LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Question about snow- anyone answer except Maddog

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about snow- anyone answer except Maddog
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I ask Maddog I KNOW what his answer will be, so Maddog.. forget it!

He would say... "Watch out where the Maddogs go, and don't you eat no yellow snow!"

My question is... can you eat snow? Or melt it down for drinking water?

I know you can't drink sea water... and I know why you can't... but I am not a cold weather person, so I really don't know about eating snow.

I remember as a kid getting a bowl of snow and putting something sweet on it.. and eating it like it was ice cream, for fun.. but then at that age I also ate mud pies.

So what say you? To eat snow or to not eat snow... that is the question!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well when I was a kid we made snow ice cream when we went to visit relatives in Nebraska.

I haven't eaten any snow lately though. However my little dachshund loves snowballs. It has snowed here 2x this winter(hard to believe), and snowballs are the only way to get her outside. She didn't get sick or anything; but I did limit her to only a couple.

Not sure if its really safe to eat too much snow. Interesting question though.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything in moderation...more importanly what goes best with snow...red or white wine?

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say no snow.

Full of chemicals/metals from all those chem trails they put all across the sky.

If I was desperate and had no water I'd drink it only after I put it through my super duper water filter.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you can eat snow. But, I have learned while watching Man vs Wild and I Shouldn't Be Alive....

that in a survivor situation...it is better to melt the snow down to use as drinking water as it is not good to eat snow in order to get hydrated.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karen Mc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen Mc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im with TS96 on this one. From ALL I've heard it is NO longer safe to eat the snow...chemicals etc in the air.

This makes me VERY sad, as one of my favorite things as a child was the snow cream my mother would make us with sugar and milk.

Everytime it snows it reminds me of the "good times" when I was a child but its not worth the risk..

ESPECIALLY for "us" who are already having a rough time.

IF it was a matter of survival I'd say yes but for any other reason its a no go.

Sorry [Frown]

Posts: 423 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I would eat snow either now. But giving my dog a couple of snowballs, well, it really makes her so happy. And its not like it snows here every day. Heck... not even every year! She thinks its the biggest treat ever!
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi TC

Snow, oh no ,never eat yellow snow.

White snow contains many polutants and mold spores it has picked up from the air.I would leave it for an old bear.

Snow is fun to slide in and fun to ride in.
But to eat it is a sin.

You can wright your name in it in yellow,
but only if you are a fellow.

Snow is a riot, as far as eating it, I woulden't try it.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My kids occasionally get a cup full of fresh snow and add juice or syrup to it.

I don't let them do it as often as they'd like though.

Posts: 423 | From Upstate NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know what? lately, i'm just in the mood that "WTH". we all have to go sometime....

i'd say go for it and enjoy yourself just a litle.

now i'm not saying eat it every single day.

but like people say "there are worse things"...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MADDOG,

would you try in a boat ? or with a Goat?

Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put it in a clear glass to melt. If it looks like something you'd want to drink, then go for it. Eat the snow.
Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou4656
Member # 10300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou4656     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, for goodness sake. Live a little! Many of you have given up wheat, sugar, wine, beer, cigarettes. All for good reason, but you have to have a little fun sometimes. Don't be so serious. Go ahead and indulge in the snow!

And, for those of you who are still sneaking a little sugar in your diet . . . warm a little pure maple syrup to pour over the top of a bowl of clean, white snow. YUMMY!

Another way to eat the snow is to mix milk, sugar and vanilla extract. Heat it gently on the stove and pour a little over the snow. Also Yummy!

Live a little.

--------------------
LouLou

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh gosh, my son eats it all the time; even saves it in the freezer and puts syrup on it that goes with our snow cone maker.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to eat snow every winter when i was a kid. How can you resist? I never tried putting syrup or anything on it though.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of great answers to ponder. And laughs too! Thanks!

I am not really wanting to eat it.. but we tend to loose power here first ... and get it restored last .... so if the electric goes out, so does the water pump.

I've stocked up on water but I also like to be "clean" so was wondering if that is an option.

BUT.. if it keeps coming down like it is now...

To be able to get off the farm and out to a road ... we MAY have to start eating it!

We are in the ice, freezing rain, sleet, snow intersection.. with a blizzard warning. And they just issued a tornado warning for an area south of us, headed this way.

So far, nothing but snow and wind.. so that is nice. Actually...

NICE my BUTT! Truth is.... the only reason it is snowing so much here this winter is because I am STUCK here when I should be in the deep south!!!!

Someone is trying to tell me something.

[lol]

But now that you mention it... a bowl of snow cream sounds pretty good!

And Maddog... you are just too funny. Dave, you too!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well Tin one,,,the answer is all of the above. IF you have a wood stove and can stay warm enough,,,melt it there.

On the other hand with proper boy scout preparedness,,,you dont need it.

When I was a country boy we were always without power sometimes too. Solved that one day when went to store and bought one of those noisy but effective generators.

My well plugged into a outlet. So when electricity went out one time with 30 guests in the house for Thanksgiving. Plugged the well cord into a special extension cord I made for it since it was 220. (that kept gas motor outside to avoid carbon monoxide fumes in the house or where ever they arent to be.)

That also gets you able to run freezers and frigs short whiles when needed. And a couple light bulbs.

You might even be able to run a 110 radio for weather announcements. And maybe a OLD throw away TV,,,dont think you want a good one as it may brown out.

definitely NOT a computer, unless its also a throw away item.

But it wont be so quiet you can hear a pin drop.

I keep a couple lamps for emergency use,,,but even playing cards with them isnt too swift.

IF you have hurricanes or severe weather that causes LONG outages its the ONLY way to go.

For the deep pockets, frequent users,,special needs people they sell natural gas automatic cut over whole house power plants,,,but thats a whole nuther story,,,and requires special wiring etc and maintance.

The small gen is cheap and works well,,but "cant" be plugged into a house electrical circuit,,,run your own cords to various things you want to run.

But when your on your OWN well and have 500-1000 animals depending on YOU for there water,,,best thing since sliced bread and just as good as those BIG gen sets they hook to tractors(THAT ARE ALWAYS PACKED AWAY TO FAR TO GET TO)

remember to use Stabil and use fresh gas,,as in the lawn mower/ snow blower can.

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Don...

As always you are full of good tips and instructions. I think we all should have a Just Don around. Life would be so much better!

The farm's well isn't here... its a good ways away. BUT.. we do have a generator. I never think about using the generator because, like you, there were always other ways to "do it". But that would be nice!!! Thanks for making me remember that modern tool!

We've got a real live blizzard going on here I do believe. 30 plus inches and still falling as hard as ever. Heavy winds and even thunder!

The electric flickered several times last night... but thank goodness managed to stay on.

I'm glad you shared the check list. Got my lamps/oil and a zillion candles. Got flashlights, bottled water, food, propane, weather radio... just a regular little girl scout!

Even have fresh gas.

And Ms. Safety here... is ready to watch for all hazards.

Thanks all.

[Big Grin]

PS... As for going out in it.... a team of wild horses couldn't drag me out that door.

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"PS... As for going out in it.... a team of wild horses couldn't drag me out that door."

But a bowl of ice cream would??

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

You really know how to pull on a girls heart strings and tempt them, don't ya?

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have only a dusting of snow on our hilltops. But we do have lots of rain this year.

My husband noticed that our cats will go outside to drink from a puddle, even though they hate the rain and rush right inside afterward.

Inside they will rarely drink tap water, but insist on filtered or bottled water.

Maybe they know more than we do???

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
db
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for db     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Tincup....hope you aren't snowed in and that you're ok!!! Sounds like you've covered all bases. Take care.
Posts: 153 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago, the local meterologist would actually include a recipe for snow ice-cream in his broadcase. Our family ate it at least once a winter for years - then stopped when they finally said that snow wasn't clean.

The meterologist told people not to make snow ice cream in any way for a couple of years after that.

I still think you could give it a try once.

Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MADDOG:
[QB] Hi TC

Snow, oh no ,never eat yellow snow.

White snow contains many polutants and mold spores it has picked up from the air.I would leave it for an old bear.

Snow is fun to slide in and fun to ride in.
But to eat it is a sin.

You can wright your name in it in yellow,
but only if you are a fellow.

Snow is a riot, as far as eating it, I woulden't try it.

MADDOG

Thanks, DR Seuss! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Tin! When's the next flight out?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement