LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Daughter's Progress

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Daughter's Progress
kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, this has been SOME month! It couldn't be more bi-polar. Losing mom, but finding that my daughter may be heading for remission soon.

A couple of weeks ago, some family friends offered for my daughter to come out and visit them in Illinois. They would take her to Chicago so she could see the Steppenwolf theater.

Back up three years: My daughter was so sick, that sitting up on the couch, with two foam pads and a pack of pillows was the most she could do. This lasted for almost two years.

When she started treatment, she would gauge her progress based on how long it took to get ready for the doctor's appt. She would have to take Meclizine just to ride in the car without getting sick.

She would sit on the couch and cry that life was passing her by and that she should hang up her dreams of ever leaving home and having a life. She stopped talking about attending classes at the Steppenwolf theater, or even getting an education.

This is to give people hope: She now has 50 credit hours under her belt. She has been given a personal invitation to be on the speech and debate team (memorize a ten minute speech? YEP) The speech team will travel. Next spring, Berlin.

But, this is the biggie. As she boarded the airplane BY HERSELF to fly to Illinois WITHOUT MOM! It's been seven years since I haven't been by her side taking care of her.

TODAY, she attended a play at the Steppenwolf Theater. She sat in a car for three hours to get there. She went to the Navy Peer tonight (she was exhausted, but she did it).

Tomorrow, free day to see Chicago. She will be home Wednesday.

She may have to be wheeled off the plane when she arrives, who knows? But, she hasn't called me at all since yesterday morning. That means she is busy and having too much fun to think of mom.

And that's a good thing!

She also may have grown two inches since her autoimmune titers have normalized. That can mean she is now producing human growth hormone, which will repair muscle and lessen her pain.
We'll confirm with the doctor.

If this doesn't set her back too badly, she may be heading for remission.

Three and a half years to get to this point. Yippee.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sharing with you and your joy.

I hope she had a great time.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymephobic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymephobic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a wonderful story!

I have tears in my eyes reading...

Wishing you and your daughter a Happy & Healthy future!

Posts: 193 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, tears of Joy!!! Wonderful, thanks for posting.

Hugs to you also, Jane

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how about that!
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelmo,

That is wonderful. I hope that everything continues along the present path. You must be overjoyed.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fighter
Member # 20170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for sharing, kelmo.

it gives me hope.

i hope it's okay for me to ask: how old is your daughter now? when did she get sick?

fighter

Posts: 34 | From Airmont NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what a great story kelly! thx for sharing xoxox
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelmo,

This is great!

[Smile]

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zebco 33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zebco 33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelmo,

I am so very happy for you. Yay.Yay.Yay.

Your such a brave and wonderful mom and I'll be giving God prayers of Thanks for you both.

Peace and Hugs....Connie [group hug]

Posts: 145 | From Paris, Tn. | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael_Venice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so happy to hear this.

And Steppenwolf is such a great theater group.

Congratulations.

Posts: 322 | From Venice, CA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep us posted on her progress! Here's hoping she gets through this just fine and is on her way to remission!!!!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is nice to see someone beat this.
Posts: 743 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She will be home in a couple of hours, so we'll see if she has a big let down from the adreniline rush over the past couple of days.

I spoke to her yesterday and she said she has had a consistent pain level of about 2. She takes three Tramadol/daily, which is a step down from Vicodin and percocet, which she took for a year.

She said she walked miles around Chicago because her friend kept getting lost. She took care of herself and listened to her body.

Our friends said she made a remarkable improvement over a year ago when they last saw her. They said they had to keep reminding themselves that she was sick.

Hoping that next year will bring total remission.

Keep you posted.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awesome story....

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It warms my heart to hear how well your daughter is doing.

She obviously has a fighting spirit and great determination.....

and of course, a wonderfully loving Mom!

Congratulations!!!!!!

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
venus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for venus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing. It gives us all hope!

Kathy

--------------------
Severe neurological problems. Probably sick for years. Became chronically sick in Aug 2007. Undiagnosed for another 15 months. Started treatment for lyme and bart Sept. 2008. Improving, but very slowly.

Posts: 515 | From washington dc | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

She has been home for 24 hours. As soon as we got home, we changed and went to the funeral home for my mother.

Today, we were up early for the funeral. It's almost 9pm and we just got home.

She had a full week of nonstop, and she still has a smile.

She had to take her tramadol three times a day, but she has not take her antibiotics for a week.

She's starting back up, however.

This is GOOD.

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great news Kelmo,,give her an atta girl!!

I have been away so I missed your mothers passing,,,be sure we are all thinking of you and your loss.

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Don....thank you so much.
bettyg
Unregistered

kelly, that's great she is doing so well!!

this sad day is over, and so emotionally draining; best wishes in the days, months, and years ahead! [Smile] xox

kelmo
Member # 8797

Because I have been running on adrenaline the past two weeks, it caught up with me today. I couldn't move. Felt a little weepy.

Daughter is doing okay...we just veged on the couch.

She didn't get to eat well back there. The friends only eat out, no food at home. She had also given up meat for a while, so her diet was limited.

When I saw her she had gray shadows under her cheekbones. She looks a little better today.

She said she really felt bad on the plane flight. Is that normal?

kelmo
Member # 8797

Daughter started back on antibiotics the day after she got home. (5/27)

Herx hit today! I sent her back to bed.

So...she had a good week.

bettyg
Unregistered

glad you are resting up from the stress of the last 2 weeks...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement