LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » college applications - should a prospective student disclose that they are ill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: college applications - should a prospective student disclose that they are ill?
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your opinions are appreciated.....

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathryn
Member # 17034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathryn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My oldest daughter started college while still

fighting Borrelia, Babesia and Bartonella. She

did not tell them until she started classes that

she was sick. When she started missing classes,

we were ready with a letter from our LLMD

explaining her diagnosis and how some days are

good, and other days she would not be able to

attend classes and that he felt the classes

should be excused. We worked through someone who

specifically worked with new Freshmen and their

families, and he was very helpful in notifying

her professors what was going on. We found that

the more communication my daughter had with the

faculty about her problems, the better the

response. Hope this helps!

Posts: 78 | From South | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

You do not need to disclose if you are ill when you are applying. Once you've been accepted, you (or whoever the student is) could look into options for special considerations, if you felt it was necessary.

Your state of health has nothing to do with your application- universities have to accept people regardless of any disabilities or ill health.

Best of luck!

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter is currently in remission, and therefore her extra curricular activities are many this year.

I felt that it may be in her favor to explain how fatigued she was the first 3 years of HS so that she is judged fairly.

I think that it is the right thing to do since they are asking for a parent statement, not sure if she will agree.

Thank you for the replies, need to think on this some more.

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, ok. I thought you meant you would talk to them about the fact that she would/could have medical issues in the future,not that she had them in the past. Now that I see what you mean, I think explaining it to them could be good.
Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Opti - all very good points - thank you.

Our oldest took the untimed test, and qualified for assistance in college (now in year 2).

This daughter has been doing well, she is applying to a pretty competitive college. They asked for a parent statement - that is where I was going to mention her illness and how much she has improved, now in remission.

They look at not only scores (which are good) but how involved she has been (or not).

Thanks again for your insight, very helpful.

--------------------

cb

pinkpixiedust211
Member # 14828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkpixiedust211   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My college essay was actually on my Lyme and how it affected me. I got very sick beginning of freshman year of HS when I was 14.

I am 18 now and still terribly ill unfortunately. I wrote how it affected my schoolwork and test grades and kept me from doing extractrriculars.

I also told them how dealing with this disease will help me be a better teacher. I will be patient and understanding when my students don't understand something.

I included how being sick led me to my true passion in life, figure skating. Without skating, I don't think honestly I could have fought the pain as long as I have.

I applied to 8 schools including Boston University, The college of nj and umaryland. I was accepted to all 8 and chose my dream school, university of Delaware. [Smile]

Lucky girl in remission. Tell her congrats and good luck from Laura okay?

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em9OeiLkHUQ
www.twitter.com/kailua720

Lymie since 2005
Live well, love much, laugh often

Posts: 17 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Hi pink - you sound like a lucky girl too - being able to have the talent and ability to figure skate !! I envy you.

My older daughter who is in college now sounds like you, but she did not have a sport to help her through HS. It was rough. She is in her second year - out of state so far away - still in tx. She has been able to get assistance when needed - extra time on testing and quiet testing locations versus a large classroom.

This daughter is different in her needs. I wanted to handle it the best way to benefit her, while still respecting her privacy. We came to an agreement last night, my parent statement does mention her illness. I think what we did was the best approach for her situation.

Congrats to you for being accepted to 8 schools! I have seen UofD, my niece went there. It is a beautiful campus.

You hang in there, remission will come - or better yet our long awaited cure. Don't ever let LD take your dreams away. You sound like a strong young woman, I wish you every happiness, and of course most of all wellness!

--------------------

cb

pinkpixiedust211
Member # 14828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkpixiedust211   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by njlymemom:
Hi pink - you sound like a lucky girl too - being able to have the talent and ability to figure skate !! I envy you.

My older daughter who is in college now sounds like you, but she did not have a sport to help her through HS. It was rough. She is in her second year - out of state so far away - still in tx. She has been able to get assistance when needed - extra time on testing and quiet testing locations versus a large classroom.

This daughter is different in her needs. I wanted to handle it the best way to benefit her, while still respecting her privacy. We came to an agreement last night, my parent statement does mention her illness. I think what we did was the best approach for her situation.

Congrats to you for being accepted to 8 schools! I have seen UofD, my niece went there. It is a beautiful campus.

You hang in there, remission will come - or better yet our long awaited cure. Don't ever let LD take your dreams away. You sound like a strong young woman, I wish you every happiness, and of course most of all wellness!

I got a lot of amazing help from Disabilities at school this year. Time and a half for exams, volunteer note taker, and use of a computer to write any essays for exams.

It's funny you said don't let LD take my dreams away.. I had to withdraw from UD 3 weeks ago because I had a terrible med interaction and missed 2 weeks of class I was so sick.

And now I am going through a miserably exhausted all of the time phase. It's bad, I woke up at 4pm a few times the first week I was home.

Anyway thank you for the compliments, they were muchly appreciated. Good luck to your daughter(s) [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lymie since 2005

Posts: 17 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

hey pink - so sorry to hear that this happened

but OTM has given you sound advice

my humble advice is just don't give up on your dream - this is a set back - but not the end to your goals and certainly not the end of UD

you take care - wishing you wellness

--------------------

cb

pinkpixiedust211
Member # 14828

^thank you both. My plan is to go back for the spring semester, IF I am well enough, and think I will stay well. I wouldn't have withdrawn if I had gotten better and hadn't stayed sick. I'm extremely sick right now.

Based on the new medical issues we have discovered in the last few weeks, I made the right decision. I couldn't get the care I need if I was at UD at this time. Praying everything sorts itself out in time for February. [Smile]

good luck and god bless to you both.

--------------------

Lymie since 2005

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement