LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » anyone feel better after not eating gluten and milk products?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone feel better after not eating gluten and milk products?
terrirdls1
Member # 9810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terrirdls1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told to not eat milk products and gluten. I did this for just three days and boy what a differenc. I get extreme dizzy spells and it has helped me alot.

I woke up today very dizzy but I took two bites of cheese pizza last night. cheese, a no no and the crust has wheat, or white four, a no no. the day before without any cheating I really felt great for the first time in many many months.. any one else?

I was told by a dr. that I was allergict to those things because of a bacteria in my system. well just a head up.

[ 04. November 2007, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: terrirdls1 ]

Posts: 45 | From Redlands, Calif | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was okay with dairy, but avoided gluten for 2 years. Now that I've treated the bacterial dysbiosis in my intestines and the Bartonella, I eat gluten with no problems at all.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terrirdls1
Member # 9810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terrirdls1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, good to know, I thought I would have to stay away from breads my whole life and that would be hell. That is my weakness. Im from swtizerland and when we go there of course the bread and chocolate is fantastic. thanks for your reply.. terri
Posts: 45 | From Redlands, Calif | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terrirdls1
Member # 9810

sorry for got to ask, what was your treatment for bartonella??? im not under any antibiotics. it tears my stomach up. thanks, terri
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add me to the list.

I have found some gluten free raisin pecan bread that I recently started to add to the diet.

I really missed bread so this helps. I keep it in the freezer and toast a piece.

I also have gone to goat's milk after trying soy milk, rice milk, and other milks.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not have celiac disease, so once the underlying GI issues were treated I was okay with gluten.

I am on Levaquin for Bartonella ... my stomach was getting more torn up from food than the drugs!

There are gluten -free breads ... Kinnikinnick is my favorite, but like all gf bread, it needs to be toasted. I don't know if it's available in Switzerland ...

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[hi] ME!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"anyone feel better after not eating gluten and milk products?"

Yes, yes , yes and yes.

I feel better not eating gluten or milk or soy or sugar cane .

Rice is nice. Almonds the best.

And Prunes! Don't even get me started on Prunes-they have become my latest, and greatest treat!

who da thunk I could live without junk. [Smile]

Cobby

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

ABSOLUTELY - for all of it.

Going gluten-free corrected a lifetime of irritable bowel. It helps decrease pain tremendously, relieves depression dramatically and helps a bit to clear brain fog (although I need much more help there).

Going gluten-free also has helped reduce seizures for me. If I "forgot" or got some by accident, a seizure would hit within a day and trigger a cycle downward. I know better now - and it's sort of freeing. For the protocol acceptance mode and self-talk it's not that I "can't" eat it; I just "don't" eat it. Like it's alien food and I just don't eat wheat - just like I don't eat hubcaps.

Milk, too, produces pheglm for anyone and pheglm (sp?) is the perfect place to grow bacteria. For me, it gums up ears and also makes it harder to focus and think.

Personally, if we had no more wheat on the planet, I think everyone would be healthier. There are plenty of great grains that don't do the damage gluten does.

Gluten is in wheat, rye, barley, hops and spelt. Natural flavors or maltodextrin often contain gluten as do many additives and many varieties of Spanish Rice in Mexican Restaurants (they add gluten to the rice for bulk).

Quinoa, Millet, Buckwheat (really a legume), Brown Rices and Wild rice (really a grass) can all be cooked in many ways.

I don't know about amaranth (sp?), another grain.

One of the other things that is vital is to avoid aspartame and MSG.

Changing my diet has been the best thing I've ever done. I was nearly in a wheel chair and could not talk or write.

I wonder how much better I might have gotten on had I done this as a child. I always struggled, even as a kid. Maybe it was the gluten and the dairy. Sure makes a difference.

I still have a long way to go but, seriously, this knowledge has saved my life.

-

[ 04. November 2007, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed
Search: ``gluten, brain'' - 125 abstracts

There are many other ways to research the effects, but I just know the brain gets hit - it's not just a stomach/bowel thing.

And, even a trace can make a difference. If you toast gluten-free bread, it needs to be done in a toaster that has never had wheat bread in it. It matters that much. But the rewards are worth it. Even if not a "true" celiac. I think many are and don't know it or the tests were not conducted accurately.

There are some wonderful pastas now that really holds up. No one would know the difference, except for cold pasta salads over a day old. See www.tinkyada.com or Trader Joe's has good brown rice pasta, too.

=====================================

1. A case of celiac disease mimicking amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

Nat Clin Pract Neurol. 2007 Oct;3(10):581-4.
====================================

3. [Looking for the auditory and vestibular pathology in celiac disease]

Otolaryngol Pol. 2007;61(2):178-83. Polish.

===============================

6. Occult celiac disease presenting as epilepsy and MRI changes that responded to gluten-free diet.

Neurology. 2007 Feb 13;68(7):533-4. No abstract available.
PMID: 17296923
===================================

9. Cognitive impairment and celiac disease.
Arch Neurol. 2006 Oct;63(10):1440-6.
PMID: 17030661 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
=====================================

13 [Cerebral calcifications: a clue for a diagnostic process in a nonspecific clinical case]

excerpt:

. . . We show a patient with a mild unknown coeliac disease, a woman who had occipital cerebral calcifications in a TAC cerebral, which was made because of her intractable migraines and that it lead to the diagnosis.

The migraine disappeared after a gluten free-diet, like similar cases reported by literature. The fact of existing neurological symptoms associated to coeliac diseases opens a therapeutic window of opportunity because they would respond to a gluten free-diet.

PMID: 16737434 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
====================================

14. [Coeliac disease an spastic paraplegia]

Rev Neurol (Paris). 2006 May;162(5):648-50. French.

-========================

and it goes on . . . and on . . .

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buckwheat (really a legume)-Thank you Keebler!

this makes me wonder- I feel like my recovery , whatever, has ratched up a notch-and I assumed it was the added Rifampin.

but the timing of feeling better also coincides with my daughter being diagnosed with Leaky Gut.

I told her I wouldn't eat anything she couldn't eat-so we're both Free-of a lot of things.And feeling better.

Cobby

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, giving up wheat resolved my lingering arthritis long after my antibody-levels were back in the normal range for a variety of tick borne infections. My annemia and other vitamin deficiencies resolved once my gut was healthy again.

Pizza is made with high gluten flour and is one of the worst things you can eat. So are wraps. The spongier the "bread" the more gluten.

Basically "modern" wheat is "junk" food, a hybrid that is cheap to make processed food with. Farm animals are fed minimal amounts of wheat, it isn't good for them. It isn't good for us either even when we think we are symptomless. I had no gut issues and went undiagnosed for years.

I can now eat a few bites from time to time without symptoms, but it just doesn't taste good any more.

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only recently found out that gluten is sometimes added to rice. I was eating at an Outback restaurant and started to order a meal containing rice.

Then I mentioned I was gluten intolerant and they gave me a menu for celiacs and the meal I wanted was listed, but without the rice.

The server told me the rice contained gluten! [Eek!] [Eek!]

Well, that explains why I got deathly ill from eating steak, rice, and beans at a Mexican Restaurant last year. It was a "gluten attack" ... but I couldn't figure out what got me. Now I know!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Yeah, that rice at a Mexican restaurant really did me in. I'm so glad I called and asked the next day.

-

Buckwheat (kasha if raw but kasha is also a mixed grain cereal brand, too. not the same).

you can boil up the raw or roasted buckwheat groats just like rice. You can add cinnamon and stevia for breakfast, or other culinary herbs for dinner.

There is also a creamy buckwheat hot breakfast cereal.

and - I just found RED QUINOA ("keen-wa") the brand i got is organic and does not require rinsing like the light kind does - so comes out perfectly every time since it goes into the pot dry, not waterlogged. I think it's heartier, too.

Quinoa has a good amino acid "presence" for lack of the best word.

-

[ 05. November 2007, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

terrirdls1
Member # 9810

Icon 14 posted      Profile for terrirdls1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, thank you everyone for the wealth of info you gave to us sensitive people!

Im new at this so anything will help. Im sure my son suffers from it also. he gets violently ill with stomach issues when he eats bread, its potatoe bread from arrow wheat. so I thought it would be okay.

It hard because he is 15 and he doesnt want to change is diet, even with is pain. crazy kid. Im really afraid for him. he suffers sevearly.. thanks everyone, terri [group hug]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Hey, would your 15 year old be interested in science?
Looking at this as a science project - get his friends to all give up gluten for, say the month of January, assess the results and write a paper on it, etc. That might be interesting.

I have a friend who is allergic to potato. You have to be really careful as foods may contain it but it's not necessarily listed in the ingredients if it's under a certain amount.

Some dry rices also will rinse the rice in a solution that may have fruit in it. Even if it's natural and organic, for those with allergies, that makes it hard.

======

Edited to add:

http://www.traderjoes.com/Attachments/gluten_free.pdf

Trader Joe's NO GLUTEN INGREDIENTS USED

A 7-PAGE list
================

http://www.traderjoes.com/locations.asp

Trader Joe's Locations

-

[ 08. November 2007, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

terrirdls1
Member # 9810

thanks for the input, but I think its a waste of time and energy to try to have him do anything these days.
He fights me on anything. He is just fed up with mom being ill and blames anything and everything on me not being well so he has lots of issues.
lots of anger and not willing to change.
I will bring it to his attention but I dont think he will go for it.
He is a athlete and very very social and popular with everyone and I think that is his main focus right now not health nor moms health. I know he wasnt me to be well, dont get me wrong, but he has anger issues towards everyone that has tried to help and not sucessful.
Its hard! thanks tough for the idea. we'll see, you never know. Ill let you know how it goes. terri

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Good luck, Terri.

I guess you have to honor your instinct.

But what if the anger is a result of the diet? You buy the food for the household. Can you just start buying some different brands that happen to be gluten-free? Just a rhetorical question.

Take care.

-

terrirdls1
Member # 9810

yes, that i have already done. our house hold has changed already since im not eating these things. Its not 100% but alot better. thanks.
terri

Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eight Legs Bad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is something I've wondered about in connection with wheat. Some Lymies have antibodies to a substance called Cardiolipin which is in our cells, especially heart, but also in spirochetes. Searching for these antibodies used to be important as a test for syphilis.

Well, they once tried to use a cheaper substitute for cardiolipin in the syphilis test, and the substance used was something called Sitolipin, which is in wheat germ.

I just wonder, if this substance looks like spirochete cardiolipin to our immune system, so making us produce even more antibodies to a substance that is also an essential part of us (autoimmunity) - could that have something to do with why a lot of people feel better without wheat-based foods?

I don't have any confirmation of this theory, it's just something I've wondered about personally.

Elena

ps Cardiolipin is also abundant in mammalian heart other than human too, so eating meat products containng it could be relevant.

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Posts: 786 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Eight legs:

Brilliant. . . . this is something that needs followup.

I love learning, but it'll have to wait for my foggy eyes.

Please share more about this if you can.

How'd you know this ? It sure does seem odd that nearly everyone I know with "FM/CFS" or lyme does so much better avoided gluten.

Thanks

-

terrirdls1
Member # 9810

Icon 14 posted      Profile for terrirdls1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an explanation about milk products and he said it goes as well for wheat or any type of flour. our intestines get toxic, allergy starts from the rancidity because we are allergict to these products. Im actually getting better with alot of diet eliminating these products.

here is what he said, he allowed me to share his point.

Amino acids are protein fractions

All proteins have them including bacteria

Faulty digestion yields undigested sequences of amino acid

These sequences are misunderstood by the immune system as unresolved bacteria and as such the body attacks them

In the process any body part that might have any similar sequence such as brain nervous system muscle etc is ripe for attack also

Dairy has over 400 different protiens which can cause multiple immune reactions which can result in attacks upon multiple body parts and symptoms

This is also true for other foods as well

When one does not digest as one should the protiens are not broke down to the individual aminos and thus may exist in these longer chains which can then result in multiple allergy or auto allergy oportunities

This is why diet and food allergy becomes so important

I hope this helps your understanding
food for thought. eightleg is exactly right. good obserbvation! till next time. Terri [group hug]

kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't read what others have posted right now due to lyme.

But, I thought of this topic while I was lying here with the poke in the eye with a stick feeling and the head stuff.

I have noticed that it is related to either what I eat or moving about too much.

Since I have not been able to move about lately, I have ruled that out.

I did have southbeach diet jello and whipped cream.

I thought I was safe as it was just a small amount of whipped cream on those very small containers of refrigerated jello.

But, i have had this poke in the eye and head stuff for several days now.

Wondering if it is due to the jello and whipped cream.

The other thing I have been eating is fresh pineapple.

I also had a little bit of cheese last night.

I know i usually don't have these things in my diet.

I do know pop corn, corn chips, potatoes, pizza, white rice, flour...both wheat and white flour, ice cream, and others that i can not recall right now...

will cause me to get that poke in the eye with a stick feeling and the head stuff.

i am wondering about cottage cheese

i ahve been mixing garlic in with my cottage cheese so i can get the garlic down.

that might be a problem too.

Sheesh. this thing is so tricky.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
webmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for webmeg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding dairy, I have always been fairly lactose intolerant. Can't touch milk but I do ok with real cheese (not processed) if it's later in the day, basically after I have other things in my digestive tract.

Some days are better than other with my lactose allergy which is annoying.

I use Lactaid 100% lactose free milk. Since I've had Lyme I've had terrible stomach issues, needing to use the bathroom more urgently every afternoon.

I decided to stop drinking the Lactaid milk. Problem solved.

Perplexing since obviously my reaction is not a lactose one. Perhaps the milk converts too much to sugar and that bothers me?

Or is it, in fact, the dairy and bacteria in my system clashing.

Just thought I would post if there are any other lactose intolerant people out there who might have experienced something like this....

Posts: 257 | From Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I thought spelt and hops were OK??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Mommy*of*3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mommy*of*3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't read the other replies...

I was gluten free and dairy free for 18 months while nursing my son who has food allergies. I went through some serious withdraw issues in the first week, lost 20 pounds in the first month, and was feeling better than I had in a long time. I really felt great after I adjusted to the diet. I'm now back on that diet.

I think the trickiest part is to meal plan, shop with a list, and be pro-active about having foods available. You certainly can't swing through the drive through or order take-out when you are eating gluten and dairy free.

GL.

Posts: 101 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement