LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » How long does it take to get "better" ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How long does it take to get "better" ?
gridmonster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gridmonster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing the Lyme meds thing for about 9 months, now. (I.V. rocephin for about 3 months.) I've seen very slight improvements as far as brain fog and memory, but my fatigue level is still insane, and I still can't sleep well.
I know that there are people here who have been living with lyme for years. Am I just being impatient?

Posts: 135 | From Orlando, Florida | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gridmonster,

I understand your impatience.

I have been treating with orals for 9 months.

I had lyme for 21 years before starting treatment.

I have seen some small improvements.

One recent improvement in the level of pain on the left side of my neck is encouraging.

My LLMD told me it could take as many years to get well as it took me to get sick.

Of course we are hoping it takes alot less time than that.

Have you treated for babesia? Untreated babs can hinder recovery.

I started sleeping better after hormone testing and starting bioidentical hormones.

Keep the faith. There are alot of other people who are in the same boat.

Wishing you more improvement!!

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gridmonster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gridmonster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Than you for your response, Dekrator48. I've been treated for Bart and Babs, at least that's what my LLMD tells me. I sincerely wish you well, and continued healing.
Posts: 135 | From Orlando, Florida | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBarb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BugBarb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is the progress of the antibiotics killing off the bacteria.
With that you get the nasty sick herx reactions and some feeling better.

There is the progress of your body structures healing themselves because they aren't being eaten up by lyme/toxins anymore.
This is a slow process, especially with nerve damage.

I've been on oral's for 10 months now.
I'm still sick.
I get times of feeling good.
However, when I feel bad, I'm not as hellishly miserable as I was earlier in the year.

I have had wonderful success in treating the cognitive symptoms....forgetfullness...well basically swiss cheese memory.......
I started taking
NAAMENDA
It is an alzheimer's drug.
They have handed out one month sample packs to several of my doctors.
It is worth it to try it out.

I noticed an improvement in two doses.
After a couple of weeks.....I was in awe
I kid you not, this drug has given me my brain back....
mostly,
most of the time.
Sure, there are times where I just don't function.
But
My overall level of cognitive functioning has improved 99%
If after the one month free trial pack, you don't have improvement....no harm done
not usually bad side effects

So, lyme is a long road
recovering from it is unlike any other illness

I am on my second round with this disease...
note my membership number
I started back in the dark ages.....

Do whatever you need to, to get better.
Antibiotics
supplements
psychiatric meds
using meds off label use (like namenda)
counseling
friends online
support group (I had to start one)
spiritual support
exercise
anything......

--------------------
Lyme is like the flu. You can get it and recover, but you can always get it again.

Posts: 607 | From (deer tick)Heaven! Angeles National Forest | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
O2Btickfree2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for O2Btickfree2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh how i wish i could tell you a time frame.
However there are so many factors that everyone of us have that may or may not make the time frame long or short.

Things like co infections
How long you were infected
your personal health and on and on

I hope for you its short but be ready for the long haul. I know its disappointing but you will eventually feel better. It took me 8 years. I was in bed a lot and had days i could do stuff and days i could not. I tried to enjoy the days i could and knew it was but for the momment. Finally for 6 years i got better. I had a relaps recently.

I think it was due to several sever falls and it started them going again.

It will get better so just hang in there.

Posts: 112 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBarb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BugBarb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time with Lyme, I thought it was MS.
Lyme is much preferable a diagnosis.....
there is treatment, hope
and
knowing things will improve
unlike with MS

The second time with Lyme,
it was slow progressing peripheral neuropathy pain....
When there was no diagnosis, my hope began to fade.
It took 2.5 years of suffering with no hope, to get a diagnosis.
Now, I have hope.
I know I will get better.
I have faith I will get well.
I did it once before.
I can do it again.
HOPE, belief that with the help of God, doctors and antibiotics is what will get us through.
It is a hard road, but it isn't a dead end.

--------------------
Lyme is like the flu. You can get it and recover, but you can always get it again.

Posts: 607 | From (deer tick)Heaven! Angeles National Forest | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gridmonster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19280

Thanks, everybody. I have to keep reminding myself...it's a marathon, not a sprint.
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenny76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gridmonster:
Thanks, everybody. I have to keep reminding myself...it's a marathon, not a sprint.

This is exactly what my LLMD keeps reminding me of.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, it just takes time. You will get there. [Smile]

--------------------
Never, Never, Never give up!

Posts: 395 | From Connecticut | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as it takes. Wasn't that profound? thinking of you Gridmonster, hang in there.
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting ready to market a fast forward remote control.

I will let you know when I have it finished. HA!

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkpixiedust211
Member # 14828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkpixiedust211   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had Lyme for 4 1/2 years.. I've only been on antibiotics since 2007 so it's been 2 1/2 years of abx including 3 months on orals which didn't do a thing,

5 months on IV rocephine, 4 months of IV doxy, then something else for 2 months then vanko micine (sp?) for 9 months. Is that right? Bah close enough.

Got my PICC out June 2, 2009. I'm weird but, I miss it so much!! I got so used to my balance with it when I skate. But
I still have the tiny dot scar on my arm yay [Big Grin]

Found out I was getting worse rather than going into a remission like my dr thought. Rheumatoid Arthritis is now part of the Laura family.

Still on antibiotics, but orals. Definitely less effective, for me, than IV but whatever. I'm better but I'm worse.

The problems I was having early on are still affecting my life but, in a more intense way mostly.

So. Still waiting for the day when I get to experience one day, one hour or even one minute without head pain.(that's the worst pain for me.) no dizziness would rock too.

Anyway, to not answer your question, it took me more than 2.5 years to feel better. Some people are luckier than others when it comes to recovery.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em9OeiLkHUQ
www.twitter.com/kailua720

Lymie since 2005
Live well, love much, laugh often

Posts: 17 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement