LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Considering Medical Leave

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Considering Medical Leave
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I'm considering going on medical leave. This is a huge deal for me. During my first 4 years of treatment I worked full time and went to law school at night. But now, I'm just always exhausted and I just can't focus at work.

I have a recent mycoplasma diagnosis. My LLMD isn't sure if it is a new infection or if it is just showing up now that the Lyme has been treated. It could also be something that went into remission and I relapsed.

I know I need to put my health first, but the idea of not working is terrifying. I'm thinking of just taking a month so I can start treatment. Has anyone done a short leave and had it help?

I'm already down to a 3/5 work schedule.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too, except I can't get it together enough to file the paperwork and have this Doctor fax this and that for the FLMA crap. It's easier to go into work exhausted and plowed. Plus I appear totally normal so everyone would think I'm being a scammer.

lose-lose this disease.

Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor recommended I take a minimum of 6 weeks off. I think I have enough leave for 4 weeks, not sure about 6. Which means I might have to do unpaid leave. I think it is worth it in the long run to take 2 weeks unpaid.

I have really mixed feelings though. Part of me is really looking forward to taking the time off, and learning how to relax again. I really pushed myself too hard and I stress way too much about work. And it's not like I've been productive lately.

But there is also a part of me that feels like the bugs are winning. I was able to work and go to school at night for 4 years. I hate that I can't handle it now.

--------------------

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aniek,

don't let the situation get to you; you've done one heck of job doing what you did for so long!!

also, are you in a federal or state job? before i left work, employees could DONATE 1 HR. OF PAID SICK LEAVE TO FOLKS LIKE YOU so you would not be without a paycheck after your sick leave ran out.

does that still exist in govt? best wishes.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

bettyg,

Thanks. I'm not in government and while they have sick leave donation, they don't have it for managers and I'm a manager. I'm catching up on my timecards today to find out how much time I have. I should have at least a month leave and can afford a couple weeks unpaid if necessary. It may just push our home buying back another month.

--------------------

bettyg
Unregistered

aniek, thx for the reply back and your comments .... [Smile]
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aniek-

You aren't letting the bugs win by listening to your body and taking a break.

Rather, you'd be giving yourself the best possible chance to annihilate them in this round, and to store up some healing power to keep them from getting uppity again anytime soon.

You're an amazing lady to have made it through law school and work and treatment without giving an inch. Time to focus on taking care of that amazing self. Your other goals can wait- I have NO doubt you'll tackle them with panache and success soon enough.

take care- dill

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gridmonster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gridmonster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme seems to treat all of us slightly differently, but all of us badly. I'd suggest that you Treat IT badly!

Do what you NEED to do to make yourself well.

[ 07-23-2009, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: gridmonster ]

Posts: 135 | From Orlando, Florida | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reduced to part time at the start of my treatment in Dec. That has been a huge help to me.

Personally, while working at all is difficult, I was scared to take a leave of absence because I was worried about when/if I'd be able to return.

It's a very personal choice. My work both stresses me out and anchors me to something other than this illness. I'd work as little as you need to get by, and as much as you need to keep your sanity.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jtavares76
Member # 19216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jtavares76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my symptoms hit in January I took an unpaid leave of absence. Fortunately the company I work for has been very supportive.

I returned to part time schedule at the end of May but once I was diagnosed and started treatment for Lyme, I again was unable to work.
I am currently on leave until Spetember.

If all goes well, I hope to return three days a week rather than five. My supervisors are willing to accomodate whatever schedule I need to stay healthy. It helps that both supervisors have dealt with Lyme disease in the past. Both were treated when they noticed a bull's eye rash and early treatment was succecful in both their cases.

My advice, do what you need to remain healthy and fight this disease. Somehow, you will get by. I didn't think we would make it through on only my husband's pay but we have cut back and things are okay.

Good luck!
JT

Posts: 72 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good advice from Dilly. I agree with her!

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gahagan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gahagan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My newly infected husband is so weak and exhausted that I know there is no way he could possibly work. Fortunately, he is retired.

If you think time of may help, try it. You can always go back if you think the rest isn't helpful. Right?

Posts: 212 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

yes, SSDI, has a work program; if it doesn't work out, it doesn't jeopardise your receiving ssdi benefits.
orrn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orrn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just be sure to cross your "T's" and dot your "I's" when you are off. Keep good records, etc. I was just fired and still cannot find work, because of the glowing reference that my former job of over 11 years has been giving me.

I don't want to cause more anxiety for you just make sure to keep good records about everything. My employer really turned on me. Now I am almost out of unemployment, have NO health insurance for me and my 10 year old daughter that has LD also and can't find another job(I'm a nurse and still can't find a job).

I have a lawsuit against them, but it is taking way too long and I have the feeling that I am not going to get enough to cover the effects of this.

It has been a nightmare! So please, make sure to write down everything! Keep a log of some sort to protect yourself.

Good luck to you. The rest will do you good.

orrn

Posts: 239 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement