LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Ear Plugs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ear Plugs
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/silnatrubear.html

I just ordered a sample packet of this after talking to the sales rep.

I have tried 4 different earplugs that I purchased locally in town and they did not help for the most part.

I talked to Boise today regarding their noiseless headset.

They said that it would only work if I listened to music. They are designed to cut out outside noises so the music can be heard more clearly.

Since I am not able to listen to music yet this was not an option to cut out sounds.

I'll let you know how they work when I get them about this time next week.

Mostly, I am amazed that I have been dealing with this problem for 6 years now.

It is just now that my brain is beginning to look at ways to resolve the issue.

I think it is because I am doing better and able to do a little trouble shooting now and then.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be interested in how these work for you as I am an ear plug wearer! Melissa
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boise are supposed to be the cadillac of this kind of product- i believe their stuff is based on their for-music line.

you may also want to check out PELTOR, especially their "earmuffs". Peltor's line is designed for industry.

they have a range to choose from, depending on what kind of noise you need blocked out, some are just for kids, and they are incredibly reasonably priced.

i'm going to order 2 this weekend- one for me and one for my 5 year old...

dilly

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did a search on pelter ear muffs and found lots to choose from.

Do you have recommendation?

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi kam--

not yet, am trying to figure out the best choice for filtering out loud noises- for my 5 year old that includes every single sound in a public bathroom- but that will allow for people's voices.

the cost is so low we are ok with experimenting with several different kinds of ear things. will let you know what we find, if you'd like.

dilly

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Looks like this post is to be continued about a week from now...

..when I get my ear plugs and you get your ear muffs.

....I really think the ear muffs are the way to go.

..I keep hearing my audiology teacher in college saying don't put anything larger than your elbow in your ear because the ear drum is so fragile [Smile]

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have three sets of the Bose . . . each model from several years ago . . . but not the newest one that is smaller on the ear.

the earlier models had a horrible hiss that the newer one does not.

as for wearing ear plugs, if hyperacusis is so miserable, I think it is essential not to further stress the body. In my case even soft sounds can trigger seizures.

many type of earplugs on the market, of course. for me, especially at night, it makes the tinnitus worse sort of locking it in. Earplugs also make dental worse more miserable.

an audiologist can make some specially molded earplugs, with or without a little breathing hole in them with a plug to filter most louder sounds.

they are called musician's earplugs (or were ten years ago). my trouble is they made them too thick and the little plug pops out in public. If the seal is broken from any ear plug it is not effective.

If getting an MRI it's important to have the tightest seal possible.
Last MRI they had a metal stethescope (sp?) to fit into ear so they could also talk over a microphone. the metal frame made it impossible for the ear plug to seal and the microphone was so loud I blasted off like a rocket. so, ask questions if an MRI

back to to normal day-to-day stuff. the thicker, lighter color foam earplugs block out WAY more than the orange peanut-candy type. I'd not wear the same pair more than a couple of days myself, wondering about germs. I also wonder about the foam, but I gotta do something and it sounds like you - or your child, too.

the BOSE, now. they have nice payment plan for anyone. $30. or $35 a month for a year. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LISTEN TO MUSIC FOR THEM TO WORK. They will work on their own, no music piped in, HOWEVER, you cannot listen to music without the noise cancellation feature on. I wish that were possible.

BOSE are not great but still a life safer. they do temper down certain sharp sounds and bring down the level of the refrigerator, the dishwasher, air planes, buses (motor, NOT bus brakes).

they will not work with leaf blowers or rap/bass beats from stereos of cars, other apts. Peltor muffs then for me.

BOSE are great for movies to soften the sudden shifts - even if a car door closes in a movie (but not so much on the parking lot).
they will dampen the beep-beep jolts of folks' car alarm setting or openings.

BOSE are great for the grocery store to dampen the check out beeps and the loud music, but will not, again, help if heavy beats or other sharp or deep percussion.

I have to wear ear plugs underneath. I have custom made earplugs from the audiologist. they are molded sort of gel-like.
Big enough to pop out just a little for air.

walking in sealed ear plugs can really make vertigo worse for me and thinking is simply not possible. I'd probably run in front of a car if it beeped just as a deer in the headlights from confusion.
So, if a child is new to earplugs, that is something to mention.

Check out the Hyperacusis Network - just google it. They will have other hints.

When I could take doxycl. (before it caused rashes) doxyc. was the only Rx or supplement that dampened the hyperacusis for me. It was like magic. I miss it.

Still, best of luck to you. Some doctors say don't protect the ears too much. But I think they don't know abou the efffects of sound with lyme-brain and adrenal exhaustion. adrenal stuff itself can cause hyperacusis. rest is good, too, if ears have been pushed for a while.

take care - hope some of this helps.

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. I did research on all the noise cancellation headsets - last time a year ago. may be a new other brand, but then BOSE was the best of the cancellation type, mostly as they cover the ear. Some others don't.

also - anything over 85 decibels for 90 seconds can damage our ears. Vacuums and hairdryers are about 100 dB. (the Bose do nothing for the vacuum, but Peltor helps).

even with some of the limitations, my noise cancellation headset has been a wonderful help and it goes with me at all times. It has prevented many seizures or falls from startles.

Still, the Peltor construction muffs are more effective over all - and I find they block out more of the sharp sounds in stores, traffic than the Bose. Peltor works better in public rest rooms than the Bose by a long shot.

Kam, thanks for the SilentEar plug site. no foam. I've had a set of these and forgot about them. Nice . . . and washable, too. Thanks.

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always travel with Macks earplugs in my bag -- soft wax, easily moldable, ready to use in emergency Noisy Situ...
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Keebler...thanks for the great info.

Robin. I am not sure what kind of waxy ear plugs I have but they did nothing for me.

Speaking of earplugs. It is time to put some in this am. The sound of the cicade (sp?) in the tree outside my window is too much.

I am hoping if I get in the habit of having earplugs in more, I will be able to do more.

It seems sounds shut me down or drain me pretty quickly.

char
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just changed from traditional LLMD to naturapath. She says hyperacusis and light sensitivity are related to adrenal problems.

I have not heard that before. We are adressing adrenal issues-will keep you posted.

Char

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Char,

Very interesting. My LLMD did say my adrenals needed work.

I have had the earplugs delivered. They looked good.

But, so far, they have not helped. I have 3 different sizes. Still trying to figure out if I am not putting them in correctly or what.

The high pitch sound in my ears is a factor too.

Waiting for ear muffs to be delivered.

kam
Member # 3410

Got the ear muffs last night. Hope to try them out today.

They are big and bulky.

kam
Member # 3410

Tried the ear muffs out at the dog park this am.

Very nice. I could sit with the others and not hear the conversations....which usually zap me and I have to leave or sit by myself.

Rosie got to play longer because I lasted longer.

I was even able to throw a couple of balls for her and play a little with her.

amazing how sound zaps you with this.

kam
Member # 3410

Used the ear muffs at the hot tub/pool tonight.

That worked well too. I usually last 5 min in the hot tub.

I was able to be there 15 min.

I could not hear the music that was playing for the water aerobics class which is a good thing.

I had them on for all of outing tonight. It was a more relaxing outing.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement