LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Lyme Broadcast on GMA TODAY, JULY 4th

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme Broadcast on GMA TODAY, JULY 4th
BJ
Member # 12278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Lyme broadcast is on Good Morning America today, July 4th!!!!!! I saw a segment on it so it will be on today for sure. Watch immediately!!!!
Posts: 14 | From Newville, PA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twingirl
Member # 13172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw it!! After 3 days of watching that show it was finally on today!! I'll bet Dr. Bransfield will be bummed out cause they didn't show much of his interview. Only a few minutes and I heard it was a long grilling interview. Not a bad segment, but could have been much better!! They really should have had more of the debate covered, but at least they emphasized that Lyme was a dangerous nasty illness and that prompt treatment was important.

The GMA duck said to ask your dr about any questions about lyme. HA!!! As if regular ducks know anything about it!!

But they did show some excellent clips from Under our Skin documentary.

What did you all think??

--------------------
dar

Posts: 95 | From michigan | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nwisser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15682

Icon 9 posted      Profile for nwisser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aargh! I missed it! Did anyone tape it? Can someone post it on Youtube?

Thanks!

--------------------
Just because it' s not nice doesn' t mean it' s not miraculous.
--Terry Pratchett

Posts: 121 | From Nazareth, PA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was positive that they showed clips from "Under MY Skin" (brodcaster blooper) AND I think it's great that it was even on GMA.

However, I thought the woman's info was a bit misleading. 80% get a bulls eye rash? One treatment of abx, sometimes a month? Uh, ok, bob-cut lady.

I'm mean. I'm grateful for ANY work put into this...that lady just rubbed me the wrong way.

I give it a grade of B-.

Sorry...you know I'm a positive and supportive person. I guess any exposure is good exposure (no pun intended).

I missed seeing Pam Weintraub. I think her verbiage would have made a difference.

Every little piece helps, though so thanks so much to anyone involved getting it on there in the first place!!

Best,

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
perplexed
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1913

Icon 4 posted      Profile for perplexed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched it on video this afternoon, and I was disappointed. Just specifics with no in depth details!! Some ole same ole!

I also wish Dr Bransfield was able to say more.

I have asked many doctors questions about Lyme Disease, and the most popular answer is "There is no such thing here"!!!!!!! Ducks do not know anything about it.

How about one pill to get rid of it? With acne it takes months of antibiotics to get rid of it and even years. What a double standard.

I give the segment a C-.

Hugs, Perplexed [bonk]

Posts: 324 | From Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I could not find the video link at the ABC or their GMA site.

Here's the Article:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=5300584&page=1

Misdiagnosis: Lyme Disease Dangers
New Documentary Explores Pros and Cons of Long-Term Medications

By CINDY L. SMITH, DAVID MUIR and EMILY YACUS

July 4, 2008 --

The Fourth of July means we're in full summer swing, but that also means it's prime time for Lyme disease _ the painful, debilitating infection spread by ticks. The Centers for Disease Control says more than 20,000 people get the disease every year, and the numbers are rising.

An emotionally charged new documentary titled "Under Our Skin" looks at sufferers of chronic Lyme disease, a painful condition at the center of a heated medical debate.

The symptoms are various. One Lyme disease sufferer showcased in the documentary likened the pain to "being all tied up like a mummy, so you can't move anything, and tape across your mouth so you can't say anything."

Ben is a baseball player whose hands shake uncontrollably. He describes how the disease changed his life: "I went from being a gifted athlete to, you know, times where it was hard to put a shirt on."

A young girl named Mandy describes her mental state as confused, but that "doctors said there was nothing wrong with me. I was just making it all up."

Most cases of Lyme disease can be treated easily with a short course of antibiotics, but for some, persistent symptoms are challenging conventional medical wisdom.

Chronic fatigue syndrome. Lupus. Fibromyalgia. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Multiple sclerosis. These are some of the diagnoses that the subjects of "Under Our Skin" say doctors have incorrectly placed on them. And sometimes they receive no diagnosis at all.

One patient was told, "There's no medicine for you. You're an attractive girl. You don't feel like you're getting enough attention."

Patients like these say they are suffering from an ongoing Lyme infection, but various doctor groups hotly contest whether "chronic" Lyme disease actually exists. They are at odds over the scientific evidence.

Lyme disease, if treated early, can be cured with antibiotics. Usually a 10-to-28-day course of medicine will cure up to 95 percent of people within a few weeks. But it can progress to arthritis, meningitis, nerve and heart damage, and other chronic problems if not treated soon enough.

Dr. Gary Wormser, chief of infectious diseases at New York Medical College, told Newsday that "long-term antibiotic therapy has not proven effective and may be dangerous."

Dr. Martin Blaser, who is featured in the documentary and is a member of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, as well as New York University's School of Medicine, is cautious to medicate as well.

"We want to help people who are suffering _ that's our job. But our job is not to make things up just because people want answers. We look at the scientific literature, and we try to guide their doctors."

On the other side of the treatment debate is Dr. Robert Bransfield, of the International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society.

He says, "There's plenty of science that supports persistent Lyme disease, and it's a broader perspective and interpretation of the science. Many people who could be treated aren't and go on to suffer chronic illness that could be avoided and prevented."

Further complicating the problem, there is no reliable test that tells you if the Lyme infection is still present in the body. And doctors strongly disagree over long-term antibiotic use, which is often prescribed to these chronic patients. In clinical trials the results have been mixed, and for some its use has been fatal.

Blaser describes the difficulty of knowing how to treat a symptom. "Sometimes doing the wrong thing is worse than doing nothing. It's better to find out what's really going on and address that and treat it, then take an unproven therapy that can be dangerous."

Bransfield says, "If the risk of the disease is worse than the risk of treatment, then we want to treat. If it's not, then we don't."

And for those who are suffering, it's clearly worth the risk.

One Lyme patient on medication said, "If I had not been able to find doctors who would soak me in antibiotics for years, you wouldn't be talking to the guy you're talking to now. The folk myth is that somehow antibiotics are bad for you. I just have to say they're not bad for you if you have a fatal infection."

After six months of treatment, Ben noticed a difference in his condition. "It's without a doubt better. No question in my mind. I feel like I'm getting back to myself compared to the past. I think it's night and day."

Mandy agrees with Ben on medicine's efficacy. "You're so disabled by the disease, you're in a panic state. You want help. It doesn't matter _ you'll pay anything to get your health back."

The Infectious Diseases Society recently agreed to review its governing guidelines for Lyme disease, in an effort to address the long-term medication debate.

(Keebler's note interjected: well, that's a spin by the IDSA, and poor journalism: "agreed to?")

Here are five steps to minimize Lyme/tick-borne disease this holiday weekend:

Avoid or Be Aware of Areas Where Ticks Love to Hide
These includes tall grasses, piles of leaves and pretty much anywhere outdoors in early-mid summer, especially in Northeast and Midwestern states. And remember, other tick-borne infections lurk in many places.

Wear Protective Clothing to Keep Ticks Off Your Skin

Wear long pants, tucked into your socks; long shirttails, tucked into your pants; and long sleeves and gloves if working outdoors. Light-colored clothing will help repel hot sunlight and to "see the tick."

They are the size of a tiny sesame seed, so they're pretty hard to see no matter what. Don't forget a wide-brim hat for sun protection. Wash clothes in hot water and dry them in high heat for an hour.

Spray Insect Repellent

Protect yourself with 20 percent to 30 percent DEET or more potent Permethrin on clothes. (Hopefully your skin is now covered completely except for your face.)

Check Skin With Help of a Buddy

Ticks can find the most unsuspecting of places to attach and feed, so make sure to have daily skin checks if you feel like you've been exposed.

Remove any ticks promptly with a tweezer. If the tick is on your skin less than 24 hours, the risk of Lyme is very small.

If it's on your skin longer than 24 hours, call your doctor and ask about a preventive dose of antibiotics. ( Kebbler, again: Awrrhhh ! 24 hours? Where are the journalists?)

Know the Signs and Symptoms of Early Lyme Disease

If you have any concerns, ask your doctor about an antibiotic and/or blood test.

Seventy percent to 80 percent of people infected with Lyme disease get a bull's-eye rash on their skin. Other symptoms include chills, fever, headache, fatigue, joint pain and swollen lymph nodes.

Lyme disease can be treated with antibiotics, although pregnant women, young children and those allergic to antibiotics should consult with their doctor to decide the best treatment.

Bottom Line: If Something Is Not Right, Trust Your Health Radar as You Know Best. Just because medical science doesn't have the answer that doesn't mean you don't have a problem or it's all in your head.

Copyright � 2008 ABC News Internet Ventures

-

(Reader comments are posted at the link.)

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks keebler for copying the text here for reading!

i was posts 24 & 25 since they limit it to 2000 characters!!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just watched it on youtube....

...very frustrating to watch....

positives......they showed clips from Under Our Skin..and..Dr. B was on...

but sooooo many negatives....
I give it a C-.......and being nice about it... [bonk]

[Roll Eyes] mtree

--------------------
worrying about tomorrow takes its strength away from today

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't want to be a cynic so I gave it a B- but honestly, closer to a C-, D+. [rant]

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ellenluba
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ellenluba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this link should bring you to the video.

http://abcnews. go.com/search? searchtext= Lyme%20disease% 20GMA&type=

I will post this as a new subject for anyone looking just for the video who might not check out this thread.
Ellen

--------------------

Posts: 819 | From New York, NY | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
52 comments as of now!! whoopie!

but i hate it taking our broken up paragraphs and 1 huge solid block mess ... can't read! NOT taking time to block/copy ... [cussing]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement