LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Looking for others with chronic Q fever

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for others with chronic Q fever
Gypsy Girl
Member # 11072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gypsy Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested positive for Q fever 18 months ago along with Lyme, RMSF, and other co-infections.

I am curious who else has tested positive for Q fever.

What are your symptoms and treatment. I understand the protcol is 3 years, but what is the reality?

AND where is the best lab for re-testing? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently being treated for Lyme, Babs, Bart and Ehrlichea.

Posts: 19 | From woods | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I a am curious as to why they tested you for q. this is one of the infections I have contemplated getting tested for, but typically chronic q causes a very limited spectrum of disease, ie, heart valves. of course, we might have bioengineered strains they are pretending don't exist like we see with certain strains of neurolyme in the US.

anyway, did you GP perform the test? or did you have to get specialized testing? Did the doc just throw q out there as a possibility?

Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc tested me for Q fever. I was negative. They did it through Quest.....

It is also an airborne thing not only a tick borne illness.

Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gypsy Girl
Member # 11072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gypsy Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got tested for Q fever because I also tested positive for Typhus, Lyme, RMSF and and was out of the country at the time. This was listed as chronic Q-fever though, so not sure how long I actually had it. I may have had it from previous tick bites. The doc said it was a bio strains? hmmm

The doc ignored the Q-fever test and refused Lyme treatment as well at that time. Not a LLMD.

Not really sure of the protocol for treatment because I can't take doxy right now. So I am unsure that I am really hitting the Q fever with my current meds. If I am, thats GREAT!

I have an awesome LLMD and we are working on all aspects. I have so much neuro stuff that's not budging with all my anx and herbs, etc.

Just want to hear how others are doing, if they have Q-fever. I was under the impression that it was an add'l 3 years min outside of the Lyme treatment. Is this incorrect?

I want to be retested. I used Quest first time, any other labs to use besides Quest, or is that Lab ok?

Greatly appreciate your comments!! THANK YOU!

(I am very shy about using Lymenet and still in a awful neuro situation...)

Thanks!

Posts: 19 | From woods | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to my llmd, many people on Staten Island have been showing posisitive for Q-fever. According to him the CDC has been calling his office often.

We can all thank the government for this one again. [cussing]

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Girl:
I got tested for Q fever because I also tested positive for Typhus, Lyme, RMSF and and was out of the country at the time. This was listed as chronic Q-fever though, so not sure how long I actually had it. I may have had it from previous tick bites. The doc said it was a bio strains? hmmm

The doc ignored the Q-fever test and refused Lyme treatment as well at that time. Not a LLMD.

Not really sure of the protocol for treatment because I can't take doxy right now. So I am unsure that I am really hitting the Q fever with my current meds. If I am, thats GREAT!

I have an awesome LLMD and we are working on all aspects. I have so much neuro stuff that's not budging with all my anx and herbs, etc.

Just want to hear how others are doing, if they have Q-fever. I was under the impression that it was an add'l 3 years min outside of the Lyme treatment. Is this incorrect?

I want to be retested. I used Quest first time, any other labs to use besides Quest, or is that Lab ok?

Greatly appreciate your comments!! THANK YOU!

(I am very shy about using Lymenet and still in a awful neuro situation...)

Thanks!

If I recall correctly, the testing for chronic q is somewhat different from testing for acute q.

Q fever is a rickettsia. Flouroquinolones and some macrolides are also effective.

Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gypsy Girl
Member # 11072

Thank you Aligondo Bruce for the anx info.

So it seems that Levaquin and Zith would be good for this. Yeah! I'm so happy - that eases my mind alot!

Savebabe - Staten Isl.? hmm so I wasn't too far away, CT and NJ. go figure! Thanks for the insight.

Gypsy Girl
Member # 11072

One more thing... Did you say chronic and acute is tested differently?

I had both tested at the same time, 2 seperate results. Acute was neg. and chronic/ Phase II was positive. It was actually done by LabCorp. (not Quest)

I had other rickettsia tests, RMSF done by Quest, 2 times, it was done 2 weeks apart and positive both times. That was also tested the same time as the Q-fever test.

Could this be true then that I had/have both?

And is there a different lab to use? ANyone know about this? Or does it even matter??

map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read on tick illness website that Q fever is a cousin of rickettsia. I was tested today for both. Won't know until Dec 31st for follow up appt.

5 large tubes of blood and urine speciman today. Went to my Internist and had a whole list of stuff I wanted tested for since I've had more tick and spider bites in the last 2 yrs than anyone that avoids tick places should have.

Is only Lab Corp doing lab work, but with lyme positve from Igenex in 02, maybe I will find the rest of my lyme & company story. I had to sign a piece of paper stating that Medicare doesn't pay for bartonella & HHV-6 because they are considered experimental testing. I'll fight Medicare if they don't pay after my primary insurer.

Experimental my A*#! I have a known vector borne illness and there's nothing experimental about this.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gypsy Girl
Member # 11072

Pam -

Hope you can get some answers with the tests you did today!

FYI:
Igenex has a new Rickettesia test:

RICKETTSIA
975 TICK TEST by PCR for Rickettsia 87798

It always seems so long to get the answers....
Wishing you Luck!

Gypsy Girl
Member # 11072

oops! that sounded wrong. not from the lab, I meant just lyme answers in general... nothing instant is what I meant. oh well.
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really want to get tested for Q Fever. Studies have followed people with acute fever into the chronic stage, and a number of them go on to develop CFIDS (which I have had for fifteen years) and endocarditis (many of my worst symptoms are cardiac). So I know chronic Q fever *can* look just like myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.

It's my understanding that the chronic form almost always involves the heart -- is this correct? Also, does anyone know about prevalence in other parts of the US?

In my Google research, I did see quite a bit about bioweapons testing involving Q Fever.

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement