LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » story of a figure skater with lyme..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: story of a figure skater with lyme..
pinkpixiedust211
Member # 14828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkpixiedust211   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, my name is Laura, I just turned 17 and I've had lyme for about 2 and a half years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em9OeiLkHUQ - this is a video I made a while back.

My Story:
I was 14 when I started high school in September of 2005. I had just gotten my braces on, was a goalie on the soccer team and I was getting top grades, straight As.

However, on December 16, 2005, I was in the middle of watching a movie with my friend when I got a very painful headache.

I tried to ignore it but the pain was so bad, so my friend went home and I went to sleep, hoping it would be gone in the morning. It wasn't.

I started figure skating in April 2006 as a way to escape from my pain.

I have gotten pretty good, but it's hard when you have no energy to jump and spin.

It is so therapeutic though, and I love it.

For a year and a half my grades went from As to Cs, I had to quit soccer and we had no idea what was wrong with me.

By chance one day in May, my mom bumped into one of her friends and was telling her about my symptoms.

The friend that was with her interrupted and told her that all of my symptoms sounded like Lyme disease.

So we made an appointment with a doctor whose office was coincidently only 10 minutes away from our house.

She ran a whole bunch of tests in order to rule anything out, and sure enough, I was definitely positive for lyme.

This was in June 2007. I started oral antibiotics and took those for 2 months, but I still wasn't getting better so I had an IV put into my arm on September 11, 2007.

I am now 17 and I am still on IV antibiotics, and still have my headache.

It has not gone away, ever. Not for a second.

I have joint pain, insomnia, neck pain, and some cognitive problems due to brain inflammation, which makes it hard for me to process and recall information, like for school.

I am currently on home instruction because I sleep 20 hours a day.

I used to be hyper all the time and never sleep but I've turned the corner and am now the complete opposite.

I had to stop gymnastics and I skate for only 15 minutes instead of an hour a day.

it's really frustrating.

any teens who want to talk, I would love to talk to you. [Smile]

I like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, One Tree Hill, Heroes, Kelly Clarkson.. figure skating, gymnastics.. yeah.

nice to meet you all! this place seems really cool.

I hope I edited this right.

[ 02. March 2008, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: pinkpixiedust211 ]

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em9OeiLkHUQ
www.twitter.com/kailua720

Lymie since 2005
Live well, love much, laugh often

Posts: 17 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome pixie,

i sent you my newbie package of info galore.

YOU'LL HAVE TO GET HOOKED UP WITH "ICESKATER" a former professional iceskater who had to give up skating due to lyme.

she's on hiatus here as she's feeling better and doing what she can before lyme takes her health downward again.

i'll copy this link and send it to her by regular email; she's a close friend of mine!

glad you found us; you will learn alot and have MORAL SUPPORT when needed! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI and welcome to lymenet. I was not able to read what you wrote but was able to watch your video.

So glad you were able to find something you can be a little successful at and take your mind off of lyme for awhile. Good luck with the iceskating.

Good luck with becoming a teacher too. That is still possible.

And because of your own learning obstacles, it will help you be a better teacher. You will understand.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That OTHER post on this page,,,from Vic,,,she is 17 just the other day,,,

same condition,,,was recently in the quack motel and a coma for quite a while,,,her blog addy is right there in THAT post,,,

you two would make a fine pair,,,friends by sickness,,,not what we would WISH for,,but a circumstance none the less!!

Your story sounds SOOOO familiar,,,all too much so!!

There are others around too so dont run away!!!One used to be here from Alabama,,,forgot the name.

Do you have GOOD family and friend support in this??? OR are they all in denial??(common)

I think we need a teen page or chat spot just for youngens!!Hang in there,,,I THINK you will get tons of responses HERE!! IB still--just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkpixiedust211
Member # 14828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkpixiedust211   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by just don:
That OTHER post on this page,,,from Vic,,,she is 17 just the other day,,,

same condition,,,was recently in the quack motel and a coma for quite a while,,,her blog addy is right there in THAT post,,,

you two would make a fine pair,,,friends by sickness,,,not what we would WISH for,,but a circumstance none the less!!

Your story sounds SOOOO familiar,,,all too much so!!

There are others around too so dont run away!!!One used to be here from Alabama,,,forgot the name.

Do you have GOOD family and friend support in this??? OR are they all in denial??(common)

I think we need a teen page or chat spot just for youngens!!Hang in there,,,I THINK you will get tons of responses HERE!! IB still--just don--

I've never been to the hospital for any of my syptoms but when I hurx I can't walk. My family is really supportive.

we actually just saw a neurologist who basically said I don't have lyme.

my mom was ranting about him all the way home about how angry he made her.

my dad sometimes doesn't understand fully but he is supportive as well.

i have a couple of very close friends who are very good to me so that is great.

[ 02. March 2008, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: pinkpixiedust211 ]

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em9OeiLkHUQ
www.twitter.com/kailua720

Lymie since 2005
Live well, love much, laugh often

Posts: 17 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement