LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Flexible Spending Accounts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flexible Spending Accounts
radfaraf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radfaraf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone tried using a Flexible Spending Account for paying for LLMD and antibiotic costs?

I'm trying to decide if I should put in the maximum amount per year into one, or might I run into problems with them calling the appointments and meds not necessary just like insurance does?

Posts: 526 | From NJ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soleil16
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soleil16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering the same thing. I would assume you can use the flex spending account, but I'm checking with the plan administrator to be sure. But they do cover cold medicine, tylenol, etc usually, so I don't see how this would be any different since it's still medical treatment.
Posts: 236 | From Washington | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
designt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for designt1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you CAN use your flexible spending account for an LLMD visit, antibiotics, etc...

Just be sure to get the info from the LLMD's office that the flexible spending account company uses.

Example, my FSA has a debit card they give me, I use it all the time, but if it's an odd amount, they'll ask for card substantiation. Basically they want to know the dr's name, pt's name, services performed, and amount.

Posts: 123 | From Georgia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my flex spending account. My husband and I elect the maximum amount every year, because we know we will use it all. It covers not only LLMDs (and other doctors), but items like contact lens solution, eye glasses, Tylenol, etc. I can even get my massage therapy covered, as long as I provide a doctor's note every time I submit the massage receipts for reimbursement!

Unfortunately, I don't think that "supplements" are covered. I will need to check on this because I have many LLMD-prescribed supplements now.

Posts: 398 | From By the Salish Sea | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
granniela
Member # 17134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for granniela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The printed info. on our flexible spending account said vitamins and supplements are not covered. I wrote to the administrator to say it sure would be nice if they were included.

In the e-mail I cited the example of Vitamin D deficiency documented by blood test, prescribed by a doctor and improved levels shown on re-testing.

I got a message back saying supplements would be covered if I provided a letter of medical necessity with the receipts. Check with your plan administrator and your provider and you, too may be able to get details on how to get vitamins and supplements covered.

Grannie LA

Posts: 67 | From the state of Lyme | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks,

i've used it for years and maxed out the last three.(kids braces). Yoiur nutst o not use it as you will spend the money.

Most importanyly your are basiclaly getting a 28% reduction in medical costs because FSA is pre-tax and lowers your taxable base.

Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leslie in Virginia
Member # 18477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leslie in Virginia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, this may be a stupid question, but ignore my ignorance but I have heard of a flexible spending account, but I do not know what it is or how do you get one. Is it part of a savings account?
Thanks

Posts: 1 | From Virginia | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement