LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Lou B back and OK ... for now

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lou B back and OK ... for now
Lou B
Administrator
Member # 64

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lou B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As some of you know, I had a massive heart attack in Dec '06 and, thanks to the heroic efforts of a pair of paramedics and an outstanding cardiologist, I somehow survived but I've been battling cardiac issues ever since.

During July '09, these problems resulted in my being on a Cardiac Event Monitor (which showed nothing) and then, in Aug '09, another Stress Thallium, which appeared suspect.

On 9/9/09 (all 9's) I was again admitted to the hospital for my 5th cardiac catheterization ...

I got home from the hospital this afternoon ... did an overnight stay in the "medical motel" because they decided to balloon open a single artery feeding the left side of my heart that had a "slight narrowing" ... no stents required.

So, all is good as far as the plumbing is concerned, in fact I'm recovering more heart wall function which caused the "change" that showed up during the stress thallium last month.
My cardio doc now wants to do some very specific lipid profiling to help find out "what we're doing right" because my heart should not be continuing to recover damaged muscle 2 years and 9 months after the heart attack. I and my cardiac rehab team know the damn answer ... continuing and frequent high intensity workouts in the cardiac rehab center.

Now that we know the plumbing isn't clogged (no blockages), I need to start with another member of my cardio doc team ... the electrician. New studies show, because of the severity of my heart attack, that I may be at risk of developing a type of arrhythmia that could cause sudden cardiac arrest. So it's looking like I may be getting an implantable cardiac defibrillator.

Bottom line ... all is good and we're planning our trip to "swim with the dolphins" in December in the FL keys.

--------------------
Lou B
 -

Posts: 2200 | From Mount Hope, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lou,

thanks for posting and updating us since you/i had talked lately about this procedure.

glad it wasn't serious and your PT workouts have shown immense improvements due to your determination.

you've come thru alot these last almost 3 years; stubborness helps i guess?

right! you know i'm kidding with you lob and angela. you know i wish only the BEST of getting your health back so you can continue walking the beaches w/angela [Smile]

hugs/kisses my friend. betty

i read your reply on tracy's post on dr. jones so hoped you'd show up and advise us all. [Smile] thanks for doing this lou. now good a good night's sleep and then some. [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou - glad to hear you're still managing all this - all the best to you -
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[kiss]
Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LabRat
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LabRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear your improving. How old are you now? The defib's very comforting to have on board, you just about have to ask permission to die. Mine just lies there, dead weight, but have started new medication that dis-agreed with me that would set it off till I was stable and it was out of my system. You would be surprised by the number of deaths probably caused by starting a new heart medication! Go swim with your big fish, I believe having a new passionate interest actually measurable improves your health. Having said that, it may be that just feeling better allows you to want to go out and do things you couldn't do before. In any case it makes no sense to be the richest man in the graveyard, go have some fun! Surprise your wife with a puppy!
Posts: 1887 | From Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheesh, a heckuva lot to go thru. You have many supporters here wishing the best for you. Have fun with the dolphins.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm recovering more heart wall function which caused the "change" that showed up during the stress thallium last month.
quote:
continuing to recover damaged muscle 2 years and 9 months after the heart attack
[woohoo] [woohoo] [woohoo] [woohoo]

That's WONDERFUL NEWS!!!! [Big Grin]

There's definitely something to be said for determination!

I'm so glad to see you back here, in good spirits, with good news. [kiss]

I wish they would have implanted a defib in my dad before I had to go try to pick him up off the floor & worry whether or not he was going to die for several days. [Roll Eyes]

He had A-fib though, not V-fib. I think it's V-fib that can lead to sudden arrest.

I'm so glad your doctors are proactive. Maybe I should make my dad drive all the way up there. Somehow I doubt that I'd ever be able to do that. I'd never be able to drag him to the gym either, poor guy has more problems than just his heart & he's got a "few" years on you too.

quote:
New studies show, because of the severity of my heart attack, that I may be at risk of developing a type of arrhythmia that could cause sudden cardiac arrest.
I wonder how many of those study participants actually had almost 3 years of continuing muscle recovery. (she said incredulously)
I STILL can't get over that. It's just so amazing!!!!

The next thing you know your 2 yr 9 month, continuing muscle recovery will show up in a journal article and they'll be mandating rigorous exercise programs for everyone.

Though I think the pre-attack cardiac fitness level would probably make a big difference on the pace of rehabilitation a person was able to maintain, so perhaps not everyone.

I'm so glad it's working for YOU though!!!! [group hug]

Thanks so much for this good news! It really made my day after some of the depressing stuff I was reading earlier.

hugs & prayers,
Ali

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"battling cardiac issues"

We should call you the Cardiac Crusader for the determination with which you battle those issues. Keep fighting back because it sure sounds like you're really doing a good job! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stay Strong and enjoy your well earned vacation...

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope the good news about your heart wall recovery keeps on coming!

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So glad all is going well. A little rotor rooter is always helpful! [Big Grin]

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

terry, that was cute about the rotor rooter ....

lou b was saying to me, he wished they'd just insert a zipper for all the times he's been thru this ordeal ! [Smile]

what a great sense of humor; it helps during these trying/crying times.

Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou,

Glad to hear that you are doing well!!!

Sounds like you are really working hard to get your heart in the best shape possible! Congrats for that!

Hope things continue to go well for you...keep us updated.

Sounds like you will have a very fun and well deserved vacation!

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lou,

Very happy to hear that you are okay. You sound like you are a pretty tough contender.

When you have a big heart like you do, it can only get stronger. Stay well and enjoy your vacation [group hug] [Smile]

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoSublyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you keep getting better and better! Take care.
Posts: 345 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to see you dong better Lou! I think Labrat had some good advie! Go out and enjoy life!

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Lou!! Glad to know you are doing "OK" ... hope you won't have to have defibrillator... but if you do... then you need it!!

That heart stuff is really scary stuff. I know I have benefited immensely from my continuing cardiac rehab!

Keep up the good work!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou B
Administrator
Member # 64

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lou B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone who posted,
Thank you for the support and the well wishes ... much appreciated!

Hey LabRat,
We (you and I ... and a few others) been here on LymeNet a VERY long time. How ya doin'?
You ask my age ... 67 and counting! I'm glad to hear from another person with an ICD. From what I've heard so far I'm almost looking forward to getting one implanted. My cardio doc refuses to mess with my meds for all the reasons you talk about. I've been working my "bucket list" since my heart attack. We are NOT getting a puppy ... my big, old (19+ years) Maine Coon would object to a puppy!

Hi Ali,
I went V-fib (cardiac arrest) twice enroute to the hospital and was defibbed back both times by the heroic paramedics ... didn't see "the light"!
Yep, I'm the long term competitive runner with bad genes ... I showed up after the heart attack in cardiac rehab pushing the envelope and kept getting shut down because "you're going to push yourself into heart failure". In time, we found a balance and, by some miracle, I'm continuing to improve. I guess I should add "Run a 5K race" to my bucket list!

I enjoy life every day and I hope you all get healthy enough to do the same ... Life is Good!

--------------------
Lou B
 -

Posts: 2200 | From Mount Hope, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looking
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou, you have a great attitude and a "good heart" even though it's compromised physically. Wishing you the best in managing this condition.
Posts: 590 | From Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is SUCH good news!!!!

God Blesses Us AGAIN!!!

Trout ;-)

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

lou, 5 k run .... good for you!! you're keeping all those docs on their toes .... thanks for sharing more news with all members here.

lou, you're our new ROLE MODEL; i know you'd rather NOT be, but your took the lemon and made lymeaid out of it. [Smile] hugs my friend

Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you are back, Lou. Sounds like you have a good team to keep your dicky ticker (Brit. term) ticking. Hang in there!
Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Lou,

So glad to hear of the improvements. I think you can WOW them all! Swimming with Dolphins - how fabulous.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou,
Our thoughts are with you...so sorry you have had to go through yet more trials and tribulations, but so glad you are with us and feeling so positive and hopeful!

xoxoxxo

Tracy and Blake

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking forward to hearing how the swimming with the Dolphins goes!!

That was on my list before lyme and company.

I like your positive attitude. Hugs.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sending many prayers and well wishes for continued recovery your way.

Much love to you and Angela as always, M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melodymaker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melodymaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most importantly, I am praying for you. I also appreciate all you've done here for those suffering with Lyme.

When I was in my 30s and having problems with tachycardia and arrythmias, I found the nutritional supplement Brewers Yeast to be very helpful. I also took acidophilus so I would not develop an yeast overgrowth.

I mention this only as it made such a huge difference for me, and it may for you also. It actually alleviated the arrythmias. It supplies B vitamins, many minerals and an amino acid profile.

When I mentioned to my MD that it seems also to act as a diuretic, she said it has long been known in the medical community to have that effect.

I read about the brewers yeast in a book by nutritionist Adelle Davis... Let's Get Well. Hope to meet her in heaven one day to say thanks. =)

Have fun swimming with the dolphins, and try the snorkling while you are in the keys. A very relaxing experience. Wishing you showers of blessings!

--------------------
Wishing You Showers Of Blessings!
Lyme since Fall 1983 = Diagnosed Summer 2008
IV Rocephin 7 weeks Stopped due to drug fever
Now doxycycline
"For I know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 430 | From Sunny South | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your positive attitude.

Prayers your way for continued healing and good health today and in the future.

You are an inspiration to us all.

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...

They were handing out brains and I thought they said trains and I missed mine.

[Eek!]

Just saw the post and realized it was a recent one!

Good thing MY prayers weren't the ones HE was waiting on to help you.

Sorry for not catching this and responding sooner.

Happy to hear you are doing better!

Hang in there my dear Lou...

We are counting on you!

And a hey to our dear Angela too!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Lou I just saw this also...glad your'e doing as well as possible under the circumstances. I'm in the same age group as you and LabRat, although I've been laid up with a different bunch of innard woes.

Lets all keep as active as we can....getting old is no dam fun. Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LabRat
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LabRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it's not for sissies either Charlie! Seems like if it's not one thing it's something else, or both at once.
A 5k race for lou? That guy is gonna die tired!

I took just the opposite route and babied the sh*t out of myself and my heart function came up

and when I reduced my meds and began to feel human, I went to a gym and bought a little cheapo

heart monitor and slowly started doing things around the house, being careful to keep my pulse

as low as possible to the point of sitting down if it went over 75 bpm. Over time as my heart got

stronger or healed some (I guess) I would creep over (unintentionally) the number I had set for

myself and the new higher number would, after a few times be my new ceiling. I started to acquire

enough confidence to trust myself to be out in the middle of nowhere at the farm, hooking up

heavy equipment or manhandling anything that could not be done with hydraulics, all the while

keeping an eye on my pulse monitor while straining.

The ICD has saved my life twice at age 66, so I am ahead of the game and I am very glad to

have survived as I'm having fun in just about everything I do. There is a draw back, there

always is isn't there. The good part is, this thing will quickly ``pase'' you through and out of

V-tack almost before you are aware of any change without a shock. Not to dwell on this but when,

not if, your heart stops, this thing can and will beat the sh*t out of you. It starts shocking

till the heart gets back in rhythm, however long that takes! It nailed me about ten times in a row

before it got me back in rhythm. I ask how do I shut this thing off if I want too? My doc gave me

a magnet, they called it a donut, and if you want to shut the thing off, you just place the

magnet over the ICD. You die of course but you stop the shocking, your option! I would not like

to go through that again, it took about a year to calm down enough to start enjoying life again

and I am very happy my little friend pulled me through. I have no idea what's on the other side

but the hundred virgins has peaked my interest, now if they could cut that number to, say, two or three.....

[ 09-14-2009, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: LabRat ]

Posts: 1887 | From Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
castleone
Member # 22645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for castleone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lou,

I too had a severe heart attack and underwent
open heart surgery. Damage in my case had occured to the lower chambers of my heart. I have had a long battle with Lyme disease which has contributed to the heart problems. I have improved my left ventricular function with strict adherence to my heart medicines and regular basic exercise. I was a candidate for an ICD but with improved LF function that will be placed on hold for the time being. I hope that you are doing well

Posts: 2 | From northern california | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement