LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Doctor Changed HIs Mind

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doctor Changed HIs Mind
discdogger
Member # 16798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for discdogger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't know what to do now. My MD prescribed doxy for me to take 3 weeks ago and referred me to an ID doctor.

He wrote me a letter that I received yesterday stating that I do not have LD and for me to stop taking the doxy. He said that the doxy and treatment for lyme might be damaging to my health.

I still have an appt with my LLMD in Sept. I just don't know what to do. Here is a list of my sympotms all of these come and go:

migrating muscle pain
pain around joints and in joints
muscle twitching and jerking (usually at night)
bladder pain
sensitivity to light (usually at night)
headaches
back pain
heart palpitations
rib sensitivity
fatigue
breast pain
disturbed sleep
dizzinesses
Achilles' tendon stiff in mornings

Please tell me what you think. Now I think that I am going crazy. I have had 2 titers ran and both came back (-).

The thing I don't understand is neither had IgG or IgM listed. The last one I had ran was a serology.

None of my symptoms started till my doctor gave me dexamethasone July 15th. My symptoms have been going on for a little over 1 month.

I am starting to think that I am crazy or it could be something else.

Thanks for any comments.

[loco]

--------------------
We are their voice, Please spay and neuter!
Make adoption your first option!

Posts: 61 | From Alabama | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey disc...

Sounds like you've been given the infamous "NO Lyme" diagnosis by someone who actually believed a Lyme test result!

WOW! Is that a rare duck or what these days to try to pass that off?

Does he REALLY think his patients are THAT stupid?

OR...

Is he friends with the guy who sold Jack the Beanstalk beans?

What a DOPE!

Ka... raise...eeeeeee!!!

Now don't you fret about this display of their ignorance. It continues to happen all over the place... not just to you!

Just recently I read a medical article.

It was about a woman in NJ. She had a tick bite in an endemic area. Had the rash. Had a positive blood tests and multiple Lyme symptoms.

And they COULDN"T figure out what was wrong with her!!!

Duh and DOUBLE duh!!!

So YOU aren't the crazy one here... it is the white coats with IDSA stains on them that are!

BTW- I know a doctor who wondered if he had Lyme. He went to another doctor... cause he was in a BIG time endemic area.. had multiple tick bites... symptoms and a rash. His doc said it is probably Lyme.

He ran the cheap-o tests... famous for being wrong... and gave him the same 3 weeks of doxy you got to take... just in case.

A few days later the test came back negative... NO surprise there because he took it too soon to start with. So the doc called the other doc and said, "you don't have Lyme- stop taking the doxy."

That is when the Lymed doctor contacted me to find out what to do.

He kept taking the doxy... got tested at a good lab.. had very positive tests... and contacted his doctor to tell him.

His doc still refused to give him the proper amount of doxy... so he had to go to another doctor to get it.

So even doctors are getting wrong information. So sad!

Now here is the good part.

A LLMD isn't JUST a LLMD. They are regular doctors too! If it isn't Lyme.. they will know. Not everything is Lyme.. and they do consider and test for other explanations. None of them wants you to have Lyme.. so they are always looking in other directions to be sure you are ok.

So keep your appointment with the LLMD and let someone with some sense decide. Someone who knows both how to be a good doctor.. and a LLMD.

As for the ID duck. Might want to call your doctor's offfice and ask if the ID duck is seeing patients from jail.. or is he still out and about doing damage to the unsuspecting?

NO.. don't so that. But it is a thought to help relieve some of the frustration of seeing the horrible way people are treated. UGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!

Hang in there. It will get better. A LLMD will actually KNOW what they are doing.. not just have a medical degree and a head full of hot air.

[Big Grin]

PS.. I let you slide this time. But if you ever mention being crazy again.. I'll have to REALLY tease you about that one!

HA!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
discdogger
Member # 16798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for discdogger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Tincup. That makes me feel a lot better.

At least I know that I am not alone.

--------------------

Posts: 61 | From Alabama | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

You are not alone.

Hope you find help soon.

=================

http://tinyurl.com/2dmvs2

From the May 2007 issue of Clinical Advisor (home page: www.clinicaladvisor.com )

CONTROVERSY CONTINUES TO FUEL THE "LYME WAR"
By Virginia Savely, RN, FNP-C

As two medical societies battle over its diagnosis and treatment, Lyme disease remains a frequently missed illness. Here is how to spot and treat it.

Excerpts:

" . . .To treat Lyme disease for a comparable number of life cycles, treatment would need to last 30 weeks. . . ."

`` . . .Patients with Lyme disease almost always have negative results on standard blood screening tests and have no remarkable findings on physical exam, so they are frequently referred to mental-health professionals for evaluation.

"...If all cases were detected and treated in the early stages of Lyme disease, the debate over the diagnosis and treatment of late-stage disease would not be an issue, and devastating rheumatologic, neurologic, and cardiac complications could be avoided..."

. . . * Clinicians do not realize that the CDC has gone on record as saying the commercial Lyme tests are designed for epidemiologic rather than diagnostic purposes, and a diagnosis should be based on clinical presentation rather than serologic results.

- FULL ARTICLE AT LINK ABOVE.

Co-infections (other tick-borne infections or TBD - tick-borne disease) are not discussed in the Savely article due to space limits. Still, any LLMD you would see would know how to assess/treat if others are present.

=====================
=====================

`` . . . the immune system does not begin to repair itself until the beginning of the fourth month of antibiotic treatment. . . . ``

http://www.ilads.org/goldings.html

CONTROVERSIES IN NEUROBORRELIOSIS

Audrey Stein Goldings, M.D.

Updated October, 2002

excerpt:---

IV. WHAT'S WRONG WITH ``CURRENT GUIDELINES FOR TREATMENT'' OF NEUROBORRELIOSIS?

First, read the fine print.

- Full 2-page article at link above

==========================
==========================

AFTER reading the Savely and Goldings' articles (links above) this will make more sense and, sadly, shows the state of treatment:

www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/view.asp?a=2795&q=414284

Connecticut Attorney General's Office

Press Release

Attorney General's Investigation Reveals Flawed Lyme Disease Guideline Process, IDSA Agrees To Reassess Guidelines, Install Independent Arbiter

May 1, 2008

Attorney General Richard Blumenthal today announced that his antitrust investigation has uncovered serious flaws in the Infectious Diseases Society of America's (IDSA) process for writing its 2006 Lyme disease guidelines and the IDSA has agreed to reassess them with the assistance of an outside arbiter.

- cont'd at link.

Printable version: www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/view.asp?a=2795&q=414284&pp=12&n=1

===============
===============

TESTING

You should also be evaluated for coinfections. Not all tests are great in that regard, either, but a good LLMD can evaluate you and then guide you in testing. One of the top labs is:

www.igenex.com

IGENEX

-----

Fry Labs also is said to be good for certain tests.

===========

www.ilads.org

ILADS

The International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society (ILADS) provides a forum for health science professionals to share their wealth of knowledge regarding the management of Lyme and associated diseases.

- 2/3 down the page, you can download Guidelines for the management of Lyme disease

=====================
=====================

www.lymediseaseassociation.org

Lyme Disease Association

=====================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=029917

treepatrol's - Topic: Newbie Learning Help Links 5/21/08

=======

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=069262

Topic: BettyG's NEWBIE PACKAGE, 7.19.08, with TABLE OF CONTENTS FOR ALL!

======
======

Find your local SUPPORT GROUP for help in finding a doctor, etc.

www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/UnitedStates

======
======

Post in: SEEKING A DOCTOR

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=2

-

#######

-

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, hold great information about pharmaceutical and complementary treatments:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

=================================

http://tinyurl.com/5vnsjg

Healing Lyme: Natural Healing And Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis And Its Coinfections - by Stephen Harrod Buhner

www.gaianstudies.org/lyme-updates.htm

==================================

http://tinyurl.com/5drx94

Lyme Disease and Modern Chinese Medicine - by Dr. QingCai Zhang, MD & Yale Zhang

you can access his web site through www.hepapro.com or try www.sinomedresearch.org and use "clinic" and then "clinic" for the passwords or call Hepapro.

SPIRO Extract

www.rain-tree.com/spiro-extract.htm

A synergistic formula of 6 rainforest botanicals which are traditionally used in South America for syphilis (a type of spirochete bacteria) and other bacterial conditions.* This product was featured in an article by the Health Sciences Institute (see page 4).

Third-Party Published Research* - links to research articles

======================

http://tinyurl.com/5crsjv

Cure Unknown: Inside the Lyme Epidemic - by Pamela Weintraub

This details what an entire family went through. Having this knowledge of their journey will help others to get better, faster treatment.

http://tinyurl.com/653cum

Everything You Need to Know About Lyme Disease and Other Tick-Borne Disorders, 2nd Edition - by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner (2003)

You can search inside the book and read customer reviews.

======================

www.lymeinfo.net/index.html

WELCOME TO LYME INFO

---

www.lymeinfo.net/alt.html

LYME DISEASE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES

================================

poster's note: while few get well without attention to nutrition and supporting the liver and adrenals with specific supplements, anyone considering complementary approaches should be sure to have first read the abx protocol for a better grasp of the task at hand.

Basic, supportive herbs to "get the body stronger" are NEVER enough to get over lyme or coinfections. Very specific attention must be paid to the nature, life-span and forms of each tick-borne disease (TBD).

Each infection is treated differently and it is no minor undertaking. It is best to seek guidance with skilled professionals who are truly lyme and TBD literate. They will know, specifically, how to proceed.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi discdogger,

IF I were you....

I would continue taking the medication your doctor prescribed for you. I'd also keep my appointment with the LLMD.

Lyme denial is rampant in Alabama, but if you'll find the Lyme case counts for the state, you'll realize over 32% of counties are endemic for Lyme....about 10 counties are only one case from being endemic. ..and this figure is based on incomplete data from 1991 through 2006. Lyme counts were recorded starting in the 80's, but I havent' been able to get my hands on them yet. Remember, under-reporting is common.

Have you seen the Lyme disease abstracts about Lyme in Alabama? Here's the link:

http://members.tripod.com/~julianneSC/abstract.html

Here's the link to the Alabama statistics at the Lyme Memorial website:

http://www.lymememorial.org/State_Stats/State_Statistics_Alabama.htm

Click on "Reported Cases of Lyme by County".
Note that the case counts are not current.

2008 Alabama Vector Management Society
article: "Fighting Fleas and Ticks" mentions Lyme disease and coinfections, and deer ticks

http://www.alabamavms.org/flea&tick2.htm

Another Lyme in Alabama link....a 2006 newspaper article: Tick-borne Lyme disease stirs debate in South This link doesn't work, but can be found at:

http://lymeblog.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=661

Another thing, please be sure to get a copy of all your test results and the doctor's notes for your own medical file at home. This will start a paper trail that is essential.

Don't settle for a piece of paper that says, "Your test results were negative." Get the one with the name of the lab and get all pages of the report.

It the lab report form says "page 2 out of 3", be sure you also get pages 1 and 3 of the report. You need your complete test results. Your actual test results may surprise you.

Lyme disease is alive and well in Alabama. So are coinfections, such as bartonella, babesia, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, ehrlichia, and mycoplasma...there are probably more.

Also, the deer tick is endemic to Alabama. There's a CDC map with this information at:

tiny url: http://tinyurl.com/5zf37z

Dr. Mullen found the Lyme bacterium in many different hosts and tick species and tick life stages in Alabama back in the early 90's. Dr. Mullen is an entomologist at Auburn University who believes Lyme disease is endemic in this state based on the tick data alone.

AL Extention Service: Albama Ticks & Tick Control 1997 mentions Lyme disease & deer ticks facts

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1070/

Here's some outdated information published by AU in 1989, before the results were available from their Lyme study:

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/aaes/webpress/1989/lyme.htm

Disclaimer: Seek the opinion of a medical profession. Don't take my advice as medical opinion..it's only my opinion.

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polar blast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polar blast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please dont see an id doc they wont help you..get to an llmd and fast..you sound just like me when I had it acute many years ago..
Posts: 593 | From long island ny | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
discdogger
Member # 16798

Thanks for all the help!

--------------------

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have been given excellent advice. Please go see the LLMD. [Smile]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement