LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Magnesium?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Magnesium?
johnnylight
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnylight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Fry explains that the reason magnesium needs to be withheld from the mineral supplement is due to the fact that magnesium aids the bacteria in the development of the biofilm. Therefore, after destroying the biofilm and the bacteria, it is not logical to provide magnesium, which will only help create more biofilm. Dr. Fry has also found that Lyme disease patients more often than not have an overabundance of magnesium. However, he recommends monitoring the patient's magnesium level during treatment.

http://www.publichealthalert.org/Articles/tinagarcia/new%20treatment%20dramatic%20results.htm

Posts: 128 | From web | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting article, thanks!!

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt worse on magnesium last year. I was taking it first for anxiety (pre lyme diagnosis), and I started taking it a lot as anxiety kept getting worse and worse.

I haven't taken it since Oct 31, the day I had a massive panic attack that landed me in the ER.

Anxiety levels have been maintainable for the most part too.

I now know I was only aiding the bugs.

Thanks Johnny,

Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Interesting. Thanks for the article link.

Still, low magnesium can account for so many problems and also for neurological damage. Some authors say that many lyme patients are low in magnesium since the lyme seems to eat it up. Therefore, we have to give more to our cells in order for survival.

I do MUCH, much better with magnesium and it can really help prevent seizures. And magnesium can also really help the liver.

I am concerned that with-holding magnesium can contribute to do some damage but will read more about that. We cannot starve any cells in our body of essential nutrients.

Still, I need to go back and re-read that article many times and then read what other researchers have to say about that. Clearly, this is an important topic but I'm not sure I agree with withholding an essential nutrient. I think there may be another way to do this.

Dr. Burrascano says magnesium supplements are essential. I am sure he has his reasons for insisting upon that.

-

[ 04-01-2009, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Hypomagnesemia - 1634 abstracts

Magnesium deficiency - 5240 abstracts

================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypomagnesemia

Hypomagnesemia is an electrolyte disturbance in which there is an abnormally low level of magnesium in the blood. Usually a serum level less than 0.7 mmol/l is used as reference.

Hypomagnesemia is not equal to magnesium deficiency.

Hypomagnesemia can be present without magnesium deficiency and vice versa.

The prefix hypo- means low (contrast with hyper-, meaning high). The middle 'magnes' refers to magnesium. The end portion of the word, -emia, means 'in the blood;' note, however, that hypomagnesemia is usually indicative of a systemic magnesium deficit.

. . .

- full article at link above.

==============

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_deficiency_

- add to the end of the URL: _(medicine) --it would not post unless I separated that.

Magnesium deficiency

Excerpt:

. . .

Symptoms

Possible symptoms and pathologies as a result of magnesium deficiency are widespread, but may include:

Hypertension,

cardiovascular disease,

Vitamin K deficiency,

depressed immunity,

depression,

diabetes,

increased levels of stress,

insomnia,

fasciculation,

migraine,

ADHD,

asthma,

Restless Leg Syndrome, and

allergies

. . . .

- Full article at link above.

And, of coure, Wiki, is just a place to begin. PubMed takes it further. But, still, it is a vast area of reseach, especially considering the spirochete's connection and several ILADS authors have written about this.

=

[ 04-01-2009, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnylight
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnylight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still so confused but it sounds like you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't kind of thing.
Posts: 128 | From web | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

This may help explain some of my concerns:

---------------

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines, 16th edition, October, 2008

From a word search of this document, nine mentions of magnesium were found. All of those are included in these excerpts:

. . .

Page 6:

Magnesium deficiency is very often present and quite severe.

Hyperreflexia, muscle twitches, myocardial irritability, poor stamina and recurrent tight muscle spasms are clues to this deficiency.

Magnesium is predominantly an intracellular ion, so blood level testing is of little value.

Oral preparations are acceptable for maintenance, but those with severe deficiencies need additional, parenteral dosing: 1 gram IV or IM at least once a week until neuromuscular irritability has cleared.

------

Page 25:

Levofloxacin is generally well tolerated, with almost no stomach upset. Very rarely, it can cause confusion- this is temporary (clears in a few days) and may be relieved by lowering the dose.

There is, however, one side effect that would require it to be stopped- it may cause a painful tendonitis, usually of the largest tendons. If this happens, then the levofloxacin must be stopped or tendon rupture may occur.

It has been suggested that loading the patient with magnesium may prevent this problem, and if the tendons do become affected, parenteral high dose vitamin C (plus parenteral magnesium) may afford rapid relief.

-------

Page 28 (in the supplement section):

6. MAGNESIUM (required)

Magnesium supplementation is very helpful for the tremors, twitches, cramps, muscle soreness, heart skips and weakness. It may also help in energy level and cognition.

The best source is magnesium L-lactate dehydrate (``Mag-tab SR'', sold by Niche Pharmaceuticals: 1-800-677-0355, and available at Wal-Mart).

DO NOT rely on ``cal-mag'', calcium plus magnesium combination tablets, as they are not well absorbed. Take at least one tablet twice daily.

Higher doses increase the benefit and should be tried, but may cause diarrhea. In some cases, intramuscular or intravenous doses may be necessary.

--

Page 30:

. . .

OTHER OPTIONAL SUPPLEMENTS

VITAMIN D

Surprisingly, most people in America are vitamin D deficient. In the Lyme patient, low vitamin D levels can cause diffuse body aches and cramps that are not responsive to magnesium or calcium supplements.

. . . .

- Entire 37-page document at link above.

--

[ 04-01-2009, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

johnnylight
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18518

I have a lot of respect for Dr. B but this new biofilm discovery is another thing they have to contend with. they have found biofilm in the brain in clusters and so on, we wouldn't want to increase the colonies to make more clusters.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Biofilm discovery is not so new but certainly biofilm is a huge key. While Fry's work may offer insight, that is just one article. I'd want to see more, especially since low magnesium can be devastating.

Alan MacDonald's work has been just on that area of this.

What does he say about magnesium ? I don't know if it's in this one document but it might mention that. He is the primo researcher in this area.

-------

Biofilms of Borrelia burgdorferi and Clinical Implications for Chronic Borreliosis - Alan B. MacDonald, MD

May 17, 2008
University of New Haven
Lyme Disease Symposium
New Haven, Conn.

74 pages, pdf:

www.molecularalzheimer.org/files/Biofilm_New_Haven_ppt_Read-Only_.pdf

=========

I just checked that link and it did not go through. It always has before - I'll check on that.

For now, here's a good link to some of MacDonald's work:

http://www.lyme-disease-research-database.com/alan-macdonald-transcription.html

=============

I have also read (elsewhere) that allicin can help break through biofilm.

-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

http://www.molecularalzheimer.org/

Website for Alan B. MacDonald, MD

=======================

Dr. Alan MacDonald: "Biofilms of Borrelia burgdorferi and Clinical Implications for Chronic Borreliosis" (DVD)

This lecture was recorded at the University of New Haven, July 7, 2008.

$15 - You can purchase DVD of this lecture from this link:

http://www.newhaven.edu/unh/lyme/

-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

While not specifically relating to borrelia, there is significance to this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Allicin, biofilm - one - the search takes you right to this:

J Appl Microbiol. 2003;95(4):709-11.

In vitro activity of allicin against Staphylococcus epidermidis and influence of subinhibitory concentrations on biofilm formation.

P�rez-Giraldo C, Cruz-Villal�n G, S�nchez-Silos R, Mart�nez-Rubio R, Blanco MT, G�mez-Garc�a AC.

Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Extremadura, Badajoz, Spain.

AIMS:

The aim of this study is to determine the in vitro activity of allicin against Staphylococcus epidermidis and to evaluate the influence of allicin on biofilm formation.

METHODS AND RESULTS:

In vitro activity of allicin (diallyl thiosulphinate) against 38 strains of S. epidermidis was investigated.

The activity of allicin was similar against S. epidermidis methicillin susceptible and methicillin resistant strains [minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC)90=8 mg l(-1)].

In general, subinhibitory concentrations (sub-MIC) of allicin diminished biofilm formation in the five strains analysed.

CONCLUSION:

The results confirm the antibacterial effect of allicin. Sub-MICs of allicin also diminished the biofilm formations by S. epidermidis.

SIGNIFICANCE AND IMPACT OF THE STUDY:

The present study shows that allicin is active in vitro against S. epidermidis and that sub-MICs of allicin may play a role in the prevention of adherence of this bacteria to medical devices.

PMID: 12969283

-

johnnylight
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18518

No doubt that biofilm explains why so many relapse
we really need more research on this i will cut down on my dosage though but will not stop completely till we get some more info. Isn't Lyme wonderful, so complicated of a Disease.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Yeah, I would much rather be trying to figure out something else.

Anything else !

Cheers !

==============

You might want to see this current thread: Topic: Best Biofilm eaters??

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/79363?

--

Among other good posts, Mupersan gives this link:

grapefruit seed extract works against cysts. Check it out:

http://www.siv.no/webpro/dokument/564000_Citrosept.proof.pdf

========

And, in addition to searching ``biofilm'' you might also search for ``Cyst buster'' or other research on treating the cystic form of lyme. In order to treat the cyst form, the biofilm needs to be addressed so you may find answers there.

-

Zebco 33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zebco 33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Magnesium inhibit the absorbtion of my doxy abx?

Is Cod Liver Oil safe to take?

Posts: 145 | From Paris, Tn. | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD highly recommended Mg in his notes. How on earth do you ever know who to believe? This stuff changes constantly. [Frown]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

I believe magnesium is one of the single most important supplements that will help our liver, our nerve fibers and our mood.

Most lyme patients do not have enough and many problems can be the result. I completely trust the work of Dr. Burrascano and all the abstracts at PubMed.

That said, of course biofilm is important to address and there are other ways to do that without risking magnesium deficiency.

-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Zebco 33,

I don't know if magneslum inhibits doxy as calcium does but take it at a different time of day to be safe. It's best to separate meds from supplements, anyway.

Cod Liver Oil, if from a good source (mercury free and certified so), is excellent.

-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are we continuing to post this dr's name here?? It's still against the rules.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnylight
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18518

Yeah they shut down another lyme doc in Massachusetts so we got to watch it because they are secretly reading our stuff.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement