LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » anybody want to just ignore the holidays??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anybody want to just ignore the holidays??
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ya'll know that i lost mom in may and well, my sisters too.

i just don't want to even do thanksgiving so we're going out to a buffet. i may make a small turkey breast and pie but nothing big.

and as for christmas, arghh, perish the thought. i don't even want to put up a tree but mike says we should. he feels mom would not want me to be acting this way, but i can't help it.

i've started practically crying every day. i think "well till i tell mom about this". cause ya'll know that i called her every single day long distance, i mean, every day.

i'm just thinking about asking for antidepressants but i don't know if you can call this depression can you? i mean do peole go on those after a loss?

i just want to go away for a long time and come back after the holidays.....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Randi,

I am so sorry for your loss.

I think an anti-depressant may help.

Sending you positive thoughts and prayers.

I know your Mom is around you.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Randibear,

Sorry you are having such a hard time . I know it can be very painful. It took me about a year to get over my mother.

Grieving is of course a natural process that we have to go thru. Someone once told me that when someone passes on it is hard for them to move on because they see us in so much pain.

The thought of my mother hurting because I was grieving helped me to let go sooner so she wouldn't suffer and so she could move on.

I know she wanted me to focus on only the happy times. Just remember we do see them again.

Try and enjoy your holiday if you can. I am sure your husband would appreciate it.

Take Care,
Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to just just 'fast forward' to January!! We're going out to eat on Thanksgiving too.

My llmd wouldn't give me antidepressants two years ago when my mom passed away. He said it was important to go through all the steps of greiving.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry Randi, I don't have any advice for you, but will pray for you.

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz D
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thought of Christmas - and all the trappings of shopping, cooking etc now fill me with dismay, and even more so knowing I cant get half swacked on wine as I tend the bloody turkey. Will the Christmas spirit not visit me this year? Will my attitude improve? Will I not be snarky and short tempered? All I can say it wake me up when its over !
Liz D.

Posts: 234 | From BC Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ajisuun
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I have exactly ignored Christmas the last

few years, I have taken the outward celebration

down to almost nothing. I stopped putting up a

Christmas tree because I was afraid that it would

because a permanent part of my decor. Even if I

had the energy to put it up, I figured that with

the post-Christmas crash it might be July before I

took it down. I am single, so it doesn't directly

affect anyone but me. My African friends missed

seeing it when they came to visit (and ask for

their "Christmas"), but it's not a necessary part

of Christmas. One year I didn't do anything

except get together with the other missionaries on

Christmas day and have a small celebration with

the African believers on Christmas Eve. That may

have been the year that I didn't get any packages

from family until January. Low key was taken to a

new level that year.

This year--I know I'm not putting up a tree. I

already bought some gifts for my African friends,

but I don't really know what else I'll do.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ajisuun
Unregistered

While I have exactly ignored Christmas the last

few years, I have taken the outward celebration

down to almost nothing. I stopped putting up a

Christmas tree because I was afraid that it would

because a permanent part of my decor. Even if I

had the energy to put it up, I figured that with

the post-Christmas crash it might be July before I

took it down. I am single, so it doesn't directly

affect anyone but me. My African friends missed

seeing it when they came to visit (and ask for

their "Christmas"), but it's not a necessary part

of Christmas. One year I didn't do anything

except get together with the other missionaries on

Christmas day and have a small celebration with

the African believers on Christmas Eve. That may

have been the year that I didn't get any packages

from family until January. Low key was taken to a

new level that year.

This year--I know I'm not putting up a tree. I

already bought some gifts for my African friends,

but I don't really know what else I'll do.

astriapage
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astriapage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know its hard to get together with a bunch of people that dont understand your illness.

Or dont believe you are sick-I thing i will just stay home by myself.

You know family really sucks sometime-you think they would believe me with the open heart surgery and all!

Posts: 303 | From Jekyll Island, GA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been looking for a hole to crawl into to hide from the holiday season... If anyone knows of one, let me know!!!

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
move over, cause that hole is going to have to be gettin bigger.....

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1Bitten2XShy
Unregistered

Joining in the hole...squeezing in.

Dec. 2nd will be 2 years since our son was killed. There are no trees, lights or gifts again this year. Just can't seem to do it.

On the bright side, I have no pine needles and do not have to fight crowds!

desertcanyon
Member # 17998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertcanyon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear and 1Bitten2XShy, I'm so sorry for your losses. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it must be (and for anyone else who has lost someone very close to them.)

I took the pressure off myself about holidays several years ago. I only do what I really want to do.

Last year, on Christmas Day, I didn't go anywhere, didn't see anyone, just lounged around and rested and watched movies.

It did help that different family members were going to different locations, so there wasn't any big external pressure, but even if there had been, I think it's okay to check out.

And I found that it's more effective to say "I don't want to" rather than "I can't" because when you say "I can't", people can come up with a million reasons why you can (and "should").

But when you say, "I don't want to, okay? Can you be just be okay with that, even if you can't understand it?" That usually puts an end to any objections.

Good luck! I pray that your families and friends are supportive of whatever you decide.

--------------------
Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood, as to understand; to be loved, as to love

Posts: 61 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz D
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
squeezing the hole - move over all !! who's next??
Posts: 234 | From BC Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me, I'm jumpin' in!!!

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what holidays?
Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would be a good idea for you to see your doctor about anti-depressants.

It's hard to lose your parents. My mom & dad died during the this Lyme journey. My mom died on December 13, 2002 and we still had our family celebration. I know my parents would have wanted us to that.

Peggy

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Randibear, my thoughts and prayers go out to you. I pray that God will comfort you and bless you in this difficult time.

I doubt your mom would care whether you put up a tree or cooked a fancy dinner. She would just want to see you happy. If that means going out to dinner with you husband than that's what you should do.

This is your first holiday season without your mother and sisters so I think that it would be abnormal if you didn't grieve for your loss. That doesn't mean that you are depressed.

Instead of focusing on your loss try to think of your blessings. Thank God for the memories and the time that you had with your family. Thank God for your loving husband that stands by your side even during the toughest of times. Thank God for your friends (us!). Thank God for providing for your basic needs like food and shelter. Thank God is it is sunny outside. Thank God for another day of life.

It would be easier if we could just ignore the holidays or run away. But I don't think that it would work even if we try it. Best we can do is to be grateful for what we have and try to remember the real reason for the holiday not just the expectations placed on us by society (trees, gifts, parties, etc).

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello <<<<< Randibear and All Those who Are Grieving, and Lymer family >>>>>>,

Having lost my Mother May 10th this year I can relate. I miss her so very much...my heart aches.

I am torn between hiding away somewhere,and starting to decorate this minute...because I wont get anything done if I don't.

Our Christnmas tree [ a fake tree ] was up until we moved it in August [Embarrassed] . I never got it al put away. Now it is in the front closet waiting...

Don't know tho' what I'll do yet. Gotta get over the respritory bug... It's made me spaced cadet material.

I tried to throw out the dryer lint a bit ago,and opened the cupboard where the garbage basket it,,,stuck my hand in and everything...but the lint wad was still sitting on the dryer... and I haven't even had my evening meds yet.

Oh but I can see it now...waht did I do w/ the dryer lint? And then TxC' looking at me all puzzled... 'Honey Bear...waht are those strange wads of stuff on the Christmas tree???'.

Better hold off on the decorating for a bit longer I guess...

Jus' Silverwolf thinkin'

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bebfire
Member # 18096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bebfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Randi,
I am so sorry for your loss. It is so difficult to lose a parent no matter how old you are! What happened to your sisters?

My mom & dad died exactly 6 weeks apart from each other about 6 weeks before thanksgiving. There was horrible fighting between my brother and two sisters and me. We were all hurting and looking for something to yell at so we chose eachother. My brother was the most hurtful to the girls. We are all fine now.

When the holidays came, we always had so much expectation. Mom put the "thanks" in thanksgiving and the "C" in Christmas. Like you, I talked with my mom every day on the phone as she was in Michigan and me here in San Diego.

A friend suggested getting two candles, one to represent each parent, and light it everday during the Holiday season, to remind me of their light and love while they were here on earth.

I still do that during the holidays as it is a comfort to me.

I think it's a WONDERFUL IDEA [Smile] to go out for dinner on thanksgiving! Take the stress off youself. Why add to you grieving with more greif?!

I pray that you have a wonderful holiday season...ONE HOLIDAY AT A TIME, PLEASE!

--------------------
The Lord is my strength and my song

CDC/Igenex- Positive
IGG 31+/- 34+/- 41++
IGM 23-25+++ 31+ 34+/- 39+/- 41+

Posts: 50 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toby67
Unregistered

so sorry... i'm with you though... i also lost my dad this year, and my kids will be spending this one with their dad - my first ever without them.

if it helps at all, i keep telling myself it's just a day, just a thursday...

it will come and go and no matter what, friday will follow... good luck, hugs and prayers!!!

tickedoffjan
Member # 15944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedoffjan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi, I am so sorry for your loss and I know that these holidays are going to be hard, well, even harder than usual.

I am with you guys - make that hole bigger because I want to jump in there as well. My DH's family doesn't believe in lyme. Or, at least, in chronic lyme.

Every holiday I am sick at least now I know that I have lyme and that the stress of the holiday season doesn't do me any favors. But at least I use to be able to stand his "loving" sister because wine has miraculous powers that made her somewhat bearable.

Well now that I am on tindamax those days of wine are gone. How in the world can I put up the wicked witch of the south if I don't have wine? Ha! I am whining about the lack of wine.

Jan

Posts: 90 | From Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is extremely hard to go around family who don't believe you're sick

my family is extremely self absorbant. not only do they not believe i'm ill (they say i have too much time on my hands, am a hypercondriac, etc, etc) but the fact i've been extremely lacking in money the past years (with this year the absolute worst), they don't care or want to know

i can't even bring up my lyme. they change the subject, roll their eyes, leave the room, bluntly tell me they don't want to hear me complain, etc. now i don't say a word about how i feel or how i'm doing or anything. and they never ask

the selfishness of my family is just amazing. for example: $25 is alot to me these days. i spent that on my neice for her bday and when my son's bday came along my sister got my son nothing - not even a card, even though she is the one who made the rule we would spent $25 on each kid for bdays/christmas (and I have told her several times over the past 3 yrs that $25 is too expensive for me). my sister has absolutely no money troubles and was able to spend $500 on my neices bday party, whereas i couldn't afford to have a bday party for my son this year or last year and that $25 i spent on my neice would have been a second bday gift i could have gotten my son. it wouldn't be a big deal if i wasn't so lacking in money that the $25 would have made a difference for my son

now christmas is coming up and i'm expected to spend $25 i don't have on my neice again and who knows if my sister will get my son anything in return. i'm tempted to not buy anything and use it to buy my son a power ranger instead. but then my sister and father will think it was horrible of me not to buy my neice something, which is ridiculous because it's ok for my sister to treat my family that way but i'm not allowed to

it is so hard going to her house and seeing all the presents that my neice has gotten at christmas between her parents and my sister's inlaws (who are extremely wealthy) for me who can't provide that kind of christmas to my son and it's hard for my 6 yr old to see how much his cousin gets when he's lucky to get a present or two. hell, it's sometimes hard for me to hear about the $2000 cash my sister got from her inlaws and the new $2500 fridge and the diamond earrings they gave her and the vacation they are going to send them on, and the $3000 swing set etc, etc for christmas per the inlaws. lol. so i'm sure it's hard for a 6 yr old to deal with

my sister wants me to get the ham for thanksgiving dinner. not only do i not have the money but i could be standing an hour in line. an hour in line standing is just too long for me... my family just doesn't understand, they don't want to and they just don't care. my illness has fallen on deaf ears for years now. and now my financial situation has taken the same route

it's just hard when family doesn't care about you or your child

i'm ready for january

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz D
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16739

Happy thanksgiving to our American neighbours ! Have officially retired from the Christmas season. Last night was an office 'do' and one of the girls was prattling on about Lyme, how good and healthy I look, could it not just be aging ( I am 54), how it could be menopause, how could I prove its lyme, and to the assembled company "Liz looks really good doesnt she?".
I quit the season and am grumpy with it.

randibear
Member # 11290

well no call from my family and i wasn't expecting any.

jill, hon, i totally understand. my stepkids are the same way....his daughter is the pits....

i wish there was a way for you to go somewhere or something to get away from them....

sounds like they have wayyy too much money and not enough compassion. yep, 25 is alot of money these days...i watch every penny.

i feel for you and wish i could help....

hubs is getting ss in march and now says he's going to send some of it to help his money who is a raving _itch....we never sent my mom a bloody dime even tho she could have used it...so i'm pretty angry about this right now.

family is the pits, absolute pits sometimes....

--------------------

Radha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
holidays are just like any other ordinary day,

they were special and a big deal when i was young

but not since i have gotten so much worse, even

birthdays are just too depressing, just a

reminder of all i have missed and all i continue

to miss and how another year of this hell has

gone by and i have only gotten worse, sorry to

sound so depressing! i know we are supposed to

focus on our blessings but for those of us who

are so so so disabled and sick everyday and

cannot even leave our homes, then the negative

tends to totally block any positive, but still i

try hard to focus on the love and support of my

parents, thats all i have, my reason for still

living,

Radha

Posts: 392 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement