LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Author to Discuss Cure Unknown, Friday July 18 7PM, Borders, Mt. Kisco

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Author to Discuss Cure Unknown, Friday July 18 7PM, Borders, Mt. Kisco
Pam Weintraub
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam Weintraub   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to let list members know I will be giving a talk at Borders Books in Mt. Kisco NY this Friday evening, July 18, 7 PM. Please spread the word on whatever other lists you happen to be on. Thanks, Pam Weintraub

ATTENTION WESTCHESTER NY RESIDENTS:
Meet the Author of

CURE UNKNOWN: INSIDE THE LYME EPIDEMIC

at

BORDERS BOOKS IN MT. KISCO, FRIDAY, JULY 18 7PM

http://www.cureunknown.com

directions:
http://www.bordersstores.com/stores/store_pg.jsp?storeID=219

Discover magazine editor and former Chappaqua resident Pam Weintraub discusses her shocking expose of an epidemic right in your own
backyard. With her family's grueling medical odyssey as the starting point, Weintraub lifts the veil to expose the under-the-radar history,
politics, and science of tick-borne disease. From inadequate tests and treatments to contested late symptoms like cardiac illness, memory loss and psychiatric disease to insurance company denials, she reveals the ticking clock of a raging epidemic. Discussion will include the deep drivers of the war over Lyme disease, expert conflicts of
interest, the threat of different Lyme strains and co- infections, and hope for better tests and treatments up the road.

[ 17. July 2008, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Pam Weintraub ]

--------------------
Pam Weintraub
Cure Unknown

Posts: 66 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

question for those of you who are SEVERE NEURO LYME PATIENTS WHO CAN NOT COMPREHEND/READ

"LONG, SOLID BLOCK TEXT", were you able to read pam's LONG paragraphs OR are they broken up so you CAN comprehend??

i'm interested in her book, BUT not at expense of severe migraines if it's like what i just saw here at her site....

http://www.cureunknown.com/chapterone.html

pam, is your book LONG, SOLID BLOCK TEXT PARAGRAPHS or is it more like OUR lymenet board here, with short paragraphs and blank lines so we can comprehend?

thank you; i want to be ABLE TO READ IT and my neuro symptoms are EXTREME! due to 38.5 years of having chronic lyme. thanks for understanding! betty [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty,

Her book is written out in decent-sized paragraphs, like most hardback books on the market today. The publisher used a 12-point, serif-style font, with no double-returns between paragraphs, and about a 3-space indent.

When I have had trouble reading due to Lyme issues, I have been helped by

-- getting a plain piece of paper or card to hold under the line I
was reading

-- with online text, keeping the line I was reading within a line or two of the top or bottom edge of the screen

-- taking frequent, brief breaks from reading (sometimes a walk down the hall and back was enough)

-- reading out loud, or imagining I was having to explain the passage to someone else

I hope that helps. Some things are worth reading, including this book!

Take care,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Weintraub
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam Weintraub   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty, As stated above, CURE UNKNOWN is a standard hardcover book. It is out there, IN THE BOOKSTORES, for the general public.

It is my hope that CURE UNKNOWN can serve as a bridge between what we experience as patients and the rest of the world: It is for Lyme patients, but also for all those others who have failed to treat them with the respect and recognition they deserve.

It is meant to live ...and live on ...in that mainstream world.

I hope that in the future my publisher may be able to produce a large text version or better yet, an audio book, for patients with neurological Lyme disease.

Meanwhile, this is a good reason for those patients to COME TO THE TALK --where they can ask questions, meet each other, and gain some insight.

Thank you for your points regarding neurological Lyme disease and I will be certain to bring them to the attention of my publishers at St. Martin's Press.

As to my website, alas, it was programmed by yours truly --I do the best I can, but I am not a professional web programmer.

However, based on your comments I will see if I can narrow the columns and enlarge the type of large text blocks over the weekend and I certainly look forward to your continued feedback.

--------------------
Pam Weintraub
Cure Unknown

Posts: 66 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pam,

I wish so much that Mt. Kisco were closer. Do you plan on doing this around the country or is this a one time thing?

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pam and shaz,

thank you both for your comments on pam's book and pam's website!!!

pam, thank you for your concerns and understanding what i/others go thru reading things, etc.

i look forward to seeing your changes on your site, etc! please let me know here since i DISABLED MY PMS for now until i get my major project ended on my newbie package with complete table of contents to be finished by this weekend so it can be posted to medical like treepatrols is!!

also, i too am interested if you will be traveling to other states, IOWA, specifically; we have Borders here in our city too.

thank you for being open-minded to others predicaments!

pam,

i don't buy things online; do you know if i could order your book and another one from amazone online BUT get the discounted fee and mail a check to a specific address?

thanks for your knowledge and anyone else knowledgeable about NON paypal orders. [group hug] [kiss]

Pam Weintraub
Member # 15718

bump

--------------------
Pam Weintraub
Cure Unknown

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pma,

i read somewhere where your 1st edition has sold out,

in your 2nd print, would you consider having a larger print for folks like me??

AUTHOR, PJ LANGHOFF, did on her IT'S ALL IN MY HEAD SERIES, and it was fantastic for me!!!

just a friendly suggestion ok pam! thanks for your consideration...betty [Smile]

Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the author has the choice on whether the book will be published in large print. Once a major publisher has the book, they decide those things. Sometimes the author can make additions to the second addition.

They do make magnifiers that make it easier to read regular print. You might try one of those Betty.

I worry that you are working much too hard here. I notice that you post at all hours, night and day. And make comment on almost every post. I hope you are not wearing yourself out. Uffdaaa.

Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some magnifiers if you are
interested, BG:
(google search for
magnifier reading

http://tinyurl.com/6kbshw

another site:

http://tinyurl.com/59pukp
(this one had lots of visual reading aids)

http://tinyurl.com/6arw25
This is the same as the second site, but these
are head worn, like dentist, and the
magnification power has a range of choices.

Another aid to break up the paragraphs, is to take a piece of posterboard, and cut out a rectangle in the
middle.

This will limit your field of vision to the
number of lines you would be comfortable with.
It also blocks out distraction of other lines.

NS

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Weintraub
Member # 15718

Betty --I do not have the same flexibility as those who self-publish. The hardcover of Cure Unknown is just going to be a reprint of the same book, not another version.

For a major publisher, every new version --such as a large text version-- is a large expense, requiring new art layout, new production, another run of the press and more. You are talking about reconfiguring the pagination and THEN reworking the index and table of contents and notes at back to reflect that --requiring the editors and copy editors get into the act again to make sure there are no errors.

In a book like this, with everything on each page referenced to a source at the back of the volume, this would be a huge endeavor.

I'll ask about the possibility of a second, large-print version for the paperback, but it is likely they will tell me the expense is too high.

I would rather have an audio book to make this especially accessible. Thank you for your interest.

Pam Weintraub

[ 19. July 2008, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Pam Weintraub ]

--------------------
Pam Weintraub
Cure Unknown

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PAM, NORTHSTAR, AND ANN,

thank you each for your comments!

ns, i put those links in my favorites to reference again another day/night! thanks for finding them for me.

pam,

i'm learning thru your posts; the major differences like you are doing on your book vs. how PJ did her books, etc.

so much to consider, etc; thank you for the good job you did of explaining it to me! [kiss]

IF an audible book were to be done, would you have an estimate of MONTHS/time it would take before it would be out to the public like me??

again, thanks for taking time from your busy schedule to answer my questions! [group hug] [kiss]

ann, i so would love for my body to get back to NORMAL night hours/sleep but it's been this way 2-3 years now!!

i did take many hours off this week tofinish my newbie package or reorganizing it, making a complete table of contents WITHOUT PAGE NUMBERS as i'll be adding it to it weekly, and will NOT spend countless hours more on it.

i had all my SSDI, disability insurance info to organize and then a complete table of contents to it.

tried posting it here tonight without success; lou b will make it a sticky feature in medical like treepatrols!

so i got some much needed R & R !! uffda, needed that!

too much happening at home with 1-2" of water in bsement 3 times in one month; learning we need a new sewer line put in 1 week after we put in public sidewalk; a new front step deteroriated and unsafe due to so much ice used last winter during all our ice storms!

hubby's parkinson's is getting worse, and he's fallen twice lately; last on july 4th!

thank you for my health concern! betty [Smile]

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding larger print.

A friend recently told me about a,"kindle".

It is expensive (around $400)but it allows you to read any book and adjust the print size.

Books can be ordered from Amazon.com for 10 bucks each!

I haven't looked into this yet but thought I might post about this in case it can be of help.

Does anyone know more about this device???

Please let us know!

P.S.
I do NOT have any financial ties to this device whatsoever! Just trying to be helpful!

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sizzled,

thank you; never heard of it,

but 1 of links above someone provided were ALL EXPENSIVE so perhaps 1 of them was what you were talking about...yOUR KINDLE.

[ 21. July 2008, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: bettyg ]

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hUH?
Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sizzled, i rephrased that ... hope it makes more sense.

in other words; 1 of links someone else showed MAY BE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT........

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 10 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh-kay! [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement