LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Is LD interferring with your families lives?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is LD interferring with your families lives?
kbholley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kbholley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you ever feel that your lyme disease is interferring with your families lives????

I have a doctors appt. 2/09/08 in SC and I live in Crawfordville Florida.

And on that same day there is a Valentines day dance at the high school that my 15 yr old daughter is going to miss, and they are having a parade downtown that morning for the community.

And from the little comments that my daughter is making - she thinks its totally unfair that she don't get to go to the dance. She's in 9th grade. And I won't leave her home overnight alone.

Not a safe neighborhood.

I just feel like this disease has totally taken over our family. Because every thing is scheduled around my doctors appointments.

Just venting.

[ 06. February 2008, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: kbholley ]

--------------------
OK...I'll play your silly games.

Finding my happy place.

Brenda-Lee

Posts: 126 | From Florida | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, that would be a yes! But if you are going to who I think you are going to in SC, it will be worth it!!

Life is not fair. Not a bad thing for a young teenager to learn. Or is there someone safe she could stay with that night?

My son has missed his entire 4 years of high school because of this disease. No dances, no football games, no dates, nada. No it is not fair or convenient. But it does teach priorities. And family is a first priority in our home. That means you!! So no more feeling guilty. Take care of yourself. There will be more dances in the next 3 1/2 years of high school.

Have a safe trip.

Best,
Karen

Posts: 1686 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kbholley-

yes this illness can totaly take over the entire family.
I feel for you and your daughter......

is there anyway she can stay with a friend that night....? just asking....

it was very difficult when my kids were younger.....

i totaly took anyone and everyone's help when it came to my kids.........and not disrupting their lives.....

reaching out to other mother's may help.......

but i know your frustration......

remember its not you its this disease that is causing all this ...

also it helped to really talk to my kids.....
tell her exactly how you feel.....i think she's old enough.....

its hard though having to disappoint our kids....

[Smile] mtree

--------------------
worrying about tomorrow takes its strength away from today

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kbholley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kbholley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all of your support and advice.

My kids have been watching me go through this since 2001, and have been very understanding and really mature for their ages.

I just think its totally unfair that their activities (sp) have to be scheduled around my appointments or whether or not I'm having a good head day or a bad one.

She was just really disappointed about not going. And as for my mom watching her - she is making the trip with us.

But thank you for letting me vent, and cry.

Hugs
Brenda

--------------------

Finding my happy place.

Brenda-Lee

Posts: 126 | From Florida | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brenda,

I feel so sorry for you and ALL PARENTS WITH KIDS 18 AND UNDER at home, of parenting them when you all are so sick!

I know there is NO WAY I could do this! Thank you God for an understanding hubby who lets me be on here for hours helping others; then napping until I get up, a LATER SUPPER than he would like, watchign tv together, my napping again before I come on here, and then working on here another 2-4 hours helping others!

My [bonk] goes off to all of you for being the BEST POSSIBLE MOM WITH YOUR LYME/CO-INFECTIONS! [bow] [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may not be much, but offer something else like a sleep over with a

Friend or something on a different date.

Since both my husband, myself and two young children have Lyme,

Unfortunately it is a daily part of our lives.

However, other things can cause just as much disruption.

My 6 yr old had a "school" function on a Wed evening.

My husband was coming home in time for me to take her.

I had pizzas in the oven, had everything ready when my 4 yr old ran his

Bike and head into a metal pole.

Quick ride to the emergency room with both children who were both crying.

One who needed 21 stitches [Eek!] and one who was having to miss

Her all important school function.

I sat in the ER with both children crying thinking this was

Definitely a Calgon take me away moment or that one of the nurses

Would have pity on me and give me some valium.

I offered (in lieu of the school event) to get her ears pierced

A couple of weeks before her birthday. It worked.

She wasn't happy, but she had something else to focus on.

None of this was due to Lyme.

Remember that in order to take care of your daughter,

You have to take care of yourself.

Hang in there. Tell your daughter that by taking care of you

You are really taking care of her. When she gets older she will get it.

I know it doesn't help the here/now disappointment but

Maybe it will put a different spin on things.

I look forward to a day when my children's vocabulary doesn't include Lyme.

Mine too.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kbholley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12938

[Smile] Thank you for all of the advice.

I've got pretty good kids and they know that I need to get better in order to take care of them.

Its just sometimes they get tired of hearing the words "No, mama's having a bad head day."

Or can't focus to drive.

but all in all they understand, they don't like it sometimes, but they understand,

And I love them very much.

Thank you for all of your support.

[group hug] [hi] [group hug]

--------------------

Finding my happy place.

Brenda-Lee

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement