LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » So I saw my GP.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So I saw my GP.....
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw my GP today, and it was absolutely dreadful. [Frown]

I had heard all the horror stories, but this guy has been the doctor for my grandparents, my parents, and pretty much my entire family.

I didn't know if he'd believe the Lyme diagnosis, but I hoped he'd consider other possible causes, at the least.

(If he tests for other things, and I don't have them, it's more support for the Lyme diagnosis)

He spend the entire appointment ridiculing me, and explaining how my symptoms were a) normal or b) imagined.

He said that the muscle twitching was caused by overtraining...right.

I have hardly been able to keep activie with my symptoms, let alone overtrain.

And it's not as if I can overtrain my eyebrow, or lip...

And he said "People get over Lyme", but that didn't matter, because Lyme doesn't exist here anyway...

I was going to perservere and tell him about the brain fog/disorientation, but when he said my vision problems were all in my head, I gave up.

I didn't think it was possible to right off vision problems as imaginary!

I was nervous beforehand anyway, because some of it is weird/crazy stuff (like the disorientation).

I cannot believe the way he behaved...

Even if it were all in head (its not), shouldn't he be trying to treat/find the cause?

Instead, he gave me Celebrex (Arthrotec bothered my stomach), and told me to come back when I had test results.

Then he suggested we bet on the outcome of the test results...

I am 20, and yet he sees nothing wrong with prescribing NSAID's like Arthrotec and Celebrex for months.

I never realized how depressing an experience like that can be...

It was so hard just to make the appointment, and consider talking to my doctor, and to have him laugh at me?

I can't afford alternative treatments, so antibiotics are my only option.

I know I have to keep aggressively following this until I find someone who will treat me, but I don't feel like I can do that again.

I here about the people who go from doctor to doctor to doctor, until they find someone who listens.

How do they do that? [confused]

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nicole, i'm so sorry for the rotten way you were treated.

see if you can make contact with other canadians; we are loaded with them here.

click on DIRECTORY at top,

go to 2nd blank line, type canada
next line use arrow and chose LOCATION,
click search

those on the bottom are the most current members ok.

get copies of ALL MEDICAL NOTES, labs, tests, etc. going into your files ALWAYS from everyone you see.

i'll let others chime in. hang in there & do NOT take that type of treatment; get it back on track why you came there. xox

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The treatment you received by your doctor was shameful, and unfortunately it is something all of us have probably experienced many, many times.

As hard as this is, it is best to move on. Chalk that visit up to a lesson learned and proceed with finding someone to really help you.

Can you travel to the US to see a LLMD? If so, go "Seeking a Doctor" and request a referral.

You may have already know this, but there is a wonderful website based in Canada. It is www.canlyme.org. I think they even have a forum so maybe you could ask for advice in finding a helpful doctor there too.

Best of luck to you. Please do not give up. You owe it to yourself to get better.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happened to catch Mystery Diagnosis last night, and I was in tears at the end of the show because of the very thing you talk about, and that many of us go through before diagnosis.

It's appalling how many doctors just brush off patients with odd symptoms and just assume it's all anxiety, depression, hormones, imaginary.

And it's not just Lyme sufferers; it's anyone who has oddball diseases that aren't common.

I heard a pre-med student say one time that they are taught "when you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras."

Meanning, don't think of unusual diagnoses, but think of something more common.

Well, I think they forget that sometimes the hoofbeats are zebras, and you need to thinkoutside the box.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
s0ngbird1962
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for s0ngbird1962     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And your experience is exactly why I haven't approached my sons primary physcian yet. I want to let him know that we've begun treating him for lyme. I don't necessarily expect he'll agree, but I think he needs to know if any issues arise.

:::sigh::: On the plus side for us though, is that my son does test positive for lyme. Hmmmm...wondering if I can ask Dr. J for a copy of that test to show the primary? Anyone else do that.

I really don't think you should give up... so sorry you were treated that way. As someone said, most of us have been there. Have been to Dr. to Dr. to Dr with my son. I have been told that it was a phase, anxiety, silent migranes, etc. despite his positive test.

--------------------
Mom to a 5 year old lymie....
Taking it one day at a time.

Posts: 182 | From Ipswich, MA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all of your replies and suggestions!

Leelee- yes, I've found the CanLyme page. They found me the naturopath who clinically diagnosed me.

Unfortunately, it is taking forever to get registered for their forum, so I haven't been able to post there yet.

I have (and am) considering going to see an LLMD in the US.

I just need to research and see if my health care plan would cover any of the costs.

I don't know if I'd be covered for a prescription I was given in the states.

I'll try to find other Canadians to ask about that.

I'm not giving up- I was just very upset yesterday, and needed to vent.

And I'm lucky enough that I have started this at a point when I am still able to function.

Of course, our medical system doesn't seem to keen on treating people until their problems are debilitating.

But better to be told I'm not sick enough than to be so sick I cannot get out of bed while still being told that "nothing" is wrong with me.

Good luck with your son, songbird! I hope your doctor is more understanding than mine!

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fighter
Member # 20170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry about that awful experience, Nicole Denise.

that is precisely the reason i'm so reluctant to go and talk with my doc.

as much as we *know* in our hearts and souls that what we're experiencing is real and true, it still hurt terribly to be told, by someone who supposedly knows what they're talking about, that it's all psychosomatic.

when u find out where to get the emotional armor necessary to just see dr after dr and not let their ridiculing get to you - please let me know!

i'll be the first to order it [Smile]

Posts: 34 | From Airmont NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
someone mentioned showing your postive WB igm/igg results to your gp....

i'm NOT a parent, but i would not!! this would possibly show the name of the llmd you are going to.

if this dr. believes in IDSA lyme guidelines, they could turn your llmd into that state's health dept.

again, this is my opinion only; have no background on this...gut feeling only [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicole,

Sorry that have had to endure ridicule at the hands of an insensitive and uneduated Dr.

You will always be taken seriously here, so keep posting.

You are smart enough to put together a plan for your recovery.

Make sure you study Dr B's guidelines and know exactly what to do/expect.

You'll see who has the last laugh.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. My lyme doctor (naturopathic doctor) told me to give my GP her card.

Of course- since she is a naturopath and not prescribing antibiotics, she doesn't have to worry about her losing her license.

But I was worried my GP might phone her to yell at her! (He hasn't yet)

I have another doctors appointment next week (different doctor), which I made months ago.

He's a sports med doctor, and I've been seeing him for my joint pain/tendonitis.

I have the option of asking him to refer me to someone else, or telling him about the Lyme...

But I'm terrified.

After all, if my family doctor didn't believe me, why would a doctor I've only seen 3 times...

If only I knew the doctors would actually listen to me, instead of just picking and choosing which symptoms they think are real.

Zebco 33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zebco 33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicole, I'm sorry you were treated so badly.

I'd have lyme rage right now, but I have a terrible headache.

Just preposterous. Absolutely unbelievable, yet so believable.

What happened to First Do No Harm? To laugh at a patient who is clearly sick with fear of these symptoms.......Shame on him.

Prayers for you tonight and Peace in your heart.

Posts: 145 | From Paris, Tn. | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

You clearly need a better doctor. Sorry you have to go through this.

Celebrex can cause some serious problems. Please reconsider that. There are much safer ways to treat symptoms and I hope you can also figure out a way to get proper assessment.

I've very tired and can't muster all that. Wait until you have some hope before reading the article below. It's visually hard to read but I just stumbled upon it and it's very helpful in validating what is happening.

Just remember - after reading it - to know that this can get better. Hold out for hope and we'll figure out a way to make this work.

--

http://cassia.org/checklist.htm

Symptom checklist for lyme.

-----------

http://cassia.org/essay.htm

When to Suspect Lyme - by John D. Bleiweiss, M.D.

===============================

Now, time for a little laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfMmnHpvL70

Mr. Bean Goes to the Swimming Pool - 5:05

-

[ 06-19-2009, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melodymaker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melodymaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband's nuerosurgeon said "Lyme can do anything". I wish more doctors knew that.

so sorry you had this bad experience Nicole. Wishing you showers of blessings, and a rapid connection with a Dr. who can help you.

Keep your chin up. They told me it was all in my head too, and I went misdiagnosed for 25 years. You're doing a great job at getting earlier treatment. dont' give up!!

--------------------
Wishing You Showers Of Blessings!
Lyme since Fall 1983 = Diagnosed Summer 2008
IV Rocephin 7 weeks Stopped due to drug fever
Now doxycycline
"For I know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 430 | From Sunny South | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have told so many of us that it's all in our head(that's until we find out we have Lyme)

Sending prayers your way Nicole!!!! =)

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Thanks for the warning Keebler- those side effects were one of the reasons I was so mad at my GP.

I have no intention of taking the celebrex.

I may have more joint pain that is normal for someone my age, but it hasn't gotten to the point where I want to be on full-blown arthritis medication!

And thanks again to everyone who replied. I made this point to vent, thinking that even if no one replied, it would make me feel better.

To have all this support is amazing. I'll be sending prayers right back to all of you tonight!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement