LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » GUY WITH LYME RUNS 5K!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GUY WITH LYME RUNS 5K!!
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well folks after removing Doxy from the mix two weeks ago and adding Bactrim i was able to say something on Saturday i haven't said in a long, long time: I feel pretty good today!!...Sunday was pretty good and so is today. Not 100% but 90%-95%....who knows if it will last.

On a side note part of my recovery has been the excerise routine. If you don't believe you can do it( i was a couch potato) then come to Long Branch NJ this Sunday and watch a 46 year old Lymie who had trouble walking due to vertigo 9 months ago run a 5K. And yes i am doing this to make a statement for all of us...i have worked my @ss off to get here.

The 5K is run by the LDA and is used to raise awareness and money for Lyme Research. I am almost a success story but not quite there yet. So No...i'm not posting there yet....but hopefully this gives you some hope. Like many of you i thought my life was over...

Keep the Faith

Dave

[ 05-17-2009, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: DaveNJ ]

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear the news Dave. Good luck with the race.
Posts: 743 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
execellent hopeful post. It's keeping me focused on my goal of walking crutch free. Needed to read your post.

have a wonderful race day.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DMC,

This insidious disease wants us to lay down i am truly convinced of that..stick with that goal. You can do it.

Dave

--------------------

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay Dave! I will be cheering you on. Taht is the thing that I miss the most, competitive running.

I am leting this disease run my life, I need to be a bit more pro-active with my fitness, even if it is just lifting weights for now.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Feelfit,

i hope you change that soon. That is the one thing you have control over. 2 years ago i was 198, high cholestrol, etc...

now thanks to Lyme and fear as a motivator....163, cholestrol is in check, blood pressure is good and i feel strong on most days.

The workouts helped with my frustration more than anything else.

Dave

--------------------

lymephobic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymephobic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great News Dave!

See you at the race (well the walk for me!)

Posts: 193 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[woohoo]

I remember reading your much earlier posts.

May I say "you've come a long way baby! [Big Grin] "

Great news.....great work on running.

Hope everything continues to go well for you.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Geneal,

its amazing how fast 9 months go by...okay not really:)

Lymephobic...see you as well..

Dave

--------------------

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dave, i'll be cheering you on from iowa; best wishes sat; and what an UPPER for us to read. [Smile] [group hug] [kiss]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

So glad to hear the news! Can you throw some magic over this way? LOL

I started Malarone 5 days ago and am adding Bactrim in on Friday.

Hope it help..... But as for you my Jersey friend, I am so happy to hear that this is almost passed!

What a relief!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Thanks Betty and Thanks Roy.

Roy i hope you are keeping your chin up...while your situation is a bit more complicated a year ago i thought my life was over...just never give up. Find a way to sweat if at all possible...and never give up...eventually they will find the right combo....

Dave

--------------------

kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave-

Your posts on your progress have really given me some hope.

I also have the dizziness/vertigo for 3 straight years now and off and on for 15.

I have been on Biaxin for just over a month now.

Last week worked up to 1000 mg once per day.

I am seeing some positive changes in the last days.

Thanks and good luck at the race!

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Kitty,

Glad my posts help...just paying it forward. 50% improvement after 2 months...it has since taken 7 months for the rest of my progress...follow Dr B's advice. it has served me well.

Dave

--------------------

MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave~

Thank you so much for sharing your success story. I am just starting Lyme treatment and it is my dream to run a race someday.

Thank you for your encouragement that no matter how bad things seem right now, to never give up, and that there is hope. Cheering for you as you run the race and cross the finish line.

Thanks again,
MorningSong

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Thanks MorningSong....i will post my progress next Monday. You can start you training now...i started with simple 30 min walk at a snails pace. I had no plans to do this i just felt that the more oxygen i got the more die off i would have...many of those early training sessions took every ounce of my will to get out of the fetal position and on my legs.

But Once i heard the buggers don't like oxygen i became possessed....and went from 30 mins of walking to 27 mins walking 3 light jogging and on an on....9 months later i can run 3 miles...

Dave

--------------------

mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[woohoo] Dave!!!

--------------------
worrying about tomorrow takes its strength away from today

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,
Thanks for encouraging me to start training now. I thank God I can now sit in a chair and can now walk better.

As soon as I finish this post, I am going for a walk. Thank you so much for sharing how you got started with the exercise and just how much the extra oxygen helped you.

MorningSong

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

MorningStar,

Once you realize this disease wants you to sit down you will never sit down again. Hope you hadd a nice walk.

Dave

--------------------

lemonsnotlymes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonsnotlymes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,
What an inspiring post! This is exactly the kind of information I needed to read. I started walking several weeks ago at a slow pace. Mainly, I was focused on just getting my body moving and soak in of the sun's rays. But as time has gone on, I walk a few times per week at quite a good pace. I am up to 50 minutes or so per walk and feel like I could keep walking!

Where I am confused in Dr. B's guidelines is he says no aerobic activity. Now, I used to know a little something about exercise. I used to be VERY physically fit by combining aerobic and anaerobic (weight lifting) exercises. Why does he say no aerobic when an increase in oxygen is what kills the critters? It sounds like a contradiction to me. Can you explain that to me?

Oh, btw, I am 46 years old, too! Even more reason this is inspiring to me! Thank you!

Posts: 103 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What helped with the vertigo, or do you still have it?
Posts: 146 | From California | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go!

There was a 5 K in VA on Saturday, by National Capital Lyme and Tick-Borne Disease Association.

I participated, jogged the whole way. It felt great, like I was giving my illness the finger.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ha ha ha WONKO!!!!!!
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Lemon,

The caveat is pretty simple. His concern is you will exhaust yourself and your adrenals and thus make your immune system less efficient. But i believe he also supports doing more and more as you get stronger including weight work and hour of vigorous exercise. I can only tell you that i started out and was cautious and occasionaly i would have some worse fatigue the day after.

So in those cases I simply take an extra day off. i never work out two days in a row....i walked for 4 months and the added light jogging and some light weight work in month five. i went slow and just listened to my body. The old me would have gotten up to 3 miles by killng myself. I took 5 months of slowly increasing

And again if i was tired i simply take 2 days off in between. just listen to your body and not your lyme..your body can do more than your lyme mind thinks it can.

Dave

--------------------

DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Lea,

my vertigo slowly dissappered after 2 months of treatment. by month 3 it was 90% gone and now i don't have any issues.

Dave

--------------------

DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Okay gang one last note:

Rainy cold day in NJ but the LDA had a great event. And while it poured the hour before race time it stopped 10 minutes before the start.

Pat Smith from the LDA was there. Cool stuff

I made my own t-shirt)kind of cheesy but it had lymenet and Ilads addresses on the back. wait until you see what i had on the front!!

my 5k time was 27.01....pictures coming soon.

Ps...i won a raffle for a massage..pretty damn good day if i don't say so myself. [Smile]

Dave

--------------------

lymephobic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymephobic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job Dave!

My daughter and I came in at 51 min. My husband hung back with my son and came in just under an hour. I even ran for some! Because my daughter encouraged me to!

Didn't win anything though. My son really wanted the ipod.

Had a great day even with the rain.

Posts: 193 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you are doing so well!!! Also I am glad that the event went really well!

Thats a damn good 5k time! You gotta throw some of that magic this way! LOL

Do you think it was the Bactrim that made the difference?

I am supposed to start it, but heard it causes anxiety etc....

I am SO happy for you and I can't wait to see your post on the SUCCESS STORY list!

Keep it going!

-Roy

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Roy,

even though i had been working out for a while and fighting my way through i really haven't felt well until about a week ago. I can't say its the Bactrim as much as it was the getting off the doxy. i was geting such bad headaches and i was on it for 10 weeks!!!..

So i'm on Bactrim for 3 weeks and i feel pretty good except for an increase in agitation. So maybe what you heard is right.

Dave

--------------------

DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Wonko,

great way to sum things up...that has been my approach since day one. i got through many workouts cursing this demon. way to go completing the 5k....i'm sure you killed some 'ketes in the process.

Lymephobic,

congrats on getting your family out and for finishing the race. i had my 22 year old nephew with me and he smoked me finishing 22 mins and coming in 5th...smart *** punk [Smile]

Dave

--------------------

kreynolds
Member # 15117

Dave,

What sort of exercise regement do you do? I was always into lifting weights for YEARS...

I miss it. I use to run track and cross country, but with my psychical state right now I cannot lift or really run.

Man do I wish I can hit the weights in my basement again, they are getting dusty. I always used it as a way to get the frustration out.

I have a port so it is out of the question for now, but was curious about how you started out.

Slowly, I know that.....

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dave and phobia,

CONGRATS to you/family for finishing the race, and for dave winning a prize!!!

so glad the rain stopped before your race began; chilly here in iowa and last 2 days have been LIGHT rain; feels like autumn the last 3 days!! hope not!

we're so proud of all of you for being able to resume this part of your PRE-LYME lives!! hip hip hooray!! [Smile] [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Roy,

i was an out of shape 43 year old 3 years ago..once i got sick and before diagnosis i started weight watchers. i didn't want to hear how it was my weight causing the issues. So that was a good start. my eating habits were in good order before i started abx.

My routine started as light walking for 30mins in Sept . Each week or two i might walk a little faster. Then in Dec i wondered if i could jog so i lightly ran for 3 minutes which led to a mile by the end of January. i then saw this 70 year old woman doing pull-ups and figured if she can do them so can i. It is an assisted pull-up(lets not get crazy).

My body seemed to handle that and i could feel myself get stronger so i kept added some milage and some additional weight work. i now run 2 miles every other day and lift on the same day. One day working arms and back, one day chest and triceps and day and then shoulders and legs.

Roy...your day will come ...i wouldn't say it if i didn't believe it. This thing is the devil as far as i'm concerned so you can't give it any edge. if you can't work out right now figure out what you can do...this disease will tell you that you can't do many things. This disease lies to us...so maybe right now you can make sure you don't eat any sugar and have a good diet. That's a good start.

Okay lets be clear i've used a lot of ice packs in the past few months. And none of this is easy...if the only thing you've exercised is your WILL then you've done something.

This all started for me as a crazy notion that if Lyme wants to rob a year of my life than i will tack on two at the end and die at 88 instead of 86 ... [Smile] .....crazy thinking i know ...but do whatever you have to to stay motivated.

Dave

--------------------

Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DaveNJ,

I can relate a lot to that. Before my illness, I was a sedentary smoker. I too started to lose weight and also quit smoking and more, because I was afraid of my doctors dismissing me.

Since last fall, I can't seem to lose more weight. While I can exercise, I don't have normal stamina/energy and have lots of "down time." But I do my best to keep fighting it.

I hope to emerge from this better than when I went in, that goal keeps me focused. I can't control a lot of what is going on with my LD, so the few things I can do to make a difference mean a lot!

Great post, very motivational! My 5 K time was way worse, about 40 minutes. But, despite my being an obese Lyme patient, I jogged the whole way, no walking breaks.

Since I'd never done anything like this before, and never jogged before I got sick, I'm still happy about it.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hezzer926
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hezzer926     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was also there.. I walked it in an hour... I had around 15 people w/me which was great to have the support. I hope I can run it next year!
Posts: 245 | From East Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Wonko,

totally awesome ...and great post...next time you'll do it in 39 minutes. you have a similar approach as i do and it has served me well..so far. don't worry about the weight....that will come as your activity increases.

Hezzer....we really blew it we should have all found a way to meet as there were a few of us there....glad you did the walk and with such wonderful support. i was the guy who made the IDSA shirt that said I Don't See Anything.

Got a few smiles from that shirt.

Dave

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement