LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Can't deal with kids today

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can't deal with kids today
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if it's lyme rage or if the kids are just extra big BUTTHEADS today, but I have been screaming bloody murder at them all day.

I swear they're doing everything to get under my skin and p*** me off.

Thought it would get beter when Mike got home, but it got worse.

I had the table set for supper, water glasses on, and out of the blue, here comes a pillow flying from the living room and knocks one of the water glasses off the table--

water everywhere, hit the computer, the mail, everything.

So I'm screaming bloody murder at Wesley again.

Then during supper he knocks his water over twice more--WTH?

Since supper, they've been alternating between running around like maniacs and throwing fits.

Then in the process of running around, Wayde slammed face first into a wall.

My blood pressure has got to be through the roof with as ticked off as I have been all day.

No breaks either--try finding someone here to watch these two for a while.

I certainnly hope the neighbors aren't listening; they probably think I'm a psycho witch with all the yelling I do.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeafFromLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it seems my kids turn into bigger BUTTHEADS when I feel the worst and have the most to do. Ifeel your pain! Go to your room lock the door and scream as loud as you can and come back out with a smile.

Sometimes tha helps me 1. because the kids hear me and get scared think I'm nuts, so they stop and 2 because it just makes me feel better! [Smile]

Hope today is a better day!

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

www.24weekperfectbaby.blogspot.com

Son's blog born at 24 weeks.

Posts: 356 | From massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That doesn't work in our house.

The kids think it's funny and it just incites them to bigger buttheadedness.

They're at it again already this morning.

I swear I'm going to write down every buttheaded thing they do and publish a book for all to see.

Or at least to present to t hem on their wedding days. heh heh heh.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh for the days when we USED to send them outside to play ball with neighbors or ride bikes etc!!!

Can you take them to a local pool to burn up some energy?? You can sit in the shade and sip ice tea,water or whatever is best for you!!

What are their ages?? what other age appropriate stuff can they do??

Any chance of a play date with other friends??

unfortunately yelling has negative results,,but has been done for centuries,,,unsucessfully!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know the ages of your children, but they sound young. I remember the days when we could not get through a meal w/out someone spilling their drink.

When my children were young and I was younger but still felt like 90, I tried to get them to use up their energy while I concerved mine.

I did not live in an area with family, and we were new to town and had not made many friends yet.

So I had to get creative to save my sanity.

Yelling did not work for me, and it won't work for you either. Only raise the b/p and the kids will feed off the wrong energy.

Calm. Breathe.

I ran my house like a business. We started the day with a routine. Everyone, no matter how young had a job to do.
chores done, then rewards.

There were many days that I could not drive, did not dare to. So I would have them run obstacle courses, yes sometimes in our playroom. We cooked together. Yes a mess, but they had to be calm to join in. Same with science experiments in the kitchen. I remember one very frustrating day in particular, they just seemed like wild beasts. Looking back it is really funny, but then I was fatigued and in pain and all alone with 3. outnumbered for certain! I told them that they needed to go outside and run around the house to use up the energy, then when calm they could return indoors. They thought it was so funny.

As don mentioned, bike riding is great fun. If there is a safe place for them to ride, I took mine to the school grounds, you bring a chair and rest.

Good luck Starfall, and remember you can come on here and yell all you want. Get it out, then return to them when you are calm. The calm energy can be just as contagious to them as the yelling and raging. Best wishes.

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents use to have me go play on the freeway or swim in the pool when there was lighting and thunder!

Sounds like they have cabin fever. I recall when I was teaching and the kids were not able to focus...we would head out to the pond and have an outdoor science lesson or go to the field behind us and they would run up and down the mounds of dirt.

When I first started doing this with the kids they had a difficulty with their big motor skills.

But, this improved with practice. it was good to see.

I worked with a small group of children who were deaf at the time.

Hoping you find something to within your limits to help re direct all that energy into something less stressful for you.

I also have noticed how I have little patience for people except on those days when I am higher functioning with this disease.

Can't imagine trying to manage munchkins.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfall,

I feel for ya! My kids are usually pretty good, but they have their moments! My middle child was horrible until she turned 4. I always thought I was so lucky because my son (oldest child) was always so calm compared to other boys.

Then I found out it was because he is so tired all the time from Lyme. Even though he isn't running around constantly, he has strange phobias and OCD stuff. He will ask the same thing several times like "Is this OK to eat mommy? Is it still good?"

He heard hubby ask once if the bread was still 'good'. Now Elijah asks for any type of food! Drives me crazy sometimes, but I know it's the Lyme and he can't help it.

But my second child is a girl and has the stamina of a gifted athlete. She can run circles around our son.

Our kids also get hyper in the evening...no idea why?!

Then at bedtime Elijah starts in about how he won't be able to fall asleep, and comes to my bed sometimes several times when I'm trying to fall asleep asking what he should do if he can't sleep.

Ahhhhh!!!!!

We are going away for a few days and my neighbor graciously asked if I wanted her to watch the kids for a few hours today so I could pack!

Ummm YES!!!! So I only have until 3 pm today and I will have 2 hours to pack and to be by 'myself'.

Also...it's harder to deal with kids when you are more sick. I've noticed that my kids haven't been driving me crazy much lately because I've been feeling better.

Oh...and don't worry about the yelling. I remember when my husband and I did foster parenting classes and our instructor used to say that she was a screamer to her own kids back in the day!

If I yell at my kids and it isn't really warranted I will tell them that I love them and Mommy is just grumpy and it's not their fault.

You are a good mom...everyone has those days (my 2 year shattered a glass by accidently knocking it off the table and spilled milk twice on the floor in one day (I had just mopped the floor the day before!).

Hang in there!!

Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfall,

Everyone had such good things to say.

I equate what you're dealing with mostly from my sisters experience.

They run around all day. When they are bored they are on each other, her daughter 8 and her son 6.

I mean they egg on fights with each other, and it is usually the worst when I am on the phone with her.

I feel so badly for her, because she does everything and always shows her kids the nicest of times, but they never give her a break. Yelling has become commonplace and evokes a laugh. Usually when it reaches a higher shrill level, it gets their attention and they simmer down.

I always say as parents we should apologize when we are wrong. But most times they just don't know when enough is.

In the old days, a parent would be more physical. We don't have that leverage anymore, and that's not my style anyway. But as a child and the youngest of three, I was usually in the punish line.

My sister remembers me there at age 3 gettin' a good whopin for clowning around with my older sister and brother. Then there was the old reach around and smack in the car if there was too much action in the back seat.

Yea, and you can't send'em outside anymore between the ticks and the predators.......

So, I agree with the pool and the fenced in parks, maybe bowling, a good movie. That three D guinea pig movie just came out. School is starting soon, keep that close in mind.

My daughter coined this phrase when she was 4. She told her uncle who was lovingly teasing on her to "go away and leave yourself alone".

Do that when there are no other options left.

Hang in there, you are not alone-

2roads

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

My kids are 5 and 2, so yes, they're young. I just wish we had someplace to take them.

No pools, bowling alleys, movie theaters, etc. within about 15 miles of us, and it's been rainy all week, so outside is a no go right now.

That's some of the problem--and I wouldn't have a problem with them playing in just rain, but it's been storming.

We ordered a big swingset that should be delivered next week--can't come fast enough!!!!!

Ocean--Lol about the mopping. Yeah, my kids inevitably drop something on the floor within an hour of mopping.

peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No advice here. In my own hell here.

I bought a pinewood derby yesterday at the thrift store thinking it would help at least the 4 year old stay busy. So far, no.

Here is one thing that is working. I put out a bunch of master locks, gave them the keys/combinations and they are playing with those.

Days like this, which is most of them for me make me hate them, lyme or no lyme.

Playdates on weekends are next to impossible. And let's be honest folks, who really wants to support/play with/help kids and moms with lyme disease.

I feel for you. I think it is criminal the way moms with lyme, with kids with lyme don't get help. If I didn't have lyme, and I lived near you I would be asking to take your kids to the park for you once a week.

I just want to scream at people. Instead, we all just get ignored.

Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find my children act up to get my attention.

If I am not feeling well they really get busy trying to get me involved.

Even negative attention is still attention.

I make myself engage in a game (even when I could sleep standing up).

We have "sock" wars. Get all the pairs of socks we can find.

Find a room where little can be knocked down and throw socks at each other.

Sounds goofy, but I end up laughing and really enjoying the game.

Even when I don't want to.

I play for a while (about 30-45 mins).

Then the kids go back to other stuff and I get to be quiet.

I find that the impromptu stuff we do (silly and goofy)

Is also the most rewarding and enjoyable for all of us.

Sending you positive thoughts and prayers.

Breathe deep and know that they aren't trying to drive you crazy.

Even though at times it feels that way.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement