LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Atleast it wasn't cancer....looking on the bright side

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Atleast it wasn't cancer....looking on the bright side
I Am Blessed
Member # 18346

Icon 7 posted      Profile for I Am Blessed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought as a new member and someone who just learned in the last 30 days that I have had Lyme for over 3 years, that I would share a little something with you. I have only made 4 close friends my whole life. Ten years ago, I lost one of those very dear friends to breast cancer. She was only in her early 40's. A year and a half later, I lost a second close friend to breast cancer. She was in her early 50's. Less than a year later, I found out that a third friend of mine also had breast cancer. Shortly after that, I found a lump in my right breast. In 2003 I had surgery to remove it, and was told that my lumpectomy was free of cancer. Although I was relieved that it was not cancer, I was confused. I thought I had found the reason for all the symptoms I had. I was sure it had to be cancer. Back to the doctor I went. I was told I had Hep B. Lovely. I blamed my husband. Thought he cheated. Then I blamed the blood transfusion I had when my daughter was born by C-section back in 1987. In October of this year, I found another lump. It grew in the same spot the last one was removed. I was sure it was cancer and that they missed it the first time and that it grew back. I thought the time had finally come and I was going to hear those dreadful words. My lumpectomy was .....free of cancer. Back to the doctor again. More blood tests, etc. A week before Thanksgiving, my doctor called. I was told that I tested positive for Lyme. A second test proved this to be a fact. Well, now I had my answer. I freaked. I bawled. I cried for days. On Thanksgiving day of this year I spoke with the husband of my third friend who was diagnosed with cancer back in 2001. They were supposed to go to their newly married daughter's first Thanksgiving dinner. She was too ill to go. Too tired she said. Her husband carried her up to bed. She slept all day. She slept most of the next day as well. Then, at 5:30 a.m. two days after Thanksgiving, my friend Sue died of breast cancer. Am I upset that I have Lyme? Nah. I have been Blessed. Life won't be a bowl of cherries for me I am sure. I have some really bad days. But given what I have seen my 3 friends go through, I'll take the Lyme, thank you. As for my 4th friend......she has had M.S. since we were 15. She is in pain all the time, can't keep her balance and needs a walker now. She is only 51. Yes, I am blessed. Just thought I would share. Thanks for listening.
Posts: 2 | From Ocala Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you now know why you are sick but I'm sorry that you had to watch some dear friends die of cancer.
Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymephobic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymephobic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you whole heartedly I am Blessed. WHen I was diagnosed I lost it completely.

Do I feel pretty horrible most days, sure. But I am still working, taking care of my children and getting treatment from a great LLMD.

Does having Lyme stink? Of course, but I have said this to my husband many times..."At least it is not Cancer"

I am thankful that I have a great doctor, supportive family and friends, a boss who lets me take off if I need to because of a "Bad day" and for Lymenet, without which I may not have found my doc, or had gotten wonderful advice and information.

Posts: 193 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is the one thing i've gain through this disease is perspective(well most non-herx days. There are amny worse things ...yeh it sucks but we have a chance. a damn good one...

sorry about your friends...sucks...thats all you can say.

Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
designt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for designt1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my co-worker's wife has terminal cancer. They said anywhere from 3-5 years max. Tears me up when I think about her. They are the same age as my parents, and the co-worker has always been kinda dull, but she's always the one who adds life to the room when she's there.

She's not sad, at all, not one bit. Maybe it will happen sooner or later, but she just goes on saying to live one day at a time and make the best of it, no reason to get depressed and feel sorry all the time because that's not going to change a thing.

When I'm down because of the Lyme, I think of her and how strong she is and it helps me out a lot.

Posts: 123 | From Georgia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am Blessed
Member # 18346

Icon 7 posted      Profile for I Am Blessed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your kind replies. YEs, this site is wonderful to have. It is a welcome change for me to be able to talk to people who share my symptoms and understand what I go through on a daily basis. For example,today while I was trying to force my Lyme to take a 'backseat' in my day, I struggled with blurry vision and total exhaustion.The tops of my thighs hurt as if they were bruised. I had to take my pants off to check and see if there were any visible bruises! None. Didn't stop me from going to the store though. Two parson's chairs, a pretty floral vase and a set of 8 adorable yellow parfait mugs later, I called it quits and came home!
Posts: 2 | From Ocala Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Blessed,

Welcome to Lymenet!

I'm glad you've found an answer to your ongoing problems. At least now you know what to treat.

Be sure to find a Lyme literate medical doctor (LLMD). You'll have a greater likelihood of getting your health back if you do.

You've got a lot of studying to do now.

Also, it may benefit your friend to share the Lyme symptom list with her, and other Lyme information. It sounds like she needs evaluated for Lyme and coinfections also.

Dr. Burrascano's treatment guidelines contains much information. You may want to save a copy and print it out little by little.

ABe sure to read "Bells Palsy of the Gut" by Dr. VTS. She explains how this infection affects the different nerves in your body, leading to a multitude of different symptoms. It's long, but a great article.

http://www.thehumansideoflyme.net/viewarticle.php?aid=62

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blessings come in many forms.

You just have to be open to them.

I try to be grateful every day that I have Lyme.

I really thought I had a brain tumor.

It was the reason my husband, children, neighbors were all diagnosed.

My journey has helped so many others find an answer.

I do have days (especially when herxing)

That it is hard to find a blessing in this.

However, I continue to do so.

In so many ways.

So sorry about the loss of your friend.

Glad you have an answer for your illness.

May want to get your friend with MS tested for Lyme also.

One of the most common missed diagnosis of Lyme is MS.

Thanks for sharing and putting some perspective into our battle.

Life is always important.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement