LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » You're invited to a wake for Charlie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You're invited to a wake for Charlie
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

A wake is a ceremony associated with death.
Traditionally, a wake takes place in the house of the deceased, with the body present; however, modern wakes are often performed at a funeral home or a relative's home after the ceremony.

as per Wikipedia

We are planning to have an informal "wake" for Charlie,

on Sunday, December 27, 2009,
at 8:00 p.m. Eastern time,

in the Lyme chat room.
http://client11.addonchat.com/sc.php?id=306727

This is the chat room associated with the Lyme Friends site. http://www.lymefriends.com/

Unless the procedure is changed, you'll need a name and password to enter.

Email evanclub at hotmail dot com
with name and password you want to use, unless you're already registered.
He might ask for verification of your identity.

Carol

Editing to add: there will be a guest password to use.
Check here, before the wake.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Carol. I will plan to be there.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about this.
Charlie made many friends over the years.
Many of these friends no longer speak to each other.

There were various fights and betrayals, and harsh words were spoken.

But Charlie cared about all of you.

So even if you can't stand each other, be nice.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brianbradley
Member # 23751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brianbradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol,

I will try to be there, I have sent in a request for a username and password. I'll look forward to reading some of the things that you all have to say about my Dad.

Brian

Posts: 5 | From Flower Mound Texas | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How nice of you Brian. We look forward to having you there.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
carol-

I'll be there. Thanks.

dilly

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol,

Thanks for posting this.

I'm sorry though, I just can't be there. My heart is still broken and the topic is still too painful.

I feel it is best (for me) to mourn and pray in private at this time. I hope you all understand.

And actually, I can't remember how it worked way back, but isn't the chat a place where the posts all disappear when the night is done?

I was just thinking it would be nice to be able to read the comments later when I am more up to it.

Or is it able to be saved now? Any way possible?

[group hug]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

TC, no the posts are not saved, unless there is something I am unaware of. If there is a way to do it, it will be posted here.

--------------------
Lymednva

MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't wait to meet you Btian.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissyBW
Member # 23740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissyBW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be there as well.

Missy

Posts: 2 | From Texas | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol- werent some IP's banned from the LF chat because of what you posted below? Will they be able to access this service for Charlie?

quote:
Originally posted by Carol in PA:
I was thinking about this.
Charlie made many friends over the years.
Many of these friends no longer speak to each other.

There were various fights and betrayals, and harsh words were spoken.

But Charlie cared about all of you.

So even if you can't stand each other, be nice.

Carol

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Regarding the ip's that were banned.......
I don't know.

If it were up to me, I would unban everyone for this.
Well, almost everyone, heh.

The people who were friends with Charlie need to be able to share their stories.

But if certain people don't "play nice," it's going to be way too exciting, and cause problems.

Some people don't seem to be able to control themselves.

Carol

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for setting this up. In order to save a chat session, the chat room has to be upgraded at about an $80 cost I believe. The only other option is for someone to periodically copy and paste it every few minutes throughout.

Any volunteers?

I really appreciate that this was set up. Have you posted it on Cave's forum? I think they look over here periodically, I can send them an email also.

Obviously this will be very painful, but all wakes are. I just want to clarify that the chat really is free standing from Lyme Friends, it has existed for a long time. We just made it so you can access it from Lyme Friends, and it has evolved so that most people come to it from Lyme Friends now, but it really is a stand alone chat.

We should probably post reminders about it here more often like we used to.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yes, some IPs are banned from chat. There are only a few. If any of them want to attend the wake, they can pm Carol....I can't think of anyone who is banned who would want to be there, but if they do I think we can give them a chance, as long as they know if they don't follow the rules they will be kicked out.

** edited to remove member's name at that member's request **

[ 12-27-2009, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

--------------------

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since it is a memorial service of its own kind, I support the idea of the cut and paste record for those who would like to read it later on.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sylvie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, I live in France, and Charlie was an old friend of mine, he was one of the Lymies who welcomed me on this board 11 years ago. Though 8PM eastern time is a difficult time for me (it is middle of the night in Europe), I will try to show up. My thoughts go to Jenny and Brian.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 142 | From Paris, France | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlie's favorite topic when visiting MY state once was ALL the pivot irrigation systems running at once all summer(it is a site to behold)

he always wanted a 'racing pivot' after that. THAT is only funny when you see how fast these move,,,NOT!!! More like watching the tortoise move.

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was Carol, Evan, and myself who arranged this.

Charlie has been memorialized here on Lymenet and that is where folks who didn't frequent chat should post there condolences -

It was only in the interest of letting those regular chatters know a special time has been put aside that Carol posted this.

Chat was separate from this and I wish to share my chat memories of Charlie only with Charlie's friends from chat and not the whole Lyme community.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy, Please refrain from using my real name when you choose to address me publicly on LN. There are reasons I have a SN please respect that or dont reply to my posts. My question was directed to Carol. Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by Tracy9:
And yes, some IPs are banned from chat. There are only a few. If any of them want to attend the wake, they can pm Carol....I can't think of anyone who is banned who would want to be there, but if they do I think we can give them a chance, as long as they know if they don't follow the rules they will be kicked out.

** edited to remove member's real name **

[ 12-27-2009, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
acorn-

am i invited? i haven't been on chat for many months.

dilly

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sadly i don't remember charlie but i want each of you to remember him and his family.

we're here for such a short time but the pain of loss can be felt for many years.

i will be thinking of his family and sharing my tears with them.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to sign up,I didn,t have a picture.

Now i forgot my password,so I cant get anywere .

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Of course you are Dilly! You spent hours on chat with Charlie.

--------------------
Lymednva

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

This is a way for Charlie's chat friends to remember and mourn.

I don't think the transcript should be copied and posted to other places.

Some people have already contacted me and said this will inhibit their spontaneity.

Carol

brianbradley
Member # 23751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brianbradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The olny reason I wanted to capture it was for my edification

Brian

Posts: 5 | From Flower Mound Texas | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes please dont copy it. seems tacky.

thank you for this post I wouldnt have known otherwise.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Brian, you can always copy and paste it into a word processing program, for your and Missy's personal use, and to share with Jenny, when the time is right.

Other than that I see no reason to copy things. You may want to ask Carol about this when you enter chat tonight.

Try logging in a bit early. I'm sure some of us will be there then.

--------------------
Lymednva

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got home earlier than expected and thought MAYBE I could try the Lyme Chat tonight.

I had originally assumed that with it being posted here on Lyme Net, with instructions on how to join the chat, that it meant everyone was invited to attend.

So, is it true that ONLY Lyme Chat people are allowed to be there now and this isn't an open invitation?

What about those who have been on Lyme Chat in the past but don't currently chat on a regular basis?

I certainly don't want to be there if we are not invited ... so please clear this up if you will.

Thanks.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brianbradley
Member # 23751

Tincup,

Please attend, you're welcome to be there and it would be highly appreciated.

b

MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

I'm so sorry

EVERYONE is welcome. I just do not want to copy and paste that's all.

--------------------
 -

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Help,call me if you have a number

I cant get there no how

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

don, sent you a pm
brianbradley
Member # 23751

Don, can we do anything to help you get in?
Tincup
Member # 5829

Just Don...

The sign on the Chat Door said.. "No toads allowed".

[lol]

Actually... I just saw this post... and just left the chat. Didn't know you couldn't get on. Sorry!!!

FYI- I posted a couple of times that although I can't speak for you both....

That you and Melanie would have probably liked them to know how much you cared about Charlie .. and how he cared about you all... and if you could have, you would have been there.

Hope that was ok?

That chat was hard to keep up with... and funny, as well as sad in a way...

But having those in his family who were the closest to Charlie coming there and sharing made it feel like Charlie was there...

And that made me smile. I am glad I went to chat.

Good night...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need a 'password' to get into Lyme Chat.
Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

For a password email [email protected] with your user name and password of your choice.

--------------------
Lymednva

lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I missed this as I thought a lot of Charlie. So, his family probably needs to know there are more of his friends around lymenet than showed up at the chat.

He offered to help me more than once, and was one of those quiet helper type people that the world needs more of.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank-you, lymednva, I will email Evan.
Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Thank you Acorn, Carol, and Evan for setting this up. It was very well done, incredibly well attended, and a great chance to talk about Charlie, get to know his children, and feel a sense of comraderie with others around our loss.

It was a wonderful thing you did, and highly successful. Again, I am very grateful to the three of you for organizing this.

--------------------

kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I missed this. I had planned on stopping in but thought in my mind I still had time.

I was on lyme time.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Kam- i sure know what you mean about Lyme time- my clock is almost set to it... [bonk] [bonk]
imanurse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imanurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry I was not in attendance. I did not know of Charlie's passing until know or I would definitely have been there. I am sorry I have not been more present and am very sad for my lyme chat friends and his family who loved him so.

I am glad you were able to come together to honor him.

--------------------
**Eat Chocolate**

Posts: 942 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement