LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Someone Please Respond Quickly!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Someone Please Respond Quickly!!!!
Dani1984
Member # 19436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dani1984     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I am writing to ask about panic. I just had an episode when I was getting ready to drive home from my mom's. I got all shakey and felt like I was going to pass out. My throat dries all out and I feel like I am choking. I still feel that way even though the initial panic is gone and I am safely home.

Someone please help!! Does this happen to anyone else and how do you keep yourself from panicking and thinking that there is something else wrong with you and going to the hospital?!?

Please help if you can [Frown]

--------------------
"This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!"

Posts: 35 | From Cortland, NY | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Danielle,

I think the anxiety and panic attacks happen to alot of lyme patients.

I don't experience this myself, but I have read that alot of others do.

You will probably get alot more responses that may help you if you post this in Medical Questions.

You are not alone.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dani,

This was common for me....even though Lyme is causing it your response can make it worse or better..when it happens stay calm and it will pass.

Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have anxiety too. It use to be like you described, as a panic attack, but after a while you learn what it is and that it "will" pass and you learn skills to diminsh the effects.

Just breath in through your nose and out through your mouth slowly and relax your muscles. Try this immediately every time you feel it coming on.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SERTRALINE antidepressant helps on mood swings; i'm pretty sure i use that for panic attacks or had a different one and CAN'T remember all the various pills used for this/that for me.

DEEP BREATHING and even have a paper back with you at all times to help you as well.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dani1984
Member # 19436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dani1984     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone. I used to have an anxitey problem when I was 12-15 but got over it with the help of God. Now that I am on all this medicine and you never know what Lyme is going to do, I find myself being afraid that I am going to be driving with my kids or bty myself and pass out.

A lot of it stems from when I do panic my whole body gets shakley and feels like it's going to give out. Anyway thanks for all the great advice.

--------------------

Posts: 35 | From Cortland, NY | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what I do to deal with the panic issues when they hit is to go over in my mind that I've had all these tests that came back fine, so I am NOT having a heart attack or whatever.

Then (this is for those of the Christian faith), I say out loud, "In the name of Jesus Christ, I banish this spirit of panic from my body. I have Jesus as my Savior, so this spirit has NO authority in my body. I command you to leave in Jesus' name."

I say that over and over till I feel calmer.

Also, deep breathing helps, as others have stated.

If you have it close by, putting on some favorite music to take your mind off what you're feeling helps. I try to put on some favorite songs from the 80s and sing or dance along till I feel better.

Oh, I have also started taking a Benadryl when I feel this way. I can't handle all the antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs they gave mee--horrible reactions--so I just pop a Benadryl.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astriapage
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astriapage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have these bad attacks when I drove, and before I drove. It got to be such a big deal that my family decided it would be best if I did not drive anymore.

When I showed up at my parents at Thanksgiving bawling and hyperventalating everyone put a stop to me driving, plus I would get lost alot going to places I had went my whold life?

Like everyone else said, know you are having an attack and do what you need to do to calm yourself down

Posts: 303 | From Jekyll Island, GA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry you are going through this. Panic attacks and anxiety started for me when I got sick.

It's the worst feeling in the world (that and depression). I'm doing better anxiety wise right now, I've been able to gain weight now too, when I'm in that hyper anxiety state, I have to constantly move and I look like I'm dying.

It's hard because when you are in the moment of panic, there is nothing that can help. I just tell myself that I have felt this way many times before and nothing ever happened. I've gone to the ER once for a panic attack (although I've thought about it many times, have had a few hundred panic attacks over the years probably), and I've decided that I'm not going to the ER again unless I pass out.

I just drove by myself yesterday for the first time in 8 months. I felt anxious, but didn't have a panic attack.

Just know that you are certainly not alone and just because you aren't dying, doesn't mean that the feelings aren't real. The feelings of doom are intense, I know!! Anyone who has had a panic attack knows how terrifying they are.

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dani1984
Member # 19436

You guys are all so great. Thanks for all the advice and the support. It helps to know that I am not alone and that it will get better.

I have started taking magnesium supplements so hopefully that will help.

I am of the Christian faith and don't know how anyone can survive panic without having God there with them.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support, you all are a great help.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dani .. next time you have an emergency, be sure to post in Medical. Not many frequent the General Support area.

Glad you're feeling better now.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dani1984
Member # 19436

thank you optimistick and lymetoo. I know that this is only temporary and it all will pass. Thanks for the advice and hope!!

--------------------

astriapage
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astriapage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that you can't get through this without God's help- I like to remember the footprints poem when things get really tough.

It really resonates with me-that he carried me!

Posts: 303 | From Jekyll Island, GA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I cannot stress strongly enough the importance of getting this book. It will answer many questions and prepare you for dealing with emergencies of all types that revolve around lyme.

Usually, the ER is not at all a friendly place to lyme patients but if you ever feel like your life is on the line, be sure to go. Not everything is lyme-related, of course.

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dani1984
Member # 19436

thank you astripage and Keebler. I'll definately

get that book. You guys on here are all great

and have become a huge support in my life at this

difficult time. Thanks [Smile]

--------------------

Melodymaker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melodymaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dani,

I too have relied on God to get me through the 25 years I was misdiagnosed.

I've never had panic episodes, but now on treatment find myself becoming easily overwhelmed and starting to panic.

The instant I start to feel paniky, I stop and begin thinking about the reality of it. Take a step back and deep breaths. That really helps.

Talking with God frequently is important. I'm praying for you girl!

--------------------
Wishing You Showers Of Blessings!
Lyme since Fall 1983 = Diagnosed Summer 2008
IV Rocephin 7 weeks Stopped due to drug fever
Now doxycycline
"For I know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 430 | From Sunny South | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abbyjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbyjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry. I too have had some awful panic attacks. The worst one of my life lasted over an hour as I paced frantically around the house. I came to realize that the two ice teas I had with dinner is what triggered it. Besides chocolate:) I have totally cut out caffeine and have been fine.

--------------------
abbyjo

Posts: 255 | From Southern CA. | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement