LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » SSDI nightmare...,,what happends next??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SSDI nightmare...,,what happends next??
ks mom
Member # 11626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ks mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't post much on here but I have a friend in a very severe situation and I cannot believe this is happening here in the U.S,

Right now she is on a heart/lung transplant list, has a bunch of other medical conditions going on, is on a respirator, a bunch of meds and is not expected to last much longer.

She is at home and receiving no at home care other than respitory therapy.
Has a sister that is helping out with errands and paperwork, but we are at a loss right now.

She was approved and started SSDI, Keystone health insurance and foodstamps in March after having to leave her job.

She has gone downhill quickly since then and is now completely bedridden and cannot do daily activities.

She was informed on Monday that her insurance is being canceled on the 29 of Oct. due to making too much SSDI.

She is losing her foodstamps as well for the same reason [dropped to 10 a month]

If she doesn't keep her doc appointments she may lose her SSDI as well.

Without insurance, she can't afford lung doc.
We are hoping that he will accept a payment plan/

We can get the meds from Walmart but not sure what to do about anything else at the moment.

She will lose her oxygen on Wednesday unless a waiver she had to sign gets approved.

I know that there are so many others out there going through stuff like this as well, but I cannot belive that 'the system' will just let a person die like that.

I really thought that of everyone I know or know of, she definately qualified...and well, she did, but THIS?!!

Making too much when THEY set it up for her?!!

The food we can manage, the meds we can manage as long as Walmart still has their no insurance plan going, but how the heck can we keep her oxygen from being taken?

Does Lindcare still help those with no money/no insurance?

She is in PA by the way.

I don't know how to help my friend and I am truly floored that the system has turned this cold and stupid! I knew it was bad, but not like this.

I don't know what else to do or say other than does anyone have suggestions or input?

Oh, almost forgot [husband mentioned this as he reviewed this post]
She was referred by SS to the Council on Aging but she is too young. Was referred to another agency with a 2 year waiting list.

ks mom

Posts: 94 | From Wichita KS | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a horrorshow. Insurance companies must be staffed by recycled souls of the dammned.

Although, in honesty -- at the blackest of times I've always come across one real, wonderful, courageous and competent human being who cut through the bureaucracy and made things turn out right. I wish, with all my might, the same for you.

I've PMed you with some specific info for legal SSDI help in PA that might be useful and brought up the Disability post that has some links that could help.

Best of luck to all of you.

--------------------

RECIDITE, PLEBES! Gero rem imperialem!
(Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.)

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm so disgusted to read this! [cussing]

glad minou came to your defense.

also, CALL her state senators/house rep in washington dc...working both parties! make them awar of this! they can get something done!

also look thru melanie rebers FINANCIAL RESORCES..

Methods of Coping with Financial Burdens... by Melanie Reber
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/035162.html

Methods of Coping with Financial Burdens...
Getting to the Doctor:
Affording the Medication:
Emergency Funds:
Gathering your Resources:
Know your Expenses:
Deduct your Expenses:
Paying your Bills:
Learn to Budget:
Cutting Back:
Disability Issues:
Other Programs:
Home Loans:
Bankruptcy:
How you can make a difference:

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can a person have Oxygen taken away? That is so messed up. It makes me ill.
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She should contact the state health and human services department and the county health department. Keystone is a state health insurance program, correct? The state or county might have another program for people on SSDI before Medicare kicks in.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsy_bitsyone
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ks...

That's PA for you. ONCE a well written letter to the appropriate person shouting discrimination worked for me temporarily, but otherwise I couldn't get any help in PA.

In my County (I don't know what county your friend is in) you cannot get assistance in Cash if you make more than $226 a month.

Who lives on $250 a month? I could only get assistance if I turned over my child's child support...and the assisistance I would get would be less than the child support...therefore, all I could possibly qualify for was the amount of the support...which shouldn't be going to ME to begin with...it's my kid's.

Really, it was awful. I lost everything and couldn't get a cent simply because I was getting a lousy $300 a month in child support.

I was told by people outside PA that I was nuts..that what happened to me wouldn't happen to anyone in the USA...that these state and county offices were too liberal to let me be out on the street. But, I still lost everything when I was very sick.

In PA now, still, I have a job. I have to work full time because there isn't any help. I live with family...and as a result before I got this job, I didn't qualify for help because unless my family qualified for help, they were expected to support and feed me. Seriously. I was told I couldn't get food stamps to help with the grocery bills of what my child and I were eating because my family that I lived with didn't qualify.

I am sorry to hear it happening to anyone else, but it depends on where you are in PA as to whether or not you can truly get help.

Your friend is in my prayers.

Greatcod
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She might be eligible for Medicaid coverage before her Medicare kicks in.
In my state, Medicare is not income tested but it is asset tested. In other words, her eligibility may depend more on how much cash/savings she has than what the SSDI income is.
This is the number to get ahold of the Medicaid folks.
Good luck, what is happening is appalling.

Office of Medical Assistance Programs
717-787-1870

funknugget
Member # 12897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for funknugget   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. What are some of your mother's medical conditions?

Have you researched medicare thoroughly to see if she would qualify now? I'm just learning about it, but I believe they go back to the time when you became disabled, not when you started receiving payments, but I'm not sure.

There is an eligibility form that can give you and idea of what she might be eligible for on www.medicare.gov. She may be immediately eligible depending on her conditions, or maybe sooner than you think. Try to work the system.

Also, there is something in Missouri at least called Disability Medicaid that has no income requirements, so looking into medicaid is a good idea as well.

Other than that, call and write everyone - doctors, pharmacists, social workers, churches, state reps, and fight, fight, fight. Try getting this in the news maybe. Sometimes media coverage can be more powerful than anything.

Also, try calling the American Lung Association at 1-800-586-4872. Maybe they have some ideas.

--------------------
Dealing With Lyme's Financial Burden

A Healthy Alternative To Benzos

Posts: 33 | From Kansas City, MO | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by funknugget:

Have you researched medicare thoroughly to see if she would qualify now? I'm just learning about it, but I believe they go back to the time when you became disabled, not when you started receiving payments, but I'm not sure.

funk, i can answer this:

after SSDI is approved by DDS or admin law judge, they will show the date it GOES BACK TO; when you had enough documented medical evidence to show it.

you have to be in the ssdi process for 2 years BACK in order to be eligible for medicare....i'm not saying this right so i'll give you my example.

i was approved 2 years ago; approved date showed them going back 3 years when i applied for my 2nd ssdi. since i was in their system, medicare went into effect 1 yr. earlier on both a and B coverage! so i had NO WAIT; i'd waited earlier!!

if i didn't explain this well enough; let me know ok! [dizzy]

ks mom
Member # 11626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ks mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Very Much for responding.

I'm sorry i haven't gotten back here. Its been a chaotic mess.

I think we did everything suggested except call senators.

Betty,
You are right [at least for my friend]

2 years of disability to qualify for medicaid.

and she makes too much for medical assistance.

Then of course each agency wants you to fill out THE SAME paperwork [and your doc needs to as well] ....Again!

Aniek,
The agencies you mentioned referred her back to the local offices.

Where she gets transferred to a supervisor who either doesn't call back,puts it off another day, or puts it on someone elses desk.

Greatcod,
Its both asset and income.
Which includes life insurance, any other medical insurance. Which she had with her job. and lost it when she left.

She would've been better off paying COBRA.

Private insurance won't cover because of the pre existing clause.

Itsy,
I can,t stand certain aspects of PA right now.

Funk,
The only good thing going for her right now is that the company that is supplying the oxygen isn't charging her for it after finding out she was no longer covered by med. assistance.

Merrygirl,
When my friend asked if they [medical assistance] were seriously going to drop her and take away her oxygen after they approved her and set it up they responded that she no longer qualified and didn't know what else to tell her.

[gave her another number to call for another agency who also denied her]

minoucat,
I believe you are right about the damned souls working for the system.
The respitory therapist was the only one that really helped out by refusing to take the oxygen away and getting her boss to not charge.

Thank you for the info you sent.

The final straw came today when I get this call from the last gov. agency....explains the whole process from A to Z.
[will have to go through the papertrail again even though they already have the info]
New desk, another program, same agency.

same bs. Friend says no more. Hubby and I agree.

we took a large loan out last week to cover her meds and are leaving tomorrow to go be with her and take care of her.

My friend worked hard her entire life to support her family. Even through college.
They never went without and her mother was taken care of until she passed away.

40 years. She was the glue that held her family together. Never asked for help before. Never had to, she was the strong one.

Paid her dues like everyone else and like everyone else, thought thats why you paid in. That it would be there when you needed it.

Sorry for being dramatic. I am shocked at how quickly my friend when downhill and totally stunned by how the system has worked.

and yes, we called so many places and people.

thank you for being here Lymenetters

ks mom

Posts: 94 | From Wichita KS | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mom, how totally disgusting!!

thanks for the detailed note you left advising us of everything you tried ... BE SURE TO DOCUMENT EVERYTHING, DATE/TIME, WHO YOU TALKED TO, AND EVERYTHING THEY SAID!!

i find it intimidates them if you TYPE THEIR ANSWERS! it sure has raised questions as they heard me typing since i can't read my writing any more!

TODAY, CALL SENATORS OFFICE IN YOUR STATE...DEM & REP; both sides!

ASK THEM TO GET INVOLVED; they will send your friend a RELEASE OF INFORMATION form so they can act on BEHALF OF YOUR FRIEND!

i'd also send your post link to those running for PRESIDENT!

To access 2008 Presidential Campaign Websites, visit the following links.

Republican Party Candidates

John Cox

Jim Gilmore

Rudy Giuliani

Mike Huckabee

Rep. Duncan Hunter

Sen. John McCain

Rep. Ron Paul

Mitt Romney

Rep. Tom Tancredo

Fred Thompson

Democratic Party Candidates

Sen. Joe Biden

Sen. Hillary Clinton

Sen. Chris Dodd

John Edwards

Sen. Mike Gravel

Rep. Dennis Kucinich

Sen. Barack Obama

Gov. Bill Richardson

please send me a PM with your HOME email address, i will forward an email with the above candidates names on where all you hve to do is CLICK their name and it takes you to their home page and email address!

this is another potential commercial on how THEY HELPED YOUR FRIEND BATTLE AND GET THINGS DONE FOR HER!!!!

hang in there, it's a tough battle! we're here to help and SUPPORT you all as needed! [group hug] [kiss]

ks mom
Member # 11626

Betty,
Sent one to you.

Are lawmakers out on break right now? Friday or Monday may be better.

We are leaving today to go out there and its a day and a half drive.

I can say she doesn't want to go through 'the process' anymore and doesn't want to have any more battles with anymore agencies.

She can't physically handle that kind of stress again.

Whatever Senator takes this on is going to have to demand answers from these agencies so this doesn't happen again.

ks mom

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bettyg:
CALL her state senators/house rep in washington dc...working both parties! make them aware of this! they can get something done!

YES, please!!!! How can she be making too much money?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
got your pm, and sent you the email with all the names shown where you can just click them to get to their sites!

horrible how this person who is dying is being treated by american health system! [rant]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement