LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » So, what DO you do when you run out of money for treatment? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So, what DO you do when you run out of money for treatment?
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My opinion is to self-treat. If you don't have any other options, why not? You can get antibiotics in Mexico. If you can't do that, you can take herbs, many people do well. Samento, cumanda, teasel -- some of Buhner's protocols.

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abbyjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbyjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been able to sell my homemade items through etsy. It is a on-line business for all

things hand made to sell. If you have a talent, you should check it out. I'm able to work from

home and it has really helped us pay for treatment.

--------------------
abbyjo

Posts: 255 | From Southern CA. | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to drop a note to let you all know how much I appreciate all your suggestions, advice, and care. And I do. [group hug]

I've been off all meds and supplements for about 2 months. I decided to let my body go back to "baseline" and see what was what.

I feel amazingly good, all things considered. Still tired, but the bone-crushing fatigue is gone. Have a few neuro things going on and those are my biggest concern right now.

But I don't feel 'sick'. Most of my physical sx went away soon after stopping the meds. No sign of relapse so far. *knock wood*

I'm not sure if all this was really a TBI or something else since I got exponentially worse while on meds and nothing got better, even after IV abx.

All my previous testing was negative, except for a barely (and I mean barely) positive IgM from Igenex. I know the testing isn't even remotely accurate, but it does make me wonder.

I have appts with 2 neuros next month to see if they can figure anything out. One of them tests for pathogens that can cause neuro sx, so maybe I'll get a confirmation of the lyme dx after all.

The feeling right now is sort of like waiting for the other shoe to drop. If it was a TBI after all, if/when will I relapse? If it wasn't, what is it?

Just thinking out loud here. I don't expect anyone to agree with what I've done/am doing and please don't slam me for it. These choices are based on what I think is right for me, based on my circumstances - the same way everyone else makes their choices.

Anyhoo, thanks again! [Smile]

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear that not being on meds has worked out for you. I hope it continues.

I have tried several times stopping meds and have had symptoms I have forgotten about returned.

I am about to go into the no med zone possibly msyelf. So, hoping I do as well as you are doing and it continues.

It would be interesting to start up a post on those who have gone off meds and see how they have done.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just checking in with you to see how you are doing. Still OK while off meds??
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 4 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just went to The Citizen's Briefing Book and you Can Still Vote !!!!!

I just went to do a few votes and it allowed me to do so...

http://citizensbriefingbook.change.gov/

(it only lets One Vote per person's email per Topic, but you may also register under a different email for More Votes)

(search for keyword Lyme)

Also, the Take Action on Lyme Disease Epidemic is clearly NOT over yet,

This campaign is targeting your Governor, members of your State Senate, members of your State House, the President of the United States, members of the US Senate and members of the US House of Representatives.

here is the direct link...

http://healthcare.change.org/actions/view/lyme_disease_epidemic#letter_form

and here for Free Equal Health Care For All...

http://healthcare.change.org/actions/view/free_equal_health_care_for_all

Please get Everyone involved, friends, neighbors, family, coworkers, groups, and anyone else you may think of.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Eric

Posts: 570 | From philadelphia, pa | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

jblral just posted this link at another web:

http://www.lymedisease.org/news/touchedbylyme/index.1.html

and

http://www.lymedisease.org/news/touchedbylyme/64.html

TOUCHED BY LYME: Financial help for Lyme drugs?

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Rife machine is about the cheapest way to treat Lyme. For the money, it is one of the most effective treatments. The longer you use it the cheaper it is compared to other methods which get more expensive as you use up more products.

Make sure you have one long before you are out of doctors and money.

We have insurance and have not used a doctor or single pharmaceutical antibiotic and have had very good results using products such as Samento, Cumanda, MMS, and Spiro. Even so, the Rife machine has been, and still is our mainstay.

It can allow you to stay normal enough to keep a job and try other things if you choose.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pmerv
Member # 1504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pmerv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you do doxy if you can get by on it, it is very cheap.

--------------------
Phyllis Mervine
LymeDisease.org

Posts: 1808 | From Ukiah, California, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jt345
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is alot of good info here but,anyway You cut it. It is not cheap trying too treat an illness that is not even belived in by the mainstream medical world.

I have lost everything but,my wife and a few friends. Face up to the fact that life is not fair,dig in and try too stay alive.

Most of all try too help eachother with out being asked. Every person deservs their dignity,with out that we are all blobs of flesh.

Offer before someone asks ,spare them the embrassament,of having too crawl like a gut shot pup.

Face the fact that the mainstream medical world would just as soon see You (We just go away. The world has not changed in 2000 years Jesus said "the poor will always be with you. But he also said :What ever You have done to the least of these You have unto Me"

Keep on fighring the sestym,fight for fair treatment(good luck There). But most of all do not forget where You came from. We all will dye someday,that's a fact

I am truely sickined too see people,in such dire straigts. I have lost my train of thought, the only thing that rings in my ears ,are these words treat each other as You would want too be treated Yourselves.

I see this movement as being close too breaking throught,but if we gain medical treatment rights and leave all of our wounded and sick by the side of the road .what good is it.

I know there are wealthy people here and poor alike. Just reach out too eachother. Part with some of your fourtone ,and be willing too swallow some pride too get help. But do not .do not rely on the government too help you. It will not happen in our lifetime.

This is only what I see, my take could be completly wrong ,or I could be 100% right . It dose not matter ,what matters is that You all love each other.
be as well as You can be today
appleseed

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

appleseed, well said my friend! xox
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D Bergy what is the cheapest palce to purchase Cumanda, Spiro, and MMS? What is MMS and Spiro...brand name?
Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know where the cheapest place is to get any of these products. I bought the Cumanda from Nutramedix. The Spiro was sold to us by a homeopathic doctor. I am not sure if it is available to non healthcare people.

Miracle Mineral Supplement is what MMS stands for and what name it is sold under. The price varies, but it is pretty cheap for how long it lasts.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by troutscout:
[QB] Lets see.....$13,500 in bills last month alone.

Yep...that about sums it all up.

trout [Wink]

Fighting back...one spirochete at a time. ]

Oh my God trout, I hope you have a net income of 100,000$ right?
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to Bridges to Access for free Mepron, Augmentin, Ceftin. Go through the list of their medicines. You must not have insurance, and you have to meet eligibility requirements, you can read about that on the website.

http://www.bridgestoaccess.com/about/program_description.html

The Partnership for Prescription Assistance offers a single point of access to more than 475 public and private patient assistance programs, including more than 180 programs offered by pharmaceutical companies
https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php

There is also
http://www.myfreemedicine.com/

and

www.needymeds.org

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe it or not, this issue is actually happening to me now. My solution? Sell "big" things that I don't use, that bring big money. I can pay for my treatment, and someone else gets something nice.

I'm trying to get approval from moderators to actually make the sale here if I'm permitted.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tai
Member # 10022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After 30 yrs undiagnosed, then abx for 8 mos (40 symptoms down to 15), then Dr. Zhang's protocol (down to 4), I'm now on colloidal silver (down to 1). If I had it to do over, I'd begin with the silver. The abx affected my liver and silver has no side effects. You can get it at any health food store or online. I've read the mesosilver is the best and plan to switch to it. I also have a friend who went blind with Lyme and is now fully functioning using silver only. He also reports treating a dog near death from LD and the dog is now healthy. It's relatively cheap and definitely worth trying. I start with 4T daily until I can taste it, then drop down as symptoms fade. But search it here for how others have dosed first. At this point I only use it when symptoms flare.

Dr. Zhang's treatment also uses lots of allicin (garlic) so I agree with another poster on trying just the garlic as well. Warning: those around you may find your "perfume" objectionable.

I also use tonic water to treat my leg cramps.

Also important: Heat up your body with: exercise, hot showers, hot tub, sauna, whatever you have access to. Detox, detox, detox to help boost your body's response to fighting this d*** thing. Take probiotics as well. You also may need to supplement with vit D (get tested to see if you're low).

If you're not on abx, I believe sunshine really helps, plus it feels good on the joints. Swim in salt water. Breathe the cleanest air you can find. Avoid eating sugary foods, or those that your body turns to sugar. This will lessen a lot of the nasty things that go on in your body resulting from LD, such as yeasties, plus I think it may help starve the spirochetes?

Do continue to search this site for any of the suggestions folks have offered you, because everyone is affected differently. You may find someone with similarities to your case and learn what worked best for them. You may be pleasantly surprised at how well you do on your own. But even if you're self-treating, please still have your bloodwork done to chart your progress and nip anything in the bud that may arise. I wish you the very best. Please keep a positive attitude and share your progress.

Posts: 4 | From MD | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Methods of coping with Financial Burdens compiled by Melanie Reber & others

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/35162?#000000

[ 05-31-2009, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: bettyg ]

SeaLady
Member # 20467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SeaLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I am new on here, but was on one of the Lyme Yahoo groups for a while, I am surprised that no one on here mentioned a fairly common protocol for treating and beating lyme.....

Sea Salt and Vitamin C - in large quantities. Sea Salt is actually pretty good for us, can even lower High Blood Pressure, table salt makes you retain water, Natural Sea Salt (not available at the grocery store) let's your body use the water available to them and hydrate your cells.

So a tsp of sea salt (I have put mine in juice or in empty capsuls) and 6 - 10,000 units of Vitamin C spreadout over the day.

This is really a pretty cheap method, Redmonds Sea Salt is about $6.00 for a 2 lb bag and I buy 1000 mg pills of Vitamin C and it is maybe 20.00.

So for about 22.00 a month you can try this. From what I read the spirochettes can't live in the salty environment.

I used this method along with the adrenal protocol, something did work for a couple of months, but when i started running out of the Adrenal protocol I just stopped using most all of it.

I also found out I am full of candida so am treating for that as well.

Good luck.

Posts: 8 | From USA, Melbourne Beach Fl | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KimDC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KimDC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FREE/REDUCED-COST CARE FOR CHRONIC LYME PATIENTS

CLINIC OF ANGELS
9804 N. 56th St.
Tampa, FL 33617

(813) 980-1236

I was given a card from this clinic. It's run by an LLMD. I haven't used this clinic, so I can't tell you how good they are.

I hope this is helpful.

Kim

--------------------
Misdiagnosed with CFS for 7 yrs. Diagnosed by LLMD in 2009. Aggressive treatment for 3 years with minimum improvement.

Posts: 120 | From FL | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DLC4lyme
Member # 20937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLC4lyme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea me to
I have no insurance

no work compensation

after i beg for bill money

and emergancy help from all the locales

I can barly get some food for my wife and kid

I have to let meds go to do that

whe're soon to be homless

And i'm to sick to do anything about it

I just take it one day at a time

and leave the rest to God

I'v done all I can do

It breaks my heart to let my six year old

daughter down.

I'm not even able to do free stuff with her.

we'll hang one and keep praying

he has got me this far

You have my empathy

LOL

--------------------
David Cummines

Posts: 35 | From Gastonia NC | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

finally hope,

please copy your last post at 141 am and start it in MEDICAL

subject: Can lyme disease be cured & stop taking meds?

then please tell us about how long you've had lyme and which meds you've been on for how low ... thanks

now please delete the one i noted above from this link...
click on pencil, 3rd box to right of your name
go to top left corner and click delete post ...

ignore moderator's comment. huge thanks [Wink] hugs

shorty31
Member # 21903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shorty31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by troutscout:
I figured out how to make money while sick...yet not be tied down to hours. This past twelve months I have brought in more than my wife...and I was sicker than hell the whole time.

here's the problem......whenever...I try to help peole on this website make enough to pay their bills also....(I was deathly ill guys).....the "Administrators" of this site....edit me off....

Its lularky that I am NOT allowed to share my secrets.....with those that suffer as I do.

What a shame...what a shame.

Trout [Wink]
PS...In fact with market as bad as it is....I CAN'T KEEP UP WITH DEMAND!

Posts: 9 | From lansdale pa | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shorty31
Member # 21903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shorty31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Troutscout
I could really use that secret but your mailbox is full.

Posts: 9 | From lansdale pa | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cap67
Member # 21923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cap67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new and I see you have alot of replies already, I was just wondering do you qualify for any kind of help from the state where you are??? IE: health insurance through the state?? It has saved my backside for over 4 years. However they are taking it away now and I am in the same boat as far as the doctors, paying them, paying for rx's...how in the world will we manage, we live on my husbands disability which is just over 2 grand a month. by the time we pay bills, we are lucky if we have 300 or so to live on for the whole month. I have been trying to get SSD for almost 5 years. I just understand your frustration, fear etc...Cap
Posts: 25 | From Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gridmonster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gridmonster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This Lyme clinic is run by an established LLMD. His charity has been established to finacially aid patients in need of treatment.

He's well known.

www.ClinicOfAngels.org

Posts: 135 | From Orlando, Florida | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Also posted in Medical)

I found this website that helps people who cannot

pay for their meds.

Patient assistance program

There are so many programs available to help and

so many meds available. Income charts also on

website. There are a lot of programs and may

seem overwhelming to some.

Also, a site for discount meds at in your local

area is:

your RX card

They only ask for your name and email address.

RX cards give you a number and you can print the

card on your printer. You can then search for

meds at local area pharmacies and check prices.

Biggest savings is on generics on your rx card

I hope this helps someone. [Smile]

Elaine

Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebrained
Member # 22066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebrained     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i haven't posted on here for a very very long time!! my heart goes out to you as i will be in the same situation shortly....i too don't agree to self medicate..esp if you are like me and haved herxes that constantly wind you up in the ER...it's bad enough that even when you ARE being treated by a lyme dr, they won't speak to the ER drs because of fear of being "discovered" but if you treat yourself and have no dr at all to even mention and wind up in the ER, how scary!!!

Also...i must say I am also among those who do NOT agree to give up everything you have to treat this...I pretty much did (almost) and now I am still not well, my credit is in the toilet and now I cannot afford to do any more treatment and I have adrenal failure and not being on abx is probably going to ultimately kill me.

Before I gave up everything for treatment, on my good days (which were still few and far between) my husband and I used to go listen to music or take some day trips or just do some stuff to enjoy the few days I was feeling better. Now, we are completely broke and we have no money for stuff other than the bare necessities and since most of my friends deserted me and us, we don't have any socialization at all other than each other and it has ripped apart our marriage (we now have no fun in our lives and worry about money all day and night and don't sleep...my point...i am still very ill and even more so and now after all the money i spent and money we borrowed, lost house, and more, my quality of life is much worse because we can't even do anything remotely enjoyable and we are in a much worse situation than before.

Taking a break from meds is something we all have to do for a while...i have done it...for me...i had a steroid nightmare and now I can NEVER be off abx so i don't know how I will ever take a break off them...dr said with my dependence on steroids and now facing a life long issue of being even more immune suppressed,(long story), the risks of my not being on anything antibiotic wise is much worse than the herx I can have on them but i need the steroids to live at this point.

Lyme just plain sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

My heart goes out to you and every one of you on this board. Noone should not be able to get treatment for a serious life threatening illness due to inability to pay...this is something even my other chronically ill friends without lyme cannot understand..they say "a dr must treat you regardless...they took an oath"....they don't understand that all goes out the window with lyme, as does alot of other stuff that is afforded those with legitimized and respected chronic illness.

Gentle hugs.

--------------------
Sick for 20 yrs+,dx'd 10 yrs ago fibro/cfs & hashimotos.dx 4 yrs ago w/neurolyme,recent adrenal failure, recurrent spinal cord injury,probable ankylosing spondylitis. Unable to get treatment & severe Cognitive, psych & physical symptoms progressing.

Posts: 82 | From az but moving to ft lauderdale, florida= plantation. fl | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebrained
Member # 22066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebrained     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also i meant to mention that people are very quick to recommend medicaid/achss and state aid (especially folks with other chronic illness) but the fact is, as someone stated, the tiny handful of lyme drs that even TAKE any insurance will not take state ins and many are also dropping medicare patients....so a government system that is set up to help the ill once again does not count for us.

Also..to qualify for those patient assist programs, you have to make VERY little and if you are married and spouse makes a good living (even though all of his salary goes to paying off medical bills), they will not take into consideration...they only take monthly income and not debt into consideration when determining eligibility for those programs...

--------------------
Sick for 20 yrs+,dx'd 10 yrs ago fibro/cfs & hashimotos.dx 4 yrs ago w/neurolyme,recent adrenal failure, recurrent spinal cord injury,probable ankylosing spondylitis. Unable to get treatment & severe Cognitive, psych & physical symptoms progressing.

Posts: 82 | From az but moving to ft lauderdale, florida= plantation. fl | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cap67
Member # 21923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cap67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear what your saying! We make just enough to disqualify us from getting any kind of help. I have managed to find someone to help with the cost of the lyrica, nexium and my antidepressant but it is still costing me money. I just picked up 3 rx's and just those 3 were over $176.00. I am on like 10-13 meds already. I just lost my state insurance and we were barely making it month to month before we had to pay for all this ourselves. The system has never seemed to work in my favor...sorry to hear your in the boat you are, it sure makes me think twice about getting tested again ( and possibly treated ). wishing you all the best...cathy
Posts: 25 | From Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

NEED HELP PAYING FOR MEDICINE?

this applies to ALL medicines for whatever disease!!

i just got home from visiting with LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, LARRY MATHEWS, representing DIABETES patients, on the

PARTNERSHIP FOR PRESCRIPTION ASSISTANCE bus traveling nationally all over here in town today for 2 hrs. only, 10-12-09!!

they gave me the following info and i'm just going to type it up so it goes here and other places:

SERVICE TO AMERICA

since the alunch of PPA in april 05, more than 5.7 million americans have found programs that can help them pay for their medicines. thousands more find help every single day.

if you do NOT have prescription coverage and can NOT afford your medicines, call

1.888.4ppa-now or 1.888.477.2669 or visit

www.pparx.org

more than 2400 brand-name and generic medicines are covered. you could get them FREE OR NOREARLY FREE!

EXPRESS SERVICE

here's how you find out if you qualify:

1. know the NAMES and dosages of the medicines you take.

2. call toll free 1.888.477.2669

3. a trained specialst will answer your questions and help you apply.

fyi: there are 10 questions asked. i'm copying this OTHER info since it is apparently DIFFERENT FOR ALL 50 STATES!!

Medicaid/Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

There are currently millions of uninsured and financially-struggling patients in America eligible for help through Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) who have not yet enrolled.

Significant health care gaps exist in the U.S. today because low-income patients do not have access to the healthcare coverage they need to better fight disease.

The Partnership for Prescription Assistance is raising awareness of these programs to help ensure that patients get access to the coverage they need to live longer, healthier and more productive lives.

Pick Your State
Get an Application
ApplyInstructions

To find out if you qualify for help, select the state on the map where you live.

The state programs will be shown with a short summary below the map.

To find out more details about that program click on the program name.

The program details will open a new window where you can see the program information including how to apply for the program.

In most states, you can complete a short application and send it through the mail. Applications should NOT be sent to PPA.

plus this info from

ADW AMERICAN DIABETES WHOLESALE

http://www.americandiabeteswholesale.com/-strse-template/contact/Page.bok

so check this out too! hugs/kisses

hope many of you will find success in your meds for LYME/CO-INFECTIONS!
***************************************** [Smile]

catnippy
Member # 18641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catnippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK guys don't get mad at this idea!!!

But pretend to rob a bank or something maybe less dangerous to others. Prisoners get great medical benefits from what I have heard.

Make sure it is a large felony because i have also heard they let lesser offenses out to save medical bills.

I saw a show where this man accidentally got put in jail for using too much pain meds and was accused of distributing.

Then he FINALLY, thanks to the state prison system, got a morphine pump, which is what he needed but could not afford.

This was a documentary.

Sorry again to all I offend with this suggestion!

Posts: 50 | From Charleston, SC | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Free Prescription drug help for NY State

This info might help some of you get your meds easier.
Other states check into programs like this.

NY State residents:

apply online:
http://nyprescriptionsaver.fhsc.com

Free Pharmacy discount card that can lower the amount of fees by 60 percent on generics and 30 percent on name brands

Who can Join:
NY State residents who are NOT receiving medicaid AND are:

Disabled OR

anyone with an income under $35,000 if single, and $50,000 if married

anyone over 50

Hope that helps!!!

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just called the Rocephin manufacturer, Roche/Genentech- there is no longer a prescription assistance program for Rocephin.

However, some other IV drugs are made by manufacturers with various kinds of prescription assistance programs. The manufacturer of IV Azithromycin has a discount card that they give to qualifying individuals (up to 400% of federal poverty level), and I'm still trying to find out if that's actually cheaper than shopping around.

PPARX has good info on their website, lots of folks talked about it in the thread above.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did some research on fundraising for expenses, and while I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, I did find this website of a Lyme patient's family, in which the man's wife wrote about how she negotiated his bills with the hospital afterwards:
ideas for how to fundraise privately for bills- donations via Paypal from friends, or asking friends to donate items to be auctioned via eBay:
http://www.friendsofjosephmoore.com/2009_08_01_archive.html
Ways they dealt with the hospital bills afterwards, with some really creative ideas on how to find out what hospitals might be willing to accept in lieu of 'full' payment:
http://www.friendsofjosephmoore.com/2009_12_01_archive.html

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

I was told by my lyme doc that I would need to cancel medicaid in order to get the meds from med programs.

So, limping along right now with the biaxin that the primary doc is providing via medicaid.

thankful for that.

Trying to consider other alternatives but have yet to come up with something do able at this time.

lemonlime
Member # 25975

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonlime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why it's hard to get rid of lyme and co bacterias?
Biofilm- yep because these critters hide and protect themselves in it. It's like fibrin.

Boosting the immune system is vital forever.

Lyme and co infections and typically virus's are all involved. And all must be dealt with. Even parasites since they carry some of these critters too.

MY understanding of what may have to be done if lyme and co bacterias, are found ? Simplified:
Biofilm which protects these critters has to be broken down, Detoxing of neurotoxin and Heavy metals. Of course boosting the immune system, and antibiotics.

Also google pharmacy discount groups- there are many groups offering free discounts cards which bring down over the counter meds some up to 70%.
Apply for all of them one might help more than another depending on the meds. You call and compare -tell the pharmacy which cards you have and they will compare all of them for the best price. I hope this helps.

Posts: 29 | From arizona | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellephant
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellephant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just the thread i need! i am in the same boat as you...
Posts: 220 | From Kansas | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellephant
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellephant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shosty,

what about those of us who have insurace, but bad insurance? i have beech street insurance through my husbands work... but it hardly covers anything! we had to drive over an hour just to see a regular doctor that beech street covers, he wasn't even a specialist, and even with my insurance, i paid $100 out of pocket. he wasn't even a good doctor, so i just have to keep looking. going from doctor to doctor with lousy insurance really adds up! and i'm pretty sure i can't qualify for better insurance considering i already have some.

Posts: 220 | From Kansas | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellephant
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24885

also, i think a lot of our spouses make just enough to disqualify us from help from the government. if i wasn't so sick my husband would make enough for us to get by... but that's simply not the case because of my medical needs.

i've been sick since i was 15. my husband and i are in our early twenties so we don't have any savings to fall back on. i've been sick the entire time i've known him.

we have nothing valuable to sell... we don't even own a table. we JUST bought a bed after being married for almost 5 years... we get by on the bare minimum already, so it feels pretty hopeless.

the only family members who can afford to help us financially are the ones who don't even believe i'm sick.

*sigh*

littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Qualifying for help in some states is just ridiculous. Some don't take into account your bills just the income. No one takes into account that my mortgage payment is $1000/month in a town where the normal mortgage is $700. My ex husband defulted on the loan and I'm left to clean up the mess. I own the house now though, he's off the deed thank god.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 7 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are SO many positive ideas presented here! We need to stay open-minded, optimistic, and keep lookin' for the end of the rainbow.

I found a shiny penny on the sidewalk as I crept up to the front door for my very first appt with a LLMD. I picked it up and gratefully pocketed this cheery sign (heads up!) that the Universe provides as I keep making the effort to survive, thrive, and help others as I am able.

Blessings all!
Smile [spinning smile]

Searching_To_Rescue
Member # 28988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Searching_To_Rescue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read through every response on this thread and I'm purely just in awe of how bad things are or can be.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do because if you can say "flat broke" thats what I am, I'm really young, have absolutely no money, no family, and that old stand in "you'll find out who your friends are" has really came in handy. In a day or two I'll be getting discharged from the rehab hospital I'm currently in, and I have no place to go, and will literally be on the street.

the worst part is that I'm in a wheelchair and can't walk at all, I don't know how I'll get around or anything like that, and I'm in massachusetts where its 30 degrees or so right now, and very few homeless shelters. I'm a fan of social services, But I just Dunno what to do right now.

--------------------
Is currently undergoing treatment with doxycycline & ceftriaxone.

Also + for anaplasmosis :|

~Just because I'm sick doesn't mean I can't make beautiful music~ (still bowing away)

Posts: 15 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Searching....can you contact social services at the rehab hospital, or with the county to see what help you might get for housing, food. Welfare? Surely the rehab hospital won't just dump you out on the street in a wheelchair.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Searching, what part of Massachusetts are you in? Here in Massachusetts you have a long list of things to help you:

Read through this: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pgm/links_disability.htm

Then: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/11130.html

And finally this will help you get specific in your needs, ranging from finding a home, legal advice, food stamps, fuel assistance, Personal Care Assistant programs thru STAVROS, etc.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2constituent&L=2&L0=Home&L1=Consumer&sid=Eeohhs2

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Each state has a .gov website, such as mass.gov, ct.gov, nyse.gov, etc

Go to the governmental website, and look through the sections on health, medical, housing, disability, food, assistance programs.

Every state provides. If you have questions, call them up and tell them your story briefly. i.e. "On husbands insurance, but have a chronic illness and finances are strained too far, need some help finding something we're eligible for, any ideas?"

You get the point. It's what you say that opens doors. So just keep it simple.

--------------------

glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Search to Rescue...not sure how it is in Mass. But, I went from $50,000 a year income and money in the savings to no income and quickly draining the savings.

Through word of mouth, I learned about low income housing or apartments.

I was told which ones they were. Went there and filled out applications for each apartment and got on a waiting list.

But, I did hear from one lady in CA who contacted housing and got into a place right away because she was much like you are...in the hospital with no place to go.

She even got help with furnishings...but not sure how that worked.

As far as transportation...try to find a place that has public transportation.

Here it is the senior center.....they include those with disabilities ...no age requirement there. they have a lift for wheel chairs.

Each area is different.

It is tricky trying to find out what the services are and who to contact.

Most of the info I had was through word of mouth. Hopefully, the hospital will have someone there who can help you get connected.

it is scary. But, hang in there and keep knocking on doors.

I'd start with a search for low income housing in Mass and see what you come up with.

kam
Member # 3410

PS I keep getting this idea in my head to start a place for people to come to while they heal from lyme.

There is an abandoned boys ranch 3 miles outside of town that I use to think would be a great place.

It is slowly being destroyed by vandals (sp?)

NO ticks in this area yet either [Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement