now 2 1/2 years, part Chihuahua, part ??? (hound?)

-

Caleigh, now 7 1/2 years, part Chow, part Beagle (?)

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

OH...aren't they pretty!!! [or handsome?]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Mtndog
Member # 11523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mtndog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got a puppy back in December and the first month was hard but he has been the best companion to me throughout this illness!

For the two weeks, I kept him on a leash in the house so if he started to do something (like eat a pillow) I could pull him away and redirect him.

Also, he really does make me go out more than I would without him. Another thing that would be great is to see if there are any dog parks in your area where he can go and play with other dogs. You can bring a chair, sit back, relax and he'll get his exercise and go home one very sleepy pup. Plus it's fun to watch all that romping and petting a million dogs!  -

Posts: 24 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement