LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Exercise: Walkers/hikers/crawlers 6/22-6/28

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise: Walkers/hikers/crawlers 6/22-6/28
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Geri, I don't know about you but I am thinking of building an ark! Since it is going to rain again... my mom and I will be taking laps around Walmart again.

Yesterday we took a day trip to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. We walked on Sand beach. Which is not very big, but extra credit for walking in sand.

Hope every one has a good week!

Best,
Karen

Posts: 1687 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

These can be incorporated in a non-aerobic fashion, too:

http://www.courant.com/health/fitness/hc-he-swimside15-2009jun15,0,5552338.story

Water Exercise: Use Your Noodle

Water Workouts Get Better With Noodles, Buoys, Kickboards And Webbed Gloves

June 15, 2009

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the site keebler. Hoping to get a swim suit that fits next month and start back on water therapy.

geri and karen...looks like you just need to get your swim suit on and pick up your noodles and go with the flow. [Smile]

Your day trip sounds like fun Karen. I hope it was.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monday-Me and Rocky 2 1/4 miles today. Swim time for him.

Layed in the sun for awhile to bake some of the aches and pains I'm feeling today.

Overdid it with the grass cutting yesterday and am having some joint pain in my hips and shoulders.

Later all!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6145 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EtherealGirl
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I walked my dog today for the first time in years. It felt really good and I'm going to try to make a point to take him (and me) for a walk every day!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alaskan Lone Wolf..hope you recover from the grass cutting quickly.

Ethereal Girl...What is your dogs name?? Her's hoping you are able to have more enjoyable times walking him.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EtherealGirl
Unregistered

He's a 10 year old Siberian Husky named Sebastian, and he is my best friend.
Gerifrog
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerifrog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I'm sick of the rain... never thought a frog would complain about wet weather, did you? It's sunny (& hot) right now

but we're supposed to have T-storms later. Forgot how bright the sun is, my head can't take it [Frown]

Haven't done much yet. It's going to be a Dr week.

My Mom had an appt. for laser treatment on her eye yesterday. DH drove & I was her moral support.

Thursday I see the ID Dr. [Frown] Worried about that.

Fri. I go with my son to Albany, he's seeing an immunologist. They want to find a way to boost his immune system.

That's going to be a long day.

Karen - DH & I stayed in Arcadia a couple of years ago, it's beautiful. I'm glad we went while I could walk around.

Lone Wolf - When are you getting that riding mower? Hope you feel better fast.

EtherealGirl - I bet Sebastian was happy you felt up to walking with him.

Keebler - Being in the water sounds good, but without balance I don't know how I'd do. Maybe holding the side?

Kam - Finding a swimsuit in summer can be hard. They're selling back to school clothes. [loco]

Geri
-

Posts: 151 | From Kingston NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WElcome, Ethereal!

I walked 28 laps and did the weights and the usual stretches. That was Monday.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sebastian sounds beautiful!

Went to the mail box in the drizzle today. Then this afternoon we went to the big city and did a lap around the mall. My mom is 77 and walks faster than I do!

Keebler, I used to love swimming with noodles. I used it under my arms when I first got back into the pool. I had the water aerobic shoes on and used a noodle and basically jogged in the water. I liked it better than swimming the crawl.

Geri, pace yourself with all of the traveling. It would tire me out.

KAM, hope you are OK.

Good job, Lymetoo!

And Lou, just want you to know we are thinking of ya girl!

Aklnwlf, hope those sore muscles are better soon!

And Cathy, you are still with us!

Bedtime for this kiddo,
Karen

Posts: 1687 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Kind of out of it this am most likely due to yesterday evening.

Tues: 10 min loop in forest.

Then went to a place called stages in town. Sat on one of their chairs inside the doors and tried to get Rosie's harness on. Took me several tries.

Then Rosie and I walked to the women's something..oh yes...swim suits.

Tried on two swim suits.

Who is that person in the mirror. Swim suit shopping was unsuccessful.

Then we walked into walgreens and picked up some pics.

Very unusual for me to be able to walk into stores.

Thankful stores were empty for the most part and quiet.

Hot here all ready today. It did not cool down much last night either. I kept waking up too hot to sleep last night.

Time to put the air conditioner on I guess. Too bad I did not think of that in the middle of the night.

Didn't have what it took to get up and close windows and put it on though.

I have been taking Rosie out to toilet via the power chair in the mornings.

Looking forward to one of those mornings when I wake up before sunrise and am doing well enough to get up and be on the trail when the sun is just rising.

My favorite time of the day. With this heat, I was trying to find a swim suit so I could jump in one of the creeks first thing in the am.

I use to do that when I was backpacking. But, now that I think of it...not so sure I can handle that now. WE shall see.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swimsuit shopping. Now THERE'S something to be afraid of!!! [Big Grin]

I walked 26 laps. Don't know why it was less... just being wimpy, I guess!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EtherealGirl
Unregistered

You guys are all wonderful! Took Seb for another walk today and now we're both tired, lol.
kam
Member # 3410

Whatever evening this is: 10 min

Tonight I would need a swimsuit for a pregnant women...about 7 months pregnant.

The lighting was a treat in the forest this evening.

I also was even able to drink and drive....first time since lyme and company.

Iced Green Tea that is...it was tricky...mostly took a sip while at a stop sign.

kgg
Member # 5867

I get depressed when I swimsuit shop.

Miss Pris and I went to the mail. Things will get back to normal until the next set of company comes.

The humidity here is hanging at 98% This is the kind of stuff that turns me into a couch potato. Good thing it doesn't last all year!

Have a good day everyone!
Karen

kam
Member # 3410

Thursday am: nice to be out this am. Went to waterwheel (30 mph road out of town to mountain stream.

Est 20 min on feet. not really sure. Total outing was an hour so est 20 min to get there, 20 min back so leaving me 20 min on my feet??

WE almost had the place to ourselves. Only one camper and one guy fishing and another lady with two dogs on the trail.

So nice to be out before the heat comes. Not cooling down at night now.

Karen: don't think I could handle the humidity either. Hope it is short this year.

I am kind of out of it right now. I also took a shower this am before heading out.

So, body and brain need some rest before I can try and do something else.

We saw a coyote cross the road on the way back.

And tomorrow there will be too many campers in that neck of the woods so I will need to wait until the week day before heading out that way again.

[ 06-25-2009, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: kam ]

EtherealGirl
Unregistered

Today I'm paying for my 20 minute walk yesterday. Had to take a nap. Hate that!
Gerifrog
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerifrog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Wed. - Dan took me to Sam's Club for boxes and stuff he needed. His fiancee & her Mom are moving to another apt.

We went to Five Guys Burgers & Fries for french fries. With gastroparesis & celiac disease, I can't have them often.

Their food is excellent but expensive so I've only been a couple of times but I love french fries. They use peanut oil &

don't deep fry ANYTHING other than fresh potatoes (No risk of cross contamination). The lady before my son had her

order screwed up & refused it. They gave Dan the bag with 2 orders of fries free. He thanked them & bolted out,

ecstatic. He's the original cheepskate. We pigged out but I shouldn't have had them.

I went into A-fib while out & felt really bad when we got home. It finally converted back early this morning.

Today - Dan took me to my appt. with the ID duck. Yeah, it wasn't good. According to him, I DON'T have active Lyme.

The positive bands are the same ones I had last Aug and "They can give a false positive for up to 5 years." The 4 wks

abx I got last year "cured" me. He feels I should go back to the neuro duck (the one who told me I was nuts)! He's a

really nice man who is worried about me but he's IDSA... Argghh!!!! He wants to "talk" to my shrink, probably to

"explain" how I can't have Lyme as I told him she thought it was active again.

I'm just so down [Frown] and angry [Mad] and frustrated, all I want to do is curl up & cry.

I called my shrink but my PCP is closed Thurs., I'll call him Friday.

Geri
-

Posts: 151 | From Kingston NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Miss Pris and I went to the mail. I may get some weeding done but I am not sure. The humidity is high today and I don't do humidity! Aklnwlf, I don't know how you do it down south, pushing a lawn mower! My hat is off to you.

Etherealgirl, I used to have to nap from the activity I did too. At first I fought it and did not like that I had to rest. Now, I just roll over and go with the flow. If the body says nap, I nap...

Geri, your anger and frustration is certainly understandable! I am not sure how it can happen, but you need to see someone who is Lyme literate or at least Lyme friendly. You won't believe how healing it is to be understood by your health professional!! To be dismissed is discouraging. To be validated is healing. Please try to some how get to one. Do you have a name of someone in your area?

I know it is hard, but try not let this jerk ruin the rest of your day. Chalk it up to arrogance and ignorance. And do something good for yourself. I personally favor chocolate or a quiet hot bath. =)

Hugs to you both,
Karen

kam
Member # 3410

Geri...yep. I agree with Karen...get thee to a LLMD and give yourself some rest. I just got wore out reading about all you have been doing.

Etherealgirl...I agree with Karen here too. But, do understand. I too am still at the mixed feelings stage of finding I can't keep my eyes open after I have done something as simple as a 20 min walk or emptied the dishwasher, etc.

On the other hand, so thankful I had that 20 min walk or 10 in my case average and was able to empty the dishwasher.

Karen and Ms. Pris...glad you were able to go to the mail box and get outdoors for a bit.

Rosie and I went to Wallie World this am. 2 hr outing. Over an hour of it either waiting for the senior van or on it. Not good.

Got to go to plan B.

Good news is I found a swim suit for $20. As I was taking it to the checkout I almost put it back.

I wasnt' sure I had the courage to wear it. Kind of funny. I have the courage to fight lyme and company!

So, I must be getting better if I care about what I look like.

Resting now, then going to head across the street in my power chair and set up times for water therapy.

Hoping they will still agree with the $30 month fee that they offered me last December.

I also need to see how that works. Is it for once a week or every two weeks or ?

I do know I was going to be on my own with it and that is why they gave me the discount rate.

But, that is OK. I will figure out what exercises to do on my own and what my limits are.

Wondering if I will be able to put up with where I left off.

My hope is that I will be able to eventually get strong enough to swim at the local pool.

I tried that in the past and could not handle the water temp, noise, movement of others, or the walk in and out or getting there via my power chair.

The therapy pool is one that has the right water temp, no lights as I can turn them off...we shall see though because they moved across the street from me and I dont' recall seeing a window in the pool area as it was being built...OK brain is going.

Forgot what i was going to say. Going Going Gone.

aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved reading everyone's posts for this week.

Welcome to Etherealgirl and Sebastian! [Smile]

Gerifrog, I agree with the others that said to get to a LLMD. I wouldn't waste time or money on all the other ducks. Quack! Quack!

I went that route and it was a huge waste of my limited finances and valuable time.

Good luck there! [Smile]

Well, I'm still recovering from the grass cutting from Sunday.

Here's a redneck trick I've learned down here in Alabama to encourage myself to keep cutting grass.....

Cut a 4 foot branch off any tree, tie one end to the mower and a Budweiser to the other end.

Start the mower and try to get the beer... [Razz]

.......unfortunately, this is very effective down here.....even for me! [loco]

O.K. Yesterday bowled with neices and nephew, 2 games.

That's about all I've done for the week.

Was tired this week and am probably overdoing it.

Might try to do something this weekend.

Later gang!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6145 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EtherealGirl
Unregistered

OMG you guys, I've always heard that exercise is good for arthritis. My dog and I both have it, so I thought the walks would be beneficial. My poor baby though! After our walk the other day he had a horrible night! He couldn't stand up and just cried and cried. So that's it. No more walks for him. Must get glucosamine STAT!
kgg
Member # 5867

Oh, poor Sebastian! Yes, glucosamine does wonders for my parents lab. Miss Pris is allergic to it or she would be on it. My vet said that enteric coated Aspirin is OK to give too. He just did not want it given every day.

Walking is good for arthritis. But starting very slow probably would be called for.

I hope he feels better soon! How about you? Are you very sore too?

Best,
Karen

kam
Member # 3410

-

Had an interesting outing this evening. Passed by the guy above. (Hope the picture comes out)

If not his website is www.twomulesandawagon.com

I plan on going back to see where he started from. I know his destination is Phoenix, AZ.

His mules were grazing on the grass next to a gas station about a block away from me.

I stopped and took a picture and had considered talking to him until he came up and got right in my face to talk.

So, I walked over and took a picture of his mules and the neighbors came to talk with him.

About a block away I passed a high end motor home. It looked like it said Freight liner on the front.

I guess I need to do a search and see if they make motorhomes.

Then off to the trailhead. Only 5 min, rest...while I was sitting on the rock resting...

Rosie ran up the side of a hill and by some boulders and brought back the head of a bobcat.

It was covered in ants. Still had the eyes and fur, ears, etc.

Rosie was good. She dropped it when I told her. It helped that I had one of her favorite treats with me.

If I was doing better and had my hiking boots on I might have gone up the side of the hill to see if I could figure out how the bobcat died.

I knew there was one in the area. Other hikers had see it in the early morning and evening.

Guess I need to do a search and see what predators a bobcat has that might be in the area.

So thankful for the computer. It is like having a library at home at times.

I think we were only out for an hour. it was good to get out of the house. But, glad to be back home.

Both sides were in pain on the way back but the pain is gone now..thankfully.

Hoping to remember to take some EVO and lemon..it has been awhile.

I don't know why the pain..just hoping that will help.

I also wore my frozen cooling scarfs. I wear two of them around my neck. That helped too but it is still hot and humid out.

PS. The mule guy said to be sure and look on April 3 as there was a video of him crossing the Mississippi River....so I know he came at least that far.

I noticed he had a mattress on the side of the first wagon and the second wagon had lots of hay.

He also had a high end computer that he was sitting at a card table next to his rig.

kam
Member # 3410

Able to get up and get dressed and get out this am.

Est 10 min on feet. Rosie brought back the leg bones from a baby deer this time. She is so happy when she discovers this things.

I am so ready for her to get them out of her mouth.

DRove 12 miles out of town to walk along a creek h

It was actually cool this morning when I first got the creek. I was in shorts and a sleeveless top. The coolness was so nice.

[ 06-28-2009, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: kam ]

Gerifrog
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17990

-
It seem like everyone has been busy this week! Friday, I had a good news/bad news exhausting day.

As I posted Thurs, my dr's appt did not go well. I had a call in to my psychiatrist as I left the office. She got back

to me Friday (talked to me 3 x). She spoke to my neuro & brought him around to believe I still have Lyme! She

plans on taking on the ID duck too! To quote her: "I like a good fight". And she may have found a Lyme friendly Dr

for me. I have to call Mon. to find out if they'll take my insurance. The office is in Mt Kisco NY. If they do

participate, I'll need a referral from my PCP, but he's pretty good about things like that.

That was the good. The bad: we drove up to Albany early Fri. so we could spend a couple of hours at the mall

before Dan's immunology visit. Wore myself out wheeling around. At his appt., we found out that with a severe IgA

deficiency ANY blood product introduced into the body could cause anaphylactic shock. I have to get our Medic Alert

bracelets updated ASAP. I'm not so worried about me but Dan tears around town with his friends & I worry he'll get

into an accident. (In 10 years, they've lost 9 friends to accidents.) And, there is nothing they can do to boost his

immune system. He needs x-rays EVERY time he gets sick cause they don't want to over prescribe antibiotics!

Only when he has a documented bacterial infection should he get abx. He refuses to go to the Dr unless his

breathing is so bad he's turning blue. The Dr asked about an HBLA27 test? I think that's been mentioned on LN

before. So many questions/worries.

I don't know if it's because I overdid Friday or if the Lyme is just getting worse. My joint pain, fatigue, headache &

loss of co-ordination are all increasing and I had a second bout of A-fib last night. I'm having obvious trouble

talking & retaining stuff. I really need to see a good doctor.

Had a quiet day Sat, just did 1 load of laundry. Today all I've done is run the dishwasher & another load of wash.

Oh yeah, and I went down to the mailbox for the paper.

This week will have to be quieter. I'm very tired and keep finding myself just staring off into space.

Geri
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Ethereal.. I don't know about what you can give to a dog, but I love Jarrow Formula's Glucosamine and Chrondroitin plus MSM. I buy mine on Vitacost .. cheap!!

www.vitacost.com

I walked 30 laps Friday!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

kgg
Member # 5867

My Geri, your psychiatrist sounds like a keeper! She is great! And I am thrilled for you that she may have found someone Lyme friendly.

It sounds like you have had an incredible week. And then worries about your son add to the stress.

Be good to yourself. Rest. If I had your week I would probably be starting off into space too! Hopefully you will be feeling better soon!

KAM, sounds like Rosie has quite the adventures! We have bobcats in our area too.

Yesterday, I spent four hours putting in a garden at the local hospital with dh and another gardener.

Then today I spent about an hour weeding my garden that was needing it very badly. Between the rain and my mom's visit last week, I had not been in the garden for a while. It sure needed some attention!

Best,
Karen

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement