LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » What Do You Do About a Regular Doctor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Do You Do About a Regular Doctor
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just don't know what to do. My LLMD is a wonderful, wonderful doctor, but his office suggests that his patients also have a physician for routine stuff like colds, sore throats, and all the other non-Lyme, not serious stuff.

How do you choose one? I picked a random name off of my insurance's list of PCP's, but I have never gone to her. Is there a good way to find somebody or do I really even need someone? If I get sick is it okay to go to one of those urgent care places I have seen around? If I see my LLMD regularly do I still need an annual physical with a PCP? [confused]

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You really should have a regular doctor.

Your LLMD should be like the icing on the cake and the other doctor should be the one to deal with anything else that pops up.

Now.. which duck to choose?

Oh my....

So many ducks, so little time.

[lol]

First, if no friends or family to get referrals from, go to the local home town pharmacy (not the chain places) or a local chiropractor and ask who they recommend.

The pharmacists see who orders what and they deal with docs day in and day out... so they have a good handle on who might fit your needs and be more open and tolerant to your craziness.

If that doesn't float your boat....

Look in the local paper for docs new to the area who are advertising for new patients. They are often less likely to turn you away... even all of us nasty, evil Lyme patients.

A younger one often (not always) is more open to new ideas.. and for some reason I seem to get less grief from females than males.

And do, when you go, act like the Lyme treatments are only a small portion of your life in general... especially at the first visit.... and that Lyme treatment to you is even less important than winning a new paper clip or getting a bag of left over chicken wing bones for your birthday.

And DON'T try to educate the duck about Lyme on your first visit or take anything Lyme related with you.

Think ... get it in your mind... that this new duck is only seeing you to do stuff like remove splinters from your bee hind that you get when you sit on the dock and scoot around reaching for the dip net while crabbing.

If it is any more complex than that... forget it. DON"T bring it up, especially at that first visit.

I know it is hard to divide the two things ... cause it is in one body ... but once you can seperate it in your mind...

It won't be so bad.

And when you approach them for the first time... just list your meds on a sheet of paper and don't try to explain anything.

And act like treating Lyme et al is as normal as putting both shoes on your feet each day.

Or as normal as reading a book or watching tv.

And PLEASE.... you should act like YOU are as normal as a big belly on a pig.

It will take some effort, but you can do it.

DO NOT offer anything unless you are asked.

Then K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid.)

And... answer any Lyme related questions as if that was the most mundane and boring thing you ever heard.

Otay?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
radfaraf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radfaraf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also check for doctors with good ratings at : http://www.ratemds.com/social/
If they have a low amount of ratings it might be hard to really know what the ratings and comments mean in a greater context, but there are doctors there that have 15+ comments usually all good or all bad, giving you an idea of who to stay away from or is worth a try.

Posts: 526 | From NJ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wendihk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wendihk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found less Lyme resistance from Nurse Practicioners than actual doctors.

One time my regular doctor (who swears I can't have Lyme because that only presents as swollen knees) wasn't available but the nurse practicioner was.

I saw him and he was very receptive to what I told him about my Lyme and treatments. He listened and was very supportive.

I don't know if it is because they don't have the cocky know it all attitude of the doctor but even @ the Gastro office I always see the NP because she takes her time and listens.

I just find it's not like talking to a stone wall with the NPs.

Posts: 114 | From New York | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wen said.. "I don't know if it is because they don't have the cocky know it all attitude of the doctor but even @ the Gastro office I always see the NP because she takes her time and listens."

I agree. Good point!

And... after you are familiar with the new place... then you can be more comfortable.

Once they know you're not nuts that is!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all so much for your advice.

I contacted an integrative medicine doctor this morning and asked to set up an appointment for an annual physical in September.

I feel much, much better now that I have some direction. I appreciate all of your comments! [Smile]

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Good luck!!!!

Hope it works out for you!!!

Do lettuce no!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Zebco 33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zebco 33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when we first moved here from Ohio and I was looking for a G.P.

I looked in the phone book for a dr.'s office close to a good hospital.

The office had about 6 different kind of dr.'s and I wanted an Internest.

I called and when the receptionist answered I told her I was new to the area and needed a Dr.

I told her, "I need him or her to be very compassionate, very smart and a have really good sense of humor!"

She thouht a few minutes and said, I have just the dr. for you.

Fast forward 4 yrs. later, he's all that and more.

He dx'd my lyme last year and I pray you will have the same blessing as I have.

Prayers for you tonight....Fondly, Connie

Posts: 145 | From Paris, Tn. | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by radfaraf:

Also check for doctors with good ratings at : http://www.ratemds.com/social/

If they have a low amount of ratings it might be hard to really know what the ratings and comments mean in a greater context, but there are doctors there that have 15+ comments usually all good or all bad, giving you an idea of who to stay away from or is worth a try.

i used to recommend ratemds.com ... but do NOT NOW!

many have vendettas on these drs. and post again and again plus having their family/friends do this! it could be a personality conflict, but i NO LONGER TRUST ANY INFO THERE!

i DO trust this info i receive from lymenet members here directly!

so spend your time wisely checking out these folks [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where in MD are you? I know a lyme friendly family practitioner in Gaithersburg.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup's suggestions are dead on IMO. [Smile]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Hi Aniek,

Thanks for your offer.

Your mailbox is full. [Smile]

--------------------

kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aniek-

I am also in MD, and need a Lyme friendly PCP.

Would you mind sharing the name with me as well?

I tried to PM you. Mailbox is full.

Thanks!

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement