LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » travelling out of country with lyme??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: travelling out of country with lyme??
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you won't believe this, well, maybe you will. i can't figure it out.

mike wants to take a cruise, well, heck, he SIGNED us up to take a cruise to jamaica for a week.

said it would be good to just get away. we'd be leaving out of galveston and gone for over a week, about 10 days or so, i think.

so have any of you travelled internationally on a cruise with lyme?

i swear i can't figure him out....one day he's the biggest __ in the world and then the next does this.

sigh....

i know to take clorox wipes and all my meds but any other tips?

like valium...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something for motion sickness!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did travel while sick with lyme before I was properly diagnosed. A couple trips were with friends for pleasure. A couple trips involved volunteer type work for medical missions.

Randibear, since you are going on a cruise, your living conditions will be typical for Americans. The water served will be safe to drink. Food will be good. You really should not worry.

On your excursions you will want to be careful, eat food that has been cooked well, drink water from water bottles only (make sure that they are sealed well before opening), pace yourself to enjoy the activities.

You should be fine as long as you don't try to push yourself too hard. If your tired, take a break. Same thing you'd do here at home.

And yes, I'd bring the chlorox wipes, and all your meds in their prescription bottles.

Pepto bismol, ibuprofen, benadryl, Bonine or Dramamine (for motion sickness), sunscreen, bug spray are all good things to remember. And if you forget something i'm sure that you will probably be able to buy it on the ship.

Have fun and take lots of pictures!

PS: If you want to adopt a really nice nurse to come with you and keep you company, I'm available!

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karen Mc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen Mc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear,
WOW--great for you!!!

Sounds wonderful

Get your stuff together..meds etc and try not stress over the details.

JUST GO AND HAVE FUN!!!!

Bon voyage!!!! [hi] [woohoo]

Posts: 423 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I come too? [Smile]

I took a cruise back when I was well, and I was frustrated because of the passivity of the experience, and the lack of choices in food and accomodations. (You couldn't just get off and pick a different hotel or restaurant.)

I'd probably love it as a restful vacation, now that I have Lyme. [Smile]

No driving, no packing and unpacking and changing hotels every day, no searching for restaurants, no wrestling with maps and bus schedules. No asking for directions in a foreign language. Well, you might do that, depending on where you go ashore. But far fewer decisions to make than traveling on your own.

Put on lots of sunscreen every morning, and lie around in a deck chair with a good book, or go to your cabin and take a nap.

Looking at the water was very calming.

I have been seasick on a small boat, but the cruise ship rocked very slowly and gently and never bothered me. If you need motion sickness meds, take it before the effects start, and it will work much better. Pack some, just in case.

There were also inside lounges with comfy chairs and big windows, to get out of the sun, and lots of entertainment shows every evening, where you could just sit there and enjoy. Sometimes the speakers were very loud.

Of course if you wanted to, you could swim in a pool, play more active games like ping pong (until the wind blew the ball into the ocean) and shuffleboard, dance, drink, or gamble. If not, just ignore the things that don't interest you.

And they have ATMs on board (with a high fee) and lots of ways to convince you to spend more money than you already spent on the ticket. But you can enjoy it just fine without doing that.

Look up your ship to see what all they have.

What they will not have is the movie Titanic, haha.

The one concern I had on the cruise was mobility/accessibility.

It was a long way to walk from one end of the ship to another, and there was an elevator, but I often ended up taking the stairs because the elevator was small and got filled up. Sometimes we had to stand in the hallway and wait to be let in for dinner or a show.

On the other hand, lots of elderly people with walkers, wheelchairs, balance issues or arthritis go on cruises, so I'm sure it is possible to manage, if you have joint or mobility issues.

I traveled to a foreign country for a couple of weeks before I knew I had Lyme. It was a very active trip involving constant siteseeing every day.

Every historic site we visited involved lots and lots of walking, standing and stairs. I couldn't understand why I was so wimpy that I kept getting in so much pain every day.

One time I got off the subway and saw that the escalator wasn't working, and started to cry at the prospect of dragging myself up that huge staircase. [Smile] (But I made it up it eventually.)

Then after riding in the car for an hour or two every evening, I would get out and be extremely stiff, and ache everywhere.

I just thought the walking was really doing me in, much worse than I expected.

I would wake up the next morning and feel much better, until I climbed a few more sets of stairs.

When I got home from the trip, I spent two whole days in bed, and blamed it on jet lag. I later eventually figured out that most of that was Lyme pain.

So try not to overdo it, and be cautious about signing up for shore excursions, if you're expected to walk quickly to keep up with a tour group. But lots of elderly people go on those, too.

If you walk around on shore by yourself, not on a tour, be sure you allow plenty of time to get back to the ship before it leaves, especially if you have to wait for a boat instead of walking straight on from the dock.

I remember running frantically back one time, afraid we would miss it. If you miss the boat, they will leave you there. You don't need the stress or the exertion.

There were a lot of buffets, and you could get food from one place or another any time of day or night. Tell the cruise line ahead of time if you have special diet needs, and they will accommodate them, particularly for the dinners they serve to your table.

Traveling on a cruise ship to a major tourist destination, you should be able to be comfortable and get things you might need.

If you go to a place where tourists rarely go, then quality and choice of food and water, physical accessibility, and availability of meds and emergency health care can be unpredictable.

Bon voyage! Sounds like fun to me.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh mike booked a mini suite which is i guess a large balcony room with king bed and even a tub.

somebody told me to buy a sea sick bracelet. said they are absolutely the best.

it's upper level where the suites are, lido or aloha deck i think. he signed us up for open dining at 6 cause i can't eat late.

well, dang, i get so po'd at 'em and then he does this.

maybe he just doesn't know what to do with me and my lyme.

even booked a hotel the day before the cruise and the day after in case i got tired.

hmmm, wonder what he did?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
GINGER CAPSULES are far superior to the tea to reduce nausea. Take in advance and never mix a dose - take several times throughout the day. Did I remember to say: never miss a dose? That's really important.

ENTERIC COATED PEPPERMINT pills might also help keep your G.I. tract happy all the way through.

=========================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9430014

J Gastroenterol. 1997 Dec;32(6):765-8.

Department of Internal Medicine, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taiwan.

Enteric-coated peppermint-oil capsules in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome

. . . an enteric-coated peppermint-oil formulation (Colpermin), . . . .

. . . randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study in 110 outpatients (66 men/44 women; 18-70 years of age) with symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.

Patients took one capsule (Colpermin or placebo) three to four times daily, 15-30 min before meals, for 1 month. Fifty-two patients on Colpermin and 49 on placebo completed the study.

Forty-one patients on Colpermin (79%) experienced an alleviation of the severity of abdominal pain (29 were pain-free); 43 (83%) had less abdominal distension, 43 (83%) had reduced stool frequency, 38 (73%) had fewer borborygmi, and 41 (79%) less flatulence. . . .

. . . .

PMID: 9430014 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
-

[ 02-18-2010, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this is his way of trying to help you feel better. A relaxing vacation might be a good distraction. And a nice way to lift your spirits.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement