LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Ladies - how do you get through your period??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ladies - how do you get through your period??
btmb03
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, before I became ill I never missed a day of work bc of my period - never even bothered me. Now I'm teary, cranky, SO fatigued I skip the shower, my fibro pain is thru the roof.

How do you guys cope? I've tried the pill thing - tried several of them to stop my period but I felt worse. I don't think I do well on synthetic hormones.

Any input greatly appreciated, I can't imagine suffering this way year after year!! Thanks!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

bt, have you thought about a hysterectomy?

i too was as sick as you and would be off work 1-2 days/month due to vomiting and severe cramps.

was nice to be done w/my period and human again; my ovaries were left.

best wishes! [group hug] [kiss]

DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeafFromLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a long time I had a Mirena IUD, which contains hormones and that helped me for a long time!

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

www.24weekperfectbaby.blogspot.com

Son's blog born at 24 weeks.

Posts: 356 | From massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soleil16
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soleil16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like the Mirena IUD. Haven't had a period in 15 months. It has localized hormones so it doesn't mess with the rest of your body. It's really worth looking at.

And it's way cheaper over 5 years than taking the pills every month. AND if you're like me, I always forgot, or was worried about it being less effective on antibiotics. Don't have to worry about that anymore.

Posts: 236 | From Washington | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

I've never thought of an IUD helping with this problem so thx for your input. The monthly misery added to already waxing/waning hormones is just too much for me!!
Ocean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

So sorry. My big thing is that my anxiety increases during my period. I do get cramps and stuff, it's the mental stuff that kills me.

Before you jump into Mirena, please research it. There are MANY women on Curezone who have had a horrible time on it, it cause lots of anxiety/panic attacks.

I've never tried any pills or anything as I got sick before as I became sick before I was sexually active and then after getting sick I was too afraid to try anything that may make me worse!!

I don't know if this would help. I know that it helps with too much bleeding, but thermal ablation is what it is called. I really don't know much about it and if it would help you, but something to ask your doctor. You cannot have it performed though if you are not finished having children.

Take care,

Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bt-

I have a real hard time too.

I was ready to do the thermal ablation last summer, but due to an irregularity in the bloodwork, I was referred to a hematologist before my GYN could proceed.

It was too hard scheduling appts, so I never got around to it. I saw my LLMD 1st.

I'm glad it was sidetracked, though. Now, my LLMD is managing it. I am taking an herbal homeopathic supplement, which seemed to help initially.

I had two "good periods" (for the first time in 10 years)and then the next month, the mack truck came and ran me over!

Now I have just been prescribed "natural progesterone", which he feels should help regulate me better.

Talk to your LLMD. My hormones have been all screwed up by years of lyme disease, plain and simple.

Feel free to PM me for details.

Carly

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Ocean, Carly, don't worry, I research *everything* before i even see the doc. I'd never heard about thermal ablation..

Unfortunately my LLMD doesn't deal with these issues (lucky duck Carly) but when this never-ending cycle ends (periods are getting wacky) I might try a naturopath..or at least start with hormonal testing.

This stuff drains me so much I barely have energy to have a shower let alone chase all these [important] treatments. Thx a lot for your input!!

Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was first married, I got the Depo shot.

I never thought I had trouble with my periods or with being emotional or anything before that.

But when I went on Depo, my emotions just leveled out so wonderfully.

It didn't kill my emotions, but I found that I wasn't as nervous or easily upset over things anymore.

ANd it ended my period until I went off it.

So that's an option.

I would just caution you if you want to get pregnant again.

I miscarried my first pregnancy, and I still suspect it had to do with the Depo.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also called endometrial ablation.

As long as you're finished having children.

I can empathize with you. I believe that my troubles will lessen dramatically with lyme treatment.

Good luck.

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnesium really helps with this. It helps with anxiety, irritability, sleep and energy.

I also use Rhodiola Rosea. It helps with cramps and energy. Initially I took it 2 weeks before. Made a huge difference for me.

Lastly, as someone mentioned before, progesterone. It helps with anxiety. And gives a sense of well being.

Best,
Karen

Posts: 1686 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Join us on www.lymefriends.com. You can't have too much support; lots of us are there as well. It is a social networking site and you'll find lots of support there.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tick Tock
Member # 15948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tick Tock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mirena IUD is fabulous. I can function again. Had it nearly 5 years, almost time to replace it.
Posts: 79 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'm definitely going to talk with my PCP about several options - doctors vary so much in their approach about these issues..on top of Lyme, I don't know what he'll say but I want to give *something* a try or I'll go crazy every month!!
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sympathize with you. I hate that time of the month. Actually, for me it starts about a week to two weeks before. And lately my cycle is so unpredictable - 26-35 days!

In fact, waiting on it now and feel like I could kill someone [Smile] I get awful mood swings and really fatigued. Sometimes awful cramps, sometimes not.

Not knowing what to expect each month is driving me crazy. You just can't plan anything.

Synthetic hormones made me a lot worse if you can believe that.

My current game plan is to try to increase calcium/magnesium and B complex vitamins during the second half of my cycle while taking fish oil daily.

I have heard I should give this protocol a few months to kick in.

Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Opus, hope you find some relief with your supplements. I'm on each and everyone you mention and it has made NO difference to me but it does help some women.

Yes, synthetic hormones and I just don't mix. Will post again to let everyone what my doc suggested.

MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lyme does mess iwth hormones. crosses the

pitiuitary gland causing hormone h*ll. maybe try

ob/gyn who co-specialized in infecious

diseae? for me the bio-identical hormones have

been a GREAT relief. i started these last dec/jan

before i knew i had lyme, knew i had something

going on but thought was auto-immune for last

9 yrs, anyway the bio-identicals are made to

work with your body and abrorbed to use.

Progesterone in the one i'm on at pretty high

does, also increase the mag. too, my "twitching"

always gets worse with my period. luckily my doc

for the hormones does take my ins. lots of new

wellness" clinics opening up with this that

charge you way tooo much and want to do crazy,

expensive testing too. my doc goes on symptoms.

her thought is your body tells you what is

working not blood work, everyone is different.

have reffered some folks to her who have all

said made big difference. some were in

menopause, post-hysterectomy, etc. she has

labeled me as "pre" menopuase (at 32)and big

assaults to the body can cause this (oh..like

lyme u mean??) but, it helps..l;ol..even hubby

will say, "honey, did u remember to take your

litte pink pill? u sure??" please excuse and

typos or mis-spelling as i am in that hormal zone right now myself

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orrn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orrn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have horrible mood swings and my LD symptoms are really bad a week or so before my period and lately mid-cycle when I ovulate.

I get some relief from Pamprin, believe it or not, but you have to get the kind that says it helps with "irritability".

The other kinds don't help at all for me. Everyone's different though so what helps for one might not help for another.

Just thought I would mention what helps me. I also thought about a hysterectomy for awhile,

but I am scared to death of surgery, so this is how I cope right now.

Good luck and take care! If you find something different that helps fill the rest of us in!

orrn

Posts: 239 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swachsler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swachsler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTMB-

I don't know if this relates to your situation or not, but when I was on amoxicillin, each period was more horrible than the last.

Every month my cycle shortened, my bleeding was heavier, the pain worse. I can't speak to psych stuff, because I was so altered all the time anyway it's hard to sort out.

Plus, I was beside myself with pain and nausea. I do remember being on the floor in the bathroom and losing it at my partner for not coming home. I called her hysterically at the library.

I was vomiting from the pain, and I was on heavy-duty pain meds, too.

Anyway, when I went off amoxi, all that went away.

When I went on bicillin, my period got a little screwy, but nowhere near what it was like on amoxi. And it has mostly been normalizing over time now, even on bicillin.

So I wonder if changing your treatment might make a difference?

-Sharon

Posts: 223 | From Western Mass. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement