LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » FAREWELL to BUTTHEAD, I don't THINK so (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: FAREWELL to BUTTHEAD, I don't THINK so
deerose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deerose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a kids my sister rescued a mouse form a science project.
That mouse escaped and kille dour gerbils. Yes it did.

Still outside I see them with their quivering ears and I confess a soft spot. In moments.

Now grown up: had four cats.

Came home to few of those boys cornering a mouse
in the living room.
The autumn irruption.

Suddenly the mouse broke and ran with all cats in full pursuit.
None of these boys were lazy.

Fat but not lazy.

The senior cat mama taught each cat when they arrived how to catch a mouse and then after that she had nothing to do with the rest of the cats.

She was after all a catperson.

Well scrambling over and under each other those boys chased that mouse into my tiny corner office.

Nowhere to run, no time to hide...

Mouse surfed full speed around the baseboard and

dashed up inside my pantsleg lickety split.

I tore off my pants in a blur of warp speed horror.

Mouse fell off my bare naked thigh into the wastecan.

For one brief moment-- eyelock -- lid ON.

Someone got a show.

Like Txcoord said... fun times through the windows preinternet...

Tick tubing is good...

well after sticking aluminim foil and brillo in every crack and cranny...

and well after bleaching calling cards off the high shelves...

But a good mousing cat will win every time.
Trophy heads prove it.

Bless the mama-cat...

--------------------
Not everything in life that can be counted counts and not every thing that counts can be counted...Albert Einstein

Posts: 208 | From Northeast | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my goodness, dee, I do believe I would have died a thousand deaths!

You are a brave cat lover indeed!

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One time when I was teaching elementary school, we had mice in cages in our classrooms. We were going to do some food experiments or something. All of our classrooms were connected.. an open area school.

Each classroom had two mice in one of those wire type cages. (like a jail cell)

One morning I checked on our mice before going to a faculty meeting. There were 3 mice in our cage!!!! (I swear!)

When I came back later, there were only TWO!! We finally decided that a mouse from the school bldg got INTO our cage to eat the food!!! [lol]

------------

Later, we sent the mice home with kids who wanted them as pets. The NEXT DAY one of them told us the mouse had NINE babies the night before!!!

I'll bet that went over really well with "Mom!!" We didn't even know the mouse was pregnant!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same thing happened with our tame rats, Lymetoo - suddenly there would be litters and we didn't even know beforehand -

oh my gosh, deerose - you really lived the pantsleg experience - I busted up reading your account!

and salutations to 15hens...

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Hi Robin!! Nice to see you!! But I think you're on the wrong thread...

S-A-L-U-T-A-T-I-O-N-S should be on a spider thread, not a mouse thread [Smile]

Right, school marm Tutu?

Dee, you really do get the brave chick of the year award, in my book anyway!!

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well get off your camos and get thee to the shelter and adopt a fuzzy little kitty....

name it devil dog or ooh rah, or semper or something like carlos

and teach it to kill....

just a thought....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um silly you Tincup,,,,Mountain dew wont work cause it doesnt fizz

drop a can or bottle of Dew and open it,,,little fiz,,,,now try same thing with coke or pepsi,,,lucky to have half left in container after it floods your lap

Break down and buy the 'cheap generic brands if you wish,,but blow them to Pluto.

Defense is best offense in mouseproofing. If your foundation is porous you could backplaster it,,or surwall it. That cuts down on bugs snakes and mice

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 17hens:
[QB] Hey, Hi Robin!! Nice to see you!! But I think you're on the wrong thread...

Right, school marm Tutu?

YOU are correct, 15 hens!!! [lol]

-
(don't step on my last nerve, though!)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by just don:
Um silly you Tincup,,,,Mountain dew wont work cause it doesnt fizz

I learn something new everyday!! [Cool]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hey, Hi Robin!! Nice to see you!! But I think you're on the wrong thread...

Haha - so we have Earl, AND Charlotte here??

Alright - you REALLY want me to say hello to 15 hens another way?

Ok - here goes. Now repeat after me:

Cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck
cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel for you guys with the mice. Years ago I built a cabin with my husband near the wilderness and as usual with an alcoholic it was never finished so there were gapping holes for the field mice to crawl through.

These were ugly mice with huge heads and bulging eyes and they just made themselves at home like we were elk or deer. I had a Westie terrier and he was a great mouse killer but of course he could never catch them all. To his last days on earth if I screamed he would jump into action racing around the room searching for the mice.

When the snow was deep Westie did not want to go outside to go to the bathroom. So I learned if I opened the door and screamed "MOUSE" he would leap out, buried instantly.

Between the cluster flies that littered the floors by the thousands and the mice, I never missed that place. I thought at times I would just go crazy. Perhaps it was good preparation for this disease.

We have cats now and they do a great job of killing mice. They like to leave me their favorite parts on the front porch; presents for me. One day Oscar was trying to enter the house with one of his kills. I screamed and chased him off. He came back waitng patiently to be let in, unknown to me he had hidden the dead mouse behind him. When I opened the door, he quickly turned around snatched the dead mouse and tried to jump through the door which was promptly slammed in his face.

There are hawks who spend much of their days sitting at the tops of trees watching for a mouse to scurry out of it hole. I have seen the fox dive nose first into the snow catching a mouse in a tripod of feet and nose, flip it into a spin in the air and swallow it hole on it's way down. Hurray!

So I feel for you and enjoy your victories. I have pigeons in the barn now which some people refer to as "flying rats". They multiply like crazy, starting nests mid winter. The poop piles up where ever they roost and it is nasty.

I felt bad about killing them the first few years so we caught them at night. Threw a ball high into the rafters where they were roosting and they fell to the ground - did not fly because they could not see.

We used flashlights to find them and put them into bags. Then drove them far far away. Next day they were all back.

So now it is the pellet gun.

I love nature but not when it moves in.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Nefferdun,

I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard as when I read about poor Westie diving into the snow when you screamed, "MOUSE"!!!!!!

How funny is that!!!!!

He must have been swearing under the snow pile when he realized you'd tricked him once again!!

[lol] [lol] [lol]

----------------------------------

TC,

My house mouse, my very own Butthead (or close relative), that raced across my kitchen in full view, is now living in MY BEDROOM!!!!

[Eek!] [Eek!]

He woke us up last night!!!

I thought it was my husband coming back from the bathroom - that's how loud this little mouse is!!

And we've had 2 snap traps and one box trap, all rigged with smoked cheese and peanutbutter, set for 2 days.

Nothing is working! [dizzy] [rant] [shake]

Help me, Tincup!!! I'm sharing my bedroom with a monster!!!

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

july
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for july     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there! Didn't get time to read the whole 2 pages but I have heard this from several people. Mice do NOT like bounce fabric sheets. Many people use these when storing cars, campers, etc. for storage.

I always put a sheet of bounce in the totes I store away, also will put a sheet in dresser drawers, under couch cushions, lay a few around the house (under entertainment center, beds, closets, basement, even some in the garage). I always use them in the dryer and have heard of people even attaching them to there heat ducts.

I have a really old house, lots of cracks and gaps. Alot of people swear by it, and I have found that it really does help, but it HAS to be Bounce not any off brand dryer sheets.

Posts: 111 | From northeast Iowa | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you got a laugh 17hens. Westie forgave me every time. He wasn't the brightest crayon in the box. He never caught a mouse that I know of but our other dogs did.

One day our husky mix was busy digging and came up for air with a mouse attached to his nose, biting him. The dog was looking cross eyed at the mouse who was looking wild eyed back at dog. The mouse was flipped into the air and gobbled up on the way down.

I wonder if Bounce will work on pigeons!? I could TP the barn with bounce streamers.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

That WAS funny! Thanks for the laugh and the visual!! [lol]

Yep... stream the barn with Bounce!! [Big Grin]

I know the smell runs ME off! Only unscented sheets are allowed in this house!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

17hens
Member # 23747

Hey, July, if these Bounce dryer sheets work, you will be my bestest HERO!!!

I'll try them right now as the monster is still on the prowl, waking us up every night as he marches across our bedroom floor.

Wanna know a sure fire way to stop getting up to pee in the middle of the night? Let a mouse loose in the room. Works wonders...

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

17hens
Member # 23747

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He actually ran around the living room last evening while my son and husband were watching TV and the dog and FAT DUMB CAT were sleeping!!!

The nerve!!!

We now have 6 mouse traps, all different varieties, and nothing is working!!!!!!!!!

I'm exhausted as I go to bed around 11 and the MONSTER wakes me up every morning between 5-6AM!

I lay there waiting for him to jump on my bed!!

We must have a mouse army around here by now.

We've never encountered such a daring and picky mouse - what mouse doesn't like peanut butter and cheese? We even tried smoked Gouda - nope!

Anyone have a snake we could borrow?

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

17hens
Member # 23747

YEAH, WE CAUGHT THE MONSTER MOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With 8 mouse traps and bait of smoked Gouda, peanutbutter, bananas, apple, grapes and havarti cheese, we finally caught the little guy!

In the middle of the night, in our bedroom (couldn't have been with the living room or kitchen traps) and he cried and scratched and cried (poor little guy).

He made such a racket, my husband had to take him outside at 3 in the morning in his underwear. (DH in underwear, not mouse).

Wow, I was so excited that we caught him, it took me a long time to go back to sleep. And I got up 2 times after that to pee, almost like my body was celebrating new found freedom in walking around the bed w/out the fear of stepping on a mouse!

Thanks, everyone, for your advice and moral support!

[woohoo] [woohoo] [woohoo]

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

17hens
Member # 23747

Robin,

You said,
"Cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck
cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck"

Thanks for counting! (I hadn't noticed before!)

Tweet, tweet, tweet to you! [hi]

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why oh why did I open this thread!!!!!!!!!! I am still suffering from PTSD from a year ago when I had mice running around my apt.

Caught seven of them. I keep a very clean orderly apt, but they were getting in through my coat closet. They were showing up at dinner time. The bldg was next to a field and they were looking for shelter I guess.

I have moved since then, but I seriously still see them in my peripheral vision sometimes. Glad you caught yours 17hens. I can't even stand to look at squirrels now. Oh why, oh why did I open this thread. [bonk] [Roll Eyes] [shake]

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

quote:
YEAH, WE CAUGHT THE MONSTER MOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He made such a racket, my husband had to take him outside at 3 in the morning in his underwear. (DH in underwear, not mouse).

15hens, congratulations - wasn't it Groucho Marx who said he shot an elephant in his underwear - what he was doing in my underwear, I'll never know?

very good - I get three tweets -

gael, you may have opened this thread to celebrate 15hens' newfound freedom

or to let us know something about parasites in mice

or just how you cooked the mice - you said they showed up at dinnertime?

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several weeks ago, our cat Lady brought a mouse in and then dropped it, and couldn't find it.

Mr. Mousie has been living behind the stove and fridge, and dining on cat food.

Two nights ago I found him (the mouse) dancing on the countertop, and husband set traps.

Last night when I came downstairs, he told me that Axel, our six month old kitten, had caught the mouse.
Yayy!

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Good kitty...

Today's rodent story, coming to you live from ABC7 TV news -

Andy's Pet Shop in San Jose has just received 1000 rats transported in 150 cages via truck from a house in Los Angeles. Apparently the house got a bit overrun with all the rats, and they and the house got rescued.

The rats have been separated by gender (good luck with that) and are in quarantine for two weeks. After that, they will be adopted out in the south bay area.

The last thing I heard ABC7 news say about this story is that these are "happy rats", as they will be getting nice homes.

I think they should run some contests on the news and whoever wins gets a free rat.

17hens
Member # 23747

Oh my goodness, you couldn't pay me a million dollars...

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Robin123
Member # 9197

Can you believe Butthead turned 100?!
s0ngbird1962
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for s0ngbird1962     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally enjoyed this....

Gotta tell ya though... My 8 yr old found a baby field mouse almost dead on the sidewalk a few weeks ago. Only realized it was alive when he poked it with a stick & it squeaked.

Hubby went out, I thought he'd push it under a bush.... Nope, he brought it in.

Baby mouse didn't even have it's eyes open... my cat most likely ate it's mother. Hubby fed the mouse every 3 hours with puppy formula.

Well, this mouse is totally tame & thinks hubby is his momma. Kids have named him "Lucky" & he lives in a two story cage now. He sleeps in their hands & likes to be patted & scratched behind his ears like a dog.

Kids called him Lucky because they found/saved him, I say he's "Lucky" if our cat doesn't eat him too.

To be continued....

--------------------
Mom to a 5 year old lymie....
Taking it one day at a time.

Posts: 182 | From Ipswich, MA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

sOngbird, you should adopt a happy rat (Robin's post from 11/22) so Lucky will have a friend! [loco]

Let me know where you live so I'll be sure never to visit!! [lol]

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Glad you got him, 17 hens!

As for adopting RATS. No way in ____. Like I said above, I've had mice in cages AT SCHOOL .. but at home.. nope!

However, it's all semantics because I used to take our classroom gerbils or hamsters home if no child was available to take them over the weekend!

The gerbils were a bit too "ratty" for me! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15birds said.. "Help me, Tincup!!! I'm sharing my bedroom with a monster!!!"

Good thing this site is "G" rated and not "X" rated! HA!

And what, Missy, is it that makes you think I would be good dealing with monsters in the bedroom?

[lol]

But it is great to know you FINALLY got the monster!

Just be watching out for any relatives! Funny how they can pop up out of nowhere.

You know, you ALL are telling funny stories or putting educational information here... and it is appreciated!

BUT...

I have a new problem. So far the mice are behaving and staying outside.... however...

Every night, just after dark... my parrot starts making noises that are really quite loud!

That usually wouldn't be a problem, but my parrot is not real. He thinks he is, but it's just his imagination.

My parrot is a big colorful bird made of some man made material and it sits on a large perch hanging from the ceiling. It was a Christmas present a few years ago.

Sooooooooooo... why, if it isn't real, is it making these loud chirping noises?

Any guesses?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Oh no, here comes parrothead... [Roll Eyes]

Some of us have tinnitus. Apparently, you have parrotitis... [Razz]

17hens
Member # 23747

Tape his beak shut and see what happens?

Stop feeding him?

Throw him outside?

Pluck all his feathers out?

REMOVE HIS BATTERY???

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yes, DO remove his battery!!

I guess he's making noises because you love Jimmy Buffet so much!
(that didn't make any sense, really .. but you can laugh at me for being stupid!) [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA! It turns out there were spring frogs behind the kitchen counter. They hopped a free ride indoors with my plants I guess.

But it was fun thinking the parrot was talking to me!

[Big Grin]

NOW.. hunting season (shotgun-deer) just ended. I didn't do quite as well as the hunters, but I almost did.

Yep... the next generations of buttheads and their families tried to scoot on in undetected when the weather went from ok to frozen over night.

I almost felt sorry for them it got so stinking cold so fast.

BUT... as is the tradition round here, the traps went out once again.

Of course my kills aren't in the freezer waiting to be eaten by us... they were donated to the local eagles, hawks and buzzards who wait for their lovely treats this time of year.

So the fight begins. The score to date...

TC- 3

Mice-O

Fingers caught in trap- 0

Jumps when the trap snaps accidently while in my hand- 5

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Well, none of us got that right - frog ventriloquists...
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]
Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement