LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » College courseload for Lyme Patient?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: College courseload for Lyme Patient?
brian889107
Member # 14061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brian889107     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I have pretty bad Lyme and i'm currently going to take courses at my local community college, as Lyme basically destroyed my High School career.

Lyme is a bit tricky, as I cant seem to track when my symptoms occur. As they dont occur regularly, I dont know when i'll be struck down with really bad fatigue

My question is how many credits I should be taking? A full courseload is 12 credits. My mom recommends I take 12, but im not sure. If anyone has run into a similar problem from experience, your answers would be most appreciated

Posts: 1 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyflyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long has it been since you've been in a school setting?

It may be best to start off slow until you get reacclimated. Best not to push it.

I'm in the same boat, want to go back to school in January, but I also have to work full time so I'm just gonna start off with one class.

Maybe try 9 credits to start, that's 3 classes, more than enough.

--------------------
Jennifer

Posts: 266 | From Ocean County, NJ | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cidanu
Member # 12503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cidanu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello!

i was out of school for 3 years and decided to back this semester.

i was afraid that my brain wouldn't work anymore but so far i've been doing great!

i too work full time and took one class. It was manageable (but still took a lot of time).

i think you have to be at least 6 credits to qualify for financial aid, but i'm not sure.

anyways, congratulations on everyone going back to school! it was really uplifting for me.

i think starting small is a good idea too if you're really unsure or anxious. it will help to build your confidence!

Posts: 35 | From Washington, dc | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roro
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it cheaper to take 12 credits? I know at some schools you have to take 12 credits to be full-time and if you are part time you have to pay per credit.

if you have to take 12, just take two classes that are super easy.

Posts: 615 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
brian/others,

there is ONE bigger picture here!! HEALTH INSURANCE!

are you being covered by your parents?

if yes, you need FULL COURSE of 12 credits!! if it is under that, your folk's insurance company will drop you promptly!!

only reason i know this is because my NON-LYME unmarried niece, 19, just became pregnant and was take 3 courses vs. 4 !! on top of this, at this time she is EXPECTING TWINS OR MORE!!! she'll know last week in dec. when she has her appt. and gets delivery date results! she just found out, title 19 WAS APPROVED, so she has insurance for her and babies upon birth!

so check carefully on health insurance issues!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can get online classes they may be easier because you can do stuff on your ( or your symptoms ) scheldule instead of having to be somewhere at a particular time.

I would make a list of all the symptoms and see what classes would be easiest to do with those symptoms.

Like if you have alot of word confusion I probaly wouldnt want to take a writing class or if your speech gets slurred a speaking/presentation class probaly wouldn't be a good idea.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica922
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica922     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
I am a college Professor and I will tell you that if you can take a lighter load...take it. Someone mentioned the health insurance aspect so you need to check on that if you are covered by your parents. I would not push too hard right from the start unless you have to.

I would also look into online options since they are a great way to go now. I am teaching online for the University of Maryland. I am trying my best with this horrific disease [Smile]

Posts: 422 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found that the units did not matter. It is what each class requires.

I had times when I took a lot of units and it was much easier than times when I just took a few.

Not a very good rule of thumb but it is something I noticed and was surprised by.

I think the rule of thumb is 3 hours of homework for each unit of class.

Good luck to you. I really liked learning and miss it.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian,

I see this is your FIRST post,,,WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Depending on your major or what classes you are anticipating,,,dont take but ONE hard class,,,and the rest easy for now!!

Pick one that requires work you are familiar and good in and select the rest from easier to do.

Yes online would be GREAT for you!! Then take two harder courses NEXT semester. You can plan out your whole schedule for years in advance IF you know where you are going.

IF you are taking basic classes for now and major to be determined later, select those that goes with where YOU think your headed!!

IF your NOT sure where you interest lies,MOST colleges have apptitude tests(aka another fancy name) to SEE what you are suited to,,,use them,, they MAY be astoundingly accurate!!

Advice previously given in this thread is right on the money!! Read it all again,and listen intently!!Specially on the insurance part!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fetz
Member # 11843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fetz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there!

I was actually first diagnosed as I graduated high school and entered college. I spent more than half of college with a picc line. I did manage to carry a full course load every semester, but I had understanding professors that gave me a little leeway with some deadlines. Good Luck! Persevere!

Posts: 49 | From Holly Springs, NC | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend finding out if there is a disability coordinator at the school and meeting with that person. Find out what they need from you to provide accommodations and what types of accommodations they will provide.

For example, can you reschedule exams if you are sick the day of the exam? Many schools will do this, but some won't.

You should also look into purchasing tuition insurance. That way you get money back if you have to drop a class.

Everybody is different so I can't tell you how many classes you can take. I work full time and go to law school at night. I take 2/3 of a full law school load, which was between 8-11 credits a semester. It's been hard, but I've always done more than I can handle. I also feel better when I'm busy.

But if you have previously had problems with school and your illness, I would start slow if possible.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GREAT point BettyG*)!*)!!!!!!!!!!

If you are bad Lyme I would start off slow
just so as not to overwhelm yourself!!!
OR start with more but give yourself permission to drop classes WITHOUT considering yourself a
failure in any way-

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME!*)*)!!
To LymeNet btw-
Sincerely,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son is 21 and is too sick to go to college. We apply for a waiver from our insurance company each year. So far, he has been covered and I don't think it will be a problem in the future.

He would love to go to college. So far he has only been able to take 2 classes.

Good luck!

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
brian,

please forgive me for hijacking your thread, but i'll get it back on track at the end ok.

above i used the example of my unmarried 19 yr. old niece being pg with twins. SADLY TO say, she called me last night very distraught.

she suffered a miscarriage the night before after starting to bleed. she had identical twins; 5 wks. in size; vs. 12 wks. pg she was so she would hve miscarried anyway. she was really looking forward to being a good MOMMY!

her mom/my late sister died when she was only 11 of breast cancer in liver. she's had a hard life from age 2 to now.

thanks for letting me share; this is the only place i mentioned this!

so be sure to check out health insurance coverage when you cut down college courses; niece was doing 2 on-line courses as well.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement