LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Dave Letterman has Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dave Letterman has Lyme
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watching right now.
Last 3 days he had a fever of 103, and I was thinking to myself "Lyme" for sure.

Today he revealed he was just diagnosed with anaplasmosis (I think ehrlichia).
He said he was bitten by a tick. Living in CT who know how many times.

Anybody with a flu in the summer should be suspicious.

Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Sorry for him and I hope he gets the right treatment but I do hope this results in more Lyme awareness.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a shame. Wishing the best for him.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He contracted lyme in the past few years. Got standard treatment I think. He was always making fun of lyme patients. I know he made some people mad but I don't remember exactly what he has said as I didn't pay much attention to him.

I can't say for sure that he ever had lyme before because I never verified it.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So he revealed on his show that he was recently diagnosed with anaplasmosis? Interesting.
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he used to have a character Tick boy or a giant tick...back when he was on NBC [Smile]

He also did a lyme spoof a few years ago in which he had a fake lyme book and doctor on the show supposedly. It aggravated a lot of people. A clip is on You Tube somewhere...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He had the shingles in 03 in his eyes. He missed a

lot of work. Do you think it is possible he tested

seronegative because of a cross reaction?

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He had also had a quad bypass. Hopefully, this won't attack the heart.
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well surely the station knows about Igenex.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
interesting as i personally saw him making fun of folks bitten by TICKS!

don't count on station having any accurate info!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was interesting he was showing an enlarged poster of something that looked like a Fry lab smear. He was actually showing how the anaplasma was attached or inside his blood cells. He seemed in a light mood but wasn't joking about the thing at all.

He said the past few days he felt worse than the bypass or the shingles.

Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
He also did a lyme spoof a few years ago in which he had a fake lyme book and doctor on the show supposedly.

This one?

Letterman clip from 7/17/06

Posts: 269 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeparfait
Unregistered

Would be fantastic to finally have a celebrity come out with accurate lyme knowledge in the media, especially from a personal, patient perspective.

Not from what the infectious disease MD's tell the world. We need the truth, that testing needs to be accurate, and funded as this is more widespread than AIDS, and causes more chronic conditions and long term affects for our society and unborn children.

He would do America a service to spread the word. Can someone contact him?

We need to be heard, and a celebrity, like Letterman would be credible, in our society that looks at celebrities as gods.

tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did he actually admit he had lyme or did he think the anaplasmosis was something unrelated?

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

quote:
Originally posted by tick battler:
Did he actually admit he had lyme or did he think the anaplasmosis was something unrelated?

tickbattler

Well he never actually admitted he had Lyme, but said that the ticks are the same ones that can cause Lyme.

I'm thinking he went to a general doctor or Infections Disease moron who did not want to run a Lyme WB but wants to test for everything else, which revealed anaplasmosis.

nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the segment where he talks about it (his Anaplasmosis infection):

Late Show with David Letterman - Adam Sandler PART 2 - July/30/2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0qO6DkbHmg

It starts at around the 5 minutes, 5 seconds mark (5:05).

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for posting, nenet. I am sort of torn about his presentation. He was jovial yet serious. I hope that tactic works to enlighten people.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this last night...

he was comparing it to having shingles and heart surgery.......far worse then either...
..........and he wished it was the swine flu....

[Smile] mtree

--------------------
worrying about tomorrow takes its strength away from today

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this yanivnaced, and also thanks for the added links everyone.

I think we need to be a bit careful about calling this 'Lyme' when in fact, he is not admitting to having Bb, but instead is admitting to having an infection of Anaplasmosis.

These are not one in the same.

Anaplasmosis

Human Granulocytic Anaplasmosis (HGA) is caused by the bacterium Anaplasma phagocytophilum. It is contracted with the bite of infected ticks (Amblyomma americanum, Ixodes pacificus, Ixodes scapularis, Ixodes spinipalpis and Ixodes Dermacentor variabilis). It has also been documented to transmit congenitally, through blood transfusion and through direct contact with blood or respiratory secretions.

Human Granulocytic Ehrlichiosis (HGE) is caused by the bacterium Ehrlichia ewingii. It is typically contracted with the bite of infected ticks (Amblyomma americanum, Amblyomma maculatum, Ixodes scapularis, Ixodes Dermacentor variabilis and Rhipicephalus sanguineus), however, it has also been transmitted through contact with blood of fresh venison.

The Fatality rate is 2-5%.

Nosocomial Transmission of Human Granulocytic Anaplasmosis in China.
Lijuan Zhang, MD, PhD et al.
JAMA. 2008;300(19):2263-2270.

Human Granulocytic Anaplasmosis During Pregnancy: Case Series and Literature Review.
Dhand A, Nadelman R et al.
Clinical Infectious Diseases 2007;45:589-593.

Anaplasma phagocytophilum Transmitted Through Blood Transfusion
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, October 24, 2008
MMWR 57(42);1145-1148

Exposure to deer blood may be a cause of human granulocytic ehrlichiosis.
Bakken JS, Krueth J, Lund T, Malkovitch D, Asanovich K, Dumler JS.
Clin Infect Dis 1996; 23:198.

The human ehrlichioses in the United States.1999.
McQuiston, J. H., C. D. Paddock, R. C. Holman, and J. E. Childs.
Emerg. Infect. Dis. 5:635-642
(Fatality rate)

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe now he won't make fun and joke about Lyme disease. He's had it before and acted like it was a joke.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Maybe now he won't make fun and joke about Lyme disease. He's had it before and acted like it was a joke.

I hope he won't joke about it either. It is never nice or productive to make fun of another person's poor health.

--------------------

kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the photo of the white cells, he is pointing to the nucleus and saying that it is the "parasite" that is infecting them.

What he is pointing to is not the bacteria. The bacteria can be seen as the samll thing scatered around the cells.

Ugh! At least get it right!

I am sure they checked for Lyme as well, right?...

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kitty9309:
I am sure they checked for Lyme as well, right?...

Oh, I'm sure they gave him a perfectly good ELISA test. Maybe even a follow-up WB. IF it was positive, they probably detemined it was a "false positive."

Once they determined it was a negative or "false positive", they probably ignored the warning from the CDC not to exclude a Lyme diagnosis via a Lyme test.

(just to be clear I am being a little facetious here [Wink] )

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone notice the link no longer works?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished watching the link and it was ok.

I did have it in pause mode for a few hours, but it picked right back up where he AGAIN pointed the the cell nucleus and called it the "parasite".

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Ok, I just tried to pull it back up.

Taken off due to terms of use violation.

kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

quote:
Originally posted by nenet:

(just to be clear I am being a little facetious here [Wink] ) [/QB]

LOL, I meant the same thing when I said I am sure they tested him for Lyme.
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
huh????

how come we can't watch it???

[Roll Eyes] mtree

--------------------
worrying about tomorrow takes its strength away from today

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trishden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trishden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
imho David Letterman is a jerk, don't count on him being any kind of advocate.
Posts: 305 | From NJ | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He talked about having a tick attached last summer. This isn't the first time he has taken a serious approach to lyme.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

This video has been removed due to terms of use violation. **********************************************
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT terms of use violation? Lots of his other stuff is there .....

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

i have no idea; just block copied what was on screen when i went there ??
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What goes around, comes around.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeLearned
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeLearned     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if he can't advocate for us, and he clearly can't, he could at least STOP giviing bogus stats that put others into MORE danger....like saying only 1/200 ticks carry Lyme disease.

I also don't see him as someone who easily takes to admitting his mistakes, so even if he falls flat out with Lyme, he'd rather die quietly than admit his mistake, much less apologize.

--------------------
"SEVEN LYME FACTS THAT COULD HAVE SAVED ME" VISIT ME AT:

http://www.youtube.com/TickedOffLiterally

Posts: 183 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So be it then.

It would be nice if he listened more and spoke less, but his own outcome will be based on his personality flaws.

Maybe others in his social circles will be more wise and learn....he can just be the carrier.

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsturner
Member # 20874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsturner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I find myself almost wishing that people

that mock or play down this disease get it. I know

that is a horrible thing to say and something that

I wouldn't typically wish on anyone, but sometimes

that's how I feel.

Posts: 23 | From Southern Maine | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not got a lot of sympathy for someone with a track record like him, for joking about others' diseases. Don't know which one it is, but either anaplasma or ehrlichia can kill people pretty fast. Anaplasma used to be called ehrlichia too. And I guess the tick that got him might only have had one pathogen, but am willing to bet he got more than one. Better start planning your retirement, Dave.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dnn
Member # 21617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dnn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, thats a good one. I saw the stupid clips of him chastising lyme victims, 1 in 200 ticks infected? Well guess what jerk, you're one of the lucky ones. What could possibly be the purpose of dogging Lyme patients by a washed up comedian in need of material? Lettermans got a mean streak in him and a tendency to kick people when they are down. Well, I hope he suffers greatly.
Posts: 12 | From maryland | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 14 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvs2ride:
What goes around, comes around.

Yes it does....

ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry that anyone gets any tick borne disease, however, in my wild dreams, I take a vial of happy ticks to congress and a few special hospitals. But I snap back to reality and control my urge and realize that I would be unwilling to do time for these IDiots..
Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least we are all in agreement about this guy.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dnn
Member # 21617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dnn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im going to watch the show just to see if I can see signs of sickness. Problem is Conan is funnier. OK, Conan dialogue, Letterman LYme
Posts: 12 | From maryland | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the u-tube thing was probably because CBS owns the rights to the show.

CBS's link to the show

Seems like Dave's been off for a couple of weeks. They've been playing re-runs.

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dnn
Member # 21617

Cmon Dave, we need a high profile martyr whether you collapse on stage or come to grips with the fact that Shakespeare just kicked you in the tuts and that your big mouth just cannot say a tactful thing.

Someone who so viciously and publicly belittled those with Lyme would be a perfect advocate for the cause in a heroic way, but quite frankly Dave, you're a mean guy, preferring to kick people when they're down so I would prefer you play the martyr - you know what that means right?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement