LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Exercise: Hikers, Walkers, Crawlers 1/25-1/31

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise: Hikers, Walkers, Crawlers 1/25-1/31
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I disappeared over the weekend. I was not doing well so I went back on treatment last night.

In a minute I am going to put my creepers on and go to the mail. We are getting rain and all of the snow has turned to slick ice in the driveway. I did my arm exercises this morning. That was the first time in a couple of days.

Hope we all have a good week!

Posts: 1686 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFter the week you had it is good you disappeared over the weekend.

Good luck getting to the mail box...sounds like you might need some spikes for your shoes

Today is Alaskan Lone Wolf's birthday. Happy Birthday to you. [woohoo]

I am feeling trapped in my body this morning. Hoping this afternoon is a bit better.

Thankful I was able to do all I was able to do last week....but it always seems to cause a set back.

[ 01-26-2010, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: kam ]

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that is what creepers are. They are black rubber with cleats on the bottom that stretch over my shoes. They worked wonderfully. But sure wouldn't make it in the fashion world. (Not that I would care...)

Thanks for the reminder, KAM!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Aklnwlf! [woohoo]

Posts: 1686 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah....creepers

5 min, rest, 5 min out a struggle

The people behind me put a piece of wood across a tricky part in the frist creek crossing.

As I left I saw they were looking for a place to cross at the second creek crossing...so hopefully when I go back next time I will be able to get across.

Just walking to the bathroom was a struggle so far today...so looks like down time for the rest of the evening too.

Not so sure it was wise to do the trail but thought it might improve my outlook.

it seems my attitude goes down when my health goes down

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you guys for the happy birthday wishes!

Monday-Those workout videos. Did an exercise with the heavier weights and have injured my left upper back.

On my birthday too! [shake]

I'm hoping I haven't injured it too badly but it hurts like the dickens.

Might have to take it a little easy this week until that area stops hurting.

Took a pain pill and muscle relaxer after me and the hubs came home from my b-day dinner at Longhorn's.

Also sat here with an ice pack.

What a way to finish my big 5-0!!! [lol]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6144 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kgg, I'm so sorry you had to go back on medication. It's never fun, but hopefully this will be the round that is going to 'set you free'.

I'm keeping up with atleast my one walk a night. Still only about 10 minutes but I probably won't start increasing until it warms up a bit.

Kam, Sorry to hear of your struggles. This is one wild roller coaster with ups and downs and I think we ALL want to get off. :-(

Happy Happy Birthday alnwlf. Hope your day was a good one.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melodymaker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melodymaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I was gone for so long. My dear Bill needed Brain surgery to have an aneurysm clipped, so it's been a crazy few months.

He's doing well, and we are back to walking our sheltie each day. Good thing we are in Florida, or we wouldn't be able to go out at all.

Sorry you're having a setback Kam, and hope today is a better day.

Kgg, hope the meds work wonders!

Happy Birthday lone wolf. Hope your back feels better real quick!

Wishing you all improvement each day! Blessings!

--------------------
Wishing You Showers Of Blessings!
Lyme since Fall 1983 = Diagnosed Summer 2008
IV Rocephin 7 weeks Stopped due to drug fever
Now doxycycline
"For I know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 430 | From Sunny South | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Will read what others wrote when I can take it in.

Walked into dog park this am, but quickly walked back out...too much activity there for me.

Went out to trial head nearest home....too much activity there also...a load of wood on a semi truck from Phoenix was being unloaded via fork lift and a generator was very loud as they work on the home that is being built.

But, was able to walk in about 5 min and sit on a fallen snag and have a frap near a creek.

That was the original plan...but had not planned on the noise so had to leave. Still can't get across second creek crossing.

Mr. Camper was not there....guessing he had to find another place to camp until the creeks go down.

Did see Mr. Hiker and his dog Blue...he showed me some great picks he has been taking. He starts out while it is still dark.

He had some pics of the sunrise that looked like fire.

But, the noise of the truck running and the generator and the forklift, and trying to stand on my feet and take in what he was saying was too much so had to cut the trip short.

I did catch the part that he feel a creek this am. I think it helped that I noticed his boots were soaked as well as his trousers all the way up to his bottom.

And he showed me a pic of his boot along side of a bear paw...wow...that bear was big.

Once again, I had the thought of having the goal of walking further down the trail and watching the sun rise as he does in the future.

What a treat that would be. Very nice camera he has. WAs not functioning well enough to figure out what kind it was. But, it had a small screen that you could flip out to see the pics and had a zoom on it that was bigger than most digital.

merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
walked to and from the library about 30 minutes of walking.

I am pooped

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you had a great day Monday, AK!!! Did you get your other greetings??

kam.. Hope you are on the up-swing soon!

kgg.. Oh, so that's what those are called! I have some but didnt' have a name for them. Called them cleats too. May need them by the end of this week....ugh!!

Melody.. Glad your husband is doing much better now!! Whew!!! Wish I had a sheltie or another border collie!

Was headed out to exercise Monday and decided not to go. My back pain had awakened me early in the a.m. .. thought it was OK ..but began to hurt while driving. Chickened out!!

Cathy.. Sounds like you're at least getting some brief walks in!! So much better than a yr ago, right!!?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melodymaker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melodymaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kam:

"But, was able to walk in about 5 min and sit on a fallen snag and have a frap near a creek."

Hey Kam, I saw the word "frap" and thought of the wonderful icecream drinks we used to get in Mass. Is that what you were having??? If so I am sooo jealous.

Glad you got out and had some fresh air. Hope you all are enjoying a nice restful evening. =)

--------------------
Wishing You Showers Of Blessings!
Lyme since Fall 1983 = Diagnosed Summer 2008
IV Rocephin 7 weeks Stopped due to drug fever
Now doxycycline
"For I know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 430 | From Sunny South | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

MM...strarbucks vanilla frap in a bottle...one of my before lyme treats that I have hung on to now and then

Glad you listened to your body tutu

est 15 min on my feet this evening ...still not able to cross the creek...a lady that came after me walked through the creek...she had the right shoes for it

good to be there. but lots of hammering and sawing and generator sounds with the construction site.

Hoping to go out there on the weekend and see what they did.

Small foundation but it is looking much larger now.

I also know the homes in that area have a min sq footage but can't recall what it was...just recalled it was much larger than I would need...

I think about 1200 or 1400 is good for me. I think the min on these were at least 3,000 sq ft but don't trust my memory.

Also wondering how that works with building during the winter with the rain and snow, etc. Did I ask that all ready??

kam
Member # 3410

OK Think I need to take a break from moving my body today...back to the wheel chair for outings to toilet Rosie...I think...we are supposed to get rain and snow today so that could be tricky.
kam
Member # 3410

http://www.hashknifeponyexpress.com/default.asp

these guys will be really moving for 4 days

check out the video in the lower right hand corner

Whow..just noticed they are arriving today after 4 ish.

I went one year but it was too much for me as far as crowds

It was thrilling to see the riders come down the street.

Wondered then how I could see this and avoid the crowds at the Post office.

So much for getting those letters in the mail I was thinking about...too late now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAMxqregInk

kam
Member # 3410

Dr. Joseph Mercola DAILYTIP:

Research is showing that the BEST way to condition your heart and burn fat is NOT to jog or walk steadily for an hour.

Instead, it's to alternate short bursts of high-intensity exercise with gentle recovery periods.

This type of exercise, known as INTERVAL TRAINING or burst type training, can dramatically imp...rove your cardiovascular fitness and fat-burning capabilities.

....OK...wondering what I do is called??? Turtle training??

kam
Member # 3410

Walked into dog park (very short stay), drove up to store front and walked in to pay for gas, on my feet to drop off film and on my feet again to go to decking so Rosie could run and play.

At no time was I "normal" while on my feet...but at least able to get the job done.

[ 01-27-2010, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: kam ]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, kam.. I think you are doing turtle training!! Slow and steady wins the race!! [Big Grin]

Had to miss exercise today... had a follow up mammogram today. First one was questionable .. so very glad to get a clean bill of health today!!! [woohoo]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all!

Going to the ortho tomorrow to check out my injured upper back. Hurts right behind my shoulder blade.

No exercising for me. Will try to walk a little tomorrow.

Glad to read everyone's doing great.

Tutu-I've yet to drag myself in for my mamo. Have had the script for 3-4 months now.....

Oh and btw, went to Coldwater and they didn't have a January sale here. Maybe it's next month. They had some really nice blazers.

I'll let you all know what the doc tells me.

Later!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6144 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Don't put it off, AK!!! [shake]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

kam
Member # 3410

OK..will read what I have been missing later...too difficult right now.

Able to get to Water Therapy this am. This is good.

Est 10 min worth of about 4 different leg exercises and then a few strokes of side and breast stroke.

kgg
Member # 5867

Melodymaker, so glad your husband is well again. That is quite an experience you both had, dealing with an aneurysm.

Aklnwlf, I am so sorry that you hurt your right shoulder. I hope that the doc is able to help you today. Please keep us posted.

Merrygirl, 30 minutes of walking is good! And to one of my favorite places. I love libraries. Although unfortunately, the small one we have here in town is not very good. I was spoiled by the large beautiful one that was near me in Arizona.

Lymetoo, kudos on the clear mammogram. I am putting off having my done too. I am so tired of appointments.

KAM, you have been busy! Go girl!!

I have gone to the mail once and walked the dogs a few times, but have not really been doing much. Laying low. I have not done my arm exercises either. I have had a muscle spasm in my neck. Thankfully, it has resolved but I am not yet doing my arm routine again.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

kgg.. hope that spasm lets up soon!

kam.. Don't overdo!!

me.. waiting on the snowstorm. No exercise this week other than shopping for groceries!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

kam
Member # 3410

Able to walk to the Phoenix tree tonight. ESt 20 min with two rests

A very large Ponderosa pine was upright along with about 2 smaller trees.....the creek that runs through that area looked like it was a stream at one point.

I wanted to head out that way when there was snow on the ground but wasn't able to get across the creeks...

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Rocky's been driving me nuts so took him for a 2 1/2 mile walk yesterday.

Went to the ortho doc and am taking pain pills and muscle relaxers during the day and taking it easy.

Might have a pulled muscle and will start p.t. when the pain decreases in a week or so.

No exercising for awhile, will just do walking.

Thanks for the encouragement gang!

[group hug]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Hope it gets better soon, AK!!! I've had that pain before.. not good! ( a massage may help )

Got about 6" of snow and it's still coming down. May get another 2-3 tonight.

I walked 60 yds to the mailbox!! [Cool]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did my third day on the treadmill today. Started the first two days very gently and only for 15 minutes. Today I did a half hour with a bit more intensity.

After the treadmill, I do some gentle floor exercises, such as pushups, squats, and crunches.

Feeling pretty good, although my left leg has been doing some strange nerve-pain stuff but I think it's finally working itself out.

This sudden burst of physical activity came about because I weighed myself 4 days ago and to my horror, I've gained 10 lbs. in about two months. [Frown]

I was so mad at myself when I saw this that I actually started talking to myself, swearing and calling myself names.

Anyway, I'm going to try to stick to the 30 minutes of treadmill every day, even if I don't feel like it. I'm also going to maybe add some light weight lifting to the couple of floor exercises I do.

Now if I can only keep this mindset and my body doesn't give out on me...

Kam, I second what Lymetoo said....don't overdue it! It's amazing to me how much you've been accomplishing and improving in the past couple of weeks.

Aklnwlf, you go easy too!

Happy Saturday to everyone. [Smile]

Posts: 423 | From Upstate NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

tutu...saw the news a bit on texas ice storms and snow and wondered how you were doing in your neck of the woods.

I was able to take a shower last night

I will read what others have written later as again...brain is not taking in things well this am and out to lunch without me.

tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MelodyMaker, I'm so very sorry to hear about your husband. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I've been bad lately and not putting aside time for my evening walk with the dog. Boooo.

I'm on the NH Lyme Bill Committee and we are fighting a long hard battle. The hearing was last week and lasted 5 hours.

The IDSA was very present and I'm not sure our panel is taking our side seriously, so we now trying to get the people of NH to call their reps this weekend.

I came here just to get my note over on the Advocate board, but you know I can't stop by here without saying "hello" to all of you.

Hugs to all,

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Hi Cathy!! Glad you stopped by!!

Good job, Topaz!!

kam.. I'm in MO, remember? We got about 9 inches of snow. Managed to dig our cars out and hubby was able to drive out (uphill). Just hope we can get to church tomorrow after everything refreezes tonight!!

My exercise was walking thru the snow to take pics of the woods behind us and then cleaning off the cars with hubby. His car looked like an ice cube!

He has a little white Scion XD.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

up

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

kam
Member # 3410

TuTu...

Yep. I remembered you were in the Ozarks...but due to weird way my brain works when I saw the texas report I thought of you....

churches were closed here when it snowed.....i think it was not wanting to clear the parking lots or not having the funds or someone to do that

cathy...i wondered how things went at the hearing....sure hope it gets passed...it has to.

hoping i am able to read what others wrote later...as brain is going on....i take that back..i think it was all ready gone this am.

daisyrlb
Member # 15686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyrlb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kam and tutu sent you PM inbox.

Have a great day!

Posts: 2188 | From Oklahoma | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

walked into dog park and sat and chatted a bit...thankful there were only 3 dogs and people there.

Short stay as the talking and listening was nice but too much for the brain

I learned that the trail head I go to for 5 min is like a lollipop...it has a handle of 1 mile and then a loop of 4 miles.

When doing the loop it is best to start at the other end....the trail head at what I call the healing ranch which is 2 miles on a dirt road out of town.

I think for me...the one mile would be my first goal..but for now I am doing well if I can walk in 10 min...I would think one mile would be 20 or 30 min. Not sure

I also learned that the person at the dog park that I saw on the trail walking through the first 2 creek crossings was not able to do the one mile now due to not being able to cross the next creek crossings.

I would like to see that. Wonder if I will have a time when I can get there before they are gone to see them running full and fast. [Smile]

Est it is 20 min to the 3rd creek crossing.

kam
Member # 3410

Note: for those on facebook...i just posted some pics I was able to take on snow Day
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry i havent been around, I havent been doing anything physical. today I may have strep throat [Frown]

but i may start warm pool therapy in a week or 2.

so maybe then I will have more to contibute!!

good job everyone.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

Still taking it easy.

See you all tomorrow!

[hi]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

Lymetoo
Member # 743

merrygirl.. you'd better get well ASAP!! So sorry to hear that you are ill!!!

kam.. anytime you think about Texas and ME at the same time.. I am honored! I love my Texas!

We made it out of this place and up the hill to church today. It was great to be there!

AK.. how ya doin'?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

kam
Member # 3410

Glad it all worked out Tutu.

Merry Girl...when I first started water therapy, I was not aware that my body functioned better at certain times.

I throw up a lot when I first started and couldn't recall which exercises to do.

I also learned I do better without someone in the room with me, with the lights off and with the pump off.

I don't know where you are with things but just wanted to give you a heads up just in case.

I still can not make it once a week but am beginning to just be happy when I am able to make it and not beat myself up when I am not.

Went out to do the thing where I drive and Rosie runs along side of the car.

But, ended up being on my feet...est 15 min. WAlked up to the house that is being built in that neck of the woods.

Saw the sink hole on the corner of the garage that happen during the last storm.

Someone stole the Spirit Rock street sign.

kam
Member # 3410

http://lymenaide.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/1147/

Tried to start this week's thread but the brain was up to it.

Haven't read the above article yet.

But, it is about exercise and living with lyme

merrygirl
Member # 12041

I was able to go out with friends saturday, paid for it big time sat night and sunday, and today. sore throat is better so didnt go to the doc. Just severe pain.

My son wil be going back to day care next week I hope. then i will do the water therapy. I did it before .

KAm- I feel like getting to the pool is hard enough. Thinking about that just drains me.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement