LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Any success with physical therapy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any success with physical therapy?
fetz
Member # 11843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fetz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone!

Just wondering if anyone is currently using physical therapy as a treatment, or has in the past? Has it or is it helping the pain in the large joints?

I have a new GP that is sending me for PT starting tomorrow.

Posts: 49 | From Holly Springs, NC | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beckyM
Member # 13944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beckyM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been in physical therapy for about two months (before starting treatment for Lyme). Originally I was sent because of the nerve pain and the weakness I was having (I was falling a lot)

I can't tell you that it helped the pain...I wish it had. However, for me, it has helped the instability I had in my legs.

I have been very diligent in doing my excercises everyday, which I know was HUGE in strengthening my muscles.

The other thing my Physical therapist did was called myofascial release. She had been specially trained in this. It was pretty interesting. After she did this, I always felt more relaxed.

Physical therapy is worth a shot, but can be painful too. I was fortunate to have a wonderful physical therapist!

Becky

Posts: 68 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal experience with PT was back before I had a diagnosis and I was doing it to help with pain. But it would just aggravate my pain more after getting out of there.

BUT with that said, they had no clue what was wrong with me and from what I understand, there is a certain protocol they use for lyme patients that differs from some P.T.

I would say it's going to be dependant on your physical therapist. There are good and bad ones... just like good and bad doctors. If you find one that works for you, stick with it. If not, I'd say, move on to another. Just my two cents.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read what Dr. B says about rehabilitation in his guidelines here and bring the relevant section with you to the therapist

http://www.ilads.org/burrascano_0905.html

I've found most physical therapists to be incompetent when it comes to Lyme. Most seem to only be able to help a person who has had an injury regain motion and strength.

The only good therapist I've worked with was based in a small pain clinic and then moved out on his own. The PT centers are like factories in my opinion.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
listenswithcare
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for listenswithcare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Physical therapy was one of my turning points. The thing is that you need to find a good physical therapist that really knows their stuff.

Mine found bones out of place (ribs, pelvis) that even my chiropractor did not find or even look for. Since I have neuro-lyme, any bones out of place make my nerves react which make my muscles react and I end up all balled up.

To this day, I still have to be very vigilent about my bones and whether they are in place or not.

I was very deconditioned, and the therapist helped me to slowly build back up my strength and stamina. I believe that building up the muscles again does help the pain because it helps to take stress off of the joints.

If you can get a good recommendation for a physical therapist from someone that would be the best route to finding someone good. My massage therapist gave me the name of the guy I used. He is a sports physical therapist. Very good.

After 7 months of therapy I was able to start going to the gym and I was able to start horseback riding again. I continued in therapy as I started these activities to keep my body in line.

Now, I see a chiropractor about once every 3 weeks. It is essential for me to stay active.

Before physical therapy, anything exercise other than gentle stretching or walking left me in a ball of painful, tight muscles. I still get tight sometimes, if I push too much, but my body is learning to release if I get a massage or see the chiropractor.

So, good luck with your adventure - I think it is great! It is not easy - I did alot of hard work to get back to where I am - but so worth it!

Robin

Posts: 276 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having pleasantly surprising results with a PT that does Cranio-Sacral amd Myofascial release. And an Osteopath doing Osteopathic Manipulation (OMT).I've not gained anything from PT in the past other than getting some excersize.

This is actually reducing pain. It might take a while but I'm willing to do it and some Osteopathis manipulations. So far so good... time will tell but I am more hopeful then I have ben in quite some time.

I believe most of my problems are connective tissue related. I hope this helps a bit.

trueblue

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fetz
Member # 11843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fetz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for your replies. I'm excited about starting. I don't really have anyone to recommend a PT (new to the area), but after hearing your responses, I won't be afraid to try another place if need be. How long do you think that I should stick it out with one? Also, I love the idea about taking the section in the treatment guidelines....I'll definitely do that! Thanks again!
Posts: 49 | From Holly Springs, NC | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are unsure of your therapist, then walk away.

If you tell your therapist something hurts and they tell you to do it anyway, then walk away. (Unless it comes with the question of what kind of pain it is and an explanation that it is a type of pain that is ok in moderation).

If your therapist does nothing but show you exercises and then walks away while you do the exercises, I would find a new therapist.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement