LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Please Help...financial issues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please Help...financial issues
Schelyne
Member # 18920

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Schelyne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just dxd with Lyme and based on research and talking to a friend with it, I see the importance of getting an LLMD. Also I am pretty sure I have had it undxd for about 24 years [Eek!]

I know there is much info on help with financial info and have not been through all of it yet...so much info, so little time [dizzy]

So far, I have not found an LLMD who accepts my insurance (or any for that matter) except one I was warned to stay away from.

RIght now we are financially strapped... mostly due to not being able to work much and defaulting on credit cards, behind on mortgage, struggling to survive and about to file BK.

Is my only option to pay out of pocket for tx and rx?

Any recommendations or suggestions?

I have no money to pay out of pocket, I can barely afford milk sometimes. Our cars are old, our bills are the basics, my husband works 2 jobs and I have not been able to contribute to income much for over 3 years. Was a SAHM working part time here and there.

We cannot sell house b/c owe more than it is worth.

Please help. I am scared and worried and at a crossroads.

--------------------
Michele:)

Posts: 30 | From York, PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
michele,

the best info is what i referred you to earlier FINANCIAL BURDENS that i gave you specific info on.

that will tell you what types of things are available. best to print it off.

yes, it is alot but you need to see the complete picture you are dealing with so you will make the most informed decision based upon what you read and what you can afford.

can any rich family members/friends help you?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissMari
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissMari     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Michele,

I'm kind of in a similar position, so I know what you mean about the word "scared".

Only difference is, I'm single, taking care of my 81-year-old aunt (who is on SSI).

I have been misdiagnosed since (I believe) 1995. I was a VERY healthy person before that, and it's almost like I can pinpoint the DAY I went downhill.

The day I had a huge round rash on my arm, after living in my relatives' house in rural PA.

I managed (sometimes well, sometimes badly) since then. Right now I have been unemployed since July 08, after a temporary disability in Feb 08.

It is only NEXT WEEK that I will finally be seeing an (excellent) LLMD.

Yes --- no insurance. Doesnt matter to me since I havent had insurance since last March (couldnt afford COBRA).

I am behind on my rent, car payments (had it repo'd in April, had to borrow money to get it back --- Need the car to get my aunt to HER dr appts!), utilities, you name it.

IT IS VERY SCARY. And, at least for me, very humiliating since at one time I had been an ultra-responsible working, healthy person.

I also feel it is so sad to be so sick, and have to worry about financial matters --- which obviously is not helpful in getting better!

I have had to borrow from almost everyone who would give it to me, including the cash I will need for the dr next week.

On the sad side, my relatives basically have stopped speaking to me.

I was turned way from 2 churches (I bring in too much unemployment $$$!).

I havent received a phone call or email from my friends in over a month now.

All I can tell you is you do whatever you have to do for your health. I have realized at this point it is all I have left.

Maybe you could arrange a payment plan with your dr.

You may also be in a better position for social services assistance since you have a family.

You may also qualify for utilities assistance from your state or county.

Also, try contacting any local Lyme support group in your area or state -- they may have information about dealing with these types of issues since many of us are in the same position.

I know what it's like --- every day my (ill) brain tries to juggle what I can and can't do, can and can't pay.

If you want to, PM me if you like.

Mar

--------------------
The Bite: July 1995
Next 13 years: Treated for things I didn't have
Symptom total: 45
1 faint Lyme IgM May 2000
5 More negative tests
IGeneX says YES! 3/16/09
Finally feel human: 2012

Posts: 120 | From Plainsboro NJ | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Schelyne
Member # 18920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Schelyne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank yo so much for the support and information. I do have an HMO and am used to seeing in-network docs with referrals. It sounds like I just have to find out what my in-network benefits are at this point.
This makes me feel a little less stressed. I can handle submitting claims and have already had experience with fighting them from time to time.
I certainly do not want to risk the career of a doc that is trying to help us lymies out so now I understand where that no ins thing is coming from.
In this area, I am certain to find someone in network. We have great ins, so as long as they can help, I will see what I can do.

--------------------
Michele:)

Posts: 30 | From York, PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jewels
Member # 18892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jewels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you can get the medical services you deserve.
Posts: 6 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Superb post OptiMis Tick,
Thank You-!

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMT, thanks for detailed instructions; i copied it to my newbie package links so others can use your expertise!! [Smile] heaps of love to you...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement