LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Taking a year off?????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Taking a year off?????
Draba
Member # 14589

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Draba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone.

I have been thinking of taking a year off from high school to get better. Last year was impossibly hard (I still have not Idea how I got through it), and although I am better and at independent study school, I am really burnt out and wavering between feeling OK and awful.

I had a meeting with the principal to discuss my options, and he told me that it would be illegal to take a year off for health.

I was just wondering what you all know about this. We agreed on some modifications that will make life easier for me, but it is still school.

So, basically, I am wondering if there is any way other than dropping out, to take time off for health.

Thanks,

Draba

--------------------
Really tired of being sick. Wanting to go to college and have a life. Really happy that I have a puppy.

Posts: 66 | From My room | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Draba,

I am so sorry that you are feeling so badly.

What do your parents think? Have you discussed this possiblity with them?

What does your doctor think about your situation?

Life can be difficult without being ill and is even harder when we are faced with the many challenges of this disease.

Please let us know more of the details. Do you have support there at home?

Hoping you have a better day.

Elizabeth

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThatColorGreen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThatColorGreen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sent you a private message

~Green~ [group hug]

--------------------
...trying to be the coffee bean, not the egg.

Posts: 420 | From East Coast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Weintraub
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam Weintraub   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son took a year off high school for health and for Lyme treatment. It was not a full year --but we ended up throwing out the entire year, which had been a waste --he was too sick to learn, and the school provided no dispensation --out for a test: zero! They were more open to letting him redo the year than they were to simply accommodating. That is what he did.

He took two semesters off of college for health, as well... and graduated in all two years after his original high school class, from Brown University.

I will always feel that taking the year off high school really saved him --high school was so hard it was impossible to do it and get better, too.

Good luck.

--------------------
Pam Weintraub
Cure Unknown
http://www.cureunknown.com

Posts: 66 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Draba
Member # 14589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Draba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the support everyone [Smile]

Everyone is asking, so I will add some more info:

I am in Junior year. My parents are very supportive, and the decision is up to me. The school is really great, and they are helping me as much as they can. Last year I felt just awful, and barely made it through the school year. I decided that I wouldn't let that happen again, and it is.

Right now, Every decision I make about my health is in some way modified for school. I need caffeine daily to function, I have to push my shots back to every 9 days or so, instead of once a week.

After last year, I am just kind of tired of doing school work when I really cant.

However, I would rather not graduate a year later...

And, as far as grades are concerned, I'm doing OK. My first year I got nothing below a B+ (except for the class that I got a B in because I couldn't write because of my lyme).

Sophmore year, I got B's and B-'s, and this year, I'm getting a few A-'s, and B+'s although we aren't far enough along to see how they will turn out.

OK. That is probably way to much info [Smile]

--------------------
Really tired of being sick. Wanting to go to college and have a life. Really happy that I have a puppy.

Posts: 66 | From My room | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement