LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Acne like skin breakouts face/neck/ears

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Acne like skin breakouts face/neck/ears
circle3382
Member # 13402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for circle3382     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've searched high and low for any sort of insight on this, but have yet to find much of anything. I started my Lyme treatment with Doxy (2.5 mos.), then added IV Rocephin (2g- 4x wk) for 1.5 of those months. While on the Rocephin I had a strange acne type breakout on my neck below my ears and next to my ears on my face. More like zillions of little bumps and clogged pores, rash like but no itching. I thought it might have been a Herx but it lasted for over a month, so then I thought maybe it was a mild allergic reaction to the ABX (because I had a nagging cough 24 hrs. day). I thought it would go away when I switched to Biaxin and Flagyl (taking 1.5 mos now), but the the breaking out/clogged pores expanded to more areas on my cheek, neck and forehead. And now on my chest. As much as I would like for it to be a Herx, I wonder whether or not I would have a Herx reaction like this for months at a time. At this point my skin is just filled with bumps everywhere on my face, neck and chest. The way I see it, it is either because so much is dying off that my body has no other way to get rid of it, or my liver isn't functioning very efficiently and hence the breakouts to get rid of body ``scum''. I had a liver panel done about 1 month ago and it came back fine. I also have not had much Herxing the entire time I've been on ABX, other than some fatigue and excessive fogginess. Currently I've stopped taking the ABX, but haven't noticed much of a change (only been 3 days). Has anyone had any of this happen.

Thanks

Posts: 3 | From Orlando | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....up for circle, i can't read this at all; looks like others couldn't either...

When you post or reply, please break up your solid, continuous block text [Smile]

welcome to the board! many of us have neuro lyme where we can NOT read long solid block text and be able to comprehend and read it as is.

please edit your post by CLICKING PAPER/PENCIL ICON to right of your name. that opens up BOTH subject line and body text.

now please break up your WORDY SENTENCES into one sentence paragraphs. Then hit ENTER KEY ``THREE`` after each paragraph; we need that space for comprehension.

if you are NOT a wordy person, you can do 2 or 3 total ok. do this for your entire post.

then go to left hand corner and mark box to receive ALL REPLIES, and click EDIT SEND

we thank you for helping us; [Wink] otherwise, we will SOB, SCROLL ON BY, since we can't read to help you. If I see posts like this, I SOB them; to hard on me. I'm also in the early stages of losing my eyesight from diabetes retinopathy. [Frown]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breaking up for neuro-lymies [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by circle3382:
I've searched high and low for any sort of insight on this, but have yet to find much of anything.

I started my Lyme treatment with Doxy (2.5 mos.), then added IV Rocephin (2g- 4x wk) for 1.5 of those months.

While on the Rocephin I had a strange acne type breakout on my neck below my ears and next to my ears on my face.

More like zillions of little bumps and clogged pores, rash like but no itching.

I thought it might have been a Herx but it lasted for over a month, so then I thought maybe it was a mild allergic reaction to the ABX (because I had a nagging cough 24 hrs. day).

I thought it would go away when I switched to Biaxin and Flagyl (taking 1.5 mos now), but the the breaking out/clogged pores expanded to more areas on my cheek, neck and forehead. And now on my chest.

As much as I would like for it to be a Herx, I wonder whether or not I would have a Herx reaction like this for months at a time.

At this point my skin is just filled with bumps everywhere on my face, neck and chest.

The way I see it, it is either because so much is dying off that my body has no other way to get rid of it, or my liver isn't functioning very efficiently and hence the breakouts to get rid of body ``scum''.

I had a liver panel done about 1 month ago and it came back fine.

I also have not had much Herxing the entire time I've been on ABX, other than some fatigue and excessive fogginess.

Currently I've stopped taking the ABX, but haven't noticed much of a change (only been 3 days).

Has anyone had any of this happen.

Thanks

I'm curious, have you had any Bart-like symptoms?
I've had something like what you describe. I've also had it on thighs and arms.

It seemed to clear up while on 30 days of Levaquin. No other Tx had effected it. I don't think the 30 days was enough because it has been coming back again, along with most of my other Sx.

I am curious to know if anyone else has had this too and whether it is a "Bart-Like Organism" thing or a general Lyme thing.

I haven't had any problems with my liver functions and detox attempts had no impact on it either.

[confused]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryL
Member # 11997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaryL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son developed folliculitis of the scalp which required clindamycin gel. He also has numerous (small) outbreaks completely down his arms to his wrists & over all his legs.

It's also on his back. He is only 12 & this "rash" seems to be almost everywhere on him. Don't know if he has bart, but sure he has Lyme.

We were bit by cat fleas, so I suspect bart (cat scratch fever organism).

Posts: 81 | From Iowa | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryL
Member # 11997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaryL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Circle - You might also want to post this over in the "Medical" section. More people might see it there who have answers for you. Good luck.
Posts: 81 | From Iowa | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KaitlinB
Member # 11718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaitlinB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Circle,
I have had the same acne-type, clogged pores since I began treatment almost 2 years ago. I started with Rocephin, added Flagyl a couple weeks later.

Soon after adding Flagyl I broke out on my face, chest, back; later also on my neck (just under my ears) and upper shoulders.

My father, who also has Lyme, had the same reaction. My take is that the body is trying to eliminate toxins thru the skin-the largest organ in the body.

I have been off Rocephin for 5 months & am now on Malarone & Zith. The breakouts are worse than ever.

Hope it's a small consolation to know you are not alone in having this annoying symptom!

--------------------
Kaitlin

Posts: 67 | From CO | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MysteryGirl44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! [Smile]

I had this, too. It's great that you posted this. I had that on my shoulders and back and it wasn't quite pimples, just bumps, so acne creams didn't help.

But since I switched antibiotics a few days ago, it's clearing up beautifully. [Cool]

I'm sure it's caused by the body detoxifying.

I'm getting tested for Bartonella and some other co-infections. When I get the results in a month I'll let you know what they are. Maybe it also has to do with co-infections.

Good luck! [Smile]

--------------------
"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."

www.myspace.com/lymediseaseawareness

Posts: 514 | From New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement