LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » I just killed the Easter bunny

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I just killed the Easter bunny
sometimesdilly
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9982

Icon 9 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme claims another victim--- the Easter bunny.

My 7 year old son found his Easter basket this morning and promptly said- "thanks for the basket, Mom! ."

I said, well, its your Easter basket, honey, the Easter bunny brought it.

He said, "it isn't really from the Easter bunny, Mom. " Then he looked straight at me and said, looking very serious, "you need to tell me the truth-- did you give me this basket?"

My completely fogged over Lyme-brain took that question literally, and so I told him the truth- yes, honey I gave you the basket.

Then I told him- I'm sorry, I thought you still believed in the Easter bunny, so that's why I told you the bunny gave it to you.

He looked up at me, eyes huge, burst into tears, and said-- THERE ISN'T SUCH A THING AS THE EASTER BUNNY?????

After he asked me to leave the room, closed the door, and cried some more, he explained that he was very sad to find out there was no such thign as the Easter bunny, and that all he had meant was, thanks for the basket, and I can't wait to see the one the Easter bunny left for me..

OUCH.

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 9 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry dilly!

Does your son know the truth about Santa Clause?

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry.

It's always disappointing when they learn the truth about that.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks, moms. it really hurt to take that magic away from my little guy.

santa clause-- i think he knows there's not-- he has many friends with older siblings who have told him the sad truth, and he even asked last year--how come all the toys are made in China if Santa makes them?--- but he absolutely doesn't want to know-know, and I am NOT going to be the one to tell him, even if he injects me with truth serum.

Killing off the easter bunny for him is bad enough.

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Ohhhh . . . pardon me for compassionate laughter (as you do tell this so well and this will be funny in about 20 years). Be sure save your post for your scrapbook. In years to come, he may be very touched to read your feelings about this.

Is there anyway you can spin this by saying you work for the Easter Bunny ? Maybe after a sugar induced nap (his) you can tell him it was all some wild dream. But, first, you might check the manufacturing tags on that Easter Basket and contents.

He's a pretty smart kid to wonder about toys from China vs. North Pole. I never would have made that connection at age 7. He's also got some great interrogation skills there.

Also - while this is a cold shock, the warm love that is obvious in your home will make up for this. That's often how the Santa transition is eased - Santa is love - and finding out that that great love and care went into every gift still gives it that innocent magic. Not sure the Easter Bunny can be spun like that, though. Good luck with this.

Today's comic strip "HI and LOIS" seems relevant:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/artsandliving/comics/king_hi_lois.html?name=Hi_and_Lois
-

[ 04-04-2010, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julielynne4
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my...I really enjoyed your post - although I am really sorry! It was such a catchy title, I just HAD to read it...I really think that is a story you and your son will never forget! He will love sharing that one when he is older - what a great memory (although maybe a little sad at the moment).

How cute...very precious. That just lightened up my day (not that I typically gain pleasure from other people's pain, honestly!).

Blessings to you and your son - I know he will enjoy his basket, anyway! [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had the same stress and heartache last night!

I'm so sorry, sometimesdilly. It's so hard to see our little ones upset like that.

My 9 year old son overheard me on the phone saying that I still hid baskets and eggs.

He questioned me repeatedly and when I finally broke down and told him there was no Easter bunny, he got all teary eyed. This went on for a good hour.

My 14 year old girls then told me that I shouldn't have told him yet...and that he's too young to know the truth.

Then I felt so guilty and like I RUINED his EAster and wanted to take it back that my brain foggy mind said to him, "April Fool's!" I didn't get you the other day on April Fool's so I thought I'd trick you today! There really is an Easter Bunny!!!

How bad is that?

Then I had a very confused 9 year old boy.

We layed in bed after I tucked him in and all I said was that sometimes parents make mistakes(could be taken as either making cruel April Fool's jokes OR telling him there's no bunny too early) and that I loved him so much and was so sorry if I upset him. He hugged me and told me I was the best mom and that he still loved me.

So now I don't know where we stand. I don't know what he believes. Everything is kind of weird and I should get the parent of the year award...not.

Future therapy for my boy perhaps??

Posts: 423 | From Upstate NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Topaz,

Just too funny. Sorry to laugh at this tender situation. You also tell a good story - and you should also copy and save this for him to appreciate later on.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Topaz- Personally, I'd give you the parent of the year award for thinking fast on your feet -- a belated April fool's prank! That is truly inspired. [Smile]

Your son may have ended up confused, but you've given him the opportunity to choose to keep on believing, which is a great gift (as is the love you showered on him).

Keebler and Jules- It won't take 20 years for me to laugh about this- I already am. It helped that my son bounced right back. Within an hour of the dead bunny incident he said- well fine, I'LL be the Easter bunny, and proceeded to hide easter eggs all over the house for us, his parents, to find.

And, I hear you , Keebler, about the Santa Clause toys made in China thing. Not only would such a thing never have occurred to me to at 7, even as the geriatric parent of a 7 year old I was impressed by that feat of logic and deduction.

I wished at the time I could tell him so, but instead, having absolutely NO good answer (I still don't), I;m afraid I changed the subject as quickly as I could and just hoped for the best. [Roll Eyes]

Happy Easter .....

LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be too sad about telling them--they're going to find out the truth eventually.

I had quit believing in Santa Claus, after I went to school and was informed by the other kids that he wasn't real.

My parents got me to suspend disbelief for a couple more years, though, by assembling a large playhouse in the basement, that was obviously too large to have come down the stairs. [Smile]

Just no way it could have gotten in there without the help of Santa's magic.

(He possessed the patent ability of passing fat men and fatter bags of toys through narrow chimneys, upwards and downwards, not to mention really fast flying reindeer, etc., so surely he could get a slightly large playhouse down ordinary basement steps.)

That is SO sweet that your boy said HE would be the Easter Bunny and hid the eggs, awwww.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He will be alright just wait till santa clause
Hey kids are very resilient and in the end he will love you more for the truth smart kid sucked you right in. [Smile]

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because I'm from a large family (I'm the um...oldest) when I was in the service and I brought anyone home for holidays

I had to remind them, we still had Santa, the Easter Bunny & tooth fairies in the house for the sake of my younger siblings.

So at 22/23 I "still believed".

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry- the Easter Bunny has been resurrected. I saw him myself, still in Walmart,buying up all the goods half price to freeze til next year.
Posts: 365 | From Sylvania | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dilly,

You fell into a trap. It could have happened to any of us, ie Topaz.

I cringe every year at the holidays as I take Target gifts out of boxes and labels off Chocolates. This society forgets our children are years ahead of yesterdays (us) and aren't helping us keep up with their new found maturity.

Both of my children were told in Kidnergarten by a class mate that Daddy brought the gifts and Santa did not exist.

Your son is 7 like mine and he asked my husband about the bunny this year. I'm still not sure my husband told the truth when he said he said nothing. But silence in itself is revealing. Either way, their very smart and their realizing the truth. Hearing is another dimension of truth, but the thought was plainly there.

You are an example of love to us all.

I love his new outlook. He will get busy loving and giving like his Mommy taught him. Also, Christ has shed love through eternal life on Easter. I shall forever point out our salvation and it's great news as the bunny sheds his costume.

By the way Topaz...you talk about low. I still say, "you believe in Jesus, so why not Santa"....okay...I suck.

Love you guys and glad to know we all choose to be in the same boat. [toilet] [tsk] [shake] [confused] Childhood dreams to preserve.

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement