LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » How do you help family understand your illness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you help family understand your illness
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone got ideas on how to help your family understand your illness?
It seems like everyday there is something new wrong with me and my family fails to understand this is the way lyme disease is.
I really need help here.

sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take them back with you while you are in your doctors appointment.

For some reason that usually does it.

And/or...

Contact the docs office in advance and tell them you are bringing in some relatives who are having difficulty getting a grasp on the situation.

Usually they can lend a helping hand.

Hope that works.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup

They have gone with me to ever appt.

sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dorothy, thye are in DENIAL and don't want to accept this since they HAVE gone to your llmd appts.

i ws going to suggest my medical post at top, LYME VIDEOS, but they are living with you...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes they just don't 'get it.'

How is your sleeping now? Any better??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had been in remission for a long tme....and now battling again........

family and friends chose not to understand....back then........

...and now this time...same thing

.....it has really kicked my butt this time agian.....I just don't have it in me to explain to people.....
[dizzy]
my husband was so tired of people asking him how I was....and him having to say...she's doing ok......when I wasn't.....

that...he finaly wrote a letter .....about what we as a family are going through......explained to them......what Lyme is......gave them some articules and some threads from here to read....

explained what my days are like.....we are seeing the right doctors ....
told them that all we needed from them was support and UNDERSTANDING..............
he sent that to his family and mine and a few close friends..(about 15 people)....he had no expectations of what anyones responce would be......
he just wanted to get it all out.....after all this was his family....who else do you go to.. when life is just so difficult and you need help....complete strangers on a computer ? [Wink] [Big Grin] [Razz]

some responces were funny .....sending my husband information about my Lyme's disease....Lyme's... [bonk] .. they meant well.....
most responded supportive........and a few never responded...... [Roll Eyes]

but all in all....glad he sent it.....he was so tired of saying everything was good...or ok....or she's hanging in there........
I was deeply touched that he did this....

we need our spouses to help advocate what we are going through...if they say we are ok...then people think we are......they have to stand up for us....
especialy when we can't.....

but also...if you don't have a spouse...the energy to try to get family and friends to understand it is sometimes a looseing battle.....if they aren't getting it....they are choosing not to.........

[Smile] mtree

--------------------
worrying about tomorrow takes its strength away from today

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
unfortunately, nobody in my family doesn't "get" it and the never will, and that includes my husband....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately you can't make someone understand Lyme.

They have to want to.

I will admit that it is a complex subject with so many variables

That most times it seems impossible to have so many issues related to one disease.

We know better.

Try to save your energy for healing.

I've been in treatment for over 19 months and some family members (sister RN)

Still call it Lymes even though I have told her there is no "s" several times. [shake]

It is the old addage of you can lead a horse to water, but can't make them drink.

God willing none of our family members will ever have to experience what we do.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
listenswithcare
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for listenswithcare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea - I saw the post on Robynn's Lyme List today for the Under Our Skin film. I have seen parts of this, but I watched the trailer again.

It made me want to send the article to my family (sister and Mom), but then I realized that they really are not that interested. My Mom used to send me some stuff she saw about Lyme, but I almost always already knew about what she was sending. Then I would send stuff to her because I thought she was interested and when her email response was something like "I will look at this, Robin", I knew that I was giving her information that she did not want to have.

My sister is a nurse. Do you think she has helped me at all? Through all the years that I was at home alone and in pain and struggling just to stay working? No! All she did at one point was to tell me the infectious doctor to see - oh, and that doc. didn't even want to touch me! Sent me off to her "Lyme expert" rheumy and he said it was all in my head!

It is very difficult for people to understand Lyme when they don't have it. Many of us "look" just fine. I used to get that in the office - "but, you look good??" - yea and they don't know that I spent 1/2 hour on the floor crying that morning as I did my stretching so I could get rid of some of the pain before I took my pain killers and went off to work. Or that I had to lie down several times that morning while getting ready for work just to have energy to do the next thing (wash face, brush teeth). Or that I had to take a handful of pills first thing in the morning to help me get going (thyroid and adrenal support).

Or that I take over 40 pills each day!

Okay - sorry - I got a bit off track, but I guess I needed to say all of that.

We can't make people understand. And it is hard, because I want my family to understand. See if you can find other close friends (or just ONE friend) that can hear you and understand. It will help alot.

Robin

Posts: 276 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom's been in denial for a full year now--are

there any LL grief counselors out there?

disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I got luckier than some people here as my husband's family and even MY family are very caring about it all. I'm not sure how much they understand the actual disease, but at least they seem to care and want to help and want to understand. Except my mother-in-law calls it Lymes. [bonk]

My husband is also very caring and understanding, but there comes times when he tells me, "Oh, you can go back to work. I think it would be good for you, etc., etc." When I know deep down that's not going to be good for me right now (even my LLMD and my lyme-friendly doctor think it would be best if I stayed home and/or worked from home). Sadly, we're in a position right now with finances that I might have to go back into work. Not something I want to do at all. Something I'm terrified of doing because I'm afraid of what it might cause: a set back, I won't be resting and healing like I need to be, I won't be getting as much rest as I seem to always need as I take many naps usually, etc.

I have had problems with my friends. They just don't want to hear about what I'm going through. One of my friends, whenever he'd ask how I was doing, I'd tell him and after a while of my answers always being, "Not too good", "I feel like crap today", etc., I guess he got tired of it because I started getting from him in reply, "Yeah, yeah, yeah" or "Why do you care only about yourself?" That last one threw me for a loop. I had no idea where that came from. I guess since I always told him how I was tired of feeling so miserable he got the idea I didn't care about others?

After a while, he just never asked me how I was doing anymore. And I didn't talk to him about how I was doing or feeling. But it made me really feel less of a friend towards him. It was just sad that it came to that all because he was sick of hearing me always tell him how bad I was feeling. Well, sorry, can't help it. [shake]

Him and I don't really talk much anymore... And it's sad because he was my best friend during high school (I'm 24 now).

I guess it's when you get really sick that you find out who your real friends are. They'll stay by your side no matter how you're feeling.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

disturbedme

For over 25 years now I have occasionally looked at my side and found a big empty spot where my friends use to be.

Now one of them is sick---she could very easily have lyme disease. I called her three weeks ago just to ask how she was. I left a message though I haven't heard from her in over a year (not even when both of my parents died within three weeks of each other.)
Did she return my call. No.

sick

Peacesoul
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by disturbedme:
My husband is also very caring and understanding, but there comes times when he tells me, "Oh, you can go back to work. I think it would be good for you, etc., etc." When I know deep down that's not going to be good for me right now (even my LLMD and my lyme-friendly doctor think it would be best if I stayed home and/or worked from home). Sadly, we're in a position right now with finances that I might have to go back into work. Not something I want to do at all. Something I'm terrified of doing because I'm afraid of what it might cause: a set back, I won't be resting and healing like I need to be, I won't be getting as much rest as I seem to always need as I take many naps usually, etc.

My family also told me it was best for me to go back to work. My dr's on the other hand thought I need more time at home.
I was off for 4 months and went back 2 months ago part time and now I'm full time.
It's helped me to be out of the house and off the PC and couch because I focused too much on me and feeling sorry for myself.

I have some tough days where I need to sleep or feel really sick but on those days, I either stay home or leave work early.

It's not been easy, but for my mental state, I need to function "normally"

I'm also lucky in that my family and friends understand. They don't understand lyme or how it makes me feel, but they know I'm not well and they love me so they try really hard to get it.

I guess some people just fear the unknown so they put it away hoping it goes away. Try not to take it personal. I know it's hard, but if they love you, then it's about them and not you.

GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So nice to see this post...

I recently got divorced and moved back home to NY from Florida. My husband wasn't regularly paying alimony, I can't work, and it made more sense to me to move in with family. I'm living with my aunt and uncle and cousin.

My aunt and cousin do their best to understand, but my uncle has been asking me constantly if I found a job yet. He also asks my aunt and cousin this all the time. He KNOWS the whole point of me coming back home was to try to heal and THEN get a job when I was better.

When my family tells my uncle that I am too sick to work he makes snide and sarcastic comments. This hurts me and angers me!

I know I need to confront him on this, but I just don't have the energy. He has even done the typical, "But you look good! You don't look like you feel sick at all!" Well, I learned if you say how you really feel, people don't really want to hear it. So, not wanting to be a "downer," I have learned to talk very little about how I feel. I can't win, though. Because I'm not complaining and I'm trying my best to do everything I can, some people think I must not really be sick!

People's attitudes can be the insult added to the injury. I know myself and my limitations and there's no way I can work right now, but my uncle makes me feel like I'm lazy or freeloading when he makes his snide comments about me not working. I can't even THINK about getting a job right now!

Every day I have to fight to not sink into a deep depression every time I face the fact that I may not ever improve enough to work again. What will I do then? My uncle can be hurtful, but doesn't he realize that my life has been turned upside down and I'd LOVE to be able to work and be independent again??

I can't understand people's lack of compassion sometimes. Sometimes they aren't even thinking logically. Like we WANT to be in the position we're in! I guess it just makes us even stronger to have to deal with people's attitudes on top of everything else!

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As soon as the DVD for "Under My Skin" documentary comes out, give one to ever person in your family who doesn't get it.

You won't ever have to say another word. Goto medical for feedback of the debut of the film at the Tribeca Film Festival.

That will be my Christmas gift to everyone.

Just be patient...it will be worth the validation!!

Best,

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the meantime, forward this to them:

Under our Skin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxWgS0XLVqw
5 min. 25 sec.

Lyme disease documentary trailer. A VERY good trailer!!! Can't wait for it to come out on DVD!

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dorothy, since under the skin was mentioned, go to my post at top of medical of all lyme videos compiled; many to chose from you can send folks or to sit down and watch them together! [group hug]
Munch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Munch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Spoon Theory method of explaining chronic illness. People get it right away.

Then you can say "Sorry, I'm out of spoons for today!"

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/navigation/BYDLS-TheSpoonTheory.pdf

Posts: 192 | From Dwight, IL USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymie-Pie
Member # 13900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymie-Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am soooooo tired of hearing "you probably have that flu thats going around" or "maybe it's allergies" or the 1000 other things my family and friends say. not saying Im not perfectly capable of contracting the flu and yes I have sinus and allergy issues but come on!!!! gimme a break! I have Lyme disease! I know not all of my maladies are directly due to Lyme but friends and family seem to have the same "no such thing as chronic Lyme" mentality as most doctors do! It's as if you have to explain to the daily that yes I do infact STILL have Lyme disease today, hasnt changed from yesterday and if I just generally dont feel well or am very tired, there is a VERY good chance it is my Lyme causing the problem and getting out of the house becasue "some fresh air will do you good" is not always the best idea! rawwwwwwwwwrrrrr....lol! glad to know I'm not the only one that faces this problem!
Posts: 16 | From Kentucky, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme-pie you definitely aren't the only one facing this insanity!

I mainly get the "but you look so good" (as if that changes the diagnosis) and I also get asked by some people if I'm better yet--even though I have explained to people over and over that Lyme isn't like a cold that runs its course.

Though I guess its nice that certain people even ask if I'm better. My own mother never asks me how I'm doing at all!

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymie-Pie
Member # 13900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymie-Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Gena, it always makes you feel better to know you're not alone!

Munch, the spoon theory rocks! thanks for sharing that!

Im feeling spoonless.....lol

Posts: 16 | From Kentucky, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i actually prefer no one asking how i am doing...b/c if they were really concerned and wanted to know they would call me .... especially when months go by and i haven't been seen

i only have very few people that i can talk to and i try not to "over burden" them with what our family is going through

when my youngest missed 1/2 the school year...and we hadn't been seen at the bus stop for many weeks...not one neighbor called to see if we were ok....many i thought were friends who we had known for a few years

hearing "but you look so good" makes my skin crawl!

we just got back from vacation...i always push myself to make sure we all have fun and that the kids stay well....and as always i collapse when i get back...i could not get out of bed this morning and was hallucinating....very scary...this i can talk to no one about...how would they understand...you know that they wouldn't [loco]

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement