LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Thursday May 29th - Insights Into the Lyme Crisis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thursday May 29th - Insights Into the Lyme Crisis
ellenluba
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ellenluba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme Disease Forum

Bergen Community College

Technology Education Center (TEC) Room 128

400 Paramus Road, Paramus, NJ 07652

Call Lia if you need a ride or can offer a ride 914-474-2679

Click here for MapQuest directions (easy access from NY, CT, PA, NJ)

7:00 pm Thursday May 29, 2008 - Doors open at 6pm

Free, open to the public, no registration required

Insights Into the Crisis, Key Players and the Future

Author Pamela Weintraub who is an editor at Discover Magazine, New York, in her first public discussion about her book, Cure Unknown:

Inside the Lyme Epidemic

Exclusive Pre Release of Book for Sale & Signing ($25)

Attorney Elliott Pollack who has defended some of the premier Lyme treating physicians against charges related to long term treatment

Dr. Joseph Burrascano, whose own private journey has led him through the clinical, political, legal, and research aspects of the disease

President Pat Smith (LDA) whose own personal experience with Lyme disease led her to over 22 years of advocacy efforts to find a cure

7:00pm Opening Remarks & Personal Insights

Pat Smith, President, Lyme Disease Association, Moderator

7:15pm Pamela Weintraub

Veteran science journalist Pam Weintraub discusses CURE UNKNOWN, the first major journalistic examination of the Lyme wars and a dramatic narrative history of the epidemic from its earliest days. In her first public talk about her book, Weintraub will describe her personal journey and her six-year-long aggressive investigation into the dark waters of Lyme. She'll report some surprising new findings from the forefront of academia while also deconstructing the flawed science, hubris and moneyed interests that have led to the tragic landscape of Lyme and other tick-borne disease today.

7:30pm Dr. Joseph Burrascano, Jr.

Dr. Burrascano tells about his initial involvement in Lyme disease, his 1992 testimony to Congress, followed almost immediately by the beginnings of a medical board inquiry, his insights on the Lyme crises, what he is doing today and how he sees the future.

7:45pm Attorney Elliott Pollack

Elliott Pollack adds his voice and his experience to the Lyme wars, and he provides knowledge from his cases as he defends doctors against medical board charges. He shares his perspective on how the political situation has escalated, hurting doctors and patients alike, and useful insights to help doctors who are treating.

8:00pm Interactive Panel Presentation

9:15pm Questions & Answers with Audience

--------------------

Posts: 819 | From New York, NY | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
taking place TONIGHT!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please post notes!
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents went although I don't have "notes" yet to post....

They said it was great, but a realtively small turn out (about 60 people)

It was noted to be the first Lyme gathering of it's kind that discussed the political issues, not focused just on medical aspects

My parents bought 2 books (one for me, one for them) My mom talked with Pamela Weintraub for a while.

The book seems great and hopefully will go a long way in educating the public about what is really going on..

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlienj
Member # 12017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlienj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was there. I thought it looked like a little higher of a turnout, maybe closer to 75 people.

Pat Smith opened the forum by giving a bit of her personal background with dealing with lyme, primarily her daughter's history. I wasn't familiar with any of this as this was my first conference/LDA event though I'm sure a number of others were.

Then, the three speakers each spoke for about 20 minutes or so (Pam and Dr. B a bit longer than Pollack). Dr. B and Pollack were very good presenters, which isn't surprising as I'd assume Dr. B's done public speaking for a number of years now and Pollack's an attorney. It seemed like Pam was a bit newer to public speaking.

After their individual presentations, the three, along with Pat, spoke on various items for a bit, and then the forum concluded with a session of answering questions submitted by the audience. Pollack left prior to this question and answer session (the forum started about a half hour late), and Pat responded to a number of the questions as well as Pam and Dr. B. I was impressed with Pat during this session as she had a very good public speaking presence, formulated her thoughts and selected her words very well, and came across knowledgable with good and direct responses.

I don't have much time right now, and my memory's a bit shot at the moment so I can't recall many specifics of the information presented. One thing I'll mention was Dr. B's speech, which detailed his initial involvement with lyme including testing methodology used by someone he worked with or knew through his work (McDonald?) which enabled McDonald to see the spirochetes in samples from patients under a microscope. He also spoke about his prior court case and not being able to present scientific articles and whatnot on his behalf due largely to some provisions for the NY medical board court system he was tried under. These are just a few of the items discussed.

As Larkspur said, it was more of a political/activist type forum than a scientific one, and this was pointed out by Pat that it was the first such conference primarily geared towards the political side that the LDA was hosting. I was familiar with a lot of the political/activist aspects already (HR 741, Blumenthal's decision, "Under Our Skin", etc.), but there of course were some items and issues that were new to me.

It was probably more beneficial though in that regard for my mom who came with me and lives in Pallone's district. My parents have their hands and time full with my sister but have both interacted extensively with local and state politicians in the past, and I've been trying to get them up to speed on a lot of lyme and related issues. My mom ended up talking to Pat for a bit afterwards, and both my parents plan on meeting with Pallone directly (who they've dealt with before) to discuss the lyme issues.

Pam's book was also available for sale, and I got a copy of it as I'm guessing most people there did.

Posts: 43 | From NJ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the update.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlienj
Member # 12017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlienj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other thing of note. I'm nearly positive (as positive as my lyme brain will allow me to be) that Dr. B stated that the prevalence of Bartonella in ticks in NJ was greater than that of lyme. I don't know if there was a specific study he was basing this statement on or a number of studies and data.

I'm still reading up on and getting familiar with the science behind lyme and TBI, but I'd think this would be a pretty big concern for those of us in NJ, especially those who don't resolve with lyme treatment. I assume that the transmission of bartonella from tick to human is as likely (or not significantly less likely) than lyme upon a tick bite, but I don't know for sure. I'm also curious if the ticks carrying bartonella in NJ are just as likely to bite humans (if the prevalence of bartonella varies in different types of ticks than lyme) as ticks carrying lyme.

Assuming both of the above stipulations are true (or at least not significantly less likely) as well as what the statement from Dr. B. indicates, then it leads me to believe that bartonella is highly under-diagnosed in NJ, both in the general public and within those of us being treated for lyme and TBI. I don't know where to get data for reported bartonella cases in NJ offhand to get some gauge of this, but for one thing, I'd be surprised if the number of people in NJ treated for bartonella and not lyme comes anywhere near approaching the number being treated for lyme and not bartonella.

I'm just brain-storming off the top here so others are free to comment. I realize I may also be overlooking other variables in play. I suppose it's possible that an average immune system is able to better eradicate bartonella than lyme upon infection though I haven't seen anything to indicate this in my limited research regarding bartonella.

Just some food for thought.

Posts: 43 | From NJ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To the top! Excellent report.
Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent description CharlieNJ...

Thanks so much for taking time to share.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement