LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » How to deal with schools who seem to think we are drug addicts or something....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to deal with schools who seem to think we are drug addicts or something....
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both my husband and I have chronic Lyme, as well as our older son. We have recently been having run ins with the kids schools...

Last week my husband signed up to chaperone a field trip; but felt awful and called to say he wouldn't be able to get there until noon.

When he arrived at the school, the principal called him into her office (we had forgotten to send our son's permission slip, therefore he'd had to wait in the office.)

She basically reamed him out; asked him what was wrong with him, and told him there was no such thing as Chronic Lyme Disease, and referred to the recent ucONN article!

My husband looked horrible, his eyes were all bloodshot (he has rosacea of the eyes), and it was pretty clear that they must have thought we are substance abusers.

It was also pretty clear that people had been talking around the school, since he never said he had "chronic lyme disease."

The school had been trying to call us; we both felt horrible that day and were sleeping. We hadn't heard the phone.

My husband has sleep apnea and sleeps with a CPAP machine, and I sleep with earplugs. We both went back to sleep after the kids went off to school, and neither of us had heard the phone.

So any suggestions on how to deal with the school? We live in a very small town; and I'm sure now that people are talking!!!!

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tracy, so sorry to read about this and how it affects your kids!

geneal used to work for the school system ....social worker. i'm sure she will come along.

look for her membership number since she just posted something.

then do a search in GENERAL SUPPORT; i'm sure her osts about schools hve been in this area.

good luck! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmmm.

First of all it is not the school system's business to discuss your health issues.

I would be livid.

I would probably hire an attorney to send a letter specifically taking them to task

For violating your privacy, diagnosis' and abilities.

Holy Cow!

I would definitely call the Superintendent of the School system in your area and heartily voice

My discontent of their handling of your situation.

If you had wanted or needed their opinion as to your health and situation, you could have asked them.

Serious crossing over of boundaries. One that needs to be addressed administratively or through an attorney.

I would also ask the Superintendent about a change of school for your child.

How can he function in a hostile environement?

Yikes!

What jerks. They obviously feel that their power in that school is absolute to be so brazen and stupid at the same time.

I am getting madder and madder thinking about this. [Mad]

Let me think about it for a while and see if I can come up with more.

Hang in there. [Smile]

I guess I would also ask to see their Medical Degrees since they are

Such an authority on medical conditions and issues. [shake]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS: We are on drugs.....just not the "good" kind. [Big Grin]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would follow Geneal's advice, don't do nothing ... something needs to be done.

I would also print out the latest study by Fallon (I think) and give it to the principal.

It truly is none of their business.

We now live in a city with a lot of students ... we moved from a small town. I must admit, there is comfort in the anonymity of a larger town. I never volunteer for anything because of Lyme.

My kids teachers usually know, but no one really beyond that. And since it's not commonly diagnosed here, no one really knows much about it other than I'm sick.

I'd be very irritated and concerned if I were you. Very irritated. Ugh.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Freethinker
Member # 13002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freethinker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shame on those folks...how dare they humiliate you and your husband in such a manner.

[cussing]

girl, i would arm myself with data and my unusually large mouth and go before the school board. Don't let them intimidate you! They work for you and your children remember.

They need to be put in their "place" like good little girls and boys...lol...(Free puts them in dunce caps in the corner)

they are just like bullies. Once you stand up to them, you shouldn't have any more problems.

hugs* for you and hubby!

[kiss]

--------------------
Stop Lyme Cryme!

-Data Over Dogma
Evidence Over Egos
Patients Over Politics.
-EJ Masters

Peer Observations Magazine

Posts: 40 | From Southern Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter would go to school, and her pupils would be dialated. You know every football player asked her if she would sell some of her "stuff"?!!! They wouldn't give her the time of day, otherwise.

One day, she came out of the girls bathroom and a teacher stopped her and asked if she was doing drugs in the bathrooom.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry for your having gone through that with the school person.

how about DVDs from ILADS of their last seminar ?

the support group nearest you may have them and they may have a speakers' bureau of sorts. An in-service presentation for all the school system by ILADS or LDA reps ?

I know this is a lot of work and worry.

too bad we have to present our cases to prove our innocence (sp?)

Come Spring . . . lyme educaton / prevention for all the students ?

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all so much for the support!! I will write more about it later; it's one am. right now.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement