LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Giving blood today - Igenex question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Giving blood today - Igenex question
peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks,

I'm new here, and the more I do research, the more confused I am. I am on a tight budget (like all of us who don't have the energy or strength to work much) and I don't want to have the Western Blot Igenex test if it rarely shows anything in untreated cases. Best I can remember the bite was in Fall of '85, which would be 23 years ago. I thought it was a spider bite and no one was talking about lyme's back then. Is it worth it to have the test or should I ask my DR for another idea?

Thanks,
Jeanne

Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your subject line threw me for a loop!!!! For SURE, do not ever donate blood if there's a possibility you could have Lyme.

MOST labs that test for lyme with Western Blots are not sensitive enough and they often come back neg.

BUT.... Send your blood work to Igenex (where they test for ALL possible bands) and you will find out what you NEED to find out.

Order test #188 and 189 .. around $200 .. Then you'll know.

Come back here (to Medical Questions) and we'll help you interpret the test.

www.igenex.com

Order the kit for free... then take it to your GP or local lab and get the blood drawn. Do it early in the week so the blood does not sit around in the post office over the weekend.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I just got tested for Lyme and co from IGENEX. I'd been sick for over 12 years and I came back Igm positive and IFA borderline. I've never been treated. So yes, you can get a positive even if you've never been treated. There are others here who were sick longer than me (around the time you've been sick) who also got a positive.

However if you test negative, it doesn't mean that you don't have it. A good LLMD will treat you based on a clinical diagnoses, and later if you want to retest again, you may test positive after some treatment.

Take care!
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way Lymetutu,

I'm so glad that I've never donated. I got sick right before my senior year in highschool and the red cross came to school later that year. I was so sick (but had been told I had 'mono' like 8 months before and was supposedly 'well' now, I had tons of neuro symptoms, severe depression), and my friends were all donating.

They talked me into it, I didn't care either way, I was too sick to care. Thank the Lord they took my temp and of course I had a fever so I could not donate. I had a fever almost constantly that year.

Anyhow, you are right and glad you brought up that point!!

take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

I was sick for 15-18 years untreated and undiagnosed.

Was tested by Igenex in Aug. 2007 and came up CDC pos. IgM. I showed 9 bands positive, several were ++ or +++. All were Bb specific.

So, yes, you can go all of those years and still come up positive. Lyme is a chronic infection and you can show positive antibodies after many, many, years.

Best of luck to you,
Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gusgus260
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gusgus260     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be a regular bolld donor.Then I got Lyme. I will never give blood again.
Posts: 175 | From Venice, FL USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melodymaker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melodymaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had misdiagnosed Lyme since 1983.

Blood tests for Lyme came back negative this summer. LLMD had said tests would probably be negative due to antibiotic use through the years.

Dr. is treating me based on history, and I just started treatment two months ago. (Thank God)

It's important you are seeing a LLMD for proper diagnosis and treatment. There are great resources on this site!!

Praying for your health and happiness.

--------------------
Wishing You Showers Of Blessings!
Lyme since Fall 1983 = Diagnosed Summer 2008
IV Rocephin 7 weeks Stopped due to drug fever
Now doxycycline
"For I know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 430 | From Sunny South | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If money is tight, maybe wait till Monday.

That way you can be assured your blood sample makes it to Ca.

Doesn't sit over the weekend. [shake]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ocean.... I've had Lyme probably 50 yrs. I gave blood once about 25 yrs ago. They screwed up a nerve in my arm [the needle was VERY large and I'm tiny].....

So as a result, I never gave blood again. Never allowed anyone to draw blood there for about 15 yrs. The nerve still bothered me a long time.

It saved a lot of people from getting Lymed by my blood!!! Happy mistake !

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement