LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Am I being unrealistic to think this? Having more children..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I being unrealistic to think this? Having more children..
LaurenTurner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurenTurner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 22 years old. I have 1 child who is about

to turn 3. I still want to have another child

someday. (Hopefully not too far away). I know I

need to wait until I am symptom free and have

been on antibiotic treatment for a good amount

of time. So is anyone else planning on getting

pregnant in the future? I'm having baby fever

seriously bad these days. At first when I was

diagnosed with LD, I thought I would just have

my son be an only child. But then I got to

thinking about the fact that this disease has

already caused me a lot of pain and suffering,

why should I let it take that experience away

from me?

[ 11. December 2007, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: LaurenTurner ]

Posts: 248 | From Tejas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People who have been through Lyme treatment have had very healthy babies. Just make sure you are symptom free and keep in touch with your LLMD throughout.

Personally, I've resigned myself to the fact that I might have to adopt. But I'm 33 and have had Lyme for over 20 years now. So I'm just not sure I'll get to that symptom free place before my biological clock starts going crazy on me.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hanginginthere
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hanginginthere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how you feel. I have one boy and would have loved another. He's thirteen now and I just turned 41...so the time is past for me--but definitely not for you!!

I have learned so much over the last couple years and now know that it is very feasible. You can have another child and he/she can be healthy! The key is being under the care of a very knowledgeable LLMD and taking an antibiotic during pregnancy.

Do a search for Sarah's posts on this (CaliforniaLyme) She has had the joy of a second daughter born completely healthy because of amoxicillin (I think [Wink] )

My biggest regret is that my son does not have any siblings...his children will have no cousins on my side...He would have been a great older brother!!

You're not being unrealistic. From everything I've read, it is possible! My best wishes to you!

Posts: 136 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. You are young. [Big Grin]

I had my first baby at 36 and my second at 37.

I know a late starter. [Big Grin]

Unfortunately, I probably had Lyme all along and both of my babies have it.

However, realistically, it is very possible to have a healthy baby.

And you do have age (or lack thereof) on your side. [Smile]

Even if you had to treat for 10 years you would still be younger than I was

When my first child was born.

Get well and have that baby.

Just talking about it almost gives me baby fever too........Almost. [Big Grin]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wanted a large family say 4 kids anyway.

I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old.

I think for me I am so sick and so lethargic that I an barely care for the kids I have.

I could't imagine having another! I know you are thinking when you are well so maybe that is different.

I know this is a crappy thing to say, but I don't see ever getting completely well.

I have always been the glass is half empty kinda person [shake]

I guess if I have no expectations then I can be disappointed right?????

I hope for you that you can have another!!!

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Lauren*)!)*!

Yup, I was on amoxicillin thorugh the pregnancy and amoxicillin through breastfeeding which is STILL going on because we live in Santa Cruz County CA where kids berastfeed FOREVER!!
She is almost 3*)!!

Pre Lyme diagnosis I ahd 5 miscarriages and my 1 completed pregnancy I was on bedrest almost 7 months of an 8 months pregnancy- with differing
comlpications- a dermoid cyst that required surgery- pneumonia- and then very bad pre-eclampsia-

After Lyme tx, my pregnancy with my second daughter was a BREEZE! I walked around the whole time, no complications until the end my BP got a little whacky- but not pre-eclampsia- up and DOWN- but 8 & 1/2 months of it were totally normal and she was and is totally healthy & normal.

It is so NICE to have a normal kid, I adore my older daughetr and adored her every step of the way but when she was 2 she was always, every day, saying, "It hurts, Mama, it hurts-" about every part of her poor little Lymed body- and it HURT to hear that-

THIS kid has said that twice from when she fell down and skinned her knees!! it is SO NICE
not to hear my baby in pain but to hear a babys laughter-!!! And to have an obnoxious adorable
little one around after I had thought I would never EVER have another.

When I was mourning the ability to EVER have another child my LLMD told me I was a spring chicken and that HIS wife had their first baby at 39 and their second at 41!!! I was 34 bemoaning the approaching 35. "You have PLENTY of time." he told me reassuringly. And as usual, he was RIGHT!!!

We've had MANY local pregnancies, all good, all on abx, all healthy babies. AND no relapses in the Moms, no great loss of recovery although a few Moms felt very fatigued from lack of sleep, as all new Moms do-

There are only 3 pregnancy safe Lyme drugs- amoxicillin, Rocephin and Ceftin! Everyone I know has done amoxicillin.

Babies are such a blessing-
go for it!*)!
Best wishes,
Sarah

p.s. ALTHOUGH if you think you can achieve full remission, I would go for that FIRST and THEN have a baby!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 24 and don't have any kids. I DO want a baby or two in the future. My husband and I didn't plan on having any until I was around 28 or 29 anyway, but some days I'm worried that I'll never be well enough to have a baby. Even if I was able to have a baby, I'd be afraid I wouldn't be well enough to take care of it.

My husband and I got a dog a few months ago and even that couldn't work out because my husband works all day and I was left at home with the puppy. I felt terrible. And it scared me and SCARES me that if I couldn't take care of a dog, I don't know how I'd be able to take care of a BABY. [Frown] That, and I do NOT want to have the child contract Lyme from me.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurenTurner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurenTurner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disturbedme, I'm sure it will be a totally different story when you have a baby in a few years. Hopefully you will be feeling much better!

I worry about my future baby contracting lyme too. Hopefully along with an llmd everything will be fine.

I'm just worried about finding an ob that will be fine with me taking antibiotics. Also I know amox. is rated a B on safefetus.com. I know that is pretty good, but I'm the type that wouldn't even take tylenol when I was pregnant.

When I was 5 months with my son, I sprained my ankle badly. It was the size of a baseball. The ER doctor kept trying to get me to take some "pregnancy safe" drugs, but I wouldn't.

Posts: 248 | From Tejas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fetz
Member # 11843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fetz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

My little girl was born in February. I was symptom-free before the pregnancy. I had a healthy, normal pregnancy, and a healthy daughter.

However, when she was 4 months old, I started to relapse. I'm still not feeling great...really bad pain in the joints that affect walking, but I am still managing to do okay.

I'm working (a teacher) and caring for my little girl. I feel really worn out, but am optimistic about starting physical therapy tomorrow, AND someday having another child, even if it mens another relapse.

As with anyone, pregnancy and being a new mom takes a lot out of you so I think it just gave the Lyme buggers a chance to get me when I (my immune) was down so-to-speak.

Posts: 49 | From Holly Springs, NC | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had untreated Lyme throughout all my pregnancies ... only one of my kids is being treated for Lyme.

The pregnancies were tough, but I would do it all over again. It would definitely be easier if I had known I had Lyme.

You'll have more kids. [Smile]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such a timely thread! I think about this all the time.

I've had LD for 11 yrs but it didn't come out until post-pregnancy with my son. We haven't had him tested but have consulted with Dr CRJ and he doesn't think my son has it. I am much older than you (38) and would love to have another child, and in fact both my LLMDs are optimistic about this. I am 11 months into treatment and no way will I be symptom-free any time soon, but maybe before my time runs out? [Smile]
Out here in CA there are a ton of older moms so I don't think this is such a stretch.

You'll definitely be able to have another baby! No question! You've got everything on your side. I know exactly what you mean by not allowing this stupid disease to take from you what you want! Go get it, girl!

SIX--that's so great that only one kid has it!! YEAH!

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CD57:

SIX--that's so great that only one kid has it!! YEAH!

I also suspect it in my teenage son .... but he wouldn't even comply with ten days of meds for another infection .... so no point in even testing. [Frown]

I have my daughter in college taking samento and cumanda right now to see what happens. So far, NOTHING! So that is good. I figured that it was good for her to give it a try to be sure and as a preventative measure because she's under so much stress with school, her sorority, and everything else.

So, yeah, I think it's just the one being treated ... and next month, she should be done with treatment ... only six months for her.

The other thing that's good about the kids is that they know they've been exposed, so the day they start having weird symptoms, they can start getting treatment ... they don't have to wait until they're really sick and they won't take years to figure out what it is.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lauren,

This is something you must talk to you LLMD WITH your husband about. He should have a say in it.

There are risks even without lyme. Lyme just complicates things.

My sister had three children before she found out lyme. All three POSITIVE for lyme. It's heartbreaking when a 2 yr old complain his head hurts.

You have to be on abxs during pregnancy and llmd says post partum depression usual & intense.

Yep, was in treatment when she got pregnant again. Did what LLMD said and had healthy girl who is now 12months.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the chances of a baby being born with LD?

Are there any studies on this?

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruthie1776
Member # 13889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruthie1776     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you know if your children have lyme? Are most children sick a lot when they are babies. I consider my kids pretty healthy as babies and now 9 and 7. I got sick a year ago and I am just wondering if I may have had it for a while. My son is really forgetful and complains of his tummy hurting all the time. My daughter had an eye issue that required surgery when she was 5. It is just a worry...along with all of the panic you get. I don't know if it is just the winter and they are complaining more just cause it's so cold and yukky out. What signs do you look for in children? Can they be subtle symptoms?
Posts: 22 | From Chicago | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone (Geneal? Sarah?) posted awhile a great write-up about what to look for in children.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister's children did have positive WB's drawing blood is dificult though. Used lots of distractions, lollipop. They managed to get samples.

Because they weren't infants they were not considered as infected through in uteral (sp?).

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurenTurner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12320

I had my 2 year old tested in September and he was negative. Strangely he didn't even mind

getting his blood drawn. He usually cries when he gets shots, but didn't cry at all when getting

his blood drawn. We took him to Chuck E. Cheese afterwards because we felt bad that he had to get that done. [Razz]

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At your young age I doubt you're being unrealistic.

My ex-LLMD, now retired, encouraged me to try again even though I was not symptom free. I had already had 2 miscarriages after having my daughter in 1995. Since then I had been told I had infertility due to ??unknown factor+PCOS.

Then this summer, I got pregnant again, unexpected and a total shock!...and I only told three people on Lymenet privately, so actually I'm kind of breaking the news publicly now, so to speak.

But, again I had a miscarriage...my third in a row. So, I'm done.

If I were you, I would try again while you're in your 20's. I'm 39, and I believe this hasn't helped my situation now.

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's great that you guys are having children etc. And I don't mean this to sound whiny...but just to throw a little perspective on your comments, and to enable you perhaps to better appreciate what you have.

I am a 36 year old male who lives with his parents. I was sick with LE for many years prior to diagnosis in 2002. In 2002 my spect read 'moderate global hypoperfusion'. Now it is 2007 and it reads 'moderate to severe global hypoperfusion'. I also have a significant hormonal issue due to pituitary dysregulation.

I haven't had a date since 2001. I'm not ugly or stupid, just discombobulated by the illness experience.

For most of this period I have struggled in even minor organziational tasks such as keeping my room clean etc.

Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TS96:
What are the chances of a baby being born with LD?

Are there any studies on this?

that is something that they don't study. I do think it has been studied in mice on one occasion. why don't they study it? I don't know. probably because it is a problem.
Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 32 and have been sick for years with babs, bart and lyme and my husband and I wanted children for a while, but I was always scared about passing it on.

Dr. B, before he retired, was urging me to start soon, even though I wasn't 100%. He assured me that with the proper meds, my baby would be fine. He even said that all the women under his care who were pregnant, none of them had sick kids.

My current llmd is much more careful. He wants me to finish the C protocol and detoxing before starting.

Personally, I am going to try to have one child. I refuse to let this disease get the best of me. Hopefully in a few monts I will have news to report.

Feel better everyone.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you do have a child, I would be on abx the entire time. That might sound harsh, but take it from someone who has been there and done that....

I NEVER knew I was sick. I never had any symptoms except fatigue that I chalked up to already being a mommy to one, and I had hyperhydrosis of the underarms that I had since I was 16.... so I didnt think THAT was much anything either.

I have children who were born with SEVERE disabilites. One with mental retardation and autism, and the other with a very severe birth defect.

Thats just me, I would stay on the antibiotics. I unknowingly gave lyme to two of my three kids, and my sons brain didn't form right. He will forever be mentally retarded. I can nix the autism with abx, but I cannot repair his brain. And I CANNOT repair my daughter's kidneys. They are SHOT and she has more plastic inside of her than barbie.

So even if you FEEL great... GREAT. But from one mom to another... do the amoxy.

--------------------
You want your life back? Take it.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement