LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Comp. wants to send me to a Psychiatrist.......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Comp. wants to send me to a Psychiatrist.......
kreynolds
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15117

Icon 13 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To All:

I am practically being forced to see a

Psychiatrist that I dont even know.

Workers Comp told me that since this is a long

term disease they want to "check me out" to

make sure my other doctors are doing what they

are supposed to.

I recently discovered a LL Psychiatrist in the

same town I see my ID doctor....

which is only 40 min away.

I would rather see a Lyme Literate Pyschiatrist

then see some Joe Shmoe that has no clue about

the disease, wouldn't you????

PLUS he is half the state away!!!

Now I have been dealing with workers comp for 2

years now and they know I have bad anxiety when

it comes to traveling far distances.

I'm on high doses of meds for the anxiety/panic

attacks, but its just not cutting it. It seems

as though they are trying to make me "NON-

COMPLIANT" so they can drop me.

They already know I'll have this for the rest

of my life. Plus their spending $40-$50,000

month on my medicine and the whole 9 yards. What

should I do?

Should I request to see the LL Psychiatrist or

the one that knows nothing of the disease? Any

help in this matter would be appreciated!

Thanks again!

Roy

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would go for the LL psychiatrist if possible!!!

He/she will confirm your sanity, I'm sure!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lymetoo...

Im gonna try my hardest... but it's comp!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say that it is critical that you see a LL one. They will interpret your symptoms properly and support your diagnosis.

An ordinary one will not and will try to peg you into a mental illness dx, if they can. Find an LL psychiatrist and have your LLMD demand that you see a psychiatrist that specializes in Lyme.

Don't let them bamboozle you. They know nothing about Lyme.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Should you request to see the LL Psychiatrist ?

YES. YES. YES.

But first call his office and see how that can be done. He may have done this for others and there may be just the right way to request this or the magic code.'

If he can't, ask him for his suggestions.

It might work out just by matter of distance. If you get tired from driving - or being a passenger - after so many minutes, it matters.

You might also consider having someone drive you - and if that person can't travel half-way across the state, the closer one is best.

Also - if you have any special needs that his office can provide that the other cannot, that might help.

When a friend of mine was required to see a psych. she requested someone familiar with CFS (we have no LL experts in my state). She could lie down, take rest breaks while he did some paperwork . . .

she took her lunch and snacks (they had a fridge) . . . she was there for most of the day. The second time, he actually had to do a house call as my friend could no longer go out.

Find out how long this will take and do what you need to take care of your needs.

If you are sound or light sensitive, they need to be able to accommodate that, too.

You would NOT want to tell comp that he is LL. That may shoot your chances.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
roy,

have you gone to my newbie package links yet?
look thru table of contents there for this:

DISINISSUES WEB SITE .. they cover things like this, and check out their FILES!

it's NOT a board like this, but join and send a note to MODERATOR, who reads it and EDITS EACH ONE to her content, and then posts it to 2,000 board members.

WISDOM GALORE ON THIS SITE; workers comp and ssdi, ssi discussed galore.

i too would suggest calling the ll person of YOUR choice to see if they could do this or not!

you'll be fighting galore with workers comp on everything; it's worse than ssdi !! good luck.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replys guys!... Bettyg got your PM thanks!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pm sent...

[hi] mtree

--------------------
worrying about tomorrow takes its strength away from today

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Thanks keebler and mtree!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would agree, best to see a LL doctor.

My guess is that they have an agenda in making you go 1/2 State away to see a specific doctor. Probably someone that they can count on to provide the opinion that they want.

I would investigate the doctor, looking for information about his relationship with them. What is the focus of his practice etc?

If you can't see a psychiatrist of your choice, make them give you one closer to where you live.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be very careful here.

There is a big duck study from the Robert Wood Johnson Center that came out recently. They mentioned gathering more data from other Lyme patients... and their final reports on Lyme tend to be worse than poop.

Another study also just came out with the same implications.

They already are saying we are either lazy, had problems before Lyme, and/or this has nothing to do with Lyme and we don't have Lyme... nor do we need antibiotics. (MY wording there)

You are right.. you ARE getting set-up. There is a rash of it going around.

And most likely your doctors will be set-up too for treating you for Lyme.

So please be VERY careful.

I THINK they HAVE to provide transportation to and from... so do inquire and MAKE them do it.

Also.. make them accommodate ALL of your disabilities. It's the law but they will never offer to.

If you get sick traveling.. I believe (states are different) they must come to you. Make them.

If you need a wheelchair because walking through long buildings from parking areas is too much... make them provide you one.

If you can't see all the forms they want filled out.. let them know they must provide large print or someone to read them to you... and you must be given xtra time to have a lawyer read over them.

If lights (florescent) bother you.. tell them they must do tests where there are none and must accommodate you.

If your energy is limited, they must break down the sessions to no more than an hour each if that is all you are good for.

Your regular doctors accommodate you.. and by law they must too.

Give them written notice now of your situation.

AND... watch the consent forms. Some are reading that anyone can have your records... yes, anyone. And once you get to the appointment... if you don't sign them they won't see you and then you are non-compliant also. So get them in advance BEFORE you agree to go.

If they've ever made you send in something twice... they are sloppy with their record keeping and your medical records.... a violation of your privacy rights.

They are targeting neuro/psych people eating up insurance money and putting out studies to make us appear nuts rather than sick with Lyme.

When you add to their collection of "subjects"... it hurts us all.

Oh.. and by making you go to an appointment on their schedule... so they know where you are... they have the ability to film you secretly to try to "catch" you bending, lifting, doing anything they can turn around into being as if you are able to work...

Or say you are faking and took their $$$... allowing you to get nailed for fraud.

Yeah.. a bunch of nice idiots patients have to deal with, no doubt.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Tincup:

You hit some very major points that I have been trying to tell my adjuster.

She will not listen to my needs. First of all I have very bad panic attacks traveling far distances in a vehicle. Like hospital-bound panic attacks. [Frown]

Second I'm really sick at this point in my treatment. I have asked her to find a closer Pyschiatrist, but she won't work with me. [cussing]

I also asked her to see if she could scheldule an earlier appointment, like 8:00am instead of 3:30pm because my anxiety gets worse through the day. [shake]

I think they are trying to set me up. I have already demanded transportation and that took FOREVER! I wish I could have the doc come to my house, I never thought that they were able to do that. [confused]

It seems as though I am trying my hardest to work with them, but they won't work with me.

To add to the saga, I have a very respectable lawyer, one of the best in the state, and I called his office in rage telling him the situation about how I wont be able to make it because of my Anxiety and Illness and he told me I HAVE TO GO!!!! [bonk]

Im stuck...If I don't go they will drop me and I will lose all of my benefits.

I can see them sitting there laughing..knowing I can't make the trip(they are well aware of my panic attacks and use them against me).

They always try to send me far and push my buttons.. to see if I'll flip out, then they can drop me. Its a game......

Out of the blue they are sending me for an evaluation? I was told it was because I have been on Comp for so long and its standard procedure. [Roll Eyes]

I already see a psychologist who I am very comfortable with and my I.D. doc writes all my anxiety meds.Does this sound fishy to you? PLEASE HELP!!! [dizzy]

I've tried to talk my adjuster into finding a closer doc but she told me ALL the patients see this guy. AHHHHH!!! [Mad]

[ 02-21-2009, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Kreynolds ]

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Email me...

[email protected]

Tell me your SCREEN name so I can relate to what I need to do.. ok?

Need to know when the appointment is also.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Thanks Tincup...Email Sent!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme literate by whose standard? ILADS or IDSA?
Careful now.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Lymeloco:

The "Good Guys" Standards.....

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

WIZARD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIZARD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PM sent! 2nd one sent, also!
Posts: 252 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Got it WIZARD! Thanks!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey K.. no email arrived. Can you resend?

I have some info I've been working on for you.

If you wait too long... I'll have to get you tomorrow. Busy and VERY tired. OK?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

BTW- You've got SUCKY laws in NJ for taking care of the patient.

Sorry about that!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

kreynolds
Member # 15117

Tincup:

I'll try again! Sorry... are they really that bad? I was hoping for the best..

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Tincup
Member # 5829

Email sent back to you with info. Let me know if you get it and can open the attachment.

Good luck!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

kreynolds
Member # 15117

Tincup:

Got it.... Thank you so very much this will shock them all! In all seriousness, this is exactly what I needed! Thanks [Wink]

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

johnnylight
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnylight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's so disgusting if you go to a psychiatrist then they could say ohh the psychiatrist said you are crazy and depressed that's why your sick? I just got a bad feeling about this. I hope all goes well for you but these comps are just like all the rest they don't want to have to pay.
Posts: 128 | From web | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Krenolds,

the doctor who went to my friend's house was only a couple miles away. It was not their first appointment, though.

Under most circumstances, it would not be done but if your safety is of concern, they may have a home-team for assessment, but your atty seems to close that door for you.

You know, just as lyme creates all sorts of symptoms, anxiety, alone, is one that can be better understood by the establishment.

If you get help, that is what matters, regardless of the label.

We all know that when we can address all the facets of lyme, the anxiety can diminish. It just takes some time.

Good luck.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

I am very concerned about this... If I lose Comp. I lose treatment. If I lose treatment. I lose hope... and so on.....

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kreynolds,

I too have a workmen's comp pending. It took 10 years for the guy who wrote Nature's Noir and was in the film UOS to get workmens' comp and then they did not reimburse him for all the trips he took to the doc.

My claim has been pending since 2001.

I too found I really did not have a choice of doctor's to see.

Looking back, I was still looking for answers when I saw the psych.

The others who came down sick at work when I did also had negative reports from the psych they saw.

I felt I did not really get across to her who badly I was feeling. I was still at the stage that I did not realize I looked fine on the outside and the doctor's really could not tell just how poorly I was doing.

But, bottom line is I know the others at work were doing a better job at getting things across to the docs and they still got negative write ups.

It is just one of the hoops you have to jump through.

It is good workmen's comp is providing for you at this time.

I do hope it continues for you.

The last time workmen's comp sent me to a doctor, they provided the transportation via a new company in town that drove me.

I was able to recline in a gurney and able to take my power chair.

I had direct contact with the person making the appt.

I did send in 3 names of possible lyme literate MD"s but still had to see the ID at a major medical center that was known not to help lyme patients.

The psych they had me see said I was a malinger or somethin like that.

And that I laid on the floor during the interview...not because I could not sit up...but because I was faking it.

This was before I had the power chair.

She was late to the appointment and I also had to lie down outside her door as I waited for her to arrive in the hallway. Very humbling.

This was in the days when I still thought you went to the medical field for help.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Tincup:

They have been mailed!!! wonder if it will cause a stir for the good??? Thanks Again!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Tincup
Member # 5829

-

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement