LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Parents...Ideas for playing with your kids!!??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Parents...Ideas for playing with your kids!!??
Ocean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3496

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,
For all of us out there trying to get through this with kids, I thought I'd start a thread on things we can do with our kids when we are just too tired/sick/ to be physically active with them.

Here are a few on my list:

1) Movies/cartoons (obviously)
2) Reading a book
3) Playing cards
4) Playing 'doctor' (you get to be the patient)
5) Playing hairdresser (again, you get to be the client...just make sure the scissors are up, or you may have quite a surprise when you look in the mirror, lol!)
6) Guess the letter/number. This was a game we invented as children and it is really fun, kids love it! One person lays down on their tummy, the other person 'draws' a letter or number with their finger on the other person's back. The person laying down must guess what it is (you first state whether it is a number or letter).

Anyone have any ideas??

take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter loves to "make me up".

Be prepared to look like a clown though. [Big Grin]

We play Wii as well as have "movie" time.

Popcorn and all.

Mine are only 7 and 5.

While they jump in the trampoline, I tell them which animal to be.

We do art activities together.

Scissors, glue, stickers, etc.

Plus it is good for their imagination.

I give them old clothes and they dress up and I get to "guess" who they are.

We also do "massage" time.

I usually give them each one dollar for that which they can save or spend.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh...massage time! I really like that one! Mine are the same age as yours, except we have 3, the youngest is 2.

I can imagine my 5 year old would love the make-up on. My 7 year old (boy) would love a Wii, maybe we'll get one for Christmas this year!

Great ideas, thanks!

Ocean

--------------------

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 10 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are great ideas!

We do massages, too.

We also do "charades". I'm the guesser.

We hypnotize each other.

These are things that my kids like to do that don't really require me to do much of anything.

My 11 and 9 year olds will play the games.

(That is, when the 11 year old feels like being a kid.)

I have teenagers who will just sit and talk.

(Sometimes just engaging a teenager in conversation is alot of work!)

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how you do it with the little ones!

God Bless You!

I know I just wouldn't have the energy anymore.

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaimieB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JaimieB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two boys ages 6 and 3.

We play alot of playstation, side walk chalk drawlings, hide n seek, board games, back rubbing time, they jump on the trampoline, we play with their action figures (I have grown to love Ben ten and bakugon!)

On days I feel decent, we go hiking and shoot bb guns, build camp fires. I try to make the most of my decent days with them.

Posts: 171 | From the land of oz | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the grandmother stage now but I've found board games to be a great way to spend time with 5 & 8 yr old.

I like to do things that exercise my brain as in crossword puzzles. Board games also are good for me mentally.

Christmas we always purchase games. The game Sorry has been a blast for us. It's been war, fun and very entertaining. I Spy games with timers.

I wonder why the boys are so much faster than Nana? My grandson think I'm special because I'm able to give massages with oils.

No training needed. I have several years experience. They seem to think I can take all pain away. If they only knew the truth.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 2 year old, so it's a little different with such a young one.

When I am truly out of it, we watch a cartoon and snuggle. But normally, I am functional, not great, but functional. So most of our playtimes revolve around things which I can watch and say "oooh!" rather than run around:

1. Play with kitchen stuff, e.g., flour, dried beans.

2. Play with water in a plastic tub. Toys, spoons, whatever.

3. Puppet show with socks

4. Draw on big brown wrapping paper spread across the floor

5. Read

6. Tear up the boardgame, e.g., take out all of the Monopoly pieces and talk about them

7. Empty the toolbox and try everything out (me hiding anything dangerous, of course!)

8. Makeup. Uh-oh. But fun.

9. Computer games

10. Singing and dancing to itunes

Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys for all of the ideas! I am going to write them down and post them so I have a list handy when I need it!

I think it's hard for me too, because my kids range from 2-7, and obviously the 7 year old doesn't want to play 'baby games'.

A lot of times, the 5 and 7 year old play together and the 2 year old and I play.

The puppet show with socks would work for all 3 of them though, I think they would all love using their imaginations for that.

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------

Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the summer, water guns, making water balloons,

Allowing my two to make "mud Pies" are also very entertaining for them.

So is swimming. I don't have to be in the pool, just on duty.

My daughter (7) loves Hannah Montanna.

She will practice a song in her room and "perform" for me.

My 5 year old, (boy) is very content to play with his cars.

I keep a prize box filled with little things.

Beanie babies, cars, small puzzles, lip gloss, etc.

When the children are really good they get to pick out something.

This is really big in my house.

A two year old......Ah I remember those days well.

Mine loved to be swung in a kids swing.

Didn't take too much of my energy.

My daughter always loved and still loves baby dolls.

I buy a cheap pack of baby diapers....very entertaining since she was 2.

We play Yahtzee (sp?). When my youngest was too young,

I let him shake the can with the dice in it.

Another game for the trampoline is to take balloons.

Blow them up almost full but where there is still some give.

My kids try to jump on them with their behinds and pop them.

Talk about funny!

The Wii was probably one of the best investments I've ever made.

My children also have their own computers....linked to mine.

They play games on Nick Jr.com.

Also have a school site with really good educational games.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emh2l
Member # 18886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emh2l     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Play-doh !!! My kids will play with it for hours and it is fun to play with them.

Dance parties.
Movies w/ popcorn.
Cook dinner together.
Have a picnic in the yard.
Reading time. (With snacks, quiet music, etc)
Pajama day. (Everyone gets to wear PJs all day.)
Board games.
Wii competitions.
Build forts.
Write/illustrate books.

I have five children ranging in age from 5-12. They are all very helpful and like to make just about anything into a game. If I feel lousy, usually doing an activity with them picks me up.

Posts: 41 | From SC | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My kids are older - 18 & 22. They have been sick for 10 years.

I don't think we would have made it this far without their computers, Nintendo DSs, satellite TV, and DVRs. Right now, all 3 of us watch Orangutan Island together.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement