LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Questions about July 30th panel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions about July 30th panel
ConnieMc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: the panel on July 30:

I have questions I have been meaning to ask:

So on July 30, the appointed panel will listen to a full day of testimony presented by both sides.

What happens next?

Does the panel meet to discuss what they have heard and formulate a opinion?

Does the opinion have to be agreed upon by all members of the panel? Or is there a majority vote on various issues?

How exactly are their findings going to be published?

And how long do that have to submit their findings and recommendations?

Will these findings be binding, or can the IDSA decide to discount anything that is in our favor?

And the dreaded question: What if the panel DOES side with the IDSA? What then?

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
connie, please change dates to JULY 30 !!

here's other info....

Mac McDonald from www.lymeblog.com has brought up some points that we must consider:

Please contact Richard Blumenthal's office to request a separate, IDSA-independent video feed for the July IDSA hearing and here's why, as it is probably not part of the "agreement" reached between his office and the IDSA panel.

[email protected]

As it stands, people wishing to watch the upcoming hearing broadcast on the IDSA web site, must REGISTER on the IDSA site before they can listen to the broadcast.

And in order to watch their video, the IDSA site also requires us to download an application that is to be installed on our computers.

There is no privacy policy posted on the IDSA web site, and hence no assurance that the IDSA won't collect and "own" our personal information that it can use for its own purposes, especially under the federal post 9/11 Patriot Act legislation....and that the IDSA won't try to "own" the rights to the hearing it is broadcasting.

And there is no guarantee that the IDSA won't track and pursue Lyme patients and their physicians with this database, a very powerful database indeed.

The installment of "an application" of any sort, easily allows the embedding on our computers, of "spy" software which can record every keystroke we type, all the sites we visit (cookies) and whatever else is intended to be recorded or tracked.

In addition, you should be advised that anyone with your IP address and your name once registered can be used to find out where you live and much more information about you--by anyone.

All it takes is an IP address to find out where you live.

The collection of data in a powerful database such as that which will
collect personal information about us as lyme patients,
will allow the IDSA to keep track of all lyme patients and doctors registering, and
collect whatever information they wish.
And any time an application is downloaded, you don't know what is being placed on your computer,
or what is being tracked, from cookies to keystrokes to email conversations!

Spy software does exist, it is as easily installed by opening a file, and there is no assurance that this is not being done-- nor is there a posted privacy policy that can be legally enforced!

By the way, Lyme advocacy groups that require registration on their sites to view the hearing may also be collecting personal information as well, although they don't require the downloading of an application---

so remember to check privacy policies on those sites before registering.

Personal information is being collected on any sites which require registration.

Don't think that it is not being collected!

Mailing and phone lists are a common thing in this day and age of electronics.

And in a paradigm where it is the "us against them" mindset, we must be diligent and demand a freedom of choice so that our privacy and rights are protected and ensured.

I think we should be asking Mr. Blumenthal's office for an independent site which will post the upcoming IDSA hearing FREE WITHOUT REGISTRATION and/or with a privacy policy which ensures that people's information, if they must register, will not be used anywhere else or sold or shared.

PJ Langhoff

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very thoughtful questions, Connie. I don't know the answers, though.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a little surprised noone knows the answers to these questions. I think we are all interested in the potential impact of this hearing and it would be nice to know what happens next.

Certainly, we may come out of the hearing feeling like our story was told, but do we really know what will happen with this panel once the hearing is over?

Is this whole thing a joke and just to appease us, or is there potential for real change?

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JKMMC09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JKMMC09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good questions. My LLMD is presenting, I will ask him..
Posts: 371 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
connie, write lorraine johnson and ask her since she is a lawyer and 1 of 2 folks representing us.

use the calda site; pretty sure you can send her from there.

if not, PM me and i'll get you one ok. [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Connie,

http://www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/view.asp?a=2795&q=414284

quote:
To assure that the review panel obtains divergent information, the panel will conduct an open scientific hearing at which it will hear scientific and medical presentations from interested parties. The agreement requires the hearing to be broadcast live to the public on the Internet via the IDSA's website. The Attorney General's Office, Dr. Brody and the review panel will together finalize the list of presenters at the hearing.

Once it has collected information from its review and open hearing, the panel will assess the information and determine whether the data and evidence supports each of the recommendations in the 2006 Lyme disease guidelines.

The panel will then vote on each recommendation in the IDSA's 2006 Lyme disease guidelines on whether it is supported by the scientific evidence. At least 75 percent of panel members must vote to sustain each recommendation or it will be revised.

Once the panel has acted on each recommendation, it will have three options: make no changes, modify the guidelines in part or replace them entirely.

The panel's final report will be published on the IDSA's website.

The legal document delineating the agreement is at
http://www.ct.gov/ag/lib/ag/health/idsaagreement.pdf

Hope that helps you,

Sharon

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you Sharon!!

[group hug] mtree

--------------------
worrying about tomorrow takes its strength away from today

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since nearly all the panel members are IDSA clones, were chosen for that reason, don't look for any changes to be made. And the AG will not be able to do anything about it.

If anyone wants to read about the composition of the panel and the other conditions, there were plenty of threads discussing this in previous lymenet conversations.

The only hope for us, IMO, is for someone with deep pockets or a public-spirited well financed law firm to take these guys to court. Expose all the lies and dirty tricks in public. Cost the IDSA more money in legal fees, which is the only reason they settled with the AG.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Thanks Shaz ..... I didn't think of looking on the AG's site.

I wonder if they can drag this out as long as they want? No doubt there will be plenty of negotiating behind the scenes once the hearing is over. I wish the panel could be "sequestered" after the hearing.

Let justice prevail! I am hopeful, but not optimistic.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement