LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Denied for Medicaid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Denied for Medicaid
astriapage
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astriapage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just denied Medicaid for my third and final time.

This is unbelievable since I am so sick-I have had open heart surgery over this stupid disease.

The reason for denial is that my symptoms aren't severe enough on a daily basis to prevent me from working.

I have documented fevers of over 100 degrees, they have been documented over 100 times.

I deal with alot of pain, nauseu, confusion, anxiety depression, I can't even drive.

it just sucks so bad. I have over 1 million dollars in medical bills and I really need help.

Posts: 303 | From Jekyll Island, GA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crystalkk
Member # 17223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crystalkk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you get a laywer?
Posts: 49 | From philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Sorry to hear that you are getting some of the support that you need. I do hope that changes, somehow.

Did you mean SSD - (Federal Social Security Disability from the Social Security Administration)?

As I understand it,

Medicaid is a state's low income health insurance coverage - usually not dependent upon a person's health at all but upon their income (although even for some with very low income, they may not qualify).

Medicaid can cover some home health services, though, for those with disabilities but one need not have disabilities to qualify for medicaid coverage

One need not be receiving SSD benefits, either, however if one does, that does not guarantee medicaid coverage - their income would.

With medicaid, there is no "final" time to apply. If your situation changes to meet their guidelines, you can apply again - anytime.

I hope you find someone to help you sort this out. Things can look up. Hope they do so soon.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Keebler. Make sure you'r talking to the right people - federal SSD and whatnot won't be able to help.

I just was denied for medicaid myself (but amazingly was given a piddly $176 in food stamps!), but only because I have $30,000 in my college/med school fund. Pitiful that they want to me to liquidate my future before they're willing to help. On the good side though, that's the ONLY reason I've been denied - I'm sick enough I just shouldn't have made smart financial decisions.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry to read this! [group hug] [kiss]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astriapage
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astriapage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a lawyer and it is for NC medicaid. You know I tell people I was denied and they get so mad.

I could half way understand if things weren't so documented and I didn't have open heart surgery because of this disease.

Does anyone have any advice for me-what to do next or is I am at a dead end?

Posts: 303 | From Jekyll Island, GA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astriapage
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17120

I just want to add that I am in GA right now temporarily but will move back to NC shortly-all of my One million in medical bills are in NC.

I also have nothing to my name-not even $1.00.
No car, house nothing!

I have a friend that is taking care of me-otherwise I would be homeless.

I feel like giving up-this sucks so bad.

If someone can please help-please do!

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I don't know what the bankruptcy laws are where you are or are moving to, but you might call the closest law school near you and ask to talk to someone in their student clinic.

You might also just call the state Bar Association for some advice. They do a certain amount of referrals and may know of some sliding-fee (even if that fee is gratis) . . . .

-

[ 02-16-2009, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Very ill with "mono" my first year of college in 1971, this recording really helped me claim my place in the world:

http://www.fleurdelis.com/desiderata.htm

DESIDERATA

- written by Max Ehrmann in the 1920s -

Excerpts:

. . .

Beyond a wholesome discipline,

be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe

no less than the trees and the stars;

you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you,

no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

. . .

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,

it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

=============

http://www.amazon.com/Desiderata-Crane/dp/B00008A8HV

You can listen to a sample recording of this by Les Crane.

(I think Richard Harris also did a splendid recording of this)

-

astriapage
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17120

Does anyone know how to better my case for Medicaid-I know this is tough, but I need something-to be denied 3 times is tough.

I know I deserve it, it makes me mad to see people who are not even sick get it. It is not fair.

JaimieB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JaimieB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried applying for medicare?
Posts: 171 | From the land of oz | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astriapage
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17120

you can't get medicare without ssdi i think and i have been denied for that two times.
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get it if you have severe depression and anxiety. My sister-in-law has been getting it for years with these ailments. Forget the physical stuff and go with the mental side. It's the way the system works..... unfortunatly.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astriapage
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17120

Depression, anxiety confusion has been documented on my case but never the main focus.

I guess time to try to switc gears-how do you do that mid-process?

bettyg
Unregistered

astria,

go to top of medical to my newbie package link; look thru table of contents at beginning pages.

look where SSDI info starts, and print off the forms that CONNIE MC uses representing folks on ssdi claims!

do you have a SUPPORTIVE DR/S? they are the keys to completing these forms and having other MEDICAL DOCUMENTS DOCUMENTING your physical ailments why you can't:

sit, walk, use your hands, climb, lift, crawl, bend, etc. so many HOURS PER DAY!!

look it over please and get out your files for ssdi that you were turned down. DID YOU HAVE THINGS LIKE THAT IN THERE AND WERE TURNED DOWN?

have you used your FEDERAL SENATORS/HOUSE REPS for your area in NC?

YOU'RE AT "DIRE STRAIGHT" LEVEL NOW....there is a new section in there about that; a link with info; read/print that off.

best wishes astria! you're in my thoughts/prayers to overcome this! [group hug] [kiss]

bettyg
Unregistered

astria, i'll copy this here and pm you back as well,

below is what i must have been thinking about as i too can NOT FIND "DIRE" STRAIGHTS INFO right now; i can't keep track in my neuro mind what i DO HAVE or don't have! uffda...

Originally posted by bettyg:
adding important info!

Medicare patients- Free assistance with insurance issues

Tincup
Frequent Contributor
Member # 5829
posted 22-10-2008 04:58 PM

A kind lady told me about this FREE counseling service that is available to those who are on Medicare.

It is to help people with insurance issues (related and NOT related) to Medicare.

You must be a Medicare recipient to be able to use the counseling service.. but it is free.

I haven't had time to contact them, but it may be helpful for those who are having problems.

Here is a site to look up your state's contact number.

http://tiny.cc/Yj2HP

Here is the main Medicare site for more information.

http://www.mymedicare.gov

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement