LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Asthma.....what really causes it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Asthma.....what really causes it?
2roads
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know exactly what is going on in the body, and what causes it.

To me, asthma medication is to breathing as pain pills are to Fibromyalgia. A band aid for an unknown cause and treatment.

My daughters boyfriend has asthma since 6 yrs old. He is now 16.

He is trying to convince her she has it. He even gave her some of his inhaler tonight after she had a hard time grasping for air after swimming the 500 free style.

She took it. I am so mad.

That is a steroid....she can't have that. If this is some chlorine induced issue, then she's done swimming. Her immune system is shot because she doesn't eat right, sleep right or do stress relieving exercises. She has alot of pressure on her as HS swimming is starting, and she's the best free and fly the team has.

I am so mad.

I can't take any more health issues.

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2roads,

i don't know the cause either but a few years back finally dx w/asthma too.

those inhalers work WONDERS FOR ME! this is 1 time i'll take steroids for that and plugged up nose.

my cpap has made it better for me not coughing all night long and not being plugged up while sleeping.

hope this helps you a little; they are good for my health. go figure [Smile] hugs/kisses

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty,

What would you say were your asthma symptoms?

Plus, how can this be because it is a steroid?

My daughter gets out of breath. She said the tightness was just above the breast.

Thanks the big bronchial tubes up there isn't it?

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

...most importantly, how do you diagnose it???

RRRRRRR [rant]

Thanks Betty [kiss]

glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Don't know how to dx it, but I had the rush me to the ER via ambulance for over 40 yrs type asthma. (Inhalers, steroids, o2 etc.)

In my research I discovered that certain worms migrate to the lungs before they settle in the small intestine.

I am asthma free and on NO meds for it since I treated myself with antiparasitics and salt/c. I really believe parasites/worms to be a major factor in asthma. Hope this gives you some insight,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

In a good number of cases it appears that allergies are the cause.

And it does'nt have to be just airborne allergies. I know swimmers that hane become allergic to chlorine after a while.

You may want to explore www.naet.com about allergies and non-drug treatment for them/

glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI..

Allergies are on the symptom list for parasites

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Gael I did not mention that 'cause you had.
2roads
Member # 4409

I just don't understand this.

I have spent 7 years unravelling the mystery of lyme to have my daughter falling on her face this weekend at a swim meet due to this onset of asthma.....what the U*(&POI&_)(*U_)

This is a child who had such a future in swimming, to just crash...and from what.....another mystery diagnosis????I hate life

2roads
Member # 4409

...now I gotta find a reason for this and a cure...

I don't believe in swimmers asthma. I mean, I know it exists! But what the hell is it? How can it just turn on?

I am so sick of fighting health. I want to be left alone!!!

Why am I always tortured

feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey 2roads,

I think that I can offer a little info here. I was an athlete my whold life. Never had asthma or asthma symptoms.

Cut to the last 3-4 months. I have had trouble breathing, chest pressure, shortness of breath. I thought that it was 'just babesia'.

After some really scary symptoms, my doctor decided to schedule me for a full pulmonary function study..this is what your daughter will need in order to diagnose or r/o asthma. It is about an hour long test.

Lo and behold, I came up as asthmatic. 50% function of my small airways, other 50% NOT working.

I then went to an allergy/immunologist to determine if there was an allergic component to the asthma. R/O that. So on to an inhaler I went.

I discussed at length with the doctor about lyme and steroids not mixing. He rx'ed me an inhaler that he thought would be the least amt. of steroids for starters. It is called Flovent.

If you have asthma, it really is a necessity to get the inflammation down in the airways. If you do not treat, the airways can scar and then we are in even bigger trouble.

I have used the inhaler 2x day for almost 2 weeks now and do not recognize any adverse affects as far as my TBI symptoms go. He also gave me an inhaler to use pre-exercise called Xopenex HFA. I haven't exercised (can't at the present time) so I can't tell you how effective this might be.

I hope that this info helps. I think disease (TBI's) may be responsible, but who knows? Bottom line is that this should not be ignored. The small amt. of steroid is a better alternative than not breathing.

Good luck and I hope that your daughter will be able to have a wonderful swimming season.

I would get her tested asap,
Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

2 roads, i logged off right after i posted my comment early this am so just getting on today.

feelfit gave you a really good explanation; she and i went thru basically the same thing ... the extensive testings.

xopenex is what i use at night when i'm plugged up! just used it last night again.

i became short of breath alot and the other symptoms she discussed above.

check out this NIH asthma link from their medical library ..

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/asthmainchildren.html

2roads
Member # 4409

That is just it.

Here we go. The separate assessment of asthma. I am grateful that there appears to be a test...thanks Feelfit and Betty.

Then, could it be TBD's? More tests, more doctor. We all know that right Kathryn. That possibility is unceasing.

Then could it be parasites. Well, that's just treatment. No reliable test. Right Gael?

....I told her to stay out of the woods. I told her not to go to the great LeBeau Lake house or the park in the woods, I told her to eat healthy and made all good foods she threw away. I told her to sleep and use relaxation techniques she never bothered with.

I told her to take vitamins and pay attention to her immune system.

Now her boyfriend tells her to use his asthma medicines.

I tell her to take the damb Zithromax for two weeks knowing that I am starting another battle but with the other child.

Bang my head

2roads
Member # 4409

ps- Funny, when we took her for her health physical for high school swimming, she marked on the form no breathing probs during exercise or there other. That was 4 days ago.
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I have asthma. I've had it my whole life. It runs in my family. So whatever causes it seemes to be genetic (unless that was just a fluke- my family is super spread out, so it's not related to where we live).

I've tried looking into it, but it was a while ago. I read something that said as air pollution increased, more kids were being diagnosed with/born with asthma.

Inhalers are much safer than other forms of steroids, because they are in much lower concentrations.

Also- you can develop ashtma at any age, or grow out of it. And it doesn't necessarily happen every time you do an activity.

When I was younger, I had to use an inhaler ever morning (and maybe more often, I don't remember) and bring it to school with me.

Now, although I had asthma during rigorous exercise, I don't get it otherwise. When I get asthma, I can feel my throat closing up, not just the lack of air. It's not tightness in my chest.

I find that doing activities which give me asthma (swimming, running, etc), or activities which emphasize breathing (playing an instrument, singing) really help.

It wasn't until I joined my Junior High band that my asthma really started to improve.

Dr.'s are usually really good at diagnosing asthma. There are tests they can do. If you daughter does have asthma, treating it could make her feel a lot better. When you aren't getting enough oxygen, you have no energy, and feel terrible.

I don't think anyone except a doctor can really tell you if it's asthma or not.

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think feelfit mentioned it.. It's basically due to inflammation in the airways. Could be from allergies, could be from LYME. (or other infections, etc)

Also.. there are two kinds of inhalers. I wonder which one he gave her?

There are steroid inhalers and there are rescue inhalers like Proventil. You have to use the steroid inhalers for several days in order for it to do its job .. so if he gave her that, it wouldn't have worked very well.

SOME steroid inhalers DO have the "open airways" action .. so if he had one of those, it would have worked for her.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TylerAdam
Member # 20436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TylerAdam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I've recently developed mild asthma symptoms since stopping my lyme meds for two months.

My symptoms are very similar to my hay fever symptoms i usually get around July time.

I've never had this in late October before. It's also not exactly the same as my usual allergy.

I had a yeast problem and I'm wondering if it's the remnants from that or Lyme spirochaetes causing an allergic reaction in my airway/lungs - who knows.

My regular doctor has prescribed me an inhaler as an experiment - diagnostic tool.

I said if the inhaler is steroid based I couldn't have one. He reassured me that is NOT STEROID based.

So as Lymetoo said some of the inhalors don't use steroids.

The one prescribed to me is salbutamol sulphate based http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salbutamol
and is called Ventolin Evohaler 100 micrograms. http://www.ventolin.com/

I've never used one before and haven't tried it yet. Maybe tonight I'll give it a blast if I need too!

I also know someone who's son used possibly the same one between the ages 6-16 and is now 23 and is asthma free.

Just a point that these things don't seem to be addictive [Smile]

Posts: 47 | From Yorkshire, UK | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 roads, I don't have a great answer, just a long one..

My grandmother had allergies to dust and feathers. My aunts all had some issues with some of this and codene. My mom seems to have seasonal allergies only.

I on the other hand have been diagnosed with exercise induced asthma, sleep with a C-Pap and take allergy meds. With allergy tests, I have a basket full of things I am sensitive to. I only take meds as needed, mostly seasonaly and do not do hard exercise due to this and a major surgery.

Both of my children have allergies and one has been diagnosed with exercise induced asthma. She could have been a state cross country runner before this and the worst of her tick borne symptoms set in.

I suspect some of this is genetic due to the above info..But I also wonder if mold isn't a big player. My lymie gets as sick with mold as she does due to Lyme. Pools and locker rooms are cesspools for Mold.

Good luck..But at the least no one should be giving her meds without testing and a drs orders. lmt

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LF
Member # 9168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have recently been researching asthma for my sister, and came across this: Chlamydia pneumoniae.

You can read more about Chlamydia pneumoniae, asthma, the research on it, and the doctor who wrote the studies and treats C.P. successfully, at http://www.asthmastory.com/steps.asp. I don't have personal knowledge of this, or the doctor, but I thought it might help you in your search.

Good luck.

Posts: 5 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lf,

thanks for that but the link doesn't work. Sure would like to read that article as I have Chalmydia pneumoniae too.

Thanks,
Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I googled for asthma and white blood cells. The one that came up is eosinophils, one of the granulocytic white blood cells that release toxins from its granules when irritated.

Says eosinophils accumulate where there is a reaction in airways to irritants, and that their toxins can damage the airways.

I am not a medically trained person - just looked this up just now.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

I found the link: www.asthmastory.com after reading, I find it very likely that my newly diagnosed asthma is caused by TBI's/virus...esp CPN since I am positive for it.

Robin, interesting about the eosinophils. My blood smear from Clongen also noted high Eosinophils...My blood draws for eosinophils, however, have been in the normal range?

I would bet that our asthma, diagnosed while TBI infected is a direct result of the infections. So technically, get rid of the infection and breathing should be easier.

TylerAdam
Member # 20436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TylerAdam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted in this thread a while ago and just thought I would let you all know what the cause of my asthma type symptoms actually were.

A cat allergy! Just 2 hours per week in a friends house who has one cat caused my symptoms!!!

The cycle was:

1. Visit friends house Thursday 8pm ish for two hours (not touching the cat as I knew I was allergic but only it making my eyes go bloodshot and itch).

2. Air hunger starts 10pm on the night of the visit - I would breath but didn't feel like I was getting enough oxygen and I had a slight wheeze.

3. This would last for three days or more.

4. Then develop into a ruttle on my lungs and hard to shift phlegm on the lungs. This would last for up to two weeks to clear.

5. Repeat the cycle before it had got better - so I never got better.

I have stopped visiting the house and alls well - 'perfect' breathing again. My friend call on me the other day and just the fumes from their clothes gave me minor wheezing later in the day.

This is an eye-opener for me - Never underestimate allergies!

Bottom line ... If you have asthma get allergy tested just in case.

Posts: 47 | From Yorkshire, UK | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asthma is an autoimmune disorder. I have had it all my life and just recently was told by a physician that it is autoimmune. It makes sense, since I do go into remission with it from time to time.

And of course autoimmune means, they don't know what causes it. Anyway, I would say "something" causes your body to attacks itself. And with asthma it attacks the bronchial tubes.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Body misidentifies cat hair as a threat. Body overreacts + inflammation occurs.
LymeLearned
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeLearned     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WELL...I've been thinking. Year after year, we dragged our family to the Yosemite Valley Floor for tent camping. I got Fibromyalgia, headaches, degenerative disk disease and severe arthritis in my neck, now presumed from a long, slow brewing Lyme infection, and I believe it.

Animals are ALL OVER the campers, stealing food, and posing for photos. They're NOT wild, and they're NOT on Frontline, and Northern California has become endemic right behind Connecticut as birds migrated west.

At age 8, my son developed severe asthma, and ADD. Hmmm. He's 21 now, and better, but one has to wonder. Oddly enough, he stopped having acute breathing crises after he took up smoking. YUK!

Still this baffles me, and I suspect he'll be hit again down the line if he doesn't stop.

Hey, Rember Nicole Bottles? Google: W5 CA Out of the Wild. She is very ill with Lyme and says, "Well, I have breathing problems. That was the first thing that started."

It's a great report. One of the best I've seen.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20091113/w5_lyme_091114/20091114?s_name=W5

--------------------
"SEVEN LYME FACTS THAT COULD HAVE SAVED ME" VISIT ME AT:

http://www.youtube.com/TickedOffLiterally

Posts: 183 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Thanks everyone.

I am going to print this out and look over it with my daughter.

I do believe there are underlying issues.

She is seemingly okay right now, but that could change. Especially when she swims, she seems more winded then she ever used to.

Thank you all so much-

2roads

karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
asthma can be a genetic disorder called
alpha one antitrypsin deficiency.

There is a cheap labtest at any lab for alpha one antitrypsin.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inflammation

The root of all evils.....

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Renee K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Renee K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chronic inflammation,
should be looking for the cause of that instead of masking symptoms

Posts: 130 | From Central NY | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IMHisda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IMHisda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
inflammation is it! The odd thing is after 9 mos. on IV antibiotics (especially Claforin) mine went away and now it's back!

--------------------
RV

Posts: 249 | From Healing in USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement