LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » hubbie's back is out -- suggestions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hubbie's back is out -- suggestions?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mike and i went camping and he went fishing four days at least twice a day.

so he comes home and moves the airplane in our hangar to get the rv and boat back in.

now he's flat out in bed and can't move. i mean he's got pillows under his knees, is taking momentum. he can't even get up to sit on the toliet...

have you got any suggestions to help? he's suffering...

he's got a lot of scar tissue from being wounded in vietnam and it makes things worse.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh how awlful. I suffer w/lower Back Pain. Only thing that works while in spasms is cool packs. Helps the inflamation. I use ice for 20mins on then off for awhile, the 20 mins on.

The 2nd day I can use heat but find I prefer ice/cool paks.

best wishes for speedy relief.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear, I hate when I suffer with this.

I end up having to call my doctor and he calls in some muscle relaxants for me. It's the only thing that starts to ease the pain.

I know how your hubby feels. I can't move at all when it happens. Getting out of be is the most difficult.

kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Under same circumstances,,,only way i spell relief is-- Chiro--practer,,they helped me more times than I care to admit!!

AND a sleep number bed doesnt hurt either,,,IF its his lower back mostly on rising in morning,,TRY puting pillows between legs ALL night,,miracles do happen!!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing about muscle relaxants (like Flexeril) is that you need/must take them with an anti-inflammatory at the same time to get the maximum results. I did not know this when I first had my first back spasm/injury.

No one told me, not my primary care doc (who prescribed the flexeril for me) not the doc in the box who renewed the flexeril for me.

Why are docs these days so stupid? My primary, who first prescribed the flexeril, and saw me in such agony when I had my first back strain injury actually prescribed the flexeril in too low a dose. What a dumb bell. I did not look up the drug on the internet, but I wish I had, since I took the stupid drug at too low a dose, and concluded that it didnn't work, and stopped taking it.

When I had my 2nd back strain injury (a year later) I so wanted to take SOMETHING to make it go away, or even ease me down off the ceiling of pain, but I didn't think of taking the Flexeril again, because it didn't seem to work the year before when I first took it.

Someone asked me if I had taken some Aleve at the same time I took the Flexeril, and I said, no, no one suggested doing that. Well, that's the combo that works, and it works well. But, you have to take the correct dose of the Flexeril, and you have to take the Aleve at the same time. Muscle relaxant, plus anti inflammatory for the first 3 days, and you are up and functioning again.

I did take both these drugs, like someone mentioned to me, and it worked. I was astonished.

So, Flexeril, plus Aleve, first 3 days of agony, and you will see relief. I did, and I wish I'd had this info during my first back injury. Sheesh. dumb docs. All around.

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1rosepedal
Member # 15653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1rosepedal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After having 2 back surgeries including a spine fusion, I can totally relate to back pain.

What worked/helped me when in pain was a combination of ice for 15-20 minutes, taking a short break, then using a heating pad for about 10 minutes.

I would keep repeating that cycle while taking about 600mg of aleve every 4 - 6 hours.

When he tries to get out of bed, have him roll onto his side, put his legs over and sit up. This I still do.

I've tried flexoril, but don't like it. It gives me a huge hangover. If he is looking for a good muscle relaxer, I like "Soma". No hangover with this one.

Good Luck!

Posts: 18 | From Mount Airy Maryland | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement